HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

"WOW" Player Personnel Move Upcoming?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Why are people acting as if the Belanger signing was terrible. Belanger is a top 5 third line center in the NHL at the time Tambi signed him. His faceoffs are great and he usually nets 40 points. Last season was one of his worst seasons of his career. Nobody has a crystal ball.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Why are people acting as if the Belanger signing was terrible. Belanger is a top 5 third line center in the NHL at the time Tambi signed him. His faceoffs are great and he usually nets 40 points. Last season was one of his worst seasons of his career. Nobody has a crystal ball.
Except that seems to happen to a lot of players.

By far of the majority of players that sign/traded here do worse than their previous years.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
Except that seems to happen to a lot of players.

By far of the majority of players that sign/traded here do worse than their previous years.
In the last decade, Belanger has only had one season that wasn't between 33 and 41 points... Usually you'd assume that would continue. How was management supposed to know that one of the more consistent 3rd line centers in the league would have his offense take a nose dive?

Old
10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Based on the clues Bob said today, i think its Del Zotto or maybe O'Reilly. The two key clues are:

a) Team with Cap troubles going forward. (I'm assuming he's talking about the 13/14 season)

b) A player who is at this moment an unsigned RFA. This is a very short list.

Del Zotto is somewhat redundant with McDonagh there. Rangers have 4 guys with huge contracts (Lundqvist, Nash, Richards & Gaborik).

I think Colorado could maybe sign O'Reilly but they have Statsny, Downie, Duchene and Landeskog all free agents after the 13/14 season.

O'Reilly makes more sense with the Oilers needs. However, I doubt Colorado would want to trade within the division or conference (If the division changes with realignment). Del Zotto makes sense based on the clues but i don't know why the Oilers would have interest.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
In the last decade, Belanger has only had one season that wasn't between 33 and 41 points... Usually you'd assume that would continue. How was management supposed to know that one of the more consistent 3rd line centers in the league would have his offense take a nose dive?
yeah it was really, really weird what happened to belanger last year.... if there is hockey this year, i fully expect him to play quite a bit better

Old
10-30-2012, 02:10 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
First off, lmao at the way Stauffer can throw this board into a tizzy.
Given his current job (apologist for the Katz group) he is more than likely under orders to do whatever he can to divert attention from the arena debacle.

Second, there is no way the Oilers ever trade anything of value for Luongo. Tamby is the dumbest man in hockey and even he wouldn't be dumb enough to help out a division rival that way.

Third, I'm concerned about a word in the Brownlee article Stoneman posted in another thread .... I don't like Brownlee but imo he's more credible than Stauffer.

"With Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall and (maybe) rookie Nail Yakupov forming the core of the forward mix for the next decade, the Oilers are going to need functional toughness."

What's with that "maybe" there ?
Maybe because Yakupov has yet to play a game in the NHL. I don't know for sure but maybe.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:16 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Based on the clues Bob said today, i think its Del Zotto or maybe O'Reilly. The two key clues are:

a) Team with Cap troubles going forward. (I'm assuming he's talking about the 13/14 season)

Del Zotto is somewhat redundant with McDonagh there. Rangers have 4 guys with huge contracts (Lundqvist, Nash, Richards & Gaborik).

I think Colorado could maybe sign O'Reilly but they have Statsny, Downie, Duchene and Landeskog all free agents after the 13/14 season.

O'Reilly makes more sense with the Oilers needs. However, I doubt Colorado would want to trade within the division or conference (If the division changes with realignment). Del Zotto makes sense based on the clues but i don't know why the Oilers would have interest.
I took it as a cap team that could be in trouble next year when the cap goes down significantly due to the new cba. He also mentioned someone who would make a difference right now.

Vancouver and Luongo fit both scenarios. The only fly in the ointment would be if Luongo wanted to come here. I have no interest in acquiring Luongo and I think we would be setting ourselves up for failure if he comes here, and either plays below expectations or doesnt like it for whatever reason, then wants out ala Pronger.

No thanks to that. Weve suffered a lot over the last few years, no need to throw it all away by making a dumb dumb trade/signing.

They said they were going to do things differently, and build from within, and that is exactly what they should do. No more whale hunting.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I took it as a cap team that could be in trouble next year when the cap goes down significantly due to the new cba. He also mentioned someone who would make a difference right now.

Vancouver and Luongo fit both scenarios. The only fly in the ointment would be if Luongo wanted to come here. I have no interest in acquiring Luongo and I think we would be setting ourselves up for failure if he comes here, and either plays below expectations or doesnt like it for whatever reason, then wants out ala Pronger.

No thanks to that. Weve suffered a lot over the last few years, no need to throw it all away by making a dumb dumb trade/signing.

They said they were going to do things differently, and build from within, and that is exactly what they should do. No more whale hunting.
When asked if the player could be acquired by offer sheet. Bob had a long pause then said something along the lines of We will leave it at that. That makes me think the player is currently an RFA

Old
10-30-2012, 02:26 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Wrong again. I was one of the pessimists who suggested that the Oilers would do poorly in 2011-12 due to their crappy lineup. I also said in 2010-11. I also said Pat Quinn was the wrong hire.

I have extremely low expectations of this team - why? Because of past experience and performance of the management team.

My disappointment with the post 2006 Oilers has 100% to do with the nonsensical management.

Did you view Dany Heatley as good option, in particular for a trade with Dustin Penner, Ladislav Smid and Andrew Cogliano? I didn't. But Oilers management did.

Did I view signing Khabibulin for four years as a good option? I didn't, but the Oilers management did.

Did I view hiring Pat Quinn as coach as a good option? I didn't, but the Oilers management did.

I don't see how any of these criticisms is a problem with MY expectations.

What could the Oilers have done instead? Its not NHL2012, I'm not suggesting full scale changes, but good lord man, there are basic things that could have been done that wasn't rocket science or reaching for the moon.

a) Let's start with not hiring a 70 year retread like Pat Quinn who simply isn't good with coaching young players and who simply is too old for modern day NHL. how about a younger coach with real potential? That's why I fully applaud the hiring of Krueger.

b) how about actual quality NHL defensemen? What a concept. Instead of throwing yet another rookie/sophomore into the battle (ala Smid, Petry, etc.). The Oilers could have signed veteran defensemen who weren't hot commodities at the July 1 deadline. Players like Robyn Regehr, Jan Hejda, Nik Grossman or Carlo Carlaiacovo for example. I didn't mind the Cam Barker signing - but not as a top four option.

c) I have difficulty believing your opinion - that there was no other choice for the Oilers management than to sign the players they did. I'm not suggesting that the Oilers should be in the running for Shea Weber or Zach Parise. I'm suggesting however there are less popular but still solid choices. Watch what Nashville predators or Phoenix Coyotes are doing for example.

man we should make this guy gm.. he would turn this ship around no problem!

Old
10-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
When asked if the player could be acquired by offer sheet. Bob had a long pause then said something along the lines of We will leave it at that. That makes me think the player is currently an RFA
Who is a pending rfa on a cap team? Colorado and Dallas arent cap teams. Do we need another cream puff rfa like Del Zotto? Wouldnt that betray why Schultz came here in the first place to be that offensive guy? I dont see team's looking to part with rfa's whose rights they still own. Its not like they are obligated to give them huge raises if they dont want to.

The Rangers arent a cap team anyway.

He is talking about giving a team some cap relief. That would be Vancouver, Boston, Philly, Minny, SJ, Calgary, etc.

No interest in Boumeester either.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Think we can rule out "made up for ratings" with that level of specificity.

Last edited by SK13: 10-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

There was a similar rumor in one of the previous trade rumor threads a few months ago which suggested the Oilers would make a move for an RFA, I suggested MDZ back then but was told by another poster who was more in the know, to think forward not defense.
I am not 100% sure but IIRC that rumor originated from Bob Stauffer too.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:50 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm not blaming management per say, i'm simply saying this is an ongoing trend with this team.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Not sure about 'WOW' player, but I believe Buffalo was a team who wanted to shed salary after the season. I also believe they have an excess of D-man. Not sure about RFA part though.

10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Do you work for the Kremlin?

Old
10-30-2012, 02:56 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Not sure about 'WOW' player, but I believe Buffalo was a team who wanted to shed salary after the season. I also believe they have an excess of D-man. Not sure about RFA part though.
Ah, so it's a wow ST is that ****ing stupid for taking on a worse contract than Horcoffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
There was a similar rumor in one of the previous trade rumor threads a few months ago which suggested the Oilers would make a move for an RFA, I suggested MDZ back then but was told by another poster who was more in the know, to think forward not defense.
I am not 100% sure but IIRC that rumor originated from Bob Stauffer too.
Was it a rumor or just suggestion by fan, there was a lot of that for quite some time. Never did see anyone credible mention anything though.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:56 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

My bet is nothing happens

Old
10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Who is a pending rfa on a cap team? Colorado and Dallas arent cap teams. Do we need another cream puff rfa like Del Zotto? Wouldnt that betray why Schultz came here in the first place to be that offensive guy? I dont see team's looking to part with rfa's whose rights they still own. Its not like they are obligated to give them huge raises if they dont want to.

The Rangers arent a cap team anyway.
I agree with you on Del Zotto. I am just going by the clues Bob gave on the show. The other issue is that you are looking at the cap in its current state.

The cap will go down for the 13/14 season once the CBA is ratified, i think we all agree on that. Therefore if you look at who needs to be resigned after 12/13 (Colorado) and the big contracts already eating up the cap space (New York) you get the result of Del Zotto and O'Reilly as cap casualties, again based on the clues.

Old
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Basically that says Luongo to me. And to me that doesn't seem to bad. If we can grab him for say PRV + 2nd or something like that and get 2-3 years out of him before moving him off to one of the Florida based teams so he can be near his wife.

With Luongo in net, we are a playoff team this season. Dubnyk is solid enough for those stretches when Luo is a little off. Plus I also think if we can get Luo we open ourselves up for a couple of needed utility players to sign in the offseason with us.

Old
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
I'm gonna disagree. What trade on earth would matter when the season started? Unless we're talking about a 39 year old, or grandpa getting on the ice.

He has a show thats called "oilers now", and there is no season--no oilers. Making it "lock-out now" -- ( i know its cheesy but im making a point).

I'm sure after the first month of the same old, same old people are tuning off. In fact Stauffer should be thanking Katz for this arena fiasco, or his rating would of taken a tumble earlier. (maybe bob texted katz to tell him what to do for high ratings, now there is a conspiracy )

Old
10-30-2012, 02:59 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I agree with you on Del Zotto. I am just going by the clues Bob gave on the show. The other issue is that you are looking at the cap in its current state.

The cap will go down for the 13/14 season once the CBA is ratified, i think we all agree on that. Therefore if you look at who needs to be resigned after 12/13 (Colorado) and the big contracts already eating up the cap space (New York) you get the result of Del Zotto and O'Reilly as cap casualties, again based on the clues.
Problem is depending what they do with bonuses we could be cap team going forward.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Basically that says Luongo to me. And to me that doesn't seem to bad. If we can grab him for say PRV + 2nd or something like that and get 2-3 years out of him before moving him off to one of the Florida based teams so he can be near his wife.

With Luongo in net, we are a playoff team this season. Dubnyk is solid enough for those stretches when Luo is a little off. Plus I also think if we can get Luo we open ourselves up for a couple of needed utility players to sign in the offseason with us.
I really don't think moving Lou to Florida in 2-3 or even 5 years is an option. Well not one I'd bank on anyways.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
I'm gonna disagree. What trade on earth would matter when the season started? Unless we're talking about a 39 year old, or grandpa getting on the ice.

He has a show thats called "oilers now", and there is no season--no oilers. Making it "lock-out now" -- ( i know its cheesy but im making a point).

I'm sure after the first month of the same old, same old people are tuning off. In fact Stauffer should be thanking Katz for this arena fiasco, or his rating would of taken a tumble earlier. (maybe bob texted katz to tell him what to do for high ratings, now there is a conspiracy )
Of course he is doing it for ratings. That's not the the question. The question is would he make something up to get ratings or does he legitimately know something we dont. My guess is the latter.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Of course he is doing it for ratings. That's not the the question. The question is would he make something up to get ratings or does he legitimately know something we dont. My guess is the latter.
If he was going to do it for ratings he should've waited until HFOil started picking on ST for lack of deals in the past. This way he could've thrown fake support in ST's corner.

Instead he just started two **** storms.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If he was going to do it for ratings he should've waited until HFOil started picking on ST for lack of deals in the past. This way he could've thrown fake support in ST's corner.

Instead he just started two **** storms.
Everything he puts in his show is for ratings. He wants to draw as many people to keep his job. But in my opinion he has no reason to make fake rumors people are still in to the progress of the oilers prospects enough to do a decent show. He also doesn't strike me as the guy who goes out of his way to male rumors.

Closed Thread