Alicat
Charge!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
As is with all colleges these days...

Just about on par with other colleges.

They also have a good financial aid package
Salem State cost me a good $12,000 a year and I was an in-state student. It has gone up considerably since I graduated in 2005.

As for Financial Aid, I got a decent amount and I got some scholarship money. My parents paid for some as well.

I probably paid just under $30,000 for college when all was said and done.

Working in the bookstore was a huge help not only when purchasing books but having a little cash in my pocket.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
BergyDGD
#Deutschland#Arsenal

I graduated from Curry College 2010 which was 40,000+ a year including room and board. Even getting that cut in half from scholarships and financial aid I'm still in hole around 80 grand. Looking back maybe I should have gone to Bridgewater State but all in all I can't complain about my college experience and contacts from Curry have been really helpful in finding jobs. Unfortunately due to health complications I am unable work right now, but the last job I had was at ABC 6 in Providence and it was all building a network that helped get the job. Wherever you go make contacts, they'll help even more than grades as far as getting to a job you want and in the field you studied.

Edit: On Stonehill, I've never heard anything but good things, definitely would have looked there if I didn't spend so much time watching and going to Bruins games and did some homework instead. Use to go to Stonehill basketball games all the time as a kid.

Last edited by BergyDGD: 11-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.
BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Schmautzie
Dave est magané

I have an undergrad from a public school (UMass) and a masters from a private (BU). All things considered, there was no difference in the approach to education that I could measure.

I spent a total of $12,000 over 4 years to go public (yeah, I'm old) and it didn't choke me financially. I was able to get my degree, start working, and buy a a nice home while enjoying a nice quality of life. BU, in contrast, cost $30k nearly all paid for with tuition reimbursement through my employer. All things being equal, I wouldn't do it differently.

Now, my oldest son is beginning the search for college (he's a HS junior) and I'll be damned if I send him to a private school and pay 55k for him to take General Studies. Conversely, if he's dead set on being a doctor or engineer, I'd cough up the funds to send him to a Tufts or WPI (or where ever).

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
GoBs

I am a proud Stonehill Alum.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Premium price for a premium reputation, faculty, dorm rooms, class rooms, labs , equipment, and overall education.

Take a trip over one day its a beautiful campus.

Last edited by GoBs: 11-02-2012 at 06:32 PM.
GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5hole View Post
Town Spa Pizza is right up 138 in Stoughton. Nice little Brockton-style pie.

Stonehill, BTW, has DIII hockey.

And golfers bringing their daughters for visits might want to continue south a half mile on 138 to 123 West. A couple of turns get you to Joe & Leigh's (68 Prospect Street, South Easton, MA), an awesome discount shop on the edge of Pine Oaks GC.
DII hockey*

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmautzie View Post
I have an undergrad from a public school (UMass) and a masters from a private (BU). All things considered, there was no difference in the approach to education that I could measure.

I spent a total of $12,000 over 4 years to go public (yeah, I'm old) and it didn't choke me financially. I was able to get my degree, start working, and buy a a nice home while enjoying a nice quality of life. BU, in contrast, cost $30k nearly all paid for with tuition reimbursement through my employer. All things being equal, I wouldn't do it differently.

Now, my oldest son is beginning the search for college (he's a HS junior) and I'll be damned if I send him to a private school and pay 55k for him to take General Studies. Conversely, if he's dead set on being a doctor or engineer, I'd cough up the funds to send him to a Tufts or WPI (or where ever).

I think this is a good place to start winnowing down the choices. My second son is also a junior, and has already decided he want's to study engineering. He's also extremely smart, so he's looking at some of the very top schools. He should get some scholarships to offset some of the cost. I'm a firm believer that if you can get into a top 10-15 school for the course of study you want to pursue, (and that you can be successful there - that's important!) then going to a private school is worth it. Those graduates will generally have a better go of getting interviews and job offers. As the status of the school declines, the cost difference between private and public colleges becomes much less worth it. Obviously, the best case is to have a top level school for your desired course of study, like (engineering-wise) Cal-Berkeley for CA residents or U Michigan for MI residents. None of that makes sense to pay a ton to go to a school that's not well-renowned in the desired course of study, which goes right to your point that I highlighted above.

Another thing I discovered, having gone through this with my oldest son, is that a school with an experiential learning component is worth paying more for. He's at Northeastern now, and the co-op program there will give him a leg up with real-world experience (plus three opportunities to earn some money to help with his tuition.) That's added value, IMO.

Unfortunately I can't give any opinion whatsoever on Stonehill. But I can tell you that making a campus visit is important. You can learn a lot about how comfortable you'd be on the campus by going on a tour and walking around, not on a tour...

All just my opinions, take them for what they are worth...

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:01 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I skipped college (well, dropped out after one year) and I don't do hands-on work. Then again, IT is a bit different as a field in general.
Well he brought up being an electrician, thats why i said that.

In Quebec the system is different. We do grades 1-11 then while you guys are still in HS at grade 12 we go to cegep(a HS-College stage) for 2-3 years then go to university for 3-4 years.

I kind of skipped Quebec's version of college too and went back to school later on though. Didn't like the work I was doing so I got motivated. Just saying, it's not for everyone.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:59 PM
bostonphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmautzie View Post

Grad schools care 0 about where you came from. Go to umass/state.

All grad schools care about are Gpa and test score. Gpa is probably easier at state anyways.

If I could do it again I'd go to some flagship state school for a fraction of my scholarship price have a whole lot more fun and have a Gpa much better than I did.

All these other schools are probably nice. But unless your going someplace really nice going state at state price makes so much sense. The risk of tuition and the job market are just too much today. At least be aware of the risk reward of going where you choose.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Mancini0518

Looking back i probably too should have went the UMASS route but instead i fell in love with Boston and went to Suffolk. I really can't complain, i got a job a week after graduating in the field i studied and with a fortune 250 company. Im not sure that colleges matter much any more as i was hired with 5 others and they attended, NU, Syracuse, Bates and Bryant. No matter where you go you want to have a good GPA and internships that are relevant for job placement after school it seems like.

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote