HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Outspoken Players on Various Teams

Old
10-28-2012, 08:10 AM
JMT21

vCash: 500
Outspoken Players on Various Teams

We've all heard from guys like Toews, Suter, Parise, Barch, Roy, Crosby, Ovie etc.

Haven't heard much from guys on teams like the Blue Jackets & Panthers.

So... what kind a talk/chatter/interviews have you heard from players on your favorite team?

As far as the Jets are concerned...... Ladd has given a few interviews but has remained guarded with his words..... fairly respectful and not too antagonistic... something I'm glad to see from the Captain.

Hainsey also gave an interview recently and came across like a complete ******. Could be because he's the player rep for the Jets.

Stuart and Slater have both given interviews and remained quite respectful... impression given that they want this nonsense settled.

No whiny Twitter action from any Jets players that I've come across. No Facebook Ferrari pictures either

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Roof Daddy

Most of the players that matter on the Oilers are all playing in the A. Don't think any of the others have been very vocal. Suter coming out and complaining is ridiculous though, considering he's still getting paid 12mil in bonus money right now. Major ******.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Gormo
Holupchi

Most of those guys are ridiculous and do not help their cause.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:52 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1087
Hainsey is the only Jet that is comming off as an *******. The NHLPA would have been much better off PR wise if the put a gag order on the players. Every time one of them speaks they look more spoiled and out of touch.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
The only person who's been really vocal for the Avs so far has been Landeskog, and that was more at the start of this (he was in that NHLPA message to the fans thing). Since then he hasn't done it as much though, maybe someone told him that as a 19 year old who made 3 million in his first season he doesn't really have a right to complain about how he's paid.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:20 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

couture came up with this gem last night:

Logan Couture ‏@Logancouture
Ever been told ur family? Then told, wait, I'm gonna reach into your wallet and take 25% of ur income. That's how NHL owners are these days

unsurprisingly, people started to flame him...and he kept right on complaining back at them

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:16 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Hainsey is the only Jet that is comming off as an *******. The NHLPA would have been much better off PR wise if the put a gag order on the players. Every time one of them speaks they look more spoiled and out of touch.
Worst I saw was Wheeler retweeted that super moron, ( might be his agent, not sure).

Don't recall any Flyer tweeting anything about the lockout ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:02 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Fortunately, LA Kings' players have been silent.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The Senators players have been pretty silent, Chris Phillips has been in the paper spewing the usual PA stuff but toned down (looking for a fair deal).

We get to see and hear the big name players because that is who the PA is fighting for, they've already agreed to throw future players under the bus so lesser known, but more importantly, lesser paid players won't be looking to draw a whole lot of attention to them since the PA is not fighting for them.
Obviously with twitter and all that non sense some lesser players still make their views known (Brasch, Roy) but they are mostly made fun of or put in their place by fans replying to them. This is why the big name players mostly talk out in interviews: they are insulated from any potential argument that could prove them wrong.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:16 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Sharks players have been relatively quiet (either don't have twitter or are in Europe).

Couture, Clowe have had twitter wars with some.

Boyle has been pretty outspoken to local media. Marleau has even commented on it as has Stuart.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( ē_ē)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Schneider tweeted about contracts being honored and Bieska made a remark or two but nothing that stood out. For the most part, Vancouver has been dead silent.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:36 PM
candyman82

For the Blue Jackets, Vinny Prospal and Derek Dorsett have been two of the more outspoken players

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:38 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Miller's done some big talking. He's smarter than the average player, but still says things with a distinct spin that aint coming out of reality.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:41 PM
BlueChip01

Add JJ to the list:

Jack Johnson: "The concept that the owners are trying to dismantle existing contracts that they in good faith offered, signed, and (1)

committed to is appalling, unprofessional and disgraceful." (2)

retweeted from none other than Walsha

These morons should really watch what they say. They are talking about the very people who put food on their table.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:24 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Add JJ to the list:

Jack Johnson: "The concept that the owners are trying to dismantle existing contracts that they in good faith offered, signed, and (1)

committed to is appalling, unprofessional and disgraceful." (2)

retweeted from none other than Walsha

These morons should really watch what they say. They are talking about the very people who put food on their table.
Here's more on Jack Jhonson.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/28/...n-slams-owners
"I negotiated my own contract, without an agent, with the confidence and belief that the owner offering me that contract operated by the same convictions and principals as I do. During the summer, the players offered to play through negotiations and the owners locked us out.

"We want to play hockey! Where is the honor? I'm ready to play and uphold my end of the deal!"

I wish someone would clear up the mystery for these guys. They simply can't understand why the owners locked them out instead of starting the season with no CBA.
They've been asking this same question since the lockout began,and they seem to be completely flummoxed.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:34 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Ever been told ur family? Then told, wait, I'm gonna reach into your wallet and take 25% of ur income. That's how NHL owners are these days

unsurprisingly, people started to flame him...and he kept right on complaining back at them
What's his twitter? with the NHL out, i need all the other entertainment I can get.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:30 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
What's his twitter? with the NHL out, i need all the other entertainment I can get.
he deleted all the comments after the backlash..

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
If there were an NHLPA gag order, the notion that there are lots of players who are against what Fehr and the PA leadership are doing would carry more weight. So there's this situation with no gag order and yet there's not one NHLPA member taking a stand against the union position - players are either silent or pro-PA/anti-owner.

It's a better demonstration of solidarity if you have no gag order and no one's speaking out. How much of that is true commitment to the PA and how much is fear is hard to gauge. I believe Fehr has the players convinced that the owners are trying to screw them out of a deal (e.g. 57% HRR entitlement, honoring signed contracts, etc.) and that even if you're not 100% on board, speaking out would damage the solidarity and torpedo the PA's chances at the negotiating table.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Vieille Barbe
Radko's Modern Life

Lightning players have been relatively quiet, but I don't really follow the Twitterverse closely. As far as comments to the local media, Marty St. Louis has probably been heard from the most. His take seems to be that getting something done has to involve give and take from both sides, but the owners currently have a mostly one-sided view.

Last edited by Vieille Barbe: 10-29-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Vieille Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The Senators players have been pretty silent, Chris Phillips has been in the paper spewing the usual PA stuff but toned down (looking for a fair deal).
From a Sens point of view, the saddest comments are Alfie saying like he may have played his last game and that he is OK with it.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Here's more on Jack Jhonson.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/28/...n-slams-owners
"I negotiated my own contract, without an agent, with the confidence and belief that the owner offering me that contract operated by the same convictions and principals as I do. During the summer, the players offered to play through negotiations and the owners locked us out.

"We want to play hockey! Where is the honor? I'm ready to play and uphold my end of the deal!"

I wish someone would clear up the mystery for these guys. They simply can't understand why the owners locked them out instead of starting the season with no CBA.
They've been asking this same question since the lockout began,and they seem to be completely flummoxed.
But I get Jack's point though. It's also hard to figure out why the owners are saying their cannot afford continuing like they have been doing yet they offered these big contracts to certain guys. What Suter and Parise got was ridiculous.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But I get Jack's point though. It's also hard to figure out why the owners are saying their cannot afford continuing like they have been doing yet they offered these big contracts to certain guys. What Suter and Parise got was ridiculous.
you still have to stay competitive

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
You stay competitive or allow the other teams to get those players

You offer ridiculous contracts due to market place constraints because if you don't then players go to other teams

You can't all agree to pay less for the players before a new CBA because it is then collusion and you go to jail

Not meant to be an excuse as much as an explanation of what happened in the off season.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Do these idiots have no conscience?
Exaggerating numbers to try to justify their "cause"?

Disgusting!

It's like almost all of the players are unaware that the latest offer from the owners included making contracts whole.

How could that be?

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
I know, it was ridiculous on all sides.

What I am tired of though is the players endlessly repeating that they are ready to play if only the owners hadn't locked them out. A look at the history of their leader should clear that up for them pretty quick so there is no sense endlessly repeating a question that has an answer that everyone seems to be aware of except for the players.

It is one of the talking points for the PA so they seem to think it useful, but it makes the players look ill informed and naive..

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote