HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

THN: The Best of Hockey History (magazine edition)

Old
10-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
THN: The Best of Hockey History (magazine edition)

Anyone read through this? Recently released special version magazine by The Hockey News.

It seems to have a theme of stuff like equipment, artifacts, and other objects involved in hockey as it goes through each era of hockey history. Now it's not a book but I still love this type of thing because it covers hockey history on a large scale and does a brief on each year in hockey. The majority of hockey books don't seem to do this unfortunately and focus on one era or one aspect. It is just a magazine but not bad. THN need to release a new top 100 players list even if it covers just the modern era.

Btw they ranked the Pittsburgh Pioneers as the worst team ever.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:14 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

I got it as well, was a decent read. Also liked they posted old articles of the magazine from years gone by.

10-30-2012, 09:38 AM
seventieslord

I have had it for a week, but haven't bothered to open it. 5 years ago I'd have been all over this. Today, I worry that I'll spend 5 hours of my life reading it and not learning anything I don't already know. I'll eventually get around to it though, so I hope I'm wrong.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I have had it for a week, but haven't bothered to open it. 5 years ago I'd have been all over this. Today, I worry that I'll spend 5 hours of my life reading it and not learning anything I don't already know. I'll eventually get around to it though, so I hope I'm wrong.
I don't know much of this since I started watching hockey in 96 so very nice to have a bit of a mini encyclopedia like that

They also have done something similar in an issue called "60 moments that changed the game" gonna try to see if that issue's available online somewhere cos it's from 2007.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:26 PM
GummoMarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
My thoughts were exactly the same until I opened it up. Lots of tidbits that I had either not known, or were lost/pushed out of my hockey mind, especially a lot of original THN articles stretching back the last 65 years.

GummoMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Habsfan18

It's not bad, but I didn't like the fact that they just recycled the top 3 stories for each season from their 1999 magazine/book "Century Of Hockey." They were copied and pasted, word for word.

10-31-2012, 01:35 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I don't know much of this since I started watching hockey in 96 so very nice to have a bit of a mini encyclopedia like that

They also have done something similar in an issue called "60 moments that changed the game" gonna try to see if that issue's available online somewhere cos it's from 2007.
Ahh, I remember that one fondly. Read it on the Amtrak train on my 48-hour ride to NYC, where I got engaged in October of 2007.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote