HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official Arena Thread Part 6

View Poll Results: On what day will city council vote to finalize a new arena for Edmonton's downtown?
Between now and Christmas 2012 8 7.41%
Between New Year's Day and the end of February 2013 30 27.78%
Between March and July, 2013 16 14.81%
Before the October 2013 civic election 14 12.96%
Not until 2014 4 3.70%
Not until 2015 3 2.78%
Not until 2016 1 0.93%
Not until 2017 6 5.56%
Never 26 24.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
smokersarejokers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I prefer "bucket guy."
I hate that guy so much. At least flute guy and heavy metal guy play music. Bucket guy just makes noise.

I remember going to a game in 2010 where they got destroyed by some loser team like Columbus, it was like -30 outside, I was stuck in the LRT shuffle, and bucket guy was pounding away. I was so angry that I was just kinda numb.

My favorite Rexall regular is that guy with the permed mullet that scalps tickets at the LRT exit (where bucket guy usually sets up shop). He's been at that same spot as long as I can remember.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
i hate that guy so much. At least flute guy and heavy metal guy play music. Bucket guy just makes noise.

I remember going to a game in 2010 where they got destroyed by some loser team like columbus, it was like -30 outside, i was stuck in the lrt shuffle, and bucket guy was pounding away. I was so angry that i was just kinda numb.

My favorite rexall regular is that guy with the permed mullet that scalps tickets at the lrt exit (where bucket guy usually sets up shop). He's been at that same spot as long as i can remember.
theeeeeelllinnggggg tickethhhhhhhhhhh

Old
01-07-2013, 09:05 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
I hate that guy so much. At least flute guy and heavy metal guy play music. Bucket guy just makes noise.

I remember going to a game in 2010 where they got destroyed by some loser team like Columbus, it was like -30 outside, I was stuck in the LRT shuffle, and bucket guy was pounding away. I was so angry that I was just kinda numb.

My favorite Rexall regular is that guy with the permed mullet that scalps tickets at the LRT exit (where bucket guy usually sets up shop). He's been at that same spot as long as I can remember.
isn't that everyone's favorite?

that dude is rocking that old school 80s jacket too to complete the ensemble

Old
01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Charles Barkley on public funded palaces for billionaires. Refreshing to hear someone not sugar coating the issue of public subsidies for billionaire owners and their entertainment industry play toys that never seem to make enough profit.

Seattle seemed to be a common sense city that drew a line in the sand and let the Super Sonics bounce out of town over public funding blackmail. Now they fall back into the trap.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tn...-inside-5.nba/

Oh and maybe don't expect a free hot dog from this guy. It's all about the on-ice product now from a team that pressed its fanbase for twenty years of mediocre teams yet chargedcamong the highest ticket prices. Let's just get that new arena built and life will be amazing!
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...850/story.html

Old
01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Tickets! Tickets! I say, big fella there...tickets! Looks like Johnny Oates from Hall and Oates.

Have to give bucket guy credit though. Thick and thin, good weather and bad, he is out there pounding out some incoherent rythym on his ice cream pails!

Flute and his sometime guitar partner guy are stars though.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
Is Rexall in the middle of the slums/bad neighborhood?

The best look I've had at the surrounding area was on Google maps. Cannot wait until my first venture to Edmonton.
Put it this way. You go there to the game. After the game...you get the hell out. Nothing worth hanging around for.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post

Seattle seemed to be a common sense city that drew a line in the sand and let the Super Sonics bounce out of town over public funding blackmail. Now they fall back into the trap.
As long as there are more markets seeking teams than teams to go around cities will get blackmailed. We just have to suck it up and deal with it. We either want a team and will pay the price or not.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:27 PM
flarwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Tickets! Tickets! I say, big fella there...tickets! Looks like Johnny Oates from Hall and Oates.

Have to give bucket guy credit though. Thick and thin, good weather and bad, he is out there pounding out some incoherent rythym on his ice cream pails!

Classic. Neon Ski-Doo jacket, curly black mullet and all - that guy is a Rexall institution.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post

Bucket guy is a favourite. Always out there even after Oil Kings games. All events I think. Love his noise after a loss. Sounds like frustration.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Bucket guy is an abomination.

Guitar guy is awesome though!

Old
01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bucket guy is an abomination.

Guitar guy is awesome though!
Next time I go to a game, I'm going to ask him what he'd like to be referred as. I dunno, "Guitar Guy" just sounds kinda weak for the style of music he plays. Since every other city always views us as second rate how about we poke some fun at ourselves and call him "Nickelbag Neil"

Old
01-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
As long as there are more markets seeking teams than teams to go around cities will get blackmailed. We just have to suck it up and deal with it. We either want a team and will pay the price or not.
You make a compelling case for corporate welfare sir.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
You make a compelling case for corporate welfare sir.
Not trying to build a case. Just pointing out reality

Old
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Not trying to build a case. Just pointing out reality
The reality of your opinion.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Hockey Nightmare

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...owntown-arena/

Quote:
Good vibrations on Edmontonís downtown arena deal

Old
01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

If staples wrote that, it doesn't really count.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually click that link

Old
01-18-2013, 10:48 AM
jadeddog

i see this thread is the same people make the same old, tired, arguments.... i don't know what i was expecting, i should know better by now

Old
01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
From the article:

Quote:
There is no done deal on Edmontonís downtown arena project, but Iím hearing significant progress has been made between the Katz Group and the city.

Only a fraction of the outstanding issues remain to be resolved between the two groups, and a deal could well be in place by the time council meets on the issue on Jan. 23.
Just the first two paragraphs...and the most important part of the article.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
T-Funk

Same old tired arguments?? We seriously need to know where to park our diesel trucks!!

Old
01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Gary Bettman was spotted at Manulife Place this morning.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Wow, what a jerk

Old
01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
bellagiobob

http://www.630ched.com/news/edmonton...spx?ID=1867144

Sounds positive. I'll go with guarded optimism.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
Is Rexall in the middle of the slums/bad neighborhood?

The best look I've had at the surrounding area was on Google maps. Cannot wait until my first venture to Edmonton.
Honestly I think way too much is made of the "bad neighbourhood" around Rexall. It's not that bad, the residential areas around it are pretty typical middle class whatever. I haven't walked all the neighbourhoods around it, but when I go to games I park in the area to the east and it's just fine, relatively speaking.

What is true is it's very much in the middle of nowhere from a commercial perspective. When you come out of a game you pretty much have to get in your car to go somewhere to eat/drink, you're not going to walk someplace. But it's not unique in that regard. I went to a game in Anaheim for example, and it was exactly the same situation, you went through residential neighbourhoods to get there and it wasn't connected to any commercial centres you could walk to. I do like the idea of being able to walk straight out of a game and grab a drink in order to avoid the rush, or celebrate, make an evening of it.

Calgary is better in that regard, and I think that's the issue here. In Calgary you can walk out of the arena and hit bars and restaurants in a short walk, and over the 13 years I've lived here the commercial districts have continuously gotten closer. Now that they've developed the area around it (which used to be horrible, certainly more sketchy that around Northlands), there's trendy bars/restaurants and stuff directly north of the Saddledome. Same thing in Montreal and Vancouver, obviously, or anywhere else where the arena is downtown, so generally I think it's a great idea.

But my prediction with the current site chosen for the new arena is that the area to the North is a truly bad neighbourhood, and it's not going to get any better, it will remain the dark shadow of the new arena in the way. But on the other hand everything south I think will flourish and become yet another place to go in Edmonton.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Honestly I think way too much is made of the "bad neighbourhood" around Rexall. It's not that bad, the residential areas around it are pretty typical middle class whatever. I haven't walked all the neighbourhoods around it, but when I go to games I park in the area to the east and it's just fine, relatively speaking.

What is true is it's very much in the middle of nowhere from a commercial perspective. When you come out of a game you pretty much have to get in your car to go somewhere to eat/drink, you're not going to walk someplace. But it's not unique in that regard. I went to a game in Anaheim for example, and it was exactly the same situation, you went through residential neighbourhoods to get there and it wasn't connected to any commercial centres you could walk to. I do like the idea of being able to walk straight out of a game and grab a drink in order to avoid the rush, or celebrate, make an evening of it.

Calgary is better in that regard, and I think that's the issue here. In Calgary you can walk out of the arena and hit bars and restaurants in a short walk, and over the 13 years I've lived here the commercial districts have continuously gotten closer. Now that they've developed the area around it (which used to be horrible, certainly more sketchy that around Northlands), there's trendy bars/restaurants and stuff directly north of the Saddledome. Same thing in Montreal and Vancouver, obviously, or anywhere else where the arena is downtown, so generally I think it's a great idea.

But my prediction with the current site chosen for the new arena is that the area to the North is a truly bad neighbourhood, and it's not going to get any better, it will remain the dark shadow of the new arena in the way. But on the other hand everything south I think will flourish and become yet another place to go in Edmonton.
I think the reason it is considered a rough area is because of the few bars that are in the area are total holes. What's that place right across the street? The Northlands Inn or something like that? I've been in sketchy bars from Vancouver to Vegas, but man, that place even gave me the creeps.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Turns out he WAS in town, chatting with the Mayor, city planner and Katz group.

Closed Thread