Old
11-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I take it you applied for EVERYTHING?
It was for one company. Interviewed with two VP's, potential supervisor, talent acquisition, and another guy who seemed to be a human lie detector.

I think I impressed both VP's and had good rapport. It's always a little tricky with the supervisors and peers since they always seem to be mousy women who read the job description to me for half an hour rather than talk.

The other guy was interesting...basically hit me with questions about my tech knowledge and experience faster than I could answer them and kept cutting me off. He wanted to see if I had the actual experience I listed on my resume (of course I do).

The other interesting thing was that they are looking for basically a COGNOS systems administrator with 10+ years of experience, but they haven't found anyone, and might be interested in hiring someone with IT/IS background or education and training them into the job over six months. That would be a pretty drastically different career path, but it could nearly double my earnings and put me in pretty high demand.

So, fingers crossed I hear something back from them.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
That'd be the sweeetz.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:37 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The other guy was interesting...basically hit me with questions about my tech knowledge and experience faster than I could answer them and kept cutting me off. He wanted to see if I had the actual experience I listed on my resume (of course I do).
This was the human lie detector? Yeah, that is one of the tricks that I pull when I interview someone. It tells me two things; First, do they actually know what they say they know and second, how do they handle a bit of aggression in the work place.

In the last four years, I only interviewed one guy that passed both tests. This was the guy I wanted to hire, but my boss felt very threatened by him which led me to find out that my boss feels threatened by me.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:46 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
The other interesting thing was that they are looking for basically a COGNOS systems administrator with 10+ years of experience
Wait, wut?

Before they switched to full on BI in 2007, all Cognos was, functionality-wise, was mostly just LAN monitoring of traffic. If I remember correctly, it wasn't until they acquired Applix (?) in the summer of 2007 and fully integrated themselves with that web UI, that they became actually applicable to the BI industry.

So maybe they need to take a step back and "lie detector" their own requirement?

Now, if it was just ten plus years of BI, then I would have to sit back and ask them to define pre-2008 Business Intelligence and throw it back into their laps. Before Cognos/Hyperion/Actuate/etc really started refining that space, BI was mostly being performed in excel/access and maybe highly detailed SQL reports.

/shrug

Old
11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That was my take. Ask quick technical questions to see if they are BS'ing about their experience as well as see how they think under pressure and your general IQ. I feel like I did fairly well trying to answer the questions thoroughly without unnecessary detail (keeping it relevant).

My calling it a COGNOS systems admin is just my guess at the position, not the title. I think it's an FP&A manager. They want someone to take care of the BI data and work with the users for modeling and analysis. He was pretty vague, but said they originally wanted someone with 10+ years of experience including COGNOS, but they haven't found anyone so are considering bringing in someone to train them on the job.

Is that pretty close to what you do Boz? What's your take on that?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
It tells me two things; First, do they actually know what they say they know and second, how do they handle a bit of aggression in the work place.
How are you supposed to handle aggression in the workplace?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Calmly. And with your fists.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:21 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
That was my take. Ask quick technical questions to see if they are BS'ing about their experience as well as see how they think under pressure and your general IQ. I feel like I did fairly well trying to answer the questions thoroughly without unnecessary detail (keeping it relevant).

My calling it a COGNOS systems admin is just my guess at the position, not the title. I think it's an FP&A manager. They want someone to take care of the BI data and work with the users for modeling and analysis. He was pretty vague, but said they originally wanted someone with 10+ years of experience including COGNOS, but they haven't found anyone so are considering bringing in someone to train them on the job.

Is that pretty close to what you do Boz? What's your take on that?
It isn’t what I do, but it is something that I’ve had a lot of experience in doing.

At CWT, I was the lead systems analyst for the BI team. Basically, what I was doing when I wasn’t designing functionality for the data warehouse UI and the BI UI, was laying the groundwork for the setup of the Actuate Data Sets to KPI tables. I fought the major battles then about how it is much better to set up very granular KPI tables rather than try to shunt the entire dataset into it. The basic structure should be; DWdb -> DataSetdb -> KPI Tables. The charts and metrics and dials and such are all based on the KPIs and in a large data environment, the Data Warehouse is updated from the various sub-systems on a 24 hour batch process, and the Data Sets are updated on an 8 hour scheduled batch, and the KPIs are refreshed at the same time.

In a large data environment, that is about the most “real time” business intelligence can get.

CWT was dealing with 120 source systems, in 175 different countries, which fed into 1 data warehouse from which we were filtering into about 2000 different KPIs for the BI team. Sum total per day was something like 200k to 500k separate transactions, world wide.

My “legacy” at CWT wasn’t this aspect, though… My legacy was designing the functionality which was dropped onto each source systems ETL process in Informatica. This UI based feature allowed the business leads for each division (source system) to go in and create complex if/then/else/goto custom scripts to analyze and transform data based on their “Reason Codes”. It was as close to doing programmatic artificial intelligence as I’ve seen, yet, but so far away.

My take on what they are looking for is someone that has that level of experience, focused primarily on running with and taking off with the entire BI world at their disposal. Real Business Intelligence expertise is relatively rare in the industry as a whole and I do not doubt that they have trouble finding someone to meet their expectations. Those people are held onto something fierce where I have seen even the remotest threat of leaving rewarded with a major salary bump.

It is a role that a large data environment would be crippled if their primary SME on the BI system were to suddenly be hit by a bus.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:22 AM
HobeyBroten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post

Old
11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
If you don’t work in IT, it is hard to explain.

However, the caricature which is Dilbert is normally accurate, but yet hyperbole.

My current place of employment has a very histrionic software architect. In other words, he throws temper tantrums if he doesn’t get his way and if you tell him that what he wants to do is just plain dumb, he blows a gasket.

Example; He wanted to do real time refreshes off of a database that was already experiencing heavy load, which would impact system performance across the board, massive system slowdowns for systems which are already affected by the slightest change in temperature, let alone another massive query.

I asked him “Why?” Why real time? What is the need? What is the point? Do you really need this data real time or is this another pie in the sky ideal that he had? He couldn’t answer sufficiently, so I over-rode him. He got pissed and took it to my boss, who took my side and was flabbergasted that the SA wanted to add load to an over-loaded system.

He went back to his cube and started throwing things. Yelling things like; “WHY AM I CALLED THE ARCHITECT IF I AM OVER-RULED BY THE ANALYST??!” I told him, calmly, to “Go. Home.”

So to answer your question; Calmly. Reacting with aggression, with aggression will get YOU fired, not the other guy.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:

Old
11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When you're in charge of the systems and the systems go down, you're going to be the most popular (and hated/loved) person in the company. Nobody can use the systems and if that's what they need to work, then they have nothing to do. It's red alert until you fix it.

Basically, are you smart enough to think and respond clearly under pressure?

The guy I interviewed with looked like the older Bob from Office Space. He described it as "wicked high" earning potential.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
When you're in charge of the systems and the systems go down, you're going to be the most popular (and hated/loved) person in the company. Nobody can use the systems and if that's what they need to work, then they have nothing to do. It's red alert until you fix it.

Basically, are you smart enough to think and respond clearly under pressure?

The guy I interviewed with looked like the older Bob from Office Space. He described it as "wicked high" earning potential.
Bolded for emphasis...

Yeah, I made an earlier post saying the same thing. BI experts in IT do have wicked high earning potentials. Anyone that is comfortable with and in a large data environment and even knows what the heck a KPI actually is will have a comfortable life.

I am not technically in the BI realm right now, primarily because I prefer being the “solutions architect”. My problem solving skills get a little bored with straight data work as I need complex problems to solve to be a “happy” employee. My biggest fault is that if I don’t have problems to solve, I turn into a cantankerous *******. Sure, in reality that may be who I am 100% of the time, but if I have problems to solve, that is masked.

My fun little side project is putting a proposal together for a revenue generation tool for our already very successful division. I spent most of last week putting together custom Visio stencils together so that I could fully map out a paper prototype for this tool and put it in the proposal. Nothing like seeing something brand new, fully fleshed out, when the proposal is asking for a half a million in new spend for fiscal 2013…

Old
11-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Wow. This has been eye-opening. I thought temper tantrums...were...helping save the world. Kind of like Dikembe Mutombo. HELP DIKEMBE SAVE THE WORLD.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well, drafted up four thank you e-mails (fifth guy did not leave his information). Here goes nothing.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Wow. This has been eye-opening. I thought temper tantrums...were...helping save the world. Kind of like Dikembe Mutombo. HELP DIKEMBE SAVE THE WORLD.
What in the Tim & Eric hell?

Ha. Wow.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Yea. Pretty sweet game. Those blondes be Hottttt.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
ewoksonhoth
Pimpin' ain't Parise

vCash: 155
Quote:
For a second I thought that was going to be a link to KONY...

Old
11-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Heck no. I wouldn't play you like that.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Bill Murray was awesome, as always in the Jam.
And he wears a St. Paul Saints hat in the movie since he owned (might still own, I'm not sure) a stake in the team.

/small slice of "one of us" Minnesotan history

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeyBroten View Post

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
11-27-2012, 10:40 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Murray still owns part of the Saints. I saw him at a game 2 years ago.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

So I got sent aviators by Marlboro for my birthday, which is surprising since a) I don't smoke and b) it's not even close to my birthday. It's like cigarettes are telling me something from the future.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

You're missing the point. free aviators.

Closed Thread