HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy "Frankenstorm" @ New Jersey - Hold on to your butts

Old
11-04-2012, 02:33 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

vCash: 500
I still have no power...this is ridiculous. It's getting ****ing cold.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

My house in NJ still has no power. Family going to be here for awhile...

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Kensu

yeah I don't have power where I'm at either.

Kensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

I'm going with members of my church on a bus from Florida to New Jersey to help out. I may have moved a year ago, but NJ is still my home and I'm coming to lend a helping hand!

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:05 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
I'm going with members of my church on a bus from Florida to New Jersey to help out. I may have moved a year ago, but NJ is still my home and I'm coming to lend a helping hand!
Bring some electricity with you.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:37 PM
hlaverty06

I have spent more time in a fire truck than my own home this past week

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
So what are the temps falling to at night?

I imagine that is the major concern right now with so many people without power

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

I have power, but it has been around the 30s

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:12 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:

It'll be 31 tonight...

Old
11-04-2012, 05:48 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ Damn!

Had a flat tire changed today at my job. The guy who changed it still has no power in his home(or anywhere else). I asked him just what the hell is the Power-Company there doing? His answer : "Playing with themselves apparently"

Couldn't help but agree......

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:58 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 237
I'd hope not, the total damage is probably more than we could possibly imagine. I'm not going to lie though, I'm a little frustrated that the downed power lines right outside our complex haven't been fixed yet, especially since the trees were cleared out a couple days ago.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:05 PM
apice3*

I got power back a couple nights ago, but when mine was still out, the temperature late at night wasn't what bothered me. I just fell asleep with a bunch of blankets.

The cold from 5pm to 8pm or so is the worst. It's too early to sleep, too late to drive anywhere. You just gotta sit in the cold and do nothing. I just played Pokemon Red all day.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:05 PM
VaxjoDevil

A lot of babies will be born in 9 months in New Jersey.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Got power back this afternoon, so ****ing good to be home, even if it's a trainwreck here. Unreal how messy a house gets during a storm and just 2 days of no power.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Amen

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:29 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
NSP, glad to hear about your mom.......I'm back on the power grid after 5 days
Thanks! And glad to hear it!

Is any NYC resident here shocked that Manhattan got priority? That's how it always is. It sucks, but now it's even more obvious. This is Bloomberg we're talking about. The guy who seriously thought that, while this is all happening, it was a good idea to run a ****ing marathon. When there's still HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of New Yorkers still struggling and starving. That's the kind of **** that a dictator in Rwanda or something would do. There was an audible cheer across the five boros when they canceled that.

Also, would love to volunteer my services to any HFer/their family within the city who might need some help this week. I work all week but would be happy to come by after. I'm not great at a lot of things but I got a pair of arms that work.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Jersey pride.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I never understand the anger about electricity

The entire region was devastated ,, The fact that power is still out is not surprising given the wide area of destruction

Too many people today expect everything to be fixed right away from my experiences. This was a once in lifetime storm people should have stored up a week worth of supplies of food/water/batteries/etc

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I'd also help if I had more than a weekends worth tgere

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Scott04

Holy crap has this been a crazy week.

I just got my power back an hour or two ago. Cell service was so bad for me I could never log on here just to even post once. Best bet I had for any service of note would be between midnight and 6 AM, so I used what I could for twitter/facebook until I was too exhausted and passed out.

The weird thing is, I was so disconnected for the last week, I feel like I barely even "saw" this storm. I'm just now seeing pictures of damage for the first time. All I've seen up until this point is a couple of pictures that I was able to load on twitter, adn what I have seen in my general region (town/county/etc) by driving around. Used the last 15+ pages of this thread as my cliff notes to an extent.

Lost power at like 8:30 Monday night. We have a generator that we hooked up Tuesday morning. Could barely sleep for a while Monday night with the sound of the winds (and the associated concerns over what it would damage). Couldn't even recognize my neighborhood Tuesday morning. Everywhere I went, in my town or otherwise, you couldn't go more than a couple houses before seeing some trees ripped up, downed lines and polls, or other damage. Roads/intersections completely cut off and blocked by downed trees. Didn't end up taking pictures (although I should have) but some of the tree related damage was crazy. We lost a lot of trees in this town to the storm last year, but that couldn't compare to this. Lucky that the one big tree we had fall went away from the house.

Generator gave us a light or two, a fridge, and kept our basement from flooding. Thursday morning we were able to get an electrician to come out and hook up our heat to it, so we were actually going through this without TOO much difficulty (as compared to those in our area. Obviously those in other areas had it far far worse than my area). I spent more time on gas lines than I can keep up with, as we had one 5-gallon gas can, and a generator that probably used about 8 gallons every 24 hours. Early in the week it was 1-2 hour lines in the car, or 1 hour on foot in a gas can line. By mid week I would go at 4 AM and it would still take over 2 hours. We were fortunate enough that some family in NY state were able to find gas cans and we got a few more, relieving the constant anxiety of filling the generator and attempting to fill our one can every 10-12 hours. My parents were on a line for over 3 hours when they got those, and yesterday were lucky enough to catch a line in Jefferson that was under 20 minutes.

Our generator died early this afternoon. Just out of nowhere it crapped out on us. Plenty of fuel in it, but it just stopped working and won't start back up. About 30 minutes later, we see a utility truck on our street for the first time all week (after some notable trees/lines down). They told us we would have power back in an hour or two. 5 or so hours later we finally had power back. Just been an exhausting week mentally. Can't imagine what it was like for those who dealt with far more hardship than we had up North/away from the coast.

Now to really try to catch up with the impact this storm had on my state and to start doing my part to help with the clean up.

Scott04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Thanks! And glad to hear it!

Is any NYC resident here shocked that Manhattan got priority? That's how it always is. It sucks, but now it's even more obvious. This is Bloomberg we're talking about. The guy who seriously thought that, while this is all happening, it was a good idea to run a ****ing marathon. When there's still HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of New Yorkers still struggling and starving. That's the kind of **** that a dictator in Rwanda or something would do. There was an audible cheer across the five boros when they canceled that.

Also, would love to volunteer my services to any HFer/their family within the city who might need some help this week. I work all week but would be happy to come by after. I'm not great at a lot of things but I got a pair of arms that work.
and you know what, those generators, one of which was capable of powering at least a dozen houses, sat in the places they would have been had the marathon been held and were not put to use

Really awesome gesture by the would be marathon runners by hopping on bikes and riding around helping people around the city and what not today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I'd also help if I had more than a weekends worth tgere
If gas wasn't an issue I'd be down there right now, my family has bags of clothes and other things packed in our garage ready to get to people down the shore once things with the gas situation gets somewhat back to normal

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:06 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I never understand the anger about electricity

The entire region was devastated ,, The fact that power is still out is not surprising given the wide area of destruction

Too many people today expect everything to be fixed right away from my experiences. This was a once in lifetime storm people should have stored up a week worth of supplies of food/water/batteries/etc
You have no power so you can't bake, microwave, or cook anything on the stove. You can't store cold cuts beause the fridges aren't on. It gets dark by 5pm and it's friggen cold so you don't want to be outside using the grill at night. Plus whatever you wanted to grill in the first place probably went bad because there's no fridge or freezer. The gas lines are ridiculous and most eateries are closed so you can't really go out anywhere. It's really tough trying to eat full meals and it's something everyone, myself included, took for granted. That's pretty much the biggest reason for people complaining, at least initially. I'm a pretty active person and eat a ton of food even though I only weigh 160 so I was starving the first few days.

Also, taking a crap in the dark is one of the strangest and most indescribable feelings. It was pretty amusing, I'd walk around my house with a flashlight fully aware there was no power so I wouldn't even consider touching a light switch. The second I entered the bathroom, hit the switch EVERY SINGLE TIME. And half the time I'd walk out and flick the switch again.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Also, taking a crap in the dark is one of the strangest and most indescribable feelings. It was pretty amusing, I'd walk around my house with a flashlight fully aware there was no power so I wouldn't even consider touching a light switch. The second I entered the bathroom, hit the switch EVERY SINGLE TIME. And half the time I'd walk out and flick the switch again.
THIS. If I made it a drinking game rule that I had to drink every time I hit a switch, I would have gotten plastered almost every day. But the bathroom was always the biggest one. Took one with lights on for just the 2nd time all week today. It was surprisingly refreshing.

Scott04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:16 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

The water in my building comes through an electric pump.
No electricity = no running water.

My boss had me holed away in a hotel somewhere to get work done... so I had that fortune.
Problem now is that I can't even get back to my apartment to check on it because 90% of the roads were closed. Hopefully I can get over there tomorrow.

Looking to help out around the state as soon as I can get access back to my own resources and I actually have $$ once my company can start processing paychecks and reimbursements.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Last year I was pooing during Irene. It went pitch black. I didn't know what to do.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote