HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

"WOW" Player Personnel Move Upcoming?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Namtsua

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
If we acquired Ovechkin, I'd try moving Hemsky to centre before I would Hall.

Hall - Nuge - Ebs
Ovechkin - Hemsky - Yakupov

Got a high end playmaker between two deadly snipers on both lines. We'd have by far best top 6 in the NHL.

But there's no chance we got a shot at OV.
The sheer amount of skill in that top 6 would be unbelievable and, not to mention, our 2nd PP unit would be deadly too

Old
11-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Oilers don't have a single #2 on a good team, maybe a #3 in Smid. Petry is no better than a #4 on a good team, same with N. Schultz. The way Whitney played last year he is closer to bottom pairing than top pairing.

This team needs someone legit. And whether soft or not, Bouwmeester is legit and he can play the game of hockey. He has a more complete game than any other d-man on the Oilers. I also wouldn't count him out as getting back to putting up 40 points (which he did consistently prior to getting to Calgary) if he played with the Oilers forward group.

The top end young d-men are not realistic options. The Oilers don't have the assets to make it happen without giving away one of the big 4. If this team wants to compete for a playoff shot then they need another top 4 d-man. Bouwmeester looks like he could potentially be available and be an affordable option for the team. There aren't a lot of guys like that out there right now.
He is the Horcoff of defensemen. Completely ingrained in losing. That is exactly what we DONT need any more of on this team.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
World of Warcraft personnel move. That's what Stauffer meant

Old
11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

vCash: 500
Hmmm... Makes you wonder...

What would the asking price be for someone like Mark Streit... takes our D-Core solidly out of "perennial suck" and into "middle" territory...

Old
11-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

What would the asking price be for someone like Mark Streit... takes our D-Core solidly out of "perennial suck" and into "middle" territory...
Depends on who your asking, HF or Garth Snow and the big Wang. Although you're asking them for something they are currently short of. PMD. Mind you they do have Vis at ransom but why give up assets currently when we can likely poach Streit in next years UFA pool with and of course pending a season will have proven the strength of his knee.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:30 PM
5cupstandard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtsua View Post
The sheer amount of skill in that top 6 would be unbelievable and, not to mention, our 2nd PP unit would be deadly too
Do you think the edition being a Russian player could hold any ground? I dont have a link but i'm pretty sure I remember talk about acquiring a Russian player to "show Yak the way..."

Old
11-06-2012, 10:30 PM
zeus3007*

I still think a deal with Phoenix makes a ton of sense. They are sorely lacking in offensive players and stacked on the blueline, the opposite of our problem, and have traditionally taken risks on some smaller, skill based guys who hadn't broken out yet. Gagner, Pajaarvi, prospect, draft pick for Keith Yandle (as it absolutely won't be Oliver Ekman-Larson).

Old
11-07-2012, 12:42 AM
SLURVE

I have a reliable source from my dog named Boo about a couple of trade rumours regarding Ryane Clowe for Hemsky and Kulikov-am unsigned RFA- will be re-signed by Florida and then traded to the Oilers for Marincin and MPS. Good dog, Boo Boo...

Old
11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Just thinking outside the box here..

David Krejci? Playing with Hemsky right now in Pardubice. Boston already has Seguin and Bergeron as a 1-2 punch.. We could use a stronger #2 center.. Probably way off here but just an idea.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:28 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Just thinking outside the box here..

David Krejci? Playing with Hemsky right now in Pardubice. Boston already has Seguin and Bergeron as a 1-2 punch.. We could use a stronger #2 center.. Probably way off here but just an idea.
I think Krejci could be available. But I don't know what we would have to offer that isn't ridiculous overpayment for him.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:53 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cupstandard View Post
Do you think the edition being a Russian player could hold any ground? I dont have a link but i'm pretty sure I remember talk about acquiring a Russian player to "show Yak the way..."
Well, then I vote volchenkov... He'd be a good mentor for many of our D

Old
11-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Perfect_Drug

Volchenkov, Krejci, Couture, and Clowe are not 'WoW' trades.

They're 'oh that's nice' type trades.

WOW Trades (from what Stauffer was insinuating) would involve bringing in a guy that's a threat to win some individual hardware at the award ceremonies.

Only a few guys around the league I could see being available (even though surprising) would be Ovechkin, Tavares, OEL, Pieterangelo types.

And even though highly unlikely, my speculation is more in that range.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:25 AM
bucks_oil

I appreciate your exacting standards

Old
11-07-2012, 02:27 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
A "wow" trade could be for any player Bob has a crush on...

Old
11-07-2012, 02:39 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1429
It is fun watching uis chase our tails here to brain storm ideas

Old
11-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Volchenkov, Krejci, Couture, and Clowe are not 'WoW' trades.

They're 'oh that's nice' type trades.

WOW Trades (from what Stauffer was insinuating) would involve bringing in a guy that's a threat to win some individual hardware at the award ceremonies.

Only a few guys around the league I could see being available (even though surprising) would be Ovechkin, Tavares, OEL, Pieterangelo types.

And even though highly unlikely, my speculation is more in that range.
I disagree on Couture and Krejci. Couture had back to back 30 goal seasons and is only 23. He would be an incredible 2nd line centre behind RNH. He's also responsible defensively and plays some PK. That would be a wow move for me.

Same goes for Krejci. He is more of a playmaker than Couture, but how good would that look with Yakupov on his wing? Back to back 60 point seasons and only 26. Oh and did I mention he led the league in playoff scoring on the way to the Stanley Cup? Maybe not as big of a wow as Couture but still would be an incredible piece to add to this young squad.

EDIT: Also I think there is 0 chance of the Oilers trading for Couture - it would cost way too much to get him (ie: Ebs, Hall, RNH, Yak or Schultz). No point giving up one of those pieces. Krejci is a possibility given his salary and Boston being very close to the cap. It would not be cheap to get him however.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:51 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Maybe "WOW" = the amount of players/assets involved in trade?

Say a trade with Dallas if Benn wants to come here for whatever reason(s) and we send back Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi, 2013 1st, 2013 2nd, and Potter/Teubert for Benn, Morrow, and Fistric. That IMO would be a WOW trade. This of course is just me throwing **** out there, I haven't heard anything of the sort.

J. Bouw or Luongo are only WOW's because of the teams that they play on and how rare it is to trade inter division.

11-07-2012, 03:02 AM
488fitter

Buffalo could be a good trading partner. They currently have 9 Dmen on the payroll if the season was to start. Myers would be a big "wow" for me

On a serious note...maybe Miller? That is wow worthy perhaps. He had a frustrating year in Buffalo, and Khabby is rumoured to possibly be calling it quits. In 2 years... let go of Devon, pick up a decent back-up goalie cheaper then Dubby's current price tag, and sign Miller to a 4-6 year deal (he's 32).

Old
11-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Say a trade with Dallas if Benn wants to come here for whatever reason(s) and we send back Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi, 2013 1st, 2013 2nd, and Potter/Teubert for Benn, Morrow, and Fistric. That IMO would be a WOW trade. This of course is just me throwing **** out there, I haven't heard anything of the sort.

J. Bouw or Luongo are only WOW's because of the teams that they play on and how rare it is to trade inter division.
Yeah interesting thought BBO. I have a hard time believing Jamie Benn gets moved from Dallas though - unless it's really just a $ problem. Not sure what the state of their ownership is at the moment.

I hope it's not J Bo or Luongo because I think we would have to overpay to get a team from within our division to move one of those two players.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Yeah interesting thought BBO. I have a hard time believing Jamie Benn gets moved from Dallas though - unless it's really just a $ problem. Not sure what the state of their ownership is at the moment.

I hope it's not J Bo or Luongo because I think we would have to overpay to get a team from within our division to move one of those two players.
Their ownership is in better hands now than it was, the only way that we'd be getting him is if he requested a trade to us IMO. But for me, he is definitely a wow kind of a player.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Baggers

If J-Bo doesn't cost much, I really fail to see how picking him up would be a bad move.

I get that he's soft, has a large contract, and he's never been to the playoffs. He's also better than any current Oilers defenseman.

Worst case scenario? He bumps Peckham off the roster.

Best case scenario? He's the Oilers version of Brian Campbell (who was viewed as being overpaid and underperforming when Florida picked him up).

Old
11-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Their ownership is in better hands now than it was, the only way that we'd be getting him is if he requested a trade to us IMO. But for me, he is definitely a wow kind of a player.
I liked seeing Benn with Eberle and Nuge at the WHC. He's exactly the type of player I'd like to see on the Oilers. He's tough, he's young and his skill is underrated around the league, probably because he's not overly flashy, just does what needs to be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gooSCaSxcH0

Just a little taste of what Benn brings.

I doubt he comes our way, but man would that be great for us if he did.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Think people are fixating on the "wow" term too much.

It's likely Bouwmeester, and while in the real world that isn't a "wow" move, and debatably even a "not bad" move - it's likely nothing more than over exaggeration when hyping the scale of a potential move by someone who is a friend of the Bouwmeester family, and trying to drum up ratings in the middle of a lockout.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Paralyzer008

It feels like we have all of these pieces (Gagner, Paajarvi, Hemsky etc.) to potentially deal but they aren't actually good enough pieces to make a WOW deal, I just can't really match up a trading partner right now. We might have a better idea of who we are going for when the season is closer to starting and the names hit the rumor mill again.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

I doubt Streit is available, especially considering they have to figure out what to do with Lubo. Lubo on the other hand would be a wow, would he not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Well, then I vote volchenkov... He'd be a good mentor for many of our D
He's hurt once again, I wouldn't take him to be honest.
Quote:

Maybe the wow, was just said because someone walked by Stauffer with a nice lunch? Maybe the wow is purely accidental.

Closed Thread