HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official Arena Thread Part 6

View Poll Results: On what day will city council vote to finalize a new arena for Edmonton's downtown?
Between now and Christmas 2012 8 7.41%
Between New Year's Day and the end of February 2013 30 27.78%
Between March and July, 2013 16 14.81%
Before the October 2013 civic election 14 12.96%
Not until 2014 4 3.70%
Not until 2015 3 2.78%
Not until 2016 1 0.93%
Not until 2017 6 5.56%
Never 26 24.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I can find no source that list Winnipeg as 900K. Which is pure fiction.
Easy there, big fella. The CMA will reach 800K in two year, and 900K in about 6-7 years, based on current population growth rates. We should be at the 1M mark in about 10-13 years easily.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:48 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Easy there, big fella. The CMA will reach 800K in two year, and 900K in about 6-7 years, based on current population growth rates. We should be at the 1M mark in about 10-13 years easily.
Winnipeg is one of the few major cities in Canada we can look down our noses at. Don't take that away from us.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Winnipeg is one of the few major cities in Canada we can look down our noses at. Don't take that away from us.
Funny, that is exactly what we say about Edmonton. Small world

Old
12-14-2012, 11:03 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Funny, that is exactly what we say about Edmonton. Small world
There are at least 400,000 more of us and we have way more money and, according to this thread, pick up trucks, so our condescension is much more devastating.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
There are at least 400,000 more of us and we have way more money and, according to this thread, pick up trucks, so our condescension is much more devastating.
You are right; the pick-up trucks are the deal maker right here. I'll just have to tell my buddies back in Winnipeg who drive their Audi's, Lexus's and Mercedes Benz's that they just can't compete with Edmonton's Pick Ups. They will be crushed

As for me, I'm just an average schmuck who will never be able to afford any kinds of cars like that, no matter where I live. I'm cursed

Old
12-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Hey, i admitted my mistakes (and even apologized while clarifying), which is a lot more than most posters here do. Belittling someone for doing such can speak volumes of one's character. Keep that in mind when you're handing out your own version of high handedness....which we can usually expect in 3, 2, 1.
In fairness your "apology" came with a smackdown type of ring to it so I had trouble sorting out my reaction.

Can't we all be nice?

Old
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
WEll Edmonton could be closer to 2M in 13yrs. Not how its done guy. We're looking at 2011 census figures here obviously and for metropolitan regions. The other thing that need be considered is that Edmonton draws fans from anywhere between Red Deer and all of Northern Alberta. Frankly Red Deer and Fort Mac and many other Alberta towns are growing astronomically as well. So the real market as far as Oiler fans is going to even increase more relative to what the Jets have. Plus that the Oil just have, you know, a lot more fans anywhere then the Jets and partly due to those SC thingys.

Maybe you guys can bribe Saskatchewan to like the Jets or something.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
WEll Edmonton could be closer to 2M in 13yrs. Not how its done guy. We're looking at 2011 census figures here obviously and for metropolitan regions. The other thing that need be considered is that Edmonton draws fans from anywhere between Red Deer and all of Northern Alberta. Frankly Red Deer and Fort Mac and many other Alberta towns are growing astronomically as well. So the real market as far as Oiler fans is going to even increase more relative to what the Jets have. Plus that the Oil just have, you know, a lot more fans anywhere then the Jets and partly due to those SC thingys.:
That's all fine and dandy, but you can just as easily extrapolate for Winnipeg's case too. The entire province is at our disposal with no other provincial city competing with us, so that is essentially 1.3 million people right there. Plus there is a growing Jets fanbase in Northwestern Ontario and North Dakota and Northern Minnesota. Hell, we have fans on our forum from South Dakota as well. So that is almost an additional 2 million fans at our disposal. Of course not all of these potential people will become fans or even watch hockey, but the same thing goes for Edmonton's catchment basin as well.

Quote:
No need to bribe. Eastern Sasky (Moose Jaw and east) is slowly becoming our fanbase as well, since TSN Winnipeg is broadcasting out there

Old
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
That's all fine and dandy, but you can just as easily extrapolate for Winnipeg's case too. The entire province is at our disposal with no other provincial city competing with us, so that is essentially 1.3 million people right there. Plus there is a growing Jets fanbase in Northwestern Ontario and North Dakota and Northern Minnesota. Hell, we have fans on our forum from South Dakota as well. So that is almost an additional 2 million fans at our disposal. Of course not all of these potential people will become fans or even watch hockey, but the same thing goes for Edmonton's catchment basin as well.
pfffft, Half the people in Calgary are Oiler fans. Its a toss which team gets cheered for sometimes in Calgary. Its actually comical how loud the cheering is when the Oil light it up in the Saddledome. This will be even more the case with our influx of talent and Calgary milking dredge.

Quote:
No need to bribe. Eastern Sasky (Moose Jaw and east) is slowly becoming our fanbase as well, since TSN Winnipeg is broadcasting out there
TSN doing you a favor there. Good thing over all.

I'm just jk around. I'd rather have smaller market Cdn teams then US cities that don't care.

ps I was actually going to mention Dakota. I've heard you got fans there. Didn't know about Minny or Northern Ontario. Is the Leafs provincial fanbase slipping away?

Old
12-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Tedi

Quote:
WEll Edmonton could be closer to 2M in 13yrs. Not how its done guy. We're looking at 2011 census figures here obviously and for metropolitan regions. The other thing that need be considered is that Edmonton draws fans from anywhere between Red Deer and all of Northern Alberta. Frankly Red Deer and Fort Mac and many other Alberta towns are growing astronomically as well. So the real market as far as Oiler fans is going to even increase more relative to what the Jets have. Plus that the Oil just have, you know, a lot more fans anywhere then the Jets and partly due to those SC thingys.

Oh goody, million more leaf and hab fans transplanted here.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:42 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
pfffft, Half the people in Calgary are Oiler fans. Its a toss which team gets cheered for sometimes in Calgary. Its actually comical how loud the cheering is when the Oil light it up in the Saddledome. This will be even more the case with our influx of talent and Calgary milking dredge.
That's because you can get the best education for the Oil Field in Edmonton, but the best white collar Oil Field jobs in Calgary.

It's really challenging to find tickets to BoA games in Calgary. Those tickets get snapped up quick and they're pricey to buy on the open market. But still, totally worth it.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Play nice now, I was on a roll.

But yeah, good point.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:

TSN doing you a favor there. Good thing over all.

I'm just jk around. I'd rather have smaller market Cdn teams then US cities that don't care.

ps I was actually going to mention Dakota. I've heard you got fans there. Didn't know about Minny or Northern Ontario. Is the Leafs provincial fanbase slipping away?
NWO is practically Manitoba due to it's proximity and economic ties to Manitoba, especially Winnipeg. Tons of Manitoban's have cottages in the area, and play a huge role in their tourism industry. I would say after about another 5 years or so, it will likely be 1/2 Jets fans and 1/2 Leafs fans, give or take of course a few that cheer for other teams altogether.

Minnesota will likely always be a majority Wild fanbase. But in the far north (East Grand Forks, Bemidji and northward) there is a small but growing Jets fanbase building. It may never compete with the Wild, but it will likely have a decent presence, again due to the proximity of Winnipeg to these areas.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
In fairness your "apology" came with a smackdown type of ring to it so I had trouble sorting out my reaction.

Can't we all be nice?
Yes, we can. Today is a new day.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
NWO is practically Manitoba due to it's proximity and economic ties to Manitoba, especially Winnipeg. Tons of Manitoban's have cottages in the area, and play a huge role in their tourism industry. I would say after about another 5 years or so, it will likely be 1/2 Jets fans and 1/2 Leafs fans, give or take of course a few that cheer for other teams altogether.

Minnesota will likely always be a majority Wild fanbase. But in the far north (East Grand Forks, Bemidji and northward) there is a small but growing Jets fanbase building. It may never compete with the Wild, but it will likely have a decent presence, again due to the proximity of Winnipeg to these areas.
FWIW I know that geographically theres little distinction and Northern Ontario has more in common with Manitoba. Nice area, been through there a few times on the train but should spend more time some time.

Yeah I remember that "cottage country" seemed to stretch out a long ways from Winnipeg.

As you note Winnipeg has a pretty big catchment area for a lot of things being the only City of that size in the area on either side of the borders.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Some but most of them come here and their kids grow up Oilers fans. Same with all those not familiar with hockey from places like India, the Philipines or heck even California.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:40 PM
fysloc

So back on topic.

Surrounding development is expected to be ground breaking in spring on what seems like a condition the arena deal is finalized and ready to go too.

$2b in development planned and primary agreements in place.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:56 PM
aqib

I understand that the naming rights will be sold to the highest bidder since thats the way sports works these days, so I want to start a petition for the street in front of the arena to be named after Cal Nichols. He is really the unsung hero in Oilers history, without him putting EIG together the Oilers are in Houston.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
So back on topic.

Surrounding development is expected to be ground breaking in spring on what seems like a condition the arena deal is finalized and ready to go too.

$2b in development planned and primary agreements in place.
based on what?

Old
12-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Some but most of them come here and their kids grow up Oilers fans. Same with all those not familiar with hockey from places like India, the Philipines or heck even California.
Yah I know, I was just joking with replacement. New Oiler fans from everywhere are a good thing and if we can convert the odd leaf/hab then all the better...

Old
12-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Yah I know, I was just joking with replacement. New Oiler fans from everywhere are a good thing and if we can convert the odd leaf/hab then all the better...
Hmm maybe that was part of all the last place finishes, confuse leaf fans with how bad the Oilers have been they cant tell the two teams apart. Habs fans though, I think thats a religion.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:48 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

Having lived in various parts of Saskamabush over my life there are definitely some Jets hotspots in the province for sure. If I were to have to make a hard map though, I wouldn't give you guys nearly as far west as Moose Jaw as a fan base. You definitely have the South Eastern end of the province (our hockey team used to go to Jets games before they moved when I played in Rocanville) and places like Estevan and Yorkton are big Jets towns. Saskatoon and to the north and west of them is Oil country no doubt about it. After I left the south, I moved to Meadow Lake. Almost everyone in that town is an Oilers fan, same with P.A. and Battleford etc. Regina is split between the 3 teams. And West and South of Regina is Flames country.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
And West and South of Regina is Flames country.
With Mike Weir having faded into oblivion, I had decided to throw my PGA Tour rooting support behind Graham DeLaet. That was until I heard he's a die-hard Flames fan. He's from Weyburn which explains his odd affliction I guess.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:19 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I understand that the naming rights will be sold to the highest bidder since thats the way sports works these days, so I want to start a petition for the street in front of the arena to be named after Cal Nichols. He is really the unsung hero in Oilers history, without him putting EIG together the Oilers are in Houston.
I'll be shocked if the naming rights aren't given to Rexall, but I don't mind the Nichols idea.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Having lived in various parts of Saskamabush over my life there are definitely some Jets hotspots in the province for sure. If I were to have to make a hard map though, I wouldn't give you guys nearly as far west as Moose Jaw as a fan base. You definitely have the South Eastern end of the province (our hockey team used to go to Jets games before they moved when I played in Rocanville) and places like Estevan and Yorkton are big Jets towns. Saskatoon and to the north and west of them is Oil country no doubt about it. After I left the south, I moved to Meadow Lake. Almost everyone in that town is an Oilers fan, same with P.A. and Battleford etc. Regina is split between the 3 teams. And West and South of Regina is Flames country.
I agree with most of that, but with Regina, there is a growing contingency of Jets fans, simply because the closest NHL city to it is Winnipeg, and the fact that they get the TSN Winnipeg channel. I think there is a distinct possibility that Regina can eventually be occupied with a majority of NHL fans cheering for the Jets within a decade or two.

Closed Thread