HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy "Frankenstorm" @ New Jersey - Hold on to your butts

Old
11-02-2012, 09:20 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Having witnessed these price gouging actions first hand, your post makes me angry beyond belief and if you truly believe this you should meet me down here this weekend and I'll give you a tour of area free of charge.

It's funny the people who aren't from the area are the most outspoken about it, defending insurance companies an price gouing and criticizing the home owners who lost everything. Guarantee you walk around the areas that got smacked the hardest and you won't have the same opinions.
I agree with you on the sandwich issue, he's taking his ECON101 class a wee bit too literally (to bizarre extremes actually). But on the insurance issue though, there is no "gouging" and no "loophole" here. If you didnt like the terms of the contract, then you either shouldnt have signed it or you should have picked difference insurance. There is NO "surprise" being sprung on people like you seem to wish to make it sound.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

WHERE THE **** IS THE MEDIA?!!?!?!?!

This is Staten Island tonight

Quote:
Bodies everywhere. Looting rampant. People are literally killing each other. War zone.
Things are NOT going to get better if the media doesn't inform America as to just how bad it is.

I talked to a friend tonight from Staten Island whose father is retired NYPD. They are safe (thank God, really great people), but are NOT leaving their house, and he's sleeping with a loaded handgun next to his bed (shotgun in the closet....also loaded).

Old
11-02-2012, 09:32 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Got a hold of my mom yesterday! She's safe but without power.

Volunteered today. Spent three hours boxing up and sorting donations.
AWESOME!!!

The "without power" thing sucks but THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT SHE'S OKAY!!! I'm so happy for you, man!

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:56 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

NYC Bar Washed Out By Hurricane Found Fully Stocked 7 Miles Away

Now THIS is how you make the best of a terrible situation.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/nyc-b...-7-miles-away/

Old
11-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

This actually made me smile. Ya know, not counting the part where the bar crushed everything in its path.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Shocked that Staten Island isn't getting the attention it deserves. Unacceptable.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Again... Humanity fails. Again. Instead of helping one another they want to loot and kill

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:32 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Need to see it to believe it.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:58 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Need to see it to believe it.
I really think this is true. I totally feel for you guys, and my local news as well as the national news is covering it here in Phoenix. But I honestly think I would be totally shocked to be in it. I wish there was some way I could help, but as a poor college kid I can't spare my time nor my money. It's a terrible feeling.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:17 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Talk about gouging....

Quote:
Craigslist users started offering gasoline for as much as $15 a gallon to motorists and homeowners not wishing to brave the lines.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:42 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Shocked that Staten Island isn't getting the attention it deserves. Unacceptable.
Staten Island never gets any respect. It will always be the "forgotten borough."

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
WHERE THE **** IS THE MEDIA?!!?!?!?!

This is Staten Island tonight

Things are NOT going to get better if the media doesn't inform America as to just how bad it is.

I talked to a friend tonight from Staten Island whose father is retired NYPD. They are safe (thank God, really great people), but are NOT leaving their house, and he's sleeping with a loaded handgun next to his bed (shotgun in the closet....also loaded).
Yeesh, that's a nightmare. And Bloomberg wanted to divert cops away from that to have the marathon? Complete lack of sense.

Quote:

This reminds me of a Simpsons moment, when the hurricane picks up the bowling alley and deposits it on top of a mountain:

Kent Brockman: Meantime, Springfield bowlers will be happy to hear that the Bowl-A-Rama is back in business at its new location teetering over the Carter-Nixon tunnel.

Except this example is a little more looting rather than "business gets unexpectedly relocated".

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:55 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

My parents have power but the town next door (which is closer to the substation powering my parents) does not. Silly JCPL

Old
11-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

My grandma in Maywood has power finally. Ho Ho Kus and Franklin Lakes let's go.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:12 AM
njdevil26

So PSE&G was kind enough to note my account that my power outage would be restored by 3pm YESTERDAY. Then they were mean enough to not come through on that. It was COLD last night. My GF has lupus and her joints can't take this crap. Anyway... after being depressed all night we left for the office this morning and there was a PSEG minivan at the power station next to our apartment and two PSEG trucks on their way into our neighborhood. Hopefully that's a good sign.

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Glad to see you guys are getting power back somewhat. My friend just got hers/cell service back. Hoping everyone's well

Old
11-03-2012, 09:57 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Well hopefully I am in the 75% of my town that gets power by 12 midnight tomorrow. However, for right now I am staying at my cousin house with power/cable/heat.

BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Dad sent me pictures of home in NJ. trees in the pool/flattened the fence/retaining wall.s

Old
11-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Zajacs Faceoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Staten Island never gets any respect. It will always be the "forgotten borough."
Yet it could eventually not even be a borough all together and become its own city. Almost happened before.

Zajacs Faceoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:25 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Faceoff View Post
Yet it could eventually not even be a borough all together and become its own city. Almost happened before.
Then it will become a forgotten city.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:36 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

Except this example is a little more looting rather than "business gets unexpectedly relocated".
I thought about this after reading the story, because I would never loot. But I think even I would partake in this. Realistically in this very unusual case, if you dont, someone else is a nanosecond later. Plus, I doubt they'd be allowed to serve the stuff even if they were the ones to recover it (doubtful) and reopenend months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
So PSE&G was kind enough to note my account that my power outage would be restored by 3pm YESTERDAY. .
I feel for PSE&G (not just for poor sports marketing promotions) and JCP&L, because this is unprecedented hardship, but I've been monitoring their outage map since the night of the storm, and I have to say their progress is incredibly slow.

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

http://www.pseg.com/home/customer_se.../outagemap.jsp

Old
11-03-2012, 11:38 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Then it will become a forgotten city.
I might argue the exact opposite. It's tough to be much more of an afterthought than Staten Island currently is. A free ferry is the only perk I see for them. Decent money there too, hard to believe they couldnt govern themselves more efficiently than NYC (which is dang near bankrupt)

Old
11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I thought about this after reading the story, because I would never loot. But I think even I would partake in this. Realistically in this very unusual case, if you dont, someone else is a nanosecond later. Plus, I doubt they'd be allowed to serve the stuff even if they were the ones to recover it (doubtful) and reopenend months later.

I feel for PSE&G (not just for poor sports marketing promotions) and JCP&L, because this is unprecedented hardship, but I've been monitoring their outage map since the night of the storm, and I have to say their progress is incredibly slow.

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

http://www.pseg.com/home/customer_se.../outagemap.jsp
Well, putting my insurance hat on again, the bar's owners have probably already claimed it as a total loss anyway (the only sensible thing to do when your business is plucked from its foundations and washed away down the street), and that probably includes the inventory, so in theory it's not the bar owners taking a bath on this. So really they have little incentive to protest this, and surely the insurance company has bigger concerns than asking what happened to the top shelf vodka. I say go nuts, let everyone have a good time.

CL&P got slammed for its slow response to restoring power after the freak ice and snow storm knocked it out for a week and a half last October. Sounds like the NJ power suppliers are going to face the same criticism.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:23 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Still no power here by me, in PA. And still no word from my grandma up in Rockaway. I'm sure she's ok, but the severity of the storm mixed with her old age is very unsettling.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:30 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
I really think this is true. I totally feel for you guys, and my local news as well as the national news is covering it here in Phoenix. But I honestly think I would be totally shocked to be in it. I wish there was some way I could help, but as a poor college kid I can't spare my time nor my money. It's a terrible feeling.
It's not. 90% of Staten Island has power, it has not transformed into 1990s Yugoslavia.

There are some people in a region of SI, where they should have evacuated, and they didn't, apparently unaware they live next to the ocean.... and now they are very loud.
It is also not the "poor" section of SI, that is up by the ferry terminal.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote