HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"WOW" Player Personnel Move Upcoming?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
What's the best way to distract people from the fact the owner is being a ******? Promise epic moves. Who cares if it never actually happens, it will be enough to keep busy for a couple weeks until he says something fell through.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
harpoon
FOB

I went back to Brownlee's article at ON and scanned through the comments. Seems some other fans also took exception to his use of the "maybe" and Brownlee responded ......

"I'm not putting Yakupov in the same category as the others -- YET -- because he hasn't played a single NHL game.
His early returns from the KHL are promising, but I'm not declaring him a core player with this team for the next decade until we see him actually play here. That's reasonable, no?"

So I'm an idiot. Apologies to the board .... please move along.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:30 PM
metallicat

If Stauffer knows what the move may be, I don't think it'll be Horcoff related. He said this "wow" thing shortly after suggesting the Oilers should not buy horcoff out if there's an amnesty clause in the new cba.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:31 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
A big move that no one would see coming is Horcoff being shipped out of town.
Horcoff for Luongo?

Old
10-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Lobotomizer*

Stauffer goes from washing Katz's car to shining his shoes...wow

Old
10-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Gotta be Radulov.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
First off, lmao at the way Stauffer can throw this board into a tizzy.
Given his current job (apologist for the Katz group) he is more than likely under orders to do whatever he can to divert attention from the arena debacle.

Second, there is no way the Oilers ever trade anything of value for Luongo. Tamby is the dumbest man in hockey and even he wouldn't be dumb enough to help out a division rival that way.

Third, I'm concerned about a word in the Brownlee article Stoneman posted in another thread .... I don't like Brownlee but imo he's more credible than Stauffer.

"With Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall and (maybe) rookie Nail Yakupov forming the core of the forward mix for the next decade, the Oilers are going to need functional toughness."

What's with that "maybe" there ?
Quote:
Fair enough. But ftr, I read the Brownlee article before I looked at this thread and the "maybe" really stood out to me. I get that Yakupov hasn't proven anything in the NHL (as several other posters also commented) but to me that doesn't warrant throwing in that "maybe". I've been watching the KHL games and anyone with eyes can see that this kid is the real deal. The chances that he does not become an impact NHL player are virtually nil.

But does he actually believe that Yakupov doesn't have the required talent to slot right into the NHL? I doubt it. Even old farts can see the writing on the wall here.

But he still has friends in the Edmonton media community and is a regular guest on all the sports talk shows. Big news gets around in that community.

Just going off their past work, Stauffer is like the kid who can't keep his mouth shut until Christmas about what's under the tree, while Brownlee would be much more likely to slide a little "maybe" into a seemingly unrelated column.

I fully admit that I'm reading a lot into one word and I fervently hope I'm out to lunch here ..... but lets just say some GM has been watching Yakupov's work in the KHL and offered up a big package for the kid. Tamby (who I believe was never totally sold on Yakupov in the first place because of his cockiness and worries about how he might fit in with other alpha types on the Oil roster) might just be dumb enough to bite.

Anyway, that's my prediction ..... Tamby trades away a future all-star before he's ever even played a game in the oil drop.
I agree, strange indeed.

Quote:
I went back to Brownlee's article at ON and scanned through the comments. Seems some other fans also took exception to his use of the "maybe" and Brownlee responded ......

"I'm not putting Yakupov in the same category as the others -- YET -- because he hasn't played a single NHL game.
His early returns from the KHL are promising, but I'm not declaring him a core player with this team for the next decade until we see him actually play here. That's reasonable, no?"

So I'm an idiot. Apologies to the board .... please move along.
The bolded could also mean that until he plays for the Oilers he could be on his way out of Dodge. I really doubt it as Nail would thrive here with our 3 other kids and Schultz, but you never know.

10-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Ogopogo*

[QUOTE=oiler-dude;55375537]https://twitter.com/OilersNow/status/263000249633742848

Interesting... Any thoughts, HF Oil? Luongo?[/QUOTE]

Not an f'ing chance. The city would revolt.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:33 PM
SDig14

[QUOTE=Ogopogo;55388257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
https://twitter.com/OilersNow/status/263000249633742848

Interesting... Any thoughts, HF Oil? Luongo?[/QUOTE]

Not an f'ing chance. The city would revolt.
Probably.

The price would have to be pretty low.

Just doesn't make much sense given age, contract, Dubnyk, and likely further decline in his play over the next few years.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Oilers organization doesn't care if they make the fans/city mad.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Paralyzer008

Player personnel...

Trade talks aren't allowed in this period, so I heavily doubt it's a trade.

My guesses are:

A) Taylor Hall is named captain

OR

B) Ryan Smyth retires

Old
10-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Player personnel...

My guesses are:

OR

B) Ryan Smyth retires
No way do I see Ryan Smyth retiring yet. He still loves the game too much and is relatively healthy. Practicing with the Oil Kings is a good indication that he's trying to stay in good shape to start the season.

I agree with point A though. I could see the leadership on this team being changed after this lockout ends.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:10 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Player personnel...

My guesses are:

OR

B) Ryan Smyth retires

Don't see how either is really a WOW.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:26 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Don't see how either is really a WOW.
I could see Bob thinking taking the C from Horcoff as a "wow" moment.

I'd welcome it though, how could it be any worse? It's clear he is the emotional leader on this team, and has played a couple years already so isn't tossed in as early as a guy like Gabe.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
I have a bad feeling that the "Wow" move is Luongo. I have a really bad feeling.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Cam98

if we get luongo ill snap.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

I really have no idea why so many are against picking up Luongo. I would to have him on my team contract and all.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:38 AM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I have a bad feeling that the "Wow" move is Luongo. I have a really bad feeling.
This from the same Bob Stauffer who dismissed the Luongo rumour as bs only a few short weeks ago?

Old
10-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Qrispy

I'd easily do Horcoff for Luongo but I really doubt this "wow" thing is about Luongo.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:05 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I really have no idea why so many are against picking up Luongo. I would to have him on my team contract and all.
How can you not be worries about the contract length, cap hit with all our young players needing to get paid, and the fact he is well past his prime and likely on the decline well before his deal is anywhere close to ending?

I could see if he was a few years younger or the deal wasn't nearly as long, but we just paid Dubnyk 3.5 for a reason, we aren't going to tie up nearly 10 million in net.

And all this take of him beings too 5 goalie is a joke IMO, his stats are declining and likely aren't going to spike again, especially when he is traded from a good defensive team to one of the worst in the league.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Same here. He's a star goaltender that can provide veteran leadership. He'll make Toronto a true contender overnight.

Gotta say that the passing of the "C" makes the most sense, with the only Oiler news being Horcoff's snit, and Hall showing his usual full-on dedication to being ready for the team. Now's the time to crown the new king and change the atmosphere.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Perfect_Drug

I don't think anyone would hate Luongo for 2-3 seasons. We just hate the thought of an over-the-hill Luongo handcuffing our cap so we can't sign Nuge and Yakupov in their prime.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:16 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Well, we'd still have his contract on the books when all our kids need 3rd contracts, and he probably won't be nearly as effective in 7-8 years.

Plus the asking price many Canuck fans are expecting is very high. They are thinking 2 of Hemsky, Paajarvi and our 1st. Imo, that's way too much for a goalie that wasn't that much better than Dubnyk last season, on a far better team.

I am hoping this is a changing of the captaincy to Hall. If it's anything more than a ratings grab.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Well, we'd still have his contract on the books when all our kids need 3rd contracts, and he probably won't be nearly as effective in 7-8 years.

Plus the asking price many Canuck fans are expecting is way too much. They are thinking 2 of Hemsky, Paajarvi and our 1st. Imo, that's way too much for a goalie that wasn't that much better than Dubnyk last season, on a far better team.

I am hoping this is a changing of the captaincy to Hall. If it's anything more than a ratings grab.
Ovechkin's rights are traded to the Oilers for spare parts, as Washington doesn't believe he will stay in the NHL.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:24 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Plus the asking price many Canuck fans are expecting is very high. They are thinking 2 of Hemsky, Paajarvi and our 1st. Imo, that's way too much for a goalie that wasn't that much better than Dubnyk last season, on a far better team.

The more puzzling thing for me is that people still think he is a top 5 elite goalie in this league.

Closed Thread