HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well I think it's finally over...

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Hab at it

vCash: 500
Well I think it's finally over...

Talks ended today with the NHLPA saying there was no progress. Here's the link:

http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=113764&hubName=main

It sounds like the league softened their stance on some issues, but remained firm on the cap, which they always said they would. I think we'll be hearing an announcement soon from the league officially cancelling the season.

Old
02-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it

It sounds like the league softened their stance on some issues, but remained firm on the cap, which they always said they would. I think we'll be hearing an announcement soon from the league officially cancelling the season.

DAMN!!! Fuc***g assh**es . I hate Betman and Goodnow!!!

Old
02-04-2005, 04:01 PM

It's far from over folks, close, but not done yet

Old
02-04-2005, 04:02 PM
onemorecup*

the players don`t get it , but they will

they had it too good for too long , this is beyond the blame game , both sides
created this mess, the owners stupid signings, the players and agents greed , etc
but the owners are trying to fix this mess to keep this game alive for the future. At some point you have to relaize that you can`t have it both ways, they don`t
want any risk , they want a free market with no regard to revenues, expenses ,
but the owners have had enough of this. Remember they are the owners , they take the risks, sign the cheques, but when I HAVE TO LOSE MONEY TO MAKE YOU
a millionaire this is ridiculous. Would you run your business to lose money???
We have to look at hockey operations only, you can`t expect Gillete to include his
non hockey related revenue to bail out the habs. The players better take what thye can get, this pie can only shrink down the road.

Old
02-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL

Stop dreaming.......

Old
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Hab at it

Quote:
Is this your same gut feeling that said they'd sign an agreement by last week?

Old
02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I've been optimist since day one. I still have little hope... But I don't think there'll be a season after all. I still think there's a chance though.

Old
02-04-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Is this your same gut feeling that said they'd sign an agreement by last week?
So what, I was wrong in the timeframe, big deal, dosen't mean they won't get a deal done...

if i'm right, alot of people are going to owe me some apologies here, and if i'm wrong, I apologize (again) in advance for falsely bringing anyone's hopes up...

I don't see why everyone is so sure that after today there is going to be no season, what's different from today's news?

I don't listen to anyting either side has to say in the media

Old
02-04-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Stop dreaming.......
we'll see Mooch, we'll see....

it's like you guys think i'm just hanging on to hope that this will get resolved, when in fact, I couldn't care less if this got settled, in fact i'd rather they stop talking, and just resume negotiations later in the year to save next season, maybe I know certain things

Old
02-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Howie Morenz

Stick a fork in it....

Old
02-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
we'll see Mooch, we'll see....

it's like you guys think i'm just hanging on to hope that this will get resolved, when in fact, I couldn't care less if this got settled, in fact i'd rather they stop talking, and just resume negotiations later in the year to save next season, maybe I know certain things
417, if theres hockey this year, ill send you a life time supply of Dil pickles! :lol

Trust me man, theres nothing more than id like for you too be right, but i honestly cant see anything getting done this late into the year.....hope is a good thing though!

Old
02-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
Stick a fork in it....
Apparrently everyone here is ready to do just that...funny how the NHL isin't and hasn't yet...

Stop the press, stop the press

E.J. Hradek reports that the season will be cancelled and that the NHL has ceased it's operations forever...

HF boards fans reaction: "Oh my god, it's over, no more NHL!"

:lol you guys are funny, you don't have to agree with me, but don't get all emotional until the final decision is made people

i'm not going to jump through the hoops that the media is placing for us fans on behalf of the players and the NHL...i'll leave that to the rest of you suckas!

Last edited by 417: 02-04-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old
02-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Apparrently everyone here is ready to do just that...funny how the NHL isin't and hasn't yet...

Stop the press, stop the press

E.J. Hradek reports that the season will be cancelled and that the NHL has ceased it's operations forever...

HF boards fans reaction: "Oh my god, it's over, no more NHL!"

:lol you guys are funny, you don't have to agree with me, but don't get all emotional until the final decision is made people
The final decision was made a long time ago. This is what you aren't taking into account. The fact the NHL has not announced it has thrown the towel doesn't mean they haven't done so.

The logistics to put a season on track is too complicated and offers very little rewards at this point. The fact is, there will be no NHL season now. It's not about what you and I think, or the gut feeling of a couple of fanatics. It's about logic.

The more time goes by, the less incentive there is for the NHL to compromise. We've reached the point where there is NO incentive for the league to compromise. To compromise at this point would be awfully wrong.

Most people who believe there is hope for a season base this on the fact there are still talks. This is an erroneous position because people do not understand that the NHL MUST continue to entertain talks. This is done in the unlikelihood that they would try to declare an impasse later. To declare such an impasse, they must have a "clean" track record of open talks while remaining firm on their position. Anything else, like cancelling the season, might be construed later as "negociating in bad faith".

This is why they haven't canceled the season officially. That's all there is to it. There won't be a NHL season. In two weeks, they may be talking again and there STILL won't be a NHL season this year. Forget it. It's over. This is just a spectacle to show good faith in case they go for the impasse, as well as to appease fans who aren't smart enough to realize a long NHL lockout will benefit them in the long run.

Old
02-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
At this point in time, it's not the players who are pissing me off, it's the constant media coverage and bickering from both sides that I see in the newspaper, my favorite sports channels and their websites. All I want is for everyone to shut up and give this a rest, this is getting worse than re-runs of "Friends".

Old
02-05-2005, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Vlad The Impaler]The final decision was made a long time ago. This is what you aren't taking into account. The fact the NHL has not announced it has thrown the towel doesn't mean they haven't done so.

The logistics to put a season on track is too complicated and offers very little rewards at this point. The fact is, there will be no NHL season now. It's not about what you and I think, or the gut feeling of a couple of fanatics. It's about logic.

The more time goes by, the less incentive there is for the NHL to compromise. We've reached the point where there is NO incentive for the league to compromise. To compromise at this point would be awfully wrong.

Most people who believe there is hope for a season base this on the fact there are still talks. This is an erroneous position because people do not understand that the NHL MUST continue to entertain talks. This is done in the unlikelihood that they would try to declare an impasse later. To declare such an impasse, they must have a "clean" track record of open talks while remaining firm on their position. Anything else, like cancelling the season, might be construed later as "negociating in bad faith".

This is why they haven't canceled the season officially. That's all there is to it. There won't be a NHL season. In two weeks, they may be talking again and there STILL won't be a NHL season this year. Forget it. It's over. This is just a spectacle to show good faith in case they go for the impasse, as well as to appease fans who aren't smart enough to realize a long NHL lockout will benefit them in the long run.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if that comment is directed at me, but, despite me believing there will NHL this season, I don't want it to come back, I think they should just shut down operations for the year to fix the financial problems, as well as the on ice product, nevertheless, yesterday's developments haven't made me change my mind, and i'mnot less confindent that there will be a season, people bring up time constraints, if the NHL wants to implement a 30 game or even 20 game season, they can, stop looking at the calendar, there's still time left, as evidenced by the on going talks, your theory of why they've kept contact is a good one, but the NHL dosen't want an impasse and neither to the players, trying to appease the NLRB will be the least of the NHL's problems should they reach that point, there's countless other issues which make cancelling the season impossible...

So be patient people, I may look lilke i'm talking out my *** right now, but you'll thank me later, and if i'm wrong, I truely, and dearly apologize for giving anyone false hope, but I wouldn't write these posts if I wasn't 100% sure, so give it some time before you all just write off what I say, if you stop listening to TSN and Sportsnet for another week or so and just be patient, and try to read through lines, stop thinking that the NHL wants an impasse (i'm not sure some understand the complications that this could bring) stop believing what people like Saskin say that there hasn't been any progress in 13 hours of talks, stop believing owners leaks that the season will be cancelled, I could go on and on...

You have to start looking at this whole process of negotiations as a game, everything that's said in the media, reactions, tones, silence, insults, news leaks, all play an important factor in this negotiation, even the way Goodenow left the meetings alone through the front door, it's all negotiation tactics, and although it may not make sense to all of us, it's capital in this process for both sides...

anyways, see you guys on Monday morning, have a good weekend

Old
02-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I don't know if that comment is directed at me,
No, not at all. I am just explaining to you why I think the NHL is still entertaining talks.

I still disagree with you that there is time left, though. It's February the 5th. What is the incentive for the NHL to close this deal? Even with a negociation blitz, the season would likely not be saved before next Friday. Then you need to prepare a mini training camp, sell tickets, Bring back over 300 NHLers currently in Europe. You also need to take into account some of them are not coming back because they do not have an out clause. And another problem is the fact several NHLers aren't signed right now.

So what do you do invariably when you are pressured and in a rush? You overpay for players.

All of this for a very short, meaningless season and a 4-year CBA the NHL couldn't live up with? It's not going to happen.

I forgot also to mention that several teams have been laying off their staff, not just hockey people. Some teams have cut off almost 50% of their personnel.

All of this tells me there wouldn't be any way to have hockey before (at the very least) Monday, February 28th. Add to this that the attendances are likely to be iffy the first month or so, I just don't see the incentive.

But you have a right to your opinion and have a good week-end too!

Old
02-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I'm realy tired of not knowing if their is going to have a season or not. But I can't wait until hockey starts back again.

Old
02-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Habbadasher

I live in a union town, and I am used to hearing both sides call each other every name in the book (these union guys are not very sophisticated), and then suddenly, they have an agreement. If both sides thought the season was done like dinner, they wouldn't be talking at all. This is killing me too, but I still have hope.

Old
02-06-2005, 09:50 AM
habsfan4life

Quote:

TSN.ca reported that over half of NHLers have signed in Europe, including a few of the games brightest stars locked into guarenteed contracts. Further more, there are hundreds of players without contracts for next season.

This season is a wash. Done. Finito.

Pitty too... I'd like to think that a wise man (or stupid man) could have created a lot of steam hyping exciting young players like Kari Lehtonen, Jason Spezza, Alex Ovechkin and the coming of Sidney Crosby.

Closed Thread