HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

History of DRM

Old
10-28-2012, 12:24 AM
parabola
BOlieve dat

vCash: 500
History of DRM

Super interesting.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Kestrel

I almost NEVER watch youtube videos that are that long, but that one was worth the watch. Didn't tell me a whole lot that I didn't already know (although there were a few tidbits), but still well done and interesting.

The DRM I find most offensive is the always on internet connection variety. Anything that uses that kind of protection, I will either pirate, or outright refuse to buy. Steam has its issues, but, as suggested by the video, I find it to be the least offensive DRM. The only time I had a real problem with it was when I was in Brazil, and my modem fried during a storm (I was right under the outlet when it went, and was gotten by a projectile spark - that was something else!) - it took a couple of days (while I was waiting on a replacement modem), but I eventually got a solid enough phone connection shared with my laptop to open up Steam and make my games accessible.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Johnny LaRue

The DRM now can indeed be obscenely stupid. Good video.

Johnny LaRue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Frankie Spankie

Good video. As far as DRM goes, nothing's perfect. You have no idea how many times I've flipped out at Steam because I get an error that says, "This game is currently unavailable" despite it being installed on my hard drive... They definitely do make up for it like the video says though with great sales, awesome community features, and actually having a company I feel I can trust running the show. Best DRM is no DRM, but next best is Steam IMO.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 150
Yeah I know some people hate Steam for the DRM stuff but personally I don't mind giving up something like the right to resale and the basic DRM considering the prices you can get games at and the convenience & extensive library of the digital store. DRM free is best but I'm a bargain gamer first and foremost. Buying & selling used games falls under the bargain gaming definition but Steam digital sales are so much more effective than trading in at a retail store, so it's no real loss.

I gotta say though there's really no excuse to keep tossing in the extra ******** DRM on top of what Steam or other digital platforms provide. Last summer sale I was pretty pissed when I bought Arkham Asylum but couldn't play it for a week because there was something wrong with the securom authentication servers.

I can't understand why publishers would do this? Only possible reason I can think of is if it ties into retail sale, if publishers wanted it in because the game will still appear on store shelves, but it would cost a good but of money to separate it out of the digital version. It's a ****** reason but the only thing I can think of.

Oh, apart from wanting to keep instal limits in so you have to buy the game multiple times.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Dukelicious.

vCash: 574
Haha, I remember that horrible piece of paper for Dragon's Lair

Verba movent, exempla trahunt
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:00 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Haha, I remember that horrible piece of paper for Dragon's Lair
I remember the Dial-A-Pirate. And one that didn't get mentioned was Maryl's codec in MGS2.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Frankie Spankie

That was MGS1, forgot about that. I remember getting to that point, granted, I was only 10 at the time, and becoming incredibly frustrated because I didn't know how to look up the item the guy gave to me.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote