HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
One side will eventually cave and swallow a deal they aren't happy with.
Leading to strike/lockout 2018.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:51 PM
albator71

People said the same thing in 2004-05, that the NHL was dead, and the NHL came back stronger and better than ever.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Would be an interesting way for the players to flip the bird to the owners. Even the teams that are losing money still have a lot of value in their franchise on the order of $100m up to $1b. So the league ceasing to exist would pretty much wipe out nearly all of that value and would pale in comparison to a little more "make whole" money or agreeing to 8 year max contracts.

I imagine it must be a pretty far-fetched possibility since the owners don't appear to be afraid of it.

I don't imagine there's anything the current owners could do to prevent the players they locked out from joining or even creating a new league though.

Imagine a few of the highest paid stars each teaming up to be player/owners to start their own team for a 10-20 team league. I wonder if they would be able to pay their players enough entice them instead of opting to play overseas.

Totally out there, but still it's nice to dream of a way for the players to really stick it to the owners, and completely decimating the billions of dollars the teams have built up in their franchise values would be the ultimate way to do so.

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:03 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
I sure hope so.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Nice Try. Barclays has 20 teams. The NHL thirty. All Barclays teams are making money. Having 10 more teams(all of which lose money) is a deal breaker.
I was speaking to the claim that the EPL was the most successful sports league in the world. Not claiming the NHL is, but the EPL economics are closer to the NHL than, say a really successful sports league like the NFL.

Quote:
The Premier League's 20 clubs collectively made a loss of £361m last year, after spending all of their record £2.3bn income. Of the clubs which were in the Premier League in 2010‑11, the year of most clubs' latest published accounts, eight made a profit, of £97.4m in total.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...010-11-profits

8/20 making a profit? That's worse than the NHL...

And the Championship (which would bring the combined total up to 40 teams) is a Coyotean money pit of the first order:

Quote:
Revenue in the Football League Championship increased by £17m (4%) to £423m, prompted by an increase in the solidarity payments from the Premier League and the promotion of some larger clubs into the division.

Whilst Championship revenues have held up well, a wages/revenue ratio of 90%, combined operating losses of £130m and record pre-tax losses of £189m, are a cause for concern. It is therefore encouraging that in April 2012 Championship clubs agreed to the implementation of new financial fair play regulations that aim to help clubs reduce the level of annual losses.
http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/u...56f00aRCRD.htm

Yes, when you're losing £130 million on £423 million in revenues, you'd better be aiming to reduce the losses!

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
People said the same thing in 2004-05, that the NHL was dead, and the NHL came back stronger and better than ever.
The world has changed.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I was speaking to the claim that the EPL was the most successful sports league in the world. Not claiming the NHL is, but the EPL economics are closer to the NHL than, say a really successful sports league like the NFL.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...010-11-profits

8/20 making a profit? That's worse than the NHL...

And the Championship (which would bring the combined total up to 40 teams) is a Coyotean money pit of the first order:

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/u...56f00aRCRD.htm

Yes, when you're losing £130 million on £423 million in revenues, you'd better be aiming to reduce the losses!
Mea Culpa. I was wrong.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:32 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

I'd happily watch the NHL fold, and all its players go get real jobs.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:55 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I'd happily watch the NHL fold, and all its players go get real jobs.
Funny, I was suggesting that 4 to 6 months ago We already saw that with the World Hockey Association... Would be fun to see NHL trying to get back their teams or what about Kontinentalnaļa Hokkeļnaļa Liga (KHL) expending in America Would NHL deserve that?

calmdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
Would be an interesting way for the players to flip the bird to the owners. Even the teams that are losing money still have a lot of value in their franchise on the order of $100m up to $1b. So the league ceasing to exist would pretty much wipe out nearly all of that value and would pale in comparison to a little more "make whole" money or agreeing to 8 year max contracts.

I imagine it must be a pretty far-fetched possibility since the owners don't appear to be afraid of it.

I don't imagine there's anything the current owners could do to prevent the players they locked out from joining or even creating a new league though.

Imagine a few of the highest paid stars each teaming up to be player/owners to start their own team for a 10-20 team league. I wonder if they would be able to pay their players enough entice them instead of opting to play overseas.

Totally out there, but still it's nice to dream of a way for the players to really stick it to the owners, and completely decimating the billions of dollars the teams have built up in their franchise values would be the ultimate way to do so.
The bird flipped would be directly at themselves. All those 3rd and 4th liners that belong in minor professional leagues will have trouble even finding a job in another league, since there is already younger and comparable talent playing in it, and if they did get the job, they'd see a pay cut from a couple million down to what a store manager at a fast food joint makes. A handful of players would end up making more in the KHL, but most of them will see a big pay reduction.

I'm all for it.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:52 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

....and I feel fine.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:35 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Want this to happen more than ever now.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:32 PM
du5566*

I just want hockey. Is that too much to ask for?

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:35 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Apparently it is.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

......Why would anyone want to see the NHL dissolve?

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
......Why would anyone want to see the NHL dissolve?
It already is. Nothing lasts forever.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Quote:
It already is. Nothing lasts forever.
The current CBA negotiations are not going to cause the NHL to dissolve.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
So you think the season will still happen and their will be a 2013-14 season??? Nope. NHL is done. These people are immature on both sides.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Quote:
So you think the season will still happen and their will be a 2013-14 season??? Nope. NHL is done. These people are immature on both sides.
Come on.

The main holdup of negotiations right now is whether the CBA will be 8 or 10 years, 5% variance and term length of contracts.

You seriously think that we are going to lose a season based those terms?

The NHL and the NHLPA are just trying to squeeze each other for the last bit of concession. I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal done next time the two sides meet.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

vCash: 50
You could just watch the AHL?

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
It's the lack of negotiation that will dissolve the league.

NHL is nothing to me - some memories - that's it. What do they bring to the table anyway? lately nothing but trouble - expansion into areas that do no want or even care about hockey. Owners and commissioner that have no clue about hockey. All the league supplies are increasingly retarded rules, and incompetent officials.

The decent players - most of them - will end up playing for the teams that come out of the ashes of the NHL. The old nhl might try to hang on, but it will not be taken seriously. Scabs and wash outs there - a lesser league than the AHL.

**** you NHL!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It boggles the mind that this thread is still a thing. The NHL owners are going to give up billions of dollars in franchise valuation over the differences that currently exist in the NHL and NHLPA proposals?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:57 PM
JMROWE

The NHL. will never dessolve but it will be turned on its ear if the NHL. loses another season do to a work stopage with some major changes over the length of time of the new CBA. . Amung thoses changes I think would be firring Gary Bettman & Bill Daliy along with some relocations or even some contractions of some of the leagues weaker teams that are holdding the league down .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
People are absolutely fooling themselves if they think a new league would not have the same problems as the current ones.
This. The NHL has evolved over many years into what it is today. You may be against some things in the NHL, but overall I don't think a new league would be much different in the long run.

Many people are against the southern expansion. For everything wrong with it, at least it offers a higher exposure to hockey. In some markets, like Nashville, hockey actually stuck. It was a worthwhile experiment if you ask me.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:12 PM
sunnyvale420

The southern expansion is a fight with the fans of big market teams paying big prices to have the privilege of seeing the fruits of their labour go to paying the contracts of players who play against their home team. There is a reasonable point that those who pay more should see their money spent on their own team

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote