HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
what other NA sports league went belly up just to be reborn again...stronger.

Please, I'm interested.
All I said is teams have gone to new leagues and have been successful. I still do not understand how you think the NHL is indestructible.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:06 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It has nothing to do with profitable teams. Those profitable teams including the leafs can play within a newly created league. It has happened before. Why doyou and others act like the NHL can't be destroyed? It's happening right now.

The NHL is what it is based on teams like the Habs, Leafs, Flyers, Bruins, etc... if the league did fail, I have no doubt that a new league would be successful with these teams.
a league with these teams is the exact same as the nhl after massive contraction. What is the difference ? if you want to get rid of some teams there are already mechanisms in place to do this. I dont see why it is necessary to propose a new league.

The NHL can certainly be destroyed, but unless you want to reduce the league to the original six with a few add ons the infrastructure is just not there. simply changing the letter head of the league does not address the systemic problems. And the nhl is not being destroyed, because there is no hockey right now it is easy to be all doom and gloom, but when the puck drops the fans will come back, at least in the markets you are concerned with.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:07 PM
sandysan

Quote:
All I said is teams have gone to new leagues and have been successful. I still do not understand how you think the NHL is indestructible.
no one is saying it is indesctructable, but what is the benefit of killing the league when what you seemingly want is the league with fewer teams and there is already a mechanism for this ?

Old
12-21-2012, 01:14 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
New league with about 10 Canadian teams and about 10 US teams.

No fighting.

International size ice surface.
no fighting is a non starter. the players gm's and most importantly the fans have spoken and the overwhelming majority of them want fighting to remain ( for different reasons).

International ice I'm ambivalent about but the owners certainly don't want it ( or more specifically the cost to retrofit the arenas). I think more ice means more positional play and less hitting which is one of the unique aspects of the game that helps sell hockey.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:35 PM
pld459666

Quote:
It's not what you said, nor has it been what you are saying.

Mod...

this is your 1st post on the matter:

I mean, cease to exist.

I would love to see the league fold and see a new one start up. New commish, new rules, 20 teams, etc.

I would love to start from scratch.

I have asked, a few times, for ONE example of this in North America Sports History.

As for being industructable, the NHL is far from it, but it's not going to be rivaled in NA in your or my life time.

regardless of the current labour dispute, the NHL is going NOWHERE.

Now, while you may wish for someone to push some mythical re-set button, let me tell you that it's NOT going to happen because there is no re-set button.

Want to start from scratch? Start a Sim League and make up all the rules you think would make a great NHL and have fun with it.

In the real world, the NHL in it's current form are going no where.

Last edited by Killion: 12-21-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: easy there...
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
what other na sports league went belly up just to be reborn again...stronger.

Please, i'm interested.
MLS. Back in the 70's there was something called the NASL. Looked like it was going to catch on for awhile but then it died. Now we seem to be past the point of imminent death with MLS,

That said, it's not exactly a "big 4" league.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Confucius

Quote:
What elite league? The NHL is watered down crap now. It also cancels a season once every 7-8 years.
It won't be watered down once that new million dollar payroll team rises from the ashes.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
I have asked, a few times, for ONE example of this in North America Sports History.
You quite literally have to go back before WWII.....in other words to a world that bears little resemblance to the world we live in today. Back when most sports teams were barnstormers playing in leagues that were loose confederations at best. The NHL was born from such a remaking.....in 1917: In the middle of WWI for God's sake.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
The NHL was born from such a remaking.....in 1917: In the middle of WWI for God's sake.
It was born in a Shotgun Hurricane. The ******* child of Eddie Livingstone, who the new founders persecuted & blackballed from almost every level of hockey, exhausting his resources, ruining his health, winding up in the grave prematurely.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
It was born in a Shotgun Hurricane. The ******* child of Eddie Livingstone, who the new founders persecuted & blackballed from almost every level of hockey, exhausting his resources, ruining his health, winding up in the grave prematurely.
Yep! Exactly. Not sure why Livingstone had the haters but whatcha gonna do?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Stickmata

No, I'd like to see the players accept what is a very fair deal that's on the table now, continue to make millions playing a game, keep traveling in private jets, staying in 5 star hotels, playing against the best talent in the world in front of passionate fans in mostly state-of-the-art arenas around the U.S. and Canada, and retiring with pension benefits and employment opportunities as coaches, scouts, player development coaches, etc. That is my hope. We have 15 days.

If that does not happen, I wish them well making hundreds of thousands playing in older arenas scattered around Russia, the Czech Republic, Finland, Austria and Sweden, wearing uniforms that look like subway billboards, traveling by bus, staying in Best Western hotels, eating team meals at truckstops, playing against AHL level talent, with no retirement benefits and only insurance that they pay for themselves out of their huge salaries.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Laus Deo

If the NHL disappeared the replacement would have no history. No traditions etc. I vote no to completely disolving the NHL.

The NHLPA however I have no problem dissolving if the current system is ineffective.

Laus Deo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
This would suck immensely. The Stanley Cup. The original 6. Records. Rules. Everything would be different. I would probably stop following professional hockey all together. Not only that, but I have a pretty thick hockey collection (NHL). I can't imagine it going the way of the WHA. I would cry.
I would argue that all those traditional and historical things have already been tarnished or diminished during the Bettman era.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
No, I'd like to see the players accept what is a very fair deal that's on the table now, continue to make millions playing a game, keep traveling in private jets, staying in 5 star hotels, playing against the best talent in the world in front of passionate fans in mostly state-of-the-art arenas around the U.S. and Canada, and retiring with pension benefits and employment opportunities as coaches, scouts, player development coaches, etc. That is my hope. We have 15 days.

If that does not happen, I wish them well making hundreds of thousands playing in older arenas scattered around Russia, the Czech Republic, Finland, Austria and Sweden, wearing uniforms that look like subway billboards, traveling by bus, staying in Best Western hotels, eating team meals at truckstops, playing against AHL level talent, with no retirement benefits and only insurance that they pay for themselves out of their huge salaries.
Is this the latest proposal from the league? Nah, just kiddin. That is just the unspoken goal.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
no fighting is a non starter. the players gm's and most importantly the fans have spoken and the overwhelming majority of them want fighting to remain ( for different reasons).

International ice I'm ambivalent about but the owners certainly don't want it ( or more specifically the cost to retrofit the arenas). I think more ice means more positional play and less hitting which is one of the unique aspects of the game that helps sell hockey.
Hockey is selling???

Old
12-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Is this the latest proposal from the league? Nah, just kiddin. That is just the unspoken goal.
The players have no idea how good they have it. As much as we like to think of hockey players as different from other professional athletes, the spoiled brat syndrome that is so prevalent in this generation appears to be alive and well in hockey now as well. Love that picture of Evander Kane on the roof in Vegas with stacks of cash. Stay classy dude!

Old
12-21-2012, 06:39 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus Deo View Post
If the NHL disappeared the replacement would have no history. No traditions etc. I vote no to completely disolving the NHL.

The NHLPA however I have no problem dissolving if the current system is ineffective.
Actualllyy, hmmm, no ole boys club running the League, all teams that form the new League having equal power. You know, that might not be too bad. Assuming we wouldn't have to start off again with only 6 or 12 teams... Yuck!

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Actualllyy, hmmm, no ole boys club running the League, all teams that form the new League having equal power. You know, that might not be too bad. Assuming we wouldn't have to start off again with only 6 or 12 teams... Yuck!
There is no way a totally 'new' league would be viable for years and years and years, and that assumes you could find a bunch of rich idiots to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into it, which has a probability less than zero given the history of the NHL. Don't forget, if the league disbanded, all the teams would still own their names, logos, designs, arena contracts, etc. Anyone who thought they could get a new league off the ground would be in for a seriously rude lesson in what the costs associated with that would be.

The idea that there is any future of just setting aside the teams/owners that exist and replacing them with a new one is a fantasy.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:48 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
There is no way a totally 'new' league would be viable for years and years and years, and that assumes you could find a bunch of rich idiots to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into it, which has a probability less than zero given the history of the NHL. Don't forget, if the league disbanded, all the teams would still own their names, logos, designs, arena contracts, etc. Anyone who thought they could get a new league off the ground would be in for a seriously rude lesson in what the costs associated with that would be.

The idea that there is any future of just setting aside the teams/owners that exist and replacing them with a new one is a fantasy.
Well then, to hell with this idea. Which is why I voted NO, when the thread started.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Melrose Munch

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 12-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:06 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Hockey is selling???
3,2 billion last year.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:09 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
What does that have to do with this? Him holding money means nothing. And what do you mean hockey players are different?
different in that they arent resentfull about other people's success while they punch the clock for a job they hate day ater day as the jeaousy wells and wells ?

Old
12-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Rob

It would be great if the top 10-12 teams broke away and formed a new league. The old NHL would be bankrupt in no time.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
3,2 billion last year.
Then why is there a lockout? Oh, because only a handful of teams are really successful. Most teams are not making money.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It would be great if the top 10-12 teams broke away and formed a new league. The old NHL would be bankrupt in no time.
As would the new one if it did so under the NHLPA's proposed deal. 10-12 teams would mean no big TV contract and no big sponsorship dollars. The NHL would go back to being a small time, niche sports league. Basically what it was 20 years ago. The number of available jobs for professional hockey players would decline by 65 percent and salaries of those that had jobs would fall.

Participation in hockey around the U.S. would decline without teams in each region, which would impact all the equipment manufacturers, which would impact their sponsorship money, which would reduce the endorsement money available to players.

A smaller league would be a really bad thing for the NHLPA.