Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Anaheim Ducks Prospect Update

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Ryan Murphy was the "most prominent" honorable mention. Having seen both Murphy and Lindholm play I have no doubt that Lindholm will be a significantly better player than Murphy at the professional level. It's insulting to Lindholm to be mentioned in the same article as him.

I do think Lindholm has a lot of untapped offensive potential and hope he's left in the AHL to develop his offensive game instead of being pulled up to the NHL too soon where he won't see any PP time.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Well, Lindholm at least gets mentioned in HF's honorable mentions for the top-50:
Sounds like they read the scouting report prior to the draft and left it at that. What kind of raw project is playing at a high level in the AHL as a 18/19 year old? I think he has some untapped offensive potential, but he looks to be quite close to NHL ready as a teenager.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Just look at top 50 prospect Tangradi who got in that list as soon as he went to Pitsburgh, IIRC.

He`s struggling with Jets now.

I don`t think anyone should take those lists serious

Old
04-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Well, Lindholm at least gets mentioned in HF's honorable mentions for the top-50:
Quote:
For Lindholm, there was debate over the type of overall potential the Swedish defenseman has as an NHL prospect. There is no question he can play in North America, as demonstrated by his solid play in the AHL as a 19-year-old, but many facets of his game are still very raw, and despite that readiness, he remains a project.
Well,it sounds like the Ducks were given no input to that evaluation. I didn't realize he was just a "project". No wonder the experts on our board have been clamoring for Sami. It's all very clear to me now.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:45 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I just can't take HF lists seriously to be honest

Old
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Well,it sounds like the Ducks were given no input to that evaluation. I didn't realize he was just a "project". No wonder the experts on our board have been clamoring for Sami. It's all very clear to me now.
Also, he's 'very raw'.

A few months back I heard an interview with one of his teammates and he said that everyone on the team has to remind themselves that Hampus is a 18 year-old rookie, and not one of the veterans.

I like how actual NHL scouts have him as the third best defenseman in the last draft, but somehow he's bringing up the rear on this list, even behind guys that he was ranked ahead of at the time of the draft.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

One interesting thing that came to me... when is a prospect "raw" and when is he "full of potential?" Is it when they're lacking on offense it's raw and when they're lacking on defense it's full of potential?

I don't blame them. Lindholm has pretty sucky stats. The AHL is not a heavily watched league, especially compared to juniors. By stat-watching, Vatanen is having a much more impressive season than Lindholm. And being a smaller Western, American team, we don't get a lot of media coverage (especially during like WJCs and stuff). People have to watch Lindholm nightly (not even occasionally) to be impressed by him.

But one thing to consider when talking about how impressive he has been in the A. Just my impression, but I get the sense that players who do go to the A early tend to not pan out. The last one that comes to mind is Bergfors.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Exit Dose

Voynov went to the A straight from the draft, and that's not even taking into account all the European players that are spending time in comparable or better leagues at similar ages or even younger. There are also the players that went straight to the NHL.

I honestly fail to see how even occasional viewing would lead to the 'project' tag. That sounds like the assessment of someone that is equating results in lower leagues as being close enough to parity with higher league to be significant. And it's not just with the AHL that you see this on this site. I think it's evident in the Division I and European scouting, too.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:49 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Who cares? We know how good Lindholm is and how bright his future is with this team. These lists don't effect our prospects one way or the other. Norfolk's season ends a week before ours and if they miss the playoffs we could very well see Lindholm in an Anaheim jersey by season's end provided we're in a position of meaningless games.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Voynov went to the A straight from the draft, and that's not even taking into account all the European players that are spending time in comparable or better leagues at similar ages or even younger. There are also the players that went straight to the NHL.

I honestly fail to see how even occasional viewing would lead to the 'project' tag. That sounds like the assessment of someone that is equating results in lower leagues as being close enough to parity with higher league to be significant. And it's not just with the AHL that you see this on this site. I think it's evident in the Division I and European scouting, too.
Well that's the thing. Europeans seem to historically have done better staying in their leagues and then going to NHL. Or just going to NHL. It's a pretty small subset, but I'm just saying the success rate didn't seem to be great for Europeans playing in the AHL. But admittedly this is not causation and just correlation.

But Voynov is a good example. Speaking of him and my not knowing Kings' players first names... when did he change his name to Slava? I always thought of him as Vyaclasj;fdjfkasdjklf Voynov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Who cares? We know how good Lindholm is and how bright his future is with this team. These lists don't effect our prospects one way or the other. Norfolk's season ends a week before ours and if they miss the playoffs we could very well see Lindholm in an Anaheim jersey by season's end provided we're in a position of meaningless games.
Well we shouldn't care. But some people do anyways. At least it's something to discuss.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Hockey Duckie

I think they're simply stat watching. Heck, if you read the game recaps from Norfolk, then you will notice (or rather not notice) that Lindholm's name rarely in highlighted. But on the stat sheet you'll see a +1 in the plus/minus rating in the box score with no points. So I guess they're scoring stat watching.

Add to that it's not being watched as often as juniors.

Once Lindholm makes the team next year, a lot of publications will say Lindholm came out of nowwhere to make the team. Yet, in reality, this kid's been good even before we drafted him, but rarely gets acclaim via highlight reels to be placed in the forefront.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
We're just having a discussion. I don't think anyone here thinks that the rankings mean anything. The only annoyance that comes out of it is when dealing with other fans that use the articles here as their reference point, which admittedly is a minor one.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Well that's the thing. Europeans seem to historically have done better staying in their leagues and then going to NHL. Or just going to NHL. It's a pretty small subset, but I'm just saying the success rate didn't seem to be great for Europeans playing in the AHL. But admittedly this is not causation and just correlation.
I'm not sure that I'd say that it's a meaningful correlation due to age of participation. It might be, but I haven't seen any research that shows that as the cause.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

(of course its Palmieri who's a scratch, not DSP).

Old
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
What I don't get is how is Dumba any less of a project than Lindholm? You want to talk about raw, your first name on that list should be Dumba.

04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
What I don't get is how is Dumba any less of a project than Lindholm? You want to talk about raw, your first name on that list should be Dumba.
Passport.

edit: also CHL.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Yeah, you're probably right. Bleh.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Thanks, quentez, nice job

So many players to get excited about.

Crammy fight last week:

Old
04-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Have you seen where he's ranked relative to Trouba?

Old
04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

They call him raw because that's what some public scouting reports said prior to the draft. Lindholm kind of came out of nowhere in his draft year, in a lesser league to boot, so the raw tag came with it. Then he was drafted much higher than expected, so "he's a project". Rather than collect some info on how he's done since the draft, the bright minds at HF just decided to roll with it.

That's my theory, anyway. How else does an 18 year old jump to the AHL and play well, yet is still called a project?

Old
04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Have you seen where he's ranked relative to Trouba?
That brings up an interesting thing to consider.

On one hand I would say "passport" again. But Trouba is a prospect of a Canadian team. Maybe that's balanced out by the fact that he plays in NCAA?

Old
04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Exit Dose

Possibly, but I think you may have to factor in the size of the market.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right. Bleh.
Agreed

Old
04-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quentez, thanks so very much!

Just looking at those stats, Friberg seems like he only excels in high profile type games/series. Or is he being put in a better situation such as promoted to the first line?

Old
04-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Exit Dose

Remember that for his age those numbers are pretty good at that level.

Closed Thread