HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Ben Scrivens Signs Two Year Contract with Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2012, 09:58 AM
LostInAwe

vCash: 500
Ben Scrivens Signs Two Year Contract with Toronto

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641294

Good News!

Old
09-12-2012, 09:59 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

About time.

Just Franson left now.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
veedubn1

Unfortunately, there's no details as to whether it's a one-way or two-way contract.

I'd guess it's a two-way deal. I'm sure Burkie wants to retain his flexibility in the event a more established (and reasonably priced) goalie becomes available.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Unfortunately, there's no details as to whether it's a one-way or two-way contract.

I'd guess it's a two-way deal. I'm sure Burkie wants to retain his flexibility in the event a more established (and reasonably priced) goalie becomes available.
I doubt Burke cares how much money Scrivens earns in the AHL, just like Holzer got a one way; it's an incentive to stick around and a sign of faith.

09-12-2012, 10:05 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

What difference does it make how much he earns in the AHL?

Old
09-12-2012, 10:08 AM
bradbirtch
go leafs go

good to hear

Old
09-12-2012, 10:10 AM
htpwn

Great news.

Looking forward to see how his game translates to the NHL.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:11 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

It was just a matter of time, Scrivens has loads of talent.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Excellent. Hopefully he has a good outing in the NHL this year. We'll need him and Reimer to show what they are made of for any chance at success.

Assuming of course there is a season.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
No surprise. Burke pretty much admitted he failed to secure another goalie so has to lock up Scrivens to backup Reimer.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:17 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
No surprise. Burke pretty much admitted he failed to secure another goalie so has to lock up Scrivens to backup Reimer.
What?

Old
09-12-2012, 10:20 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I doubt Burke cares how much money Scrivens earns in the AHL, just like Holzer got a one way; it's an incentive to stick around and a sign of faith.
Sorry.. I guess I'm confused.

I thought it was more difficult to send someone to the AHL if they were on a one-way deal? I thought Scrivens would have to go through the waiver process if that was the case?

Old
09-12-2012, 10:24 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

i like Scrivens. i hope he can prove to be more in the NHL.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:

I thought it was more difficult to send someone to the AHL if they were on a one-way deal? I thought Scrivens would have to go through the waiver process if that was the case?
One-way deals just mean you get paid 1 salary. Has nothing to do with the waiver process.

Good to see him finally signed. Hope he provides some consistency.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:28 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:

CURSE YOU EA GAMES, YOU STRIKE AGAIN

Nah, there's no difference. If he's waiver eligible it doesn't matter what kind of contract he has. The contract just dictates what kind of money he makes at either level.

Also of note, not sure if some of you follow GoalieGuild's twitter account but their lead guy thinks Scrivens has more potential than Reimer. If I can find an article on it when I get home I'll link it.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:47 AM
TOG26

Wonder if the two year contract will help us be able to sneak him through waivers if we end up picking up a veteran goalie? The bad side of signing college FAs is the short amount of time most are waiver exempt. Glad to have him locked up, like him and Reimer combo minus the lack of NHL experience.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
VasDimops

According to @VasDimops on twitter....the deal is 2 way in the first year, and 1 way in year 2

Old
09-12-2012, 10:51 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post

Nah, there's no difference. If he's waiver eligible it doesn't matter what kind of contract he has. The contract just dictates what kind of money he makes at either level.

Also of note, not sure if some of you follow GoalieGuild's twitter account but their lead guy thinks Scrivens has more potential than Reimer. If I can find an article on it when I get home I'll link it.
yes please.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyGuru View Post
According to @VasDimops on twitter....the deal is 2 way in the first year, and 1 way in year 2
What? I've never heard of that type of contract before. Who is VasDimops?

Old
09-12-2012, 10:57 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Am I missing something or are some people actually upset we signed one of the best goalies in the AHL last year to a good term?

Old
09-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
I think if true, this is similar to the contract, that Vancouver gave to Eddie Lack

Old
09-12-2012, 11:01 AM
VasDimops

https://twitter.com/VasDimops/status/245902182543667200
https://twitter.com/VasDimops/status/245911461023604736

Old
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post

I could definitely see why someone would argue that as I have argued it myself at times. Both goalies have some pros and cons to their games and it's difficult to say if either will reach the number 1 status we hope for.

From what I have seen so far, Scrivens has better athletic ability and quickness compared to Reimer, which allows him to make some big saves that I don't think Reimer could make. He also is a lot better at playing the puck and if he can work on this even more that could be a huge asset. A problem i've noticed with him though is he doesn't seem is focussed as Reimer. Sometimes he makes some bad decisions with the puck that leads to goals or dangerous situations. For example in a game against Phoenix in overtime when he played the puck when he should have covered it and it lead to the Coyotes putting on a lot of pressure in our zone. He also seems to be pretty inconsistent at the NHL level, but that was a small sample size so hopefully he can fix that.

Reimer has an excellent mental game. He doesn't let a bad goal or bad game bother him and is always very positive. You can tell that he still hates losing, which is good, but he just seems to get over it faster than others and move on. As I mentioned above he doesn't appear to have the athletic ability or quickness to make some crazy saves that Scrivens made, but instead relies more on strong positioning and using his big body. This method can definitely work if he masters it, and Allaire is a great coach to have for that aspect.

I think the lack of focus and consistency I see in Scrivens game would be an easier fix than Reimer's issues of less quickness and athletic ability, but there are no guarantees with either. Lets just hope that at least one of them turns into a true NHL starter.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Budsfan

If Scrivens contract is a two way this year, he will be able to play in the AHL, without having to go through waivers.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I think if true, this is similar to the contract, that Vancouver gave to Eddie Lack
Lack is a good example, two way first year, one way second.

Two way can matter for recall waivers, veterans making $105,000 or less in the A aren't subject to recall waivers (but would still be subject to waivers being sent down). Willing to bet the first year AHL salary is $105,000 to allow that flexibility, then a guaranteed payday in year two by which time presumably he's comfortably established on the Leafs or moved on due to other acquisitions in net. Seems sensible.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Closed Thread