HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Suter Calls Out Leipold re: Contract Roll Backs

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
Suter Calls Out Leipold re: Contract Roll Backs

How convenient: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7617--nhl.html

**** off Suter. It's because players like you were all about going for the payday that helped cause this mess.

MOD: Article that's cited: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ntracts-afford

Old
10-27-2012, 11:13 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
How DARE a free agent cash in on his one-in-a-lifetime opportunity

Old
10-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

How is it **** off Suter...

Owners agreed to sign that contract too. Now theyre trying to get out of it. Not at all fair

Old
10-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
How DARE a free agent cash in on his one-in-a-lifetime opportunity
No one blames him for cashing in. We blame him for whining like a baby about lucrative contracts, given that he just signed one. He looks like an idiot.

Owners are of course at fault for offering him that, and he's a hypocrite for crying about it as if he doesn't like it

Old
10-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

It is not fair to the players because they signed the contracts which their owners agreed to and now their owners are now attempting to breach those contracts

However being upset over losing a few million dollars when you will already be making plenty of millions? Cry me a ****ing river

Old
10-27-2012, 11:17 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
How is it **** off Suter...

Owners agreed to sign that contract too. Now theyre trying to get out of it. Not at all fair
That's the problem. Both sides are to blame. I'm not too happy with the owners either but $uter can **** off like I said.

Looks like the 2 posts above me say it more clearly.

How about **** Craig Leipold as well? He went insane with the money or lack of apparently.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
It is not fair to the players because they signed the contracts which their owners agreed to and now their owners are now attempting to breach those contracts

However being upset over losing a few million dollars when you will already be making plenty of millions? Cry me a ****ing river
15% is more than few millions..

Old
10-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post

**** off Suter. It's because players like you were all about going for the payday that helped cause this mess.
Did you actually read the article?

Old
10-27-2012, 11:29 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Suter is surprised that Leipold might not have conducted business in good faith? What? Did he learn nothing in 2007?

I have no sympathy for any of them.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
15% is more than few millions..
Excuse me Mr. Larry, you go by the first name Literal if I recall?

Concept. A millionare being upset over losing money on a contract he signed that will pay him even more millions and if in the case that the contract eventually would not be honored, he would still be getting millions on a new contract - being upset over that?

Boo ****ing hoo

Old
10-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

hmm, that's odd, your link took me to the Onion.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:38 AM
iiuh

Lol at all the people going "**** off Suter", when has every right to be upset here. It doesn't matter if its for millions of dollars or just 1 dollar a contract is a contract. I don't see how anyone can be hating on Suter here just because he's still making money despite being screwed out of potentially millions of dollars.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 581
Quote:

I doubt you are saying **** off Suter if he had signed that deal to stay in Nashville.
He has every right to complain that a contract he signed may not be fulfilled by the Owners once a new CBA is put in place. Dollar amount isn't the problem here, honoring the contract is the issue.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Hynh

The NHL is legally obligated to spend 57% of revenues on salary. These big contracts do not affect that. All Suter's big contract did was suck money from other players.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:52 AM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Excuse me Mr. Larry, you go by the first name Literal if I recall?

Concept. A millionare being upset over losing money on a contract he signed that will pay him even more millions and if in the case that the contract eventually would not be honored, he would still be getting millions on a new contract - being upset over that?

Boo ****ing hoo
So where do you draw the line if you let the owners change the terms after they sign it? When does Suter get to complain?

You realize if they let the owners do it once they're more likely to do it again or do something worse.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:58 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiuh View Post
Lol at all the people going "**** off Suter", when has every right to be upset here. It doesn't matter if its for millions of dollars or just 1 dollar a contract is a contract. I don't see how anyone can be hating on Suter here just because he's still making money despite being screwed out of potentially millions of dollars.
Maybe he should have waited to sign until AFTER a new CBA was put in. Of course he may have missed the massive signing bonus.

Even the casual fan knew labour strife was coming, this is another case of an idiot hockey player talking about something other than hockey and failing. We get a good dose of that here too.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

vCash: 50
I don't know why Suter and Parise are whining. They knew this was coming and that is why they negotiated for a giant signing bonus. How can they complain about the owners not negotiating in good faith when you cash in $10M without possibly having to play a single game?

Old
10-27-2012, 12:12 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Nothing wrong with what Suter said

If owners can't afford signing contracts that large, they shouldn't have signed them.

Old
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

A tip to players not involved in the CBA talks...shut up and wait until it's okay to get back on the ice. We love hockey players mostly because they keep their mouths shut and just play the game.

Old
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
So where do you draw the line if you let the owners change the terms after they sign it? When does Suter get to complain?

You realize if they let the owners do it once they're more likely to do it again or do something worse.
I mentioned in a post earlier in this thread, it is not right that a contract can be changed after it has already been agreed upon and signed and I can't blame Suter for complaining, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that such a big deal is being made by Suter and other players about losing money when they already have plenty and that they knew what potentially was ahead for them after signing knowingly ridiculous contracts

That goes along perfectly though with the rest of the lockout and its silly issues of not being able to split billions of dollars from both sides

Old
10-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Stansfield*

None of us would turn down a $98 million contract either, no matter how unethical we thought it was.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Jerzey Devil

It's not fair of the owners or the league to try to change contracts that were already signed. They should have to honor all contracts that are already in tact.

That being said it does bring a slight smile to my face that his relationship with his new owner is off to a bad start.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Steve Holt
Haters gonna hate

#RyanSuterProblems?

Old
10-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
It's not fair of the owners or the league to try to change contracts that were already signed. They should have to honor all contracts that are already in tact.

That being said it does bring a slight smile to my face that his relationship with his new owner is off to a bad start.
No contract was guaranteed in absolute $ value. It was that way during the last CBA and it will be that way in the coming CBA. All contracts are regulated by a CBA. Suter should know this already, or his agent is incompetent.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Was Ryan Suter unaware that the collective bargaining agreement that he negotiated his contract under the parameters of was set to expire? Sounds like he should be upset with his agent, not his owner.

What a ****ing moron.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 10-27-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: offensive
Closed Thread