2012-2013 Anaheim Ducks Prospect Update

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
Dumba got cut, oh the irony... Am I the only one that finds that amusing?
After seeing that ranking he got, I find it funny, too.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:23 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I'm not a fan of Dumba's style of play, he seems like a small Dion Phanuef to me....

Old
12-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

a lot of us wanted Dumba badly, though. And was WTF when we picked Lindholm, because Dumba and Trouba was still available.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Exit Dose

I remember getting into an argument with someone here who said that no defensemen after Murray, with the exception of Dumba, had top pairing potential. I remember telling that person that I'd like to revisit that comment in four years. I didn't think that it would take all of four months to revisit those comments. I think you just need to take some comments around here with a grain of salt, since there are many that like to pretend that they've seen the players that they talk about, while all they did was take a glance at their HockeyDB page, i.e. "Hampus Lindholm is a lot like Carl Gunnarsson".

Don't take that as a swipe at anyone that is open about having to draw conclusions from limited info, though.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

This cut doesn`t take away his chance to become a top pairing guy, but i got your point and i agree.

In some years Dumba could be a better PPG player than Leeendhoolm, but Hampus will be clearly better overall defenseman imo. Judging by his play as a 18 yo - the numbers shouldn`t be low either.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Exit Dose

I agree. I think Dumba might end up a top pairing defenseman. The issues he has today may just be something he has to outgrow.

I just think that sometimes people take the rankings as gospel, and it's important to remember how often they end up being incorrect or fails to notice a future star.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
The thing that would worry me about Dumba is that, well, he comes across as pretty stupid on the ice sometimes. No hockey smarts at all. I imagine some of his poor decisions is an aspect of his age, and could improve with time, but the rest of it... well, an educated person isn't the same as an intelligent one. Dumba, in my opinion, is one of the more talented defensemen of the draft, but if he can't improve his decision-making, I think he's going to have a tough time against the top talent in the NHL.

Granted, this opinion is based on limited viewings. We're not talking a huge sample size here. It's just that every game I saw of him the same thing popped up. Talented player, but some really questionable decisions.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Exit Dose

Gibson had 33 saves on 34 shots in his return for Kitchener.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I was always wary of Dumba. He was third on the list after Murray and Trouba, but there was a gap between Trouba and Dumba. I just thought that Trouba had some hidden potential. I sorta saw Ryan McDonagh or John Carlson in him.

Even when we picked Lindholm, I was OK with picking Lindholm over Dumba (and even Trouba). My "LINDHOLM wha?" reaction was more with skipping over Forsberg and Grigorenko.

He was never a "do not draft" though. I still think he could play top pair a la Phaneuf, who I also dislike but I can still admit is a top pairing guy.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Gibson had 33 saves on 34 shots in his return for Kitchener.
It's a stark contrast for the US team compared to last season. Campbell was in the exact same position; expected to be one of the best goalies in the tournament, and the US team needing him to be. The hope was that he'd give the US a chance to stay in any game. Unfortunately, he kind of backed his way into the tournament. He didn't look especially sharp heading into the tournament, and the disappointing play just continued in the tournament itself. The US team itself also underachieved, but you have to wonder how big a boost it might have been if Campbell had been sharp.

Gibson is heading into the tournament playing the type of hockey that Campbell wasn't. That should give Team USA a great reason to feel good about their chances, knowing Gibson has them covered. If he can keep it up, the US team should be dangerous. That should be a confidence builder.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Exit Dose

I think everyone had that reaction with Lindholm. He just wasn't in the spotlight until the very end of the year, and he was playing in a league that is difficult to get a handle on. Even with NHL players in the Allsvenskan it is still difficult to find streams or video.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's a stark contrast for the US team compared to last season. Campbell was in the exact same position; expected to be one of the best goalies in the tournament, and the US team needing him to be. The hope was that he'd give the US a chance to stay in any game. Unfortunately, he kind of backed his way into the tournament. He didn't look especially sharp heading into the tournament, and the disappointing play just continued in the tournament itself. The US team itself also underachieved, but you have to wonder how big a boost it might have been if Campbell had been sharp.

Gibson is heading into the tournament playing the type of hockey that Campbell wasn't. That should give Team USA a great reason to feel good about their chances, knowing Gibson has them covered. If he can keep it up, the US team should be dangerous. That should be a confidence builder.
I'm a little worried that people have built up the idea that he'll walk in and have a .940 save percentage. It's a higher level and those numbers are likely to come back down to Earth with all of those goalies. As you pointed out, last year's team was pretty underwhelming, and those burdens tend to be placed on the guy in net.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

For me it's not so much the numbers. I'll just say that I expect Gibson to give them a chance. He's capable of stealing games, and the US team will probably need to steal at least one game, but more than anything I expect him to keep them in it. That's the most I'd realistically expect from a goalie.

That blue line can certainly lend a hand too.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:47 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I was always wary of Dumba. He was third on the list after Murray and Trouba, but there was a gap between Trouba and Dumba. I just thought that Trouba had some hidden potential. I sorta saw Ryan McDonagh or John Carlson in him.

Even when we picked Lindholm, I was OK with picking Lindholm over Dumba (and even Trouba). My "LINDHOLM wha?" reaction was more with skipping over Forsberg and Grigorenko.

He was never a "do not draft" though. I still think he could play top pair a la Phaneuf, who I also dislike but I can still admit is a top pairing guy.
I still like Trouba a lot so I'm glad he went to Winnipeg

Old
12-14-2012, 09:28 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
This cut doesn`t take away his chance to become a top pairing guy, but i got your point and i agree.

In some years Dumba could be a better PPG player than Leeendhoolm, but Hampus will be clearly better overall defenseman imo. Judging by his play as a 18 yo - the numbers shouldn`t be low either.
Dumba is to flawed of a player if you ask me, he's wreckless, like I said, a mini Dion, and if Dion was his size he'd be a 4th defensemen probably

As for WJC, well Canada are clearly favorites, the Russians probably have a better roster than us to, but all it takes in this tournament is good goaltending and timely goals to win. that said i'd be surprised if we play for gold

Old
12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Corey Perry*

Man I hate Craig Button so much... Rielly was #4 on his top prospect list over Yakupov, Hamilton, Huberdeau, etc.

If Rielly's really that great, why was he the 5th overall pick in the draft? If he's a better prospect than Yakupov, why didn't Edmonton take him, when Rielly even plays a position of need for Edmonton? I guarantee he'd be much lower if he wasn't drafted by the Leafs.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Exit Dose

While I think it's dumb that he's ahead of some of those people, his injury last year hurt his draft position a bit. Similar deal with Galchenyuk.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Exit Dose

Lasch had a hat trick last night in Fort Wayne. He now has 10 points in 7 games.

Brittain has 20 points in 23 games(10+10).

If Lasch keeps it up I think he'll be back in Norfolk soon.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:06 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

And Caputi has 4+2 in 7 games.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Man I hate Craig Button so much... Rielly was #4 on his top prospect list over Yakupov, Hamilton, Huberdeau, etc.

If Rielly's really that great, why was he the 5th overall pick in the draft? If he's a better prospect than Yakupov, why didn't Edmonton take him, when Rielly even plays a position of need for Edmonton? I guarantee he'd be much lower if he wasn't drafted by the Leafs.
This post seems silly to me.

Had Rielly played his entire draft season, he very well could have challenged for that top spot. However, having only played 18 regular season games before his knee injury, very few scouts even got the opportunity to see him. Fortunately, the Leafs' brass did, and liked what they saw.

Your draft position does not define you as a player. Rielly was drafted 5th overall in JUNE. Between then and the publication of this list, he's played the Canada/Russia challenge, the Subway Series, the WJHC camp, and 30+ regular season games. That's a ton of games in which he can prove himself to be better than the players taken above him. Hell, Reinhart was taken 4th overall and didn't even make the top 30 list - where's the outrage there?

You seem to have taken issue with Rielly mainly being placed above Yakupov. It's definitely a debatable stance Button has taken, but what's not debatable is that the instances where these two have been on the ice at the same (the Can/Rus challenge and the Subway Series), Rielly has been flat out the better player. If you're asked to rank these 2 players, what better circumstances to use then when the two play against each other?

Moral of the story is it's ridiculous to think Rielly can't be a better player than Yakupov because he was taken a few spots after him in the draft 6 months ago, after only playing 18 games in his draft year. In reality, it's ridiculous to think ANY player can't be better than another based on their draft position. If that's your main argument, you don't have a leg to stand on unfortunately

Anyway, back on topic. I've got an interview with Admirals play-by-play guy Pete Michaud on the way. He'll be answering questions about guys like Etem, Vatanen, Palmieri, Holland etc and how he seems them progressing.

Should be ready to go in the next couple days. I'll post it here.

Last edited by maplehawk: 12-15-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Exit Dose

I agree that Rielly was better in the first game, but I'd say it's debatable about the second game. I thought Reinhart and Wotherspoon were the only defensemen that distinguished themselves in that game.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:21 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
I agree that Rielly was better in the first game, but I'd say it's debatable about the second game. I thought Reinhart and Wotherspoon were the only defensemen that distinguished themselves in that game.
In the Subway series you mean?

I'd agree Rielly was much better in game 1, besides the ridiculous double toe-drag rush in game 2, but the point was to compare he and Yakupov, and Yakupov was pretty invisible against the WHL.

Did you see the Can/Rus challenge in the summer by any chance? Rielly was much better than Yak in those 4 games as well.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
In the Subway series you mean?

I'd agree Rielly was much better in game 1, besides the ridiculous double toe-drag rush in game 2, but the point was to compare he and Yakupov, and Yakupov was pretty invisible against the WHL.

Did you see the Can/Rus challenge in the summer by any chance? Rielly was much better than Yak in those 4 games as well.
I did. I don't remember much of Yakupov in that series, but I wasn't focusing on him much. Murphy was the d-man that caught my eye the most. Rielly impressed me more in the SSS.

It's such a small sample size though that I have a hard time putting Rielly over Yakupov at this point. I'd have a better idea if Yak had stayed in Sarnia.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Exit Dose

Chris Peters confirms that Kerdiles won't be coming to U-20 camp. Anyone have a photo of Jones that would look great in an avatar?

Welinski scored a goal last night.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Chris Peters confirms that Kerdiles won't be coming to U-20 camp. Anyone have a photo of Jones that would look great in an avatar?

Welinski scored a goal last night.
I just can't understand that, he has 2G 3A in 6 games back, and as far as I know, Noesen can't play...it seems to me that team USA could really use Kerdiles right about now.

Closed Thread