HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Texas Stars @ OKC Barons, Sunday 10/28 3PM MDT - RNH Will Play!

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 10:53 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
This was my viewing of the fight as well - especially the bolded parts.
Not sure how some posters are complaining that Bulmer "never had his gloves off" or that Teubert "jumped" an unsuspecting victim.

I'm far from convinced that Teubert has the tools to be the hand of retribution at the NHL level, but to complain about the beatdown he gave Bulmer is nuts imo. That guy got exactly what he had coming to him.
totally agree with everything in this post.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
IT was a fight that would make Stortini proud.
lmao at guys still mocking Stortini.

The Oilers threw a twenty-one year old kid to the wolves.
He was fighting everybody in the NHL when he was younger than Teubert is right now .... with no back up to speak of.

You would think folks would admire the courage that took, but I guess not.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:04 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:

He was fighting everybody in the NHL when he was younger than Teubert is right now .... with no back up to speak of.

I know a couple of guys who of thrown down with Storts in the AHL back in the day pretty well. And that's pretty much what they had to say about him as well. They said he was one of the bravest fighters out there because he's a tweener. He's not quite a heavyweight, but not quite a middleweight. For him to step up to the bigger guys in either league when he did, even if it was just to hug onto them, at least he was willing to take a whipping for his team.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:05 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

From BlueBelle's wonderful news thread, but very relevant to where this thread is now:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...oilers-in-ahl/

URL says it all, "hall-says-more-liberties-being-taken-against-young-oilers-in-ahl".

Old
10-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
From BlueBelle's wonderful news thread, but very relevant to where this thread is now:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...oilers-in-ahl/

URL says it all, "hall-says-more-liberties-being-taken-against-young-oilers-in-ahl".
Sounds like we need Tyrvainen to do his job and start playing Abney every night then.

10-30-2012, 02:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I know a couple of guys who of thrown down with Storts in the AHL back in the day pretty well. And that's pretty much what they had to say about him as well. They said he was one of the bravest fighters out there because he's a tweener. He's not quite a heavyweight, but not quite a middleweight. For him to step up to the bigger guys in either league when he did, even if it was just to hug onto them, at least he was willing to take a whipping for his team.
The guy was 6'4 220

Size of guys he fought his last year here.

6'2 205
6'1 206
6'8 255
6'0 195
6-3 222
6'4 190
6'4 204
6-2 200

So please tell me who he was stepping up to fight other than John Scott?

Old
10-30-2012, 02:16 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Sounds like we need Tyrvainen to do his job and start playing Abney every night then.
Problem is, you can't afford to start sliding guys like them into the lineup unless your top players start scoring like they're top players. Schultz of course has been amazing, but overall it's not like OKC has been dominating any games.

Old
joestevens29

Quote:
Send Abney to the ECHL and sign a legit super heavy.

Old
joestevens29

Quote:
Problem is, you can't afford to start sliding guys like them into the lineup unless your top players start scoring like they're top players. Schultz of course has been amazing, but overall it's not like OKC has been dominating any games.
You also can't afford to have your top players on the IR.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Maybe the added space that they'd get would help their cause? Hell at the AHL level I'd have Abney ride shotgun on RNH's and Eberle's wing for a few shifts if need be. This is a playoff team unless their stars get hurt, don't stick up for them and that could be a real problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You also can't afford to have your top players on the IR.
Bingo. I'm sorry but losing the contributions of a Curtis Hamilton, Kristians Pelss (as much as I love his work ethic), or Tanner House (see Pelss), I'd rather have Abney, Byers, and Teubert in the game to help settle things down a bit, and Tyrvainen out there as an equalizer.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

This much I agree with. Storts had a big role on the club at a young age and not a lot of backup.
For sure he was always game.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This much I agree with. Storts had a big role on the club at a young age and not a lot of backup.
For sure he was always game.
Didn't Laraque break into the league at the same age or very close? The fact of the matter is that Storts wasn't a very good fighter, he wasn't very intimidating, etc. He got paid a lot of $ to do his job and is currently out of the league and likely will never be seen regularly in an NHL jersey again. Was he brave? Sure, you have to be to some extent to do what he did (it's easy to call him huggy bear, but if you're on the receiving end from Boogard or Big Mac, some might adopt the same approach). That said he was 6'3" or 6'4" tall and heavier than Hordichuk, yet Hordi gets crapped on constantly despite throwing 'em like he means business.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Didn't Laraque break into the league at the same age or very close? The fact of the matter is that Storts wasn't a very good fighter, he wasn't very intimidating, etc. He got paid a lot of $ to do his job and is currently out of the league and likely will never be seen regularly in an NHL jersey again. Was he brave? Sure, you have to be to some extent to do what he did (it's easy to call him huggy bear, but if you're on the receiving end from Boogard or Big Mac, some might adopt the same approach). That said he was 6'3" or 6'4" tall and heavier than Hordichuk, yet Hordi gets crapped on constantly despite throwing 'em like he means business.
Laraque gets my full credit. Took on all the toughest heavyweights and in short order. I would have to say this guy could stand with anybody. Put fear into anybody. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have to go toe to toe with guys like Laraque nice guy or not. George fought an open style tos so could give and receive some big blows.

Really I have no problem with Hordichuks contribution. Eager, I have a lot problems with.

That said I'm pretty take it or leave it with the whole fight game as you know. I see less and less of a role for these players.

Just a note to thread as well. A lot of people are citing how invaluable Semenko was to Gretz and fair comment and at the time I agreed with the notion. But that boat has sailed and the NHL has much different rules, instigator and second man in is enforced, and with suspensions much more likely in todays NHL. It just isn't the same game. The people suggesting fighters have the same role are essentially saying IF the rules were the way they were which clearly isn't the case.

I think a lot of people in the thread WANT the rules to go back in time but it isn't happening so a lot of the past enforcer arguments are moot points. I don't know really how anybody could dispute that.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Can't really disagree with this. For how brave he was and the heart he showed, it just didn't make up for his lack of fighting skill or lack of actual hockey skill.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Send Abney to the ECHL and sign a legit super heavy.
Quote:
Bingo. I'm sorry but losing the contributions of a Curtis Hamilton, Kristians Pelss (as much as I love his work ethic), or Tanner House (see Pelss), I'd rather have Abney, Byers, and Teubert in the game to help settle things down a bit, and Tyrvainen out there as an equalizer.
Absolutely. Sign a heavy and tell Tyrvainen to target legit prospects and players if our kids keep getting cheap shots against them.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Laraque gets my full credit. Took on all the toughest heavyweights and in short order. I would have to say this guy could stand with anybody. Put fear into anybody. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have to go toe to toe with guys like Laraque nice guy or not. George fought an open style tos so could give and receive some big blows.

Really I have no problem with Hordichuks contribution. Eager, I have a lot problems with.

That said I'm pretty take it or leave it with the whole fight game as you know. I see less and less of a role for these players.

Just a note to thread as well. A lot of people are citing how invaluable Semenko was to Gretz and fair comment and at the time I agreed with the notion. But that boat has sailed and the NHL has much different rules, instigator and second man in is enforced, and with suspensions much more likely in todays NHL. It just isn't the same game. The people suggesting fighters have the same role are essentially saying IF the rules were the way they were which clearly isn't the case.

I think a lot of people in the thread WANT the rules to go back in time but it isn't happening so a lot of the past enforcer arguments are moot points. I don't know really how anybody could dispute that.
With respect to the bolded, I don't understand modern day enforcers TBH. You look at guys that play on the edge who get suspensions, so why don't the heavy's do the same? I'm not talking grabbing and pounding Crosby or something drastic like that, but if I played that role and I saw a cheap puke like Avery or Cooke run our top guy, I'd do the same to them and then make sure that I tuned Avery on top of it. I'd take the 5-10 game suspension if need be. I would assume that the team would take care of me because I took care of business. I'd be willing to bet if a goon did this once a year or every other year that he'd be a more valued commodity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Absolutely. Sign a heavy and tell Tyrvainen to target legit prospects and players if our kids keep getting cheap shots against them.
Abney should be able to take care of business against most guys. Tyrvainen should do just that, say Houston runs our top guys, then do the same to them, if you don't they have no reason to stop.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
With respect to the bolded, I don't understand modern day enforcers TBH. You look at guys that play on the edge who get suspensions, so why don't the heavy's do the same? I'm not talking grabbing and pounding Crosby or something drastic like that, but if I played that role and I saw a cheap puke like Avery or Cooke run our top guy, I'd do the same to them and then make sure that I tuned Avery on top of it. I'd take the 5-10 game suspension if need be. I would assume that the team would take care of me because I took care of business. I'd be willing to bet if a goon did this once a year or every other year that he'd be a more valued commodity.

Abney should be able to take care of business against most guys. Tyrvainen should do just that, say Houston runs our top guys, then do the same to them, if you don't they have no reason to stop.
I still don't know why Mac wasn't told to do this when the games meant nothing. Who cares if you give up a 7 minute PK, guys might actually respect you then.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yeah but then someone like Pat Quinn would bellow some incomprehensible sermon about giving guys like that honor and that you don't do it that way, back in the old day blah blah blah, when I nearly killed Bobby Orr with a hit, no wait, there was honor back then, just ask Ted Green, but speak up, the 6inch plate in the back of his head he got courtesy of a two hand slash to the back of the skull picks up AM radio stations and interferes with his hearing aid. There was honor back then, HONOR I say there was respect for players back then. RESPECT..

Old
10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Gus Schmidt

Quote:
I would prefer to see the guys that target our players get targeted themselves. If the league doesn't get them out of the game, maybe a player should take them out. Take a 10 game suspension and make a real clear statement. You target our players and we will end your career.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post
I would prefer to see the guys that target our players get targeted themselves. If the league doesn't get them out of the game, maybe a player should take them out. Take a 10 game suspension and make a real clear statement. You target our players and we will end your career.
Well arguably doesn't this lead to more of the same? What goes around comes around? When are enough careers ended through retribution. Who gets to blow the whistle to signal stop? Last guy standing?

Old
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
I still don't know why Mac wasn't told to do this when the games meant nothing. Who cares if you give up a 7 minute PK, guys might actually respect you then.
The thing with Mac is that if he got suspended 10 games but we kept him on the roster all 82 games, he'd make a lot more than if he's in the minors for all but 10 games a year (assuming that his contract isn't a one way). So especially for a guy that makes his money from pugilism and intimidation it makes perfect sense to do what he did to Staubitz that time.

Quote:
Yeah but then someone like Pat Quinn would bellow some incomprehensible sermon about giving guys like that honor and that you don't do it that way, back in the old day blah blah blah, when I nearly killed Bobby Orr with a hit, no wait, there was honor back then, just ask Ted Green, but speak up, the 6inch plate in the back of his head he got courtesy of a two hand slash to the back of the skull picks up AM radio stations and interferes with his hearing aid. There was honor back then, HONOR I say there was respect for players back then. RESPECT..
Respect means that you respect the opposition enough to not try and injure them by taking a cheap shot at someone. If you can't follow that "law" then you should be treated like the gutless puke you are IMO and Teubert's vigilante justice works quite fine in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post
That's all well and good but if they don't get hurt then what message is sent? If they run Eberle and we do the same to Granlund or another star player I would think that that star player would tell their teammate to chill the **** out because they don't want to get injured because of his antics.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Well arguably doesn't this lead to more of the same? What goes around comes around? When are enough careers ended through retribution. Who gets to blow the whistle to signal stop? Last guy standing?
Ending the guys career might be a bit much, playing dentist IMO would work pretty well.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Ending the guys career might be a bit much, playing dentist IMO would work pretty well.
Does playing dentist to a guy like Eberle really hurt him?

Old
10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Respect means that you respect the opposition enough to not try and injure them by taking a cheap shot at someone. If you can't follow that "law" then you should be treated like the gutless puke you are IMO and Teubert's vigilante justice works quite fine in my eyes.

This reminds me of the line that the trouble with frontier justice is that its frontier justice.

One of the inherent problems with vigilante justice is who is judge and jury to this and who does the administering. With those of course meting out justice being as guilty as the next guy at some point. Which goes round and round.

By this notion of justice somebody clubs Mark Messier from behind and takes him out of the game period because he had it coming... Which is pretty much exactly what happened to Ted Green in a time period where people figured there was respect and honor in the game except there wasn't, and it was dirty as anything.

Heres another notion. Throw chronic dirty ****s out of the game and have it properly determined by the actual sanctioning body, the NHL, doing its job for once. Have somebody in charge who WASN'T a hackjob themselves back in their career. This is like the fox watching the henhouse.
A proper tribunal of sanctioned justice would involve ex players that had their careers ended by dirty on ice tactics. THEN we would see some proper sentence imposed.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Gus Schmidt

If the league does not hand out stiff suspensions for trying to take out a star player, then they are virtually calling it "open season". Getting a small suspension for removing a puke from the game is a small cost of protecting your players. What goes around, comes around. The league has a responsibility to protect the integrity of the game. If they don't bother doing this then the "vigilante justice" is on their heads.

Closed Thread