HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

2012-2013 Anaheim Ducks Prospect Update

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
  #626
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust
 
TheJoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,425
vCash: 500
Palmieri only put in one year and that hasn't hurt him. What makes Roy any different? They're built the same and play a similar game.

TheJoeMan is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
  #627
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Palmieri only put in one year and that hasn't hurt him. What makes Roy any different? They're built the same and play a similar game.
First every player is not the same. Palmieri was signed early because Anaheim wanted to more closely watch over him as he got into a few social "issues" at Notre Dame.

Second if you think that Roy and Palmieri are built the same and play similar games then you haven't watched them play.

Roy may be listed at 5'10 but the kid is more like 5'7 and much thinner than Palmieri.

I'd ask you, what do you think the big gain is to signing him as opposed to allowing him to play another year in college? Do you think he will jump right into the NHL or do you just think it will be better for his development?

Professor John Frink is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
  #628
DuckTech
In vino veritas
 
DuckTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rural Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 50
I think what you have to ask is - Will Roy benefit from being promoted to the AHL or would he be better served spending time in college? I think it would do him some good dominating one more year in college then going to the A. I don't think he is really ready to go to the AHL, he may hold his own but at it would be at the cost of his confidence.

DuckTech is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:17 PM
  #629
Hockey Duckie
Registered User
 
Hockey Duckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: southern cal
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
First every player is not the same. Palmieri was signed early because Anaheim wanted to more closely watch over him as he got into a few social "issues" at Notre Dame.

Second if you think that Roy and Palmieri are built the same and play similar games then you haven't watched them play.
Odd. I was under the impression that ND didn't want Palms around so the org was forced to take him. (I don't know if he was allowed to go to the CHL once he has done NCAA, but I think that was another factor in that Palms had no where else to go.)

Hockey Duckie is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  #630
Hockey Duckie
Registered User
 
Hockey Duckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: southern cal
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
I think what you have to ask is - Will Roy benefit from being promoted to the AHL or would he be better served spending time in college? I think it would do him some good dominating one more year in college then going to the A. I don't think he is really ready to go to the AHL, he may hold his own but at it would be at the cost of his confidence.
I think we may have forgotten that both the staff and Roy believe he needs to stay in college to develop his body so he can withstand the rigors of the NHL game. Roy's scoring now, but I want to see that type of scoring consistency for more than one year. And should the Ducks not be in a rush for a scorer, then the Ducks have the luxury to wait for Roy not to continue to develop his offensive game, but possibly other aspects of this game that may make him even more serviceable.

Hockey Duckie is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
  #631
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust
 
TheJoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
First every player is not the same. Palmieri was signed early because Anaheim wanted to more closely watch over him as he got into a few social "issues" at Notre Dame.

Second if you think that Roy and Palmieri are built the same and play similar games then you haven't watched them play.

Roy may be listed at 5'10 but the kid is more like 5'7 and much thinner than Palmieri.

I'd ask you, what do you think the big gain is to signing him as opposed to allowing him to play another year in college? Do you think he will jump right into the NHL or do you just think it will be better for his development?
That's purely the speculation of over-thinking hockey fans. He wouldn't have been signed if they didn't feel he was ready for the next step. If it was solely because of his off-ice issues that he wasn't to stay at Notre Dame he would had played in Guelph. Fact is he was ready for pro hockey and Roy should be too.

Everyone acts like these players are made of glass and the pro game will break them. Teams would like their players to sign after two season from their draft unless they are exceptional. Since Roy was passed over his first year this is his second year and I feel he's on track with that. If this kid can't hack it as a 20 year-old he's not going to have much better luck as a 21 year-old. The only benefit to keep a kid in the NCAA is if his skating isn't strong enough yet and that isn't the case with Roy.

TheJoeMan is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 07:24 PM
  #632
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Not sure where you're getting that Roy is 5'7. He's listed at 5'10 on hockeydb.

AngelDuck is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 07:36 PM
  #633
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Not sure where you're getting that Roy is 5'7. He's listed at 5'10 on hockeydb.
Oh well if the internets tells you it must be true! Andy McDonald is also listed as 5'10 and he is not close to that.

I've stood right next to the guy. He isn't close to 5'10. Not that it matters greatly.

Professor John Frink is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
  #634
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
That's purely the speculation of over-thinking hockey fans. He wouldn't have been signed if they didn't feel he was ready for the next step. If it was solely because of his off-ice issues that he wasn't to stay at Notre Dame he would had played in Guelph. Fact is he was ready for pro hockey and Roy should be too.

Everyone acts like these players are made of glass and the pro game will break them. Teams would like their players to sign after two season from their draft unless they are exceptional. Since Roy was passed over his first year this is his second year and I feel he's on track with that. If this kid can't hack it as a 20 year-old he's not going to have much better luck as a 21 year-old. The only benefit to keep a kid in the NCAA is if his skating isn't strong enough yet and that isn't the case with Roy.
I'm not going to continue to go back and forth with you on this because we won't get anywhere. My thoughts on Palmieri and his signing isn't based on me over-thinking, it's based on articles I've read(which I will try and find and add in as an edit).

You make a lot of assumptions about people on these boards simply because we disagree with you. And my thoughts have nothing to do with his age, they have to do with watching the way he plays and knowing what it takes as a pro to play. Something I feel he is ready for offensively but not ready for physically.

Professor John Frink is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
  #635
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
Oh well if the internets tells you it must be true! Andy McDonald is also listed as 5'10 and he is not close to that.

I've stood right next to the guy. He isn't close to 5'10. Not that it matters greatly.
There is still a big difference between being 5'7 and not being 5'10. I don't believe he is even close to 5'7. Looks at least 5'9 to me. I mean if Vatanen is 5'10, then Roy is 5'9 all day

AngelDuck is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 08:25 PM
  #636
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,927
vCash: 500
Cramarossa picked up two more assists.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 08:26 PM
  #637
Hockey Duckie
Registered User
 
Hockey Duckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: southern cal
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
Oh well if the internets tells you it must be true! Andy McDonald is also listed as 5'10 and he is not close to that.

I've stood right next to the guy. He isn't close to 5'10. Not that it matters greatly.
Thick neck stared at me rather than stare me down when he overheard me telling my girlfriend at the time,"Andy's short!" aloud. You know one of those times when everyone's talking and the silence as you think other voices will hide what you're gonna say. Heh... suffice it to say I walked away from the line for getting signatures until Andy left. My girlfriend laughed hysterically all the way home. I stand only 5'7".

Hockey Duckie is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 12:06 AM
  #638
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
There is still a big difference between being 5'7 and not being 5'10. I don't believe he is even close to 5'7. Looks at least 5'9 to me. I mean if Vatanen is 5'10, then Roy is 5'9 all day
I'm telling you dude is 5'7. I've stood next to him.

I can't however speak for Vatanan, he looks just as small but I couldn't verify that either way.

When you say he looks 5'9 is that based on being near him or him relative to guys on TV?

Professor John Frink is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 12:08 AM
  #639
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Thick neck stared at me rather than stare me down when he overheard me telling my girlfriend at the time,"Andy's short!" aloud. You know one of those times when everyone's talking and the silence as you think other voices will hide what you're gonna say. Heh... suffice it to say I walked away from the line for getting signatures until Andy left. My girlfriend laughed hysterically all the way home. I stand only 5'7".
Thick neck! I love it.

So true. McDonald was rock solid. But the guy is not close to 5'10.

Professor John Frink is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
  #640
NUhockey
Roy So Hard
 
NUhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
I've stood next to Roy, he's about 5'9" in reality. He's gotten stronger since coming to Northeastern and handles contact relatively well.

While it makes a deal of sense for Roy to turn pro after this year, there are a few factors that may lead him to stay at Northeastern, despite the program still struggling through a transition period.

Roy still needs to work on the defensive aspect of his game. He's emerged as the offensive go-to guy, but should really balance that out before going pro.

Also, his brother Derick is a freshman goalie on the roster at Northeastern. While the two have had no problem being split up before, this may lead Kevin to stick around since Roy's arrival was certainly contingent on Derick coming. NU does need goaltending for next year and Derick is slated to be an active backup, meaning the package deal may not hold as much water. Derick is a quality goalie. In addition, his family values a college education highly, and he might be trying to get the most of his experience.

In short, Roy's game could use seasoning at the college level, and he plays in a competitive conference that will provide him good experience, major ice time, and an education. I'd say it's a 75% chance he stays at least another year.

NUhockey is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:07 AM
  #641
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,927
vCash: 500
Kerdiles, Wellinski, and Illo with goals. Roy with an assist. O'Brien with 5 hits.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
  #642
Carelton CA
Registered User
 
Carelton CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
PLEASE EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO ME!

What kind of system are we running in Norfolk where guys who have scored at all levels can not get shots, never mind goals in Norfolk. It is obviously way to restrictive. Can the coach free it up a bit or get a coach that can! 12 shots, that's just stupid and yes it's coaching.

Carelton CA is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:50 AM
  #643
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend
 
quentez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500

quentez is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:38 PM
  #644
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,927
vCash: 500
Cramarossa with 2 assists, again. Rakell with a goal and 2 assists. Helgesen had an assist in five of his last six games.

Looks like Gibson is still injured.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:09 AM
  #645
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Cramarossa with 2 assists, again. Rakell with a goal and 2 assists. Helgesen had an assist in five of his last six games.

Looks like Gibson is still injured.
I guess I missed seeing that. Do you have a link or any info?

Eddie Shack is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:45 AM
  #646
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,927
vCash: 500
No, but if memory serves it was a hip injury.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:56 AM
  #647
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,797
vCash: 500
Thanks.

Eddie Shack is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
  #648
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,762
vCash: 70
oh man. those +/- in the AHL lol. they look pretty horrendous

bumperkisser is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:54 PM
  #649
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend
 
quentez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Hugely impressive by Wagner though.

DSP...not so much.

quentez is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:56 PM
  #650
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,762
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Hugely impressive by Wagner though.

DSP...not so much.
i do think we rushed DSP last year tbh. he could've developed in juniors another year for his offensive abilities.

maybe he can still develop in the AHL i donno. i want him to be a great bottom 6 player with some offensive flair because I think he has that ability if he develops to his potential

bumperkisser is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.