HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

This Year's X-Factor

Old
01-07-2013, 04:02 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
This Year's X-Factor

Who or what is the X-Factor to the Wings' success this season?

Last edited by The Nose: 01-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.
The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

I'm gonna go a little off the board and go with Ericsson.

I think our offense is fine but I think our defense is lacking. Ericsson is going to get much more ice time this year, as he earned it at the end of last year, and I think he can calm some of the panic regarding our sub-par defense.

Last edited by The Nose: 01-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 04:08 PM
joe89

I think it's our rookies. I think we expect them to be solid players, but if they can be more than solid our chances increase a lot.

Other than that, goaltending will be important but that's the same for every team.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
I'm gonna go a little of the board and go with Ericsson.

I think our offense is fine but I think our defense is lacking. Ericsson is going to get much more ice time this year, as he earned it at the end of last year, and I think he can calm some of the panic regarding our sub-par defense.
Definitely liked what I saw from Big E down the stretch last season but IMO the X factor will be Brunner. If he can translate his game to the NHL without missing a step it will be huge for the Wings. But if he and Nyquist falter I think our top 6 takes a big hit.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I think it's our rookies. I think we expect them to be solid players, but if they can be more than solid our chances increase a lot.

Other than that, goaltending will be important but that's the same for every team.
I agree. I think one or both Nyquist and Tatar really impress this year.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Jimmy Howard.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
HockeytownOverhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post
Definitely liked what I saw from Big E down the stretch last season but IMO the X factor will be Brunner. If he can translate his game to the NHL without missing a step it will be huge for the Wings. But if he and Nyquist falter I think our top 6 takes a big hit.
I agree mostly. I think Brunner is a big variable but I feel like we're so deep that even if he busts, we have guys who can step in that role and still provide offense. But if Big E shows the play he did down the stretch last year, continues his success on the PK and keeps playing with confidence it can really ease the pressure on D. If our D starts out making a lot of mistakes, I feel like our forwards are gonna drop in production trying to cover for them playing TOO safe. E is a big part of our D's success this year

HockeytownOverhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

I'll go with Brendan Smith- we're going to need someone to step up and replace at least some of Lidstrom's scoring from the blueline, and he's the best candidate in my book. I know he'll have his peaks and valleys, but as long as Babcock sticks with him (seems to be one of his guys so that may not be an issue) he should get the ES and PP ice time to put up some #'s.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
No X-Rays for Howard, Zetts, Dats or Kronwall could be the X-factor.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quincey.

And I'm actually somewhat serious.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Smith for sure. If he has a great year, the Wings could do some damage. All the rookies, really. Like the NY Rangers last year, if the Wings rookies step up they'll be a contender.

If the rookies under-perform, it will be a long season, despite the game total.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
jroc86

1) Health of the core
2) Rookie effectiveness: we have Nyquist, Brunner, and Smith all "slated" to be given chances as players on the top 2 units. If 2/3 of them play like we hope they can were set.
3) Will Ericsson finally shed his "young-pup" syndrome with Stuart and Lids gone and consistently play like his size, skillset, and nationality would indicate?

These factors will be the difference between being a fringe playoff team and a suprise contender.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Kindl could be big, with Colaiacovo down, he gets a big chance here to start the season. I like what I saw from him in EHT competition. He was killing penalties and looked stronger. It is put up or shut up time for Kindl and if both he and Smith have good seasons all this running around scared about the defense will be unfounded. I expect Big E and Kronwall to be good, they have to be. Kronwall is going to bank more points, Ericsson really had a strong second half. For me it is the two younger guys that will define that D-unit. They have the talent, size and skating to really surprise people.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Smith, Brunner, and Nyquist are x-factors in the fact they are still very much unproven. But a lot of the success on the team will rely on Kronwall, D/Z, and Howard to play at a very high level. Especially Kronwall and Howard. Kronwall might have to lead the league in minutes for this defense to be OK. Very hard to play mistake-free hockey playing huge minutes. We'll see how he does.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

Brunner or Smith is my guess. I predict one of the them will be a Calder candidate.

I think Quincey and Cleary will have solid rebound years though and make most of the fans forget about their slumps last season.

Hckytwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:52 AM
nik jr

i would say health (especially of datsyuk and zetterberg), and special teams.

none of the remaining d-men are great defensively, or on PP/PK.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:43 AM
silkyjohnson50

Health and the blue line are the two areas that could make or break this season.

Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, and/or Quincey all have a chance to take a big step. One or more of them have to do it to be contenders IMO.

I'm also gonna throw in Babcock's forward lines. If Datsyuk gets stuck with Samuelsson and/or Bertuzzi, I may end up wishing that the lockout never ended.

silkyjohnson50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Who or what is the X-Factor to the Wings' success this season?
I think it has to be Jimmy Howard. He has the potential to be an MVP level player. He was also our last serious Calder trophy finalist. Nick Lidstrom stepped up his game when Vlad went down and now would be a good time for Jimmah to step up his game with Lids' retirement. No one else on our team can be expected to take their game to another level. Pavs is Pavs, Z has seen his production drop over the years, and none of our rookies look to be phenoms.

Jimmy Howard FTW!

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Rzombo4 prez

I think the X-Factor is Babcock. If he can get the team to show up on time (which was a major issue last year) and committ to playing much better team defense, we should be okay.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I think it has to be Jimmy Howard. He has the potential to be an MVP level player. He was also our last serious Calder trophy finalist. Nick Lidstrom stepped up his game when Vlad went down and now would be a good time for Jimmah to step up his game with Lids' retirement. No one else on our team can be expected to take their game to another level. Pavs is Pavs, Z has seen his production drop over the years, and none of our rookies look to be phenoms.

Jimmy Howard FTW!
Pretty much.

This is Jimmy's chances to say "I'm da man". He needs to grab this chance by the balls.

We'll see what he's made off this short season.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Shoalzie

Gotta say Brunner...for his chemistry with Hank to carryover to the NHL would help this team a lot considering this team didn't add anything flashy offensively. I still think they need to find a reliable playmate for Datsyuk...hopefully Nyquist can fill that roll.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:50 PM
lazerbullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
I think the X-Factor is Babcock. If he can get the team to show up on time (which was a major issue last year) and committ to playing much better team defense, we should be okay.
In a way I agree with this. Overall team defense has been bad for years, despite having some fine personnel lead by Lidstrom himself. Now it's different. I'm pretty sure that a coach like Tippett would do just fine with current dmen. Hopefully Babcock can do the same. He did well with pretty mediocre Ducks. So it's not like he can't coach a team with less talent.

Other factor is obviously our rookies. They better learn to swim.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Robbler

vCash: 50
Zetterberg not being lazy.

Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:26 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterBromont View Post
Zetterberg not being lazy.
When did everyone on the Wings become lazy?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Honestly, it's a 50/50 thing. Equal parts youth and health.

If we're healthy, we can be a scary team. If we're healthy, we've got the skill to hand out nightmares.

If our youth doesn't step up and show the skill many hope they will, it will take the afore mentioned skill level and flush it down the pot.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote