HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-30-2012, 06:36 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
As a habs fan I strongly oppose. Habs are not only a huge part of the NHL's history, but also Quebec's history & same can be said for the Leafs in Ontario and probably Oilers in Alberta

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Islanderfan17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Do I want to say goodbye to every franchise's name, jersey, logo, history etc, especially that of the Rangers, who I grew up following and being entertained by, because two months of hockey have been cancelled? No. No I don't.
I never thought I'd agree with a Ranger fan on anything, but I completely agree with this. People are really overreacting, I get that we have a reason to be angry with the league but Hockey really isn't the most important thing in the world, its an outlet of entertainment for us regular folk. Yes it's annoying the season may be lost again, but who would want the biggest and best league in the world to fold? That's just silly IMO.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

I cant think of a better conclusion to this lockout than the dissolving of the NHL. It is a horrible organization that perverts the game of hockey and takes the games most ardent fans completely for granted.

The league can't even go a decade without losing at least a half a season. It is a joke of an organization and the sooner it gets out of the way of the game the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
As a habs fan I strongly oppose. Habs are not only a huge part of the NHL's history, but also Quebec's history & same can be said for the Leafs in Ontario and probably Oilers in Alberta
So what? How is a bankrupt NHL supposed to retain the rights to any of that stuff?

If the NHL is dissolved, the individual ownership groups will just take their brand names and start their own league.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
Only if it resulted in the players making 1/10th of what they are making now

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
Well, considering the amount of teams that would not survive, in terms of total percentage of revenue, they probably would make 1/10th.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
Thus guaranteeing skilled players move to other competing sports or to non-North America-based leagues and diluting the talent pool of this hypothetical new league?

You may as well watch Minors or Juniors then.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:25 PM
ThisYearsModel

The NHL needs a major league competitor.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:26 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post

You've got a good point, there.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
The NHL needs a major league competitor.
Not convinced of this at all.
MLB, NFL, NBA do not.
The only "leagues" with any real competition are the sub-leagues to the UEFA.
Not really sure I would call that competition either.

Truthfully, the NHL likely has the biggest rival of all of the teams with the KHL. You could make an argument with MLB vs. the NPB...but I would have difficulty believing it.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Thus guaranteeing skilled players move to other competing sports or to non-North America-based leagues and diluting the talent pool of this hypothetical new league?

If the minors and juniors had all their games broadcast, I absolutely would do that.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
If the minors and juniors had all their games broadcast, I absolutely would do that.
Well then, you have a fallback should the NHL truly dissolve.

In all honesty this could be something which is not too far in the future as more and more teams and leagues become more social networking/internet savvy.
You could possibly see the CHL cutting a deal with someone to be an internet broadcaster of their games. AHL as well if they can get enough ownership together that does not kowtow to the NHL.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:49 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I never thought I'd agree with a Ranger fan on anything, but I completely agree with this. People are really overreacting, I get that we have a reason to be angry with the league but Hockey really isn't the most important thing in the world, its an outlet of entertainment for us regular folk. Yes it's annoying the season may be lost again, but who would want the biggest and best league in the world to fold? That's just silly IMO.
It has been longer than 2 months though... It has been many, many months and we'll see more lockouts in the future. The league is broken. This CBA will not fix it.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Well then, you have a fallback should the NHL truly dissolve.

In all honesty this could be something which is not too far in the future as more and more teams and leagues become more social networking/internet savvy.
You could possibly see the CHL cutting a deal with someone to be an internet broadcaster of their games. AHL as well if they can get enough ownership together that does not kowtow to the NHL.
Before the WCHL folded, we had one of those teams in town... and honestly, there's not a huge difference in the entertainment value between professional leagues. Other leagues may not have the same top end players, but they are still using players from an equal talent pool. Hockey is hockey, and when two teams are similarly matched you get a good show. It's not a problem until you have a NHL quality team playing against college quality team.

The NHL is all about names... while the game is just as good at other levels.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:27 PM
edog37

a lot of people on here don't understand the concept of branding. Like or not, teams are tied as much to the league they play in as well as to the cities they play in. This is why the NHL can go to a network & get X amount of dollars vs a non-entity like the AHL or the USHL. This is a foolish idea to get rid of a league that has decades of operations behind it all for 2 months of non-play....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
a lot of people on here don't understand the concept of branding. Like or not, teams are tied as much to the league they play in as well as to the cities they play in. This is why the NHL can go to a network & get X amount of dollars vs a non-entity like the AHL or the USHL. This is a foolish idea to get rid of a league that has decades of operations behind it all for 2 months of non-play....
Oh really? How many gives have been missed over the last 15 years? Every time there's a lockout the league sets themselves back several years. Any momentum that was built up is completely destroyed. Is that the kind of league you want? A broken league that has too many teams but can't contract them?

Old
11-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

As angry as every fan is about the joke we're currently enduring, seeing the NHL collapse would be terrible.

However, I would be more than happy seeing each and every one of the pigs involved in dragging the league through the mud fail in their future endeavours.

Marns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:36 PM
htpwn

Nobody should want a complete collapse, where the league and its teams go under, however I wouldn't mind some kind of major shuffle.

If the NHL were to fold and existing teams were to come together to form a new league with entirely new structure, maybe one based on European soccer, I'd be all for it.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Ogopogo*

Only people who hate hockey would like to see that.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:46 PM
JaymzB

My team is older than the NHL, and will always be playing in the top league in North America, so dissolving the NHL really doesn't matter to me.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:15 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Oh really? How many gives have been missed over the last 15 years? Every time there's a lockout the league sets themselves back several years. Any momentum that was built up is completely destroyed. Is that the kind of league you want? A broken league that has too many teams but can't contract them?
what you are proposing is no better than the Arena Football League. Is that what you want?

Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
My team is older than the NHL, and will always be playing in the top league in North America, so dissolving the NHL really doesn't matter to me.
if the NHL dissolves, then so are your Leafs....

Old
12-01-2012, 12:27 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
How so?

Old
12-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
from a selfish, immediate POV, i would hate to see the NHL dissolved because, after 5 years in the basement, my Oil look like they may return to past glory soon.

but from a 'big picture' long term POV, i would absolutely like to see the NHL dissolved. it has turn itself into a joke and i don't think it will ever recover from that for at least a generation, if ever. Even if my Oil win a cup, it will be like a boxer winning one of the 4 or 5 federation titles. Boxing was the biggest sport in the world for about 100 years and has recently sunk. it can happen to hockey too.

it will never again be a serious league in my eyes.

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 05:02 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Fail.

If the NHL dissolves, the Montreal Canadiens will be playing in a new league (KHL NA, the North American Hockey League, the Canadian Major Hockey League, whatever) in a cocaine heartbeat. And the Leafs will probably be with them.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Fail.

If the NHL dissolves, the Montreal Canadiens will be playing in a new league (KHL NA, the North American Hockey League, the Canadian Major Hockey League, whatever) in a cocaine heartbeat. And the Leafs will probably be with them.
Absolutely and many of the money making U S teams as well. Flyers and the rest of the O six plus many if not all of the rest of the Canadian teams. There is money to be made for quite a few.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote