HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Player Discussion: Marc Staal

Old
07-16-2014, 08:21 AM
bluedevil58

vCash: 500
Player Discussion: Marc Staal

He will be entering into free agency this summer. What are the chances that he becomes a Cane? Also, after the injury do you still feel he is still a solid d-man? What say you?

DISCUSS!

bluedevil58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 08:36 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Zero.

Quote:
“I saw those two guys go through it with the negotiations and all of the rumors that are impossible to avoid if you’re on the last year of your contract, and it’s not something I really want to go through,” Staal told The Post on Sunday following the Rangers’ buttoned-down 3-0 victory over the Red Wings at the Garden.

“You can say all you want that it’s not on your mind and it’s not a distraction, but it’s something that has to weigh on you,” No. 18 said. “I know my brother, Jordan, went through a lot of that early on in a season when he was in Pittsburgh and basically said, ‘Enough of that.’

“For me, the contract situation is definitely something I would like to take care of over the summer. That’s the goal, but that also has to be the way management looks at it, too, in order to get it done.”

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 08:36 AM
WolfCane

Our best bet was for him to win a cup in New York, that way he can play the rest of his career with his brothers in Carolina. It all depends on if he wants to win a cup soon, carolina would not be the choice and I don't blame him. However, if he wants to play with his brothers, hopefully Francis doesn't overpay for him.

WolfCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Not even worth considering

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I was thinking that also, but the Rangers already have $26M tied up in Girardi, McDonagh, Boyle, Klein and Lundkvist for next year. I'm guessing Marc will be asking for $5M+ (maybe more) and the Rangers have a bunch of offensive FAs / holes to fill.

I'm not saying they can't fit him in, but it won't surprise me if they don't re-sign him either (I guess it will depend on how he plays).

That said, I do agree the chances are not great that he signs here. IMO, if the Canes struggle again this year, Francis may un-hitch himself from the Staal train (particularly Eric) so it would eliminate that incentive. Also, even if he doesn't, with having to re-sign Sekera (if he plays well again) and not many other high $$$ guys coming off the books, there's not a lot of space/$$$ for Carolina to spend without unloading some contracts.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 08:57 AM
LSP Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I was thinking that also, but the Rangers already have $26M tied up in Girardi, McDonagh, Boyle, Klein and Lundkvist for next year. I'm guessing Marc will be asking for $5M+ (maybe more) and the Rangers have a bunch of offensive FAs / holes to fill.

I'm not saying they can't fit him in, but it won't surprise me if they don't re-sign him either (I guess it will depend on how he plays).

That said, I do agree the chances are not great that he signs here. IMO, if the Canes struggle again this year, Francis may un-hitch himself from the Staal train (particularly Eric) so it would eliminate that incentive. Also, even if he doesn't, with having to re-sign Sekera (if he plays well again) and not many other high $$$ guys coming off the books, there's not a lot of space/$$$ for Carolina to spend without unloading some contracts.
Assuming Sekera plays as well this year as he did last, and barring the trading of E. Staal, I think the chances of the Canes signing Sekera are near zero as well. It will take an overpayment in the $6-7 million range to keep him which wipes out basically any other move the Canes would be able to make.

http://www.capgeek.com/hurricanes/

Signing Sekera at $6 million (best case scenario) puts the team at $60 million payroll in 2015-2016. Assuming the budget is similar to this year that leaves $1.5 million to fill the gaps left by Tlusty, McClement, Dwyer, and Gleason as well as re-signing Nash (RFA).

I like Sekera a lot and obviously leaving opens up a huge hole, but in this case I don't think the Canes have the cash to keep him. Our best hope is that he could bring a mid-round 1st and/or a top-prospect at the trade deadline. Would hate to lose him for nothing.

LSP Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 09:02 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I can't see the Rangers just letting him walk. They'll either extend him or trade him before 2015, and I don't think Francis has what they want to make a play for him.

As for Sekera, $6 million is kind of high. Matt Niskanen didn't even get that much. He's probably going to go for closer to $5, maybe even less than that. Doesn't change their financial situation though. They're going to have to start shedding players if PK doesn't keep up with the cap.

Old
07-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I can't see the Rangers just letting him walk. They'll either extend him or trade him before 2015, and I don't think Francis has what they want to make a play for him..
Yeah, I agree if they aren't going to re-sign him they'll try and trade him first.

Old
07-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP Wolfpack View Post
Assuming Sekera plays as well this year as he did last, and barring the trading of E. Staal, I think the chances of the Canes signing Sekera are near zero as well. It will take an overpayment in the $6-7 million range to keep him which wipes out basically any other move the Canes would be able to make.
I totally disagree that the chances are near zero. For argument sake, lets say he gets $6M. So from a cap standpoint, that is only an add'l $3.25M ($4M actual salary depending on how it is structured) from his cap hit today. That's not a lot and there are plenty of moves the team can make to offset that as the goal is to be a better team and backfilling guys like Tlusty, Dwyer, and Gleason with cheaper alternatives is better for the team than losing Sekera. Also, the goalie situation can be resolved in some form (even withholding salary on Ward for instance).

If he plays well (and the team does well), my guess is the Canes will do everything they can to re-sign him even if it means making other moves. It's also a 1 year issue at most. Ward, Khudobin, E.Staal, Gerbe, Liles and Harrison ALL are UFAs the following season, so the team has a bunch of flexibility and doesn't have to be short-sighted for 1 year.

If the Canes suck and are in a sell mode, then all bets are off.

Old
07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
LSP Wolfpack

Quote:
I can't see the Rangers just letting him walk. They'll either extend him or trade him before 2015, and I don't think Francis has what they want to make a play for him.

As for Sekera, $6 million is kind of high. Matt Niskanen didn't even get that much. He's probably going to go for closer to $5, maybe even less than that. Doesn't change their financial situation though. They're going to have to start shedding players if PK doesn't keep up with the cap.
You are saying Sekera is going to get less than Brooks Orpik? Sekera put up more ppg than Niskanen while playing on a vastly inferior team. He is a more complete D than Niskanen, playing in all situations and arguably better in the defensive zone.

I'd take Sekera over Niskanen, Markov, and Orpik who all made $5.5+ million last year. With the Cap only slated to rise, I see him making $6+ million easy on the open market.

LSP Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 09:34 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Aside from this year Sekera has one other season on which he even broke 20 points. If you expect anything close to what he did last year you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Because Brooks Orpik Orpik was overpaid doesn't mean that it'll happen to every defenseman going forward.

Old
07-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
I don't want him. He really isn't very good. Atrocious with the puck on his stick. Certainly won't be worth what he'll cost on the market.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
bleedgreen

People scoff at the jstaal trade because "we just could've had him in free agency". I don't agree with that at all, I think a trade is the only way we get guys like this. He will eventually re sign wth New York and if he actually goes ufa I doubt he comes here so if we want him we have to trade for him. Mstaal was never coming here as a free agent IMO. Family affection isn't enough to potentially throw your career goals away by coming here. If rf can turn the boat around and make is look like a more desirable place to play, maybe. Free agents don't bang down our doors, not even to play with their bro's.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
wallym

vCash: 615
I think the best thing the Canes can do to land the 3rd Staal, is make the playoffs and hope NY doesn't have the money to resign him. But it's a long shot. NY is just a good fit.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 10:22 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I don't think I'd be able to tolerate watching this team suck badly AND trade major assets for another Staal.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 10:23 AM
bluedevil58

I look at it as more of a business/marketing move and not a move that would be best for winning. But maybe best for long-term revenue. You know the Staal brothers being the selling point of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Old
07-16-2014, 10:27 AM
VAcaniac
Meet the real Anton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't think I'd be able to tolerate watching this team suck badly AND trade major assets for another Staal.
+1,000,000

Just move the team to Thunder Bay already.

VAcaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 10:27 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
I look at it as more of a business/marketing move and not a move that would be best for winning. But maybe best for long-term revenue. You know the Staal brothers being the selling point of the Carolina Hurricanes.
That's exactly why it would seem intolerable. Talk about re-living the Hartford experience.

Old
07-16-2014, 10:29 AM
VAcaniac
Meet the real Anton.

Quote:
Yeah Jordan and Eric didn't put very many butts in the seats last year.

They actually have to produce.

Old
07-16-2014, 10:31 AM
bluedevil58

Oh I agree. But from a marketing stand point. I can see why management would make the decision to acquire Marc.

Old
07-16-2014, 10:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh I agree. But from a marketing stand point. I can see why management would make the decision to acquire Marc.
This is yet another case where we have to remember that Don Waddell is now in the front office. Remember when he (allegedly) started acquiring a certain type of player in order to market them in Atlanta? It could be the same thing here, except with gangly Canadian family members instead of racial minorities.

Old
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
RodTheBawd

Quote:
This is yet another case where we have to remember that Don Waddell is now in the front office. Remember when he (allegedly) started acquiring a certain type of player in order to market them in Atlanta? It could be the same thing here, except with gangly Canadian family members instead of racial minorities.
This post, I like it.

RodTheBawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
bluedevil58

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old
07-16-2014, 11:35 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
that sure is some BBcode usage right there, i tell you hywut

don waddell is secretly a genius btw

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 12:00 PM
VAcaniac
Meet the real Anton.

I will never forget the one game in Atlanta I went to. It was the most boring and hockey-uneducated crowd I'd ever seen.