HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

[OKC/HOU] James Harden for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations

Old
10-27-2012, 11:20 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 500
I can dig the trade for OKC.

Martin is capable, but he's just a stop gap for this season.

The real value here is Lamb and the draft picks. That Raptors pick is big time as long as Toronto doesn't strike Top 3 in the lotto. Presti is an extremely shrewd talent evaluator and chances are one of these picks will hit it big.

I know OKC was shopping Harden aggressively at the draft to get Brad Beal but both Charlotte and Washington didn't bite. I think getting Lamb and a likely Top 5 pick is very good for a guy they knew no longer had a place in the organization.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

OKC's ready to win now. Unless they flip these for another guy soon I don't see why they just wouldn't hold onto him.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Don't know what OKC is doing. I understand he declined you're offer but don't you go for it all with him? And if he leaves he leaves? And there was no better package you coulda got then Martin, Lamb and meaningless picks?

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Also, Woj:

Houston plans to give James Harden a four year, $60 million extension once deal is completed, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Question is, will he accept it?
Probably. I think the max they can offer is 4 years, $64 million and the most he can get as a RFA is 4 years, $58 million. The Rockets are going to match anyways so it makes sense to take the extra $2 million and sign right away. Don't want to take any chances with a major injury either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
I can dig the trade for OKC.

Martin is capable, but he's just a stop gap for this season.

The real value here is Lamb and the draft picks. That Raptors pick is big time as long as Toronto doesn't strike Top 3 in the lotto. Presti is an extremely shrewd talent evaluator and chances are one of these picks will hit it big.

I know OKC was shopping Harden aggressively at the draft to get Brad Beal but both Charlotte and Washington didn't bite. I think getting Lamb and a likely Top 5 pick is very good for a guy they knew no longer had a place in the organization.
A lot of people are predicting that the Raptors will challenge for a playoff spot in the East. I think they'll finish in the 8-11 range. I guess we'll see but I don't think the picks will be anything special.

Last edited by Avs_19: 10-27-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:28 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Probably. I think the max they can offer is 4 years, $64 million and the most he can get as a RFA is 4 years, $58 million. The Rockets are going to match anyways so it makes sense to take the extra $2 million and sign right away. Don't want to take any chances with a major injury either.
Good call on the matching. But I guess I'm still just wondering what was Harden's end game? The money, wanting out of OKC, or something combined?

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:30 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Don't know what OKC is doing. I understand he declined you're offer but don't you go for it all with him? And if he leaves he leaves? And there was no better package you coulda got then Martin, Lamb and meaningless picks?
Lamb is going to be quality (maybe not a multi time all-star, but he will be a good player) and that 2013 Toronto Raptors pick could be a top 5 pick.

They wanted to trade Harden for the #2 or #3 pick this summer. Trading him for Lamb and a likely #4 or #5 pick seems pretty good to me.

Of course, I don't consider Harden to be this potential superstar that some do. Harden is very very good, but I don't rate him as someone on the brink of superstardom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
A lot of people are predicting that the Raptors will challenge for a playoff spot in the East. I think they'll finish in the 8-11 range. I guess we'll see but I don't think the picks will be anything special.
Well then a lot of people are dolts. MIA, IND, BOS, PHI, NYK, BKN, CHI, are locks and MIL, DET, WSH, and ATL are all better than Toronto IMO.

I think it ends up being the #4, #5, #6, or #7 pick.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 10-27-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old
10-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
You people who are asking why they didn't just go for it with Harden are talking as if the OKC core championship window is closing or something. OKC can hold KD, Westbrook and Ibaka together and be a contender for the next ten years.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Kevin Martin is an excellent scorer when he's healthy, and he'll get to the line a ton when Durant is out. Who is handling the ball when Westbrook sits now?

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:39 PM
CupofOil

Pretty stupid of Harden to not take the 4 year deal from OKC which won't be that much less than the max deal that he will get, pure greed on his part and he probably wants to be "The Man" instead of competing for championships. It's a shame because that was an awfully fun team to watch.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:39 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
You people who are asking why they didn't just go for it with Harden are talking as if the OKC core championship window is closing or something. OKC can hold KD, Westbrook and Ibaka together and be a contender for the next ten years.
Exactly.

James Harden was the 4th spoke on this wheel and he wanted a max contract.

The core is intact, they get a good 20 ppg guy in Martin who is also expiring, get a blue chip guy in Lamb, and the Raptors pick which I am confident will be between #4 to #8 overall (I am also sure Presti is also confident the pick will be high). They win now, they win later.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:42 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Yeah as much hype as Harden gets he was still a sixth man last year. Good for him on getting a lot of money but he is what's wrong with the NBA

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:44 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

OKC got rid of that overrated flopping playoff choker Harden

Lets see what he can do without KD and Westbrick

Well done, Presti

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

Well done, Presti
Definitely a flopper. One of the worst in the league.

But I don't think he's overrated and he hit a lot of big shots for OKC. He was terrible in the finals but overall he had a good playoff run. He killed the Spurs in the WCF.

I think he can put up Westbrook numbers in Houston.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:55 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Houston also sent two 2013 first-round picks (from Dallas and Toronto) to Oklahoma City, sources told Y! Sports, as well as a 2013 second-round pick (via Charlotte). The Thunder will receive the Toronto pick this year if it's slotted Nos. 4-14. That pick also is top-three protected in 2014, top-two protected in 2015 and top-one protected in 2016.

Per Woj

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

LOL, am I the only one who almost read that Jeremy LIN was involved?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Bruv
kissin kevin shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

Well done, Presti
Harden flops.. a lot, but he is far from overrated.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

This was always going to be an option.

Either keep Harden for the year, and he will probably leave a free agent, or trade him while you can. They got a decent return, though. K-Mart will start, and is a decent 3rd/4th option. Lamb will play 6th man, I assume, he's a solid scoring SG, similar build to Harden.

Wow, still a shock.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Shocking trade. But I can see the logic. Be interesting to see how Harden responds to being the man. Also interesting to see if Aldrich can be an NBA player...

10-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Did OKC get better value for Harden than Orlando got for Howard?

Anyway, at first glance my initial reaction is that Houston won. I'm not a huge fan of draft picks in the NBA considering how many players bust. Harden is a legit player and has shown in the past he has the ability to contribute in the NBA.

But now that I think about it, it might be a win-win. Harden was never going to be a starter for OKC. His starting numbers are not too hot. He'll be getting a big contract to be a starter. For the Thunder, they turn their best bench player into 2 good shooters and 2 draft picks. Martin may be getting older, but I think he'll do well for OKC in a bench role, and Lamb gets time to develop slowly but well on OKC's team. And with PJIII and Lamb, the season after next, OKC might be able to field a 2nd team that is super talented. They also save on cap space.

Win-win trade, but there is risk for both sides. I'll say the risk for Houston is greater than it is for OKC. Harden's starting numbers aren't too spectacular(IIRC), and he'll need to step up and be a franchise player for that team. I'm just not sure he can. OKC might lose the 6th man of the year, but I think they replaced the scoring pretty well between Martin and Lamb.

10-28-2012, 01:03 AM
kanuck87

Great trade for OKC. If there's one thing that team needed, it was a long-range threat, and Martin is as good as it gets. He's also a great third option who doesn't need to hog the ball to be effective. All he has to do is spot up and Durant/Westbrook will find him all day for open 3's. Martin's game is such a better fit with those two than Harden is. Harden's skills are redundant with Durant and Westbrook. Getting Lamb and the Raptors' pick is just gravy.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:10 AM
CycloneLaunch

Houston got the best player, but this is a very good trade for OKC all things considered.

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:36 AM
kanuck87

OKC also gets Dallas first round pick this season. Dallas won't have Nowitzki for the first part of the season, and without him, they are probably not a good team. They're also in a conference that just got deeper with Houston getting Harden. If they don't get off to a good start, they may not be able to catch up, especially since Nowitzki is now 34. OKC might be looking at two lottery picks this season.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:03 AM
BwayBshirt

Am I missing something?

Houston "core" is now Harden, Lin, and Asik...

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
Am I missing something?

Houston "core" is now Harden, Lin, and Asik...
Lin
Harden
Parsons
Patterson
Asik

with Aldrich, Cook, White, Hayward etc off the bench is pretty not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
Well then a lot of people are dolts. MIA, IND, BOS, PHI, NYK, BKN, CHI, are locks and MIL, DET, WSH, and ATL are all better than Toronto IMO.

MIA, IND, BKN, are the best three teams in the east, BOS, PHI and CHI are very good but missing parts here and there. The Raptors aren't amazing, but they can compete with the Pistons, Hawks, Bucks and Wizards. I also lol'd that you have the Knicks as a lock for the playoffs. The average age of that team is "dead"

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:40 AM
darko

Harden is a better player but a healthy Martin should be a really good addition for OKC. I think he'll fit right in.

Win - win for both teams.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote