HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will a future Flyer wear #88?

View Poll Results: Will the #88 ever be chosen by another Flyer?
Yes 9 15.25%
No 50 84.75%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-22-2012, 09:54 AM
zamboni88

vCash: 500
Will a future Flyer wear #88?

Seems unlikely that a player would choose to wear #88 in the future so it may be unofficially retired.

zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Krishna

Short answer : No

Long answer : Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Lindros wore 88 out of respect and a tribute to the McCauley family (John and Wes). It would take extraordinary circumstances for a player to request such a number. Unless a player has accrued such a desire (a superstar who has worn 88 elsewhere, for example), it is highly unlikely it would be honored.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Flyerfan4life

dont think i can see it ever happening.

so my money's on no

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

If only the dice rolled in our favor in 2007...

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
He would have been more reviled than Carter.

10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
He would have been more reviled than Carter.
I highly doubt that

Old
10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I highly doubt that
Guy is twice the party animal and doesn't play defense. So, take Briere's biggest criticism and combine it with Carter's. Not a good recipe.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:26 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Guy is twice the party animal and doesn't play defense. So, take Briere's biggest criticism and combine it with Carter's. Not a good recipe.
Not to get too off topic but...

Carter caught slack because he didn't put enough effort on the ice, combined with the fact that he was a "party animal".

Say what you will about Kane, but he's scored about the same amount of pts. as Carter in about 150 less regular season games, and is PPG in the playoffs, whereas Carter is ~.5 PPG.

When the heat was on, Carter was shooting pucks in the goalie's chest with wide open nets, and Kane was scoring SC winning goals.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:31 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
...we probably still would have taken Mr. Play Good Every 5 Games

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Not to get too off topic but...

Carter caught slack because he didn't put enough effort on the ice, combined with the fact that he was a "party animal".

Say what you will about Kane, but he's scored about the same amount of pts. as Carter in about 150 less regular season games, and is PPG in the playoffs, whereas Carter is ~.5 PPG.

When the heat was on, Carter was shooting pucks in the goalie's chest with wide open nets, and Kane was scoring SC winning goals.
Right, that goal doesn't go in on any of the other 29 starting goalies in the NHL. That has to be the weakest Cup winning OT goal in SC history.

Carter was so lazy he was racking up 35 goals a year while also being strong defensively, AND playing through serious injuries; apparently that's something lazy players do all the time, I guess. Just because he was an efficient skater and didn't look like he was grunting around the ice nonstop doesn't mean he was lazy.

Even Chicago fans are tired of Kane and his antics, despite his point totals and Game 6 goal. The Philly media and fanbase would have descended on him like vultures. Briere is a playoff monster for point production, that doesn't stop us from lambasting him.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Right, that goal doesn't go in on any of the other 29 starting goalies in the NHL. That has to be the weakest Cup winning OT goal in SC history.

Carter was so lazy he was racking up 35 goals a year while also being strong defensively, AND playing through serious injuries; apparently that's something lazy players do all the time, I guess.

Even Chicago fans are tired of Kane and his antics, despite his point totals and Game 6 goal. The Philly media and fanbase would have descended on him like vultures. Briere is a playoff monster for point production, that doesn't stop us from lambasting him.
Carter didn't have that extra gear you need to push your team to the next level (his success on LA is more of a coincidence). That's why he was traded, in spite of his 30 and 40 goal seasons.

And seriously, Briere? Who lambasts Briere, HF nerds? Carters the one who got chased out of town, not Briere.

Kane would be revered in Philly, because Philly respects players with gusto, not softy bleach haired beach bums like Carter.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Carter didn't have that extra gear you need to push your team to the next level (his success on LA is more of a coincidence). That's why he was traded, in spite of his 30 and 40 goal seasons.

And seriously, Briere? Who lambasts Briere, HF nerds? Carters the one who got chased out of town, not Briere.

Kane would be revered in Philly, because Philly respects players with gusto, not softy bleach haired beach bums like Carter.
Briere has gotten a LOT of crap over the years, and not just from Flyers fans on HF.

As for Carter, he wasn't missing a gear. He was just very unlucky with injuries for several years running. A lot of us said that we should wait to see what he can do in the playoffs healthy; well, he just had the healthiest playoffs we've seen from him during his peak and the results were pretty good. Being injured =/= being lazy.

As for the "gusto" thing, you know that Kane is more of a frat guy than Carter, right? Seriously, I have a LOT of trouble believing a Philly fanbase would accept Kane when they barely accepted/rejected Richards, for instance. Kane has more off-ice drama/antics than Richards and Carter combined. He wouldn't have made it here. He's just not a Philly athlete.

Edit: Basically, I don't think there was any way we could have won the 07 draft in the long run. If we get Kane, fanbase turns on him. We got JVR, and he just piddled around inconsistently.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 03:04 PM
CootaRoo

As one of Carter's detractors, I consider him both a better player and person than Kane.

That being said, all other obviously affected variables ignored, if we swap Kane for Carter (or JVR) in '10, we win that cup, despite the sieve in net.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
As one of Carter's detractors, I consider him both a better player and person than Kane.

That being said, all other obviously affected variables ignored, if we swap Kane for Carter (or JVR) in '10, we win that cup, despite the sieve in net.
And this isn't even mentioning that the potential return for Kane would have been exceedingly higher than what we just got for JVR.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Kane scored a Stanley Cup game winner. Carter couldnt hit the open net...

just sayin.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Kane scored a Stanley Cup game winner. Carter couldnt hit the open net...

just sayin.
Carter scored a Stanley Cup winner.

My point stands: Kane would have been tarred and feathered here. declining production for two years straight combined with very public drama and partying is a recipe for failure for a Philly athlete.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:59 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree, but I think you are underestimating the enigmatic nature of the Philly media. kane and Carter are two very different personalities, from what I can tell of course, so you can't say what would happen to one would happen to the other. Bottom line is Philly doesn't care about players partying, as long as the result is there on the ice. Carters gone because he put himself above that law.

Would that happen to Kane, who can day. But when I look at Kane, I see someone who has the results to back up his overzealousness. Sadly, carter has a cup now too but as I said thats more coincidental than anything.

And to answer the ops question: no.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I suppose we will have to agree to disagree, but I think you are underestimating the enigmatic nature of the Philly media. kane and Carter are two very different personalities, from what I can tell of course, so you can't say what would happen to one would happen to the other. Bottom line is Philly doesn't care about players partying, as long as the result is there on the ice. Carters gone because he put himself above that law.

Would that happen to Kane, who can day. But when I look at Kane, I see someone who has the results to back up his overzealousness. Sadly, carter has a cup now too but as I said thats more coincidental than anything.

And to answer the ops question: no.
You should look at Kane's stats. 88 points, 73 points, then 66 points with penalty minutes on the rise. The results are fading, the drama is still very much there. To accept Kane, his results, and his antics yet berate Carter screams of an illogical double standard.

I don't see how Carter is that much different from Kane.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Flyerfan808

To OP:

Someone will eventually have 88 here. I just don't think it should be anytime soon.

To Carter vs. Kane:

Carter is the better all around player, no doubt. Kane is more offensively gifted. Who knows what would have happened if we would gotten Kane. Maybe it would be JVR scoring in gm 6 overtime?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not likely. To begin with #88 is an unusual number. Then there is that whole Lindross thing. Depending on who you talk to he is either revered or reviled, both are reasons a player may not choose a number.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Tom Sestito will. When he returns from England.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I do wonder if any players have actually requested 88 or 31 and been denied.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:12 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Probably not.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:34 PM
PhilaFlyers

Carter never showed up in the playoffs for us, Kane has been pretty consistent for the Hawks.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote