HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson: Would those 3 put up points together?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:23 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson: Would those 3 put up points together?

I'd really like a dynamite third line again, we haven't really had one since Savard was healthy.

How much offense would there be on this line? I think it would be awesome. I think they'd score like a second line.

Wondering what other people think.

Paille could go off on that line I think he's our secret weapon and can score as much as anyone in our system we need to give him a bigger role. Contract year for him too.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:25 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

What's the other lines look like?

13Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I'd really like a dynamite third line again, we haven't really had one since Savard was healthy.

How much offense would there be on this line? I think it would be awesome. I think they'd score like a second line.

Paille could go off on that line I think he's our secret weapon and can score as much as anyone in our system we need to give him a bigger role. Contract year for him too.
If one of Bergeron or Krejci miss a week, we could try that but I do like it just not with the current roster.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:26 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Hockey View Post
What's the other lines look like?

Kid with Bergeron and Marchy, Kelly and GC together for PK with Thornton, LKI.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Bruinator

To be honest, I was thinking about the possibility of putting the two swedes together and spreading the wealth a bit better through the top 9. At first glance I wouldn't be too keen on splitting up the Merlot line, but with Kelly on the wing instead of Paille, nut sure it really loses much.

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Marchand - Bergeron - Fraser/Smith
Paille - Soderberg - Erickson
Thornton - Campbell - Kelly

Might be worth a shot if they struggle to find a combination that works for the 3rd line.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

I am sorry, I don't want to pay Eriksson 4.5 million to skate on the 3rd line.

I love Paille, and he does some things really well, but he just isn't a great scorer.

I'd much rather see Eriksson skate with Bergy and Marchand, where they become the ultimate shutdown line in the league, and maybe we get to see the 30+ goal version of Eriksson

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
BrainOfJ
Pure Bread

Sounds like a good way to waste a 30 goal guy IMO.

Free the Swede.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post

I love Paille, and he does some things really well, but he just isn't a great scorer. I'd much rather see Eriksson skate with Bergy and Marchand, where they become the ultimate shutdown line in the league, and maybe we get to see the 30+ goal version of Eriksson
What was it that Thornton said in the playoffs, "Maybe we've been holding him back". Maybe there is some truth to that. Looked real dangerous when he was put with Kelly and Seguin and scored two game winning goals to boot. If nothing else maybe he is the answer to the 3rd line wing spot and we throw one of the kids on the 4th.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post

Free the Swede.
Yeah, pretty tough to not have him on the top 2. Whatever happens, should be real fun to watch.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post

Free the Swede.
I see what you are saying but I love doing something that gets Kelly off the third line without losing a premier defensive forward. Soderberg and Paille with Kelly isn't going to score that much. With Eriksson they are like a second line.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Colt.45Orr

I was trying to figure out a way to get the Swedes together too as the Yeti's offense will be killed by playing with Kelly if/when he has another ****-show-season.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:45 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
To be honest, I was thinking about the possibility of putting the two swedes together and spreading the wealth a bit better through the top 9. At first glance I wouldn't be too keen on splitting up the Merlot line, but with Kelly on the wing instead of Paille, nut sure it really loses much.

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Marchand - Bergeron - Fraser/Smith
Paille - Soderberg - Erickson
Thornton - Campbell - Kelly

Might be worth a shot if they struggle to find a combination that works for the 3rd line.
I get what you're driving at, but I have to agree with the others that Eriksson belongs on one of the top 2 lines. Of course, Merlot line works well, so I think that leaves us in a nice position, actually, to play a lot with a third line, staffing it with the hottest combination of guys at any particular time, even if that changes from time to time, having the effect of keeping it a loose, no pressure, carefree line to just go out there and do their stuff. Love Sodeberg as the center with a platooning staff of wingers. I think that could work out very well and give us a chance to audition a large number of players over the course of a season and showcase player(s) for trades.

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
Aw, what the hell, let's make another thread about how much Gagne sucks.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
weaponomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
What was it that Thornton said in the playoffs, "Maybe we've been holding him back". Maybe there is some truth to that. Looked real dangerous when he was put with Kelly and Seguin and scored two game winning goals to boot. If nothing else maybe he is the answer to the 3rd line wing spot and we throw one of the kids on the 4th.
I don't buy it.

I've seen enough of Paille to know that he just doesn't have the hands, or instinct to be a consistent scorer. Yeah he can get hot and pot a few in a row, but he can't be counted on to be a consistent scorer. He would bring this line down with his inability to finish and lack of play making skills.

weaponomega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:57 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega View Post
I don't buy it.

I've seen enough of Paille to know that he just doesn't have the hands, or instinct to be a consistent scorer. Yeah he can get hot and pot a few in a row, but he can't be counted on to be a consistent scorer. He would bring this line down with his inability to finish and lack of play making skills.
His hands are average but he gets so many scoring chances despite the limited ice time. I don't think anyone else gets as many breakaways as him.

Regardless you are going to have to play him off the fourth line (and not next to Kelly) to find out if he could have a 40 point season as a third liner.

However I sort of think he's more likely to produce on a line like that than our prospects who probably all are better served with another 80 games in the AHL or some of the recent trade/signings.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:09 AM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

Quote:
Kid with Bergeron and Marchy, Kelly and GC together for PK with Thornton, LKI.
Could be some Interesting combos and spread the offense out nicely.

But I don't think you could start the year with those lines

Right now we have no clue how Smith/Fraser/Knight/Spooner will perform for the B's if one of them steps up and becomes a 20 goal scorer than it could work

If they don't looks like were in for another year like last year relaying on the top 6 to carry the offense. Unless of course Soderberg puts the 3rd line on his back

13Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:23 AM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post

I love Paille, and he does some things really well, but he just isn't a great scorer.

I'd much rather see Eriksson skate with Bergy and Marchand, where they become the ultimate shutdown line in the league, and maybe we get to see the 30+ goal version of Eriksson
Eriksson Bergeron Marchand would be great and would probably turn out to be our "real" first line most games

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
Eriksson Bergeron Marchand would be great and would probably turn out to be our "real" first line most games
Yeah I get why you say that, but on hockey reasons I think it will be split evenly between the Bergeron and Krejci lines.

Also Your wings are swaped just a little thing of mine.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Lucic | Krejci | Iginla
Marchand | Bergeron | Rookie
Yeti | Kelly | Eriksson
Paille | Campbell | Thornton

07-12-2013, 08:03 AM
KrejciMVP

Oh god here we go, put one of our best players on the 3rd line. Julien please go back to your summer vacation!!!

KrejciMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I was trying to figure out a way to get the Swedes together too as the Yeti's offense will be killed by playing with Kelly if/when he has another ****-show-season.
I disagree. If anything playing with Kelly will allow him to play like he did back in Sweden. He'll still have to play defense but his focus will be offensive.

Last year was an anomaly. Since he's been in the league he's been a 30 point player all but 2 seasons since he broke in as a regular in 2005. In 2008-09 he had 23 assists.

He averages 14.11 goals and 12.9 assists per year. He is consistent in all aspects of his game up until this season which was a fluke.

He allows his wingers to jump into plays because of his defensive abilities. With Pevs out, he will have a key role in the PK. Bergy, Kelly, Paille and Campbell are one hell of a group.

Have a little faith and an open mind.

I am Boston Strong

Last edited by Alicat: 07-12-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:33 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Everyone would like a dynamite 3rd line, truth is, we as fans have been spoiled for a few years now by this Bruins team who`s 3rd line, IMO, forced other organizations to really address just how they viewed the role of a 3rd and have been trying to slowly put forth the same model ,I`d also add that the Wings when Draper/Maltby played, and now the B`s were front runners with their belief a 4th line should be more than just a goon line who gets 3 mins nightly

Once upon a time, a 3rd line was an energy line, who "maybe" contributed, then CJ and his crew came along and put a 3rd line out who were consistently dangerous offensively and forced teams to have to address 3 offensive lines.

It`s the exception not the norm, I`ll argue that maybe only the Hawks and Pens this season had/have a 3rd who could bring what we have become far too used to here.

What would Paille/Eriksson/Sods do??? Who knows, did anyone really anticipate Paille/Kelly and Segs to have an impact??? Not me. Truth is, I`d be shocked if Eriksson see`s any 3rd line time

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
brianscot

With his speed and work ethic, the most consistent thing Paille potentially does offensively is cause turnovers due to defensemen making poor choices when rushed.

If the first two lines are filled by Lucic, Krejci, Eriksson, Marchand, Bergeron and Iginla, this leads to an interesting challenge: How do the Bruins maximize Soderberg's offensive potential?

Scoring 31 times in the Swedish Elite league is no small feat, the league is a defensive coach's paradise --- Claude would probably coach there for free.

Somehow having Soderberg play with Kelly and someone like Caron doesnt' feel like maximizing the Swede. Here's hoping that someone like Spooner or *fill in the blank* is ready to step up.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
I disagree. If anything playing with Kelly will allow him to play like he did back in Sweden. He'll still have to play defense but his focus will be offensive.

Last year was an anomaly. Since he's been in the league he's been a 30 point player all but 2 seasons since he broke in as a regular in 2005. In 2008-09 he had 23 assists.

He averages 14.11 goals and 12.9 assists per year. He is consistent in all aspects of his game up until this season which was a fluke.

He allows his wingers to jump into plays because of his defensive abilities. With Pevs out, he will have a key role in the PK. Bergy, Kelly, Paille and Campbell are one hell of a group.

Have a little faith and an open mind.
Faith/Open Mind....on HF Boards?? C`mon, stop it, just stop it

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
ap3lovr

I wouldn't move Eriksson down. He's a top 6 forward and I would play him in the top 6. I'm really hoping a rookie comes into camp and plays hard and wins a spot. I honestly would like to see Chris Kelly shipped far away from Boston. I know the coach loves him, but he really held his line back all last season.

ap3lovr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:10 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

No way is Eriksson going to a third line,nor should it even be considered. Julien pretty much spelled it out yesterday,it's either Krecji or Bergeron's line number 1.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote