Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General OT Thread #23: It's Not Even Fehr

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
AngryManBearPig

vCash: 500
I no longer bother with JMS, the way it was being run I no longer had interest. I originally started out with JMS, level 1 now level 5, oh good for me when I first got into hockey a few years back and it was great for someone starting out so I can see how it would fit the bill for newer skaters just wanting to try out the sport without committing to a whole season.

I have also played in the HockeyFinder league on wednesday nights and although I enjoyed it more for the fact that it was an actual league. There are a few goons that were skating in the Upper Level running around looking for fights which was a turn off as well.

IMO if you can find a group of guys or gals that skate the same time every week just stick with that.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

No raising your voice in the OT threads.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Big ball hockey game tonight !!

Playing the team that out classed us 7-0 a few weeks back !

Playoff implications !

Need a win wish me luck !

Old
11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Big ball hockey game tonight !!

Playing the team that out classed us 7-0 a few weeks back !

Playoff implications !

Need a win wish me luck !
Good luck man

Old
11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Good luck man
Thanks man ! I'll you know how it goes !

Old
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryManBearPig View Post
I no longer bother with JMS, the way it was being run I no longer had interest. I originally started out with JMS, level 1 now level 5, oh good for me when I first got into hockey a few years back and it was great for someone starting out so I can see how it would fit the bill for newer skaters just wanting to try out the sport without committing to a whole season.

I have also played in the HockeyFinder league on wednesday nights and although I enjoyed it more for the fact that it was an actual league. There are a few goons that were skating in the Upper Level running around looking for fights which was a turn off as well.

IMO if you can find a group of guys or gals that skate the same time every week just stick with that.
That is where I am at, basically. While I am not progressing as fast as I want to due to my disability, I am still above where I ever thought I could get to...

JMS was great to get started. However, I cannot get a single captain to pay enough attention to me to move me up a level. The sessions last spring, i was already the fastest skater in the level 1 games, i already knew the positions, and could carry the puck.

Then, for the spring league through Hockey Finder, I started skating more and more, including going through the novice skills clinic up at the Super Rink. That helped me learn what I needed to work on, but didn't really help me build the skills during the sessions. Tad is a bit fast in his explanations and just expects you to get it right away.

For the summer, I was captaining the Hockey Finder equivalent of a "level 2" or a lower level community skate. In doing this, i basically helped a D2 team organize their weekly scrimmages. They would all sign up on one side and I would get people together for the other side. Frankly, that was an awesome learning experience.

Fall league through Hockey Finder started and due to my health, I felt like I had a couple of really bad games. Then, after sort of getting on the soap box about how we needed to have our better skaters on D, I ended up on D. The goal was to pair someone that was a "slower skater" with someone much faster. Yeah, it isn't the glamour of a forward or an offensive D-man, but that game, I was the Greg Zanon of our side. I think I blocked like four or five rather strong shots, stripped the puck away from their forwards constantly and spent the majority of the time looking for forwards to pass the puck to. When they weren't available, I would bank it off the wall so that it would either go in on goal, or not enough juice on it for an icing.

Then... Something clicked. I don't know if you guys have had that experience or not, but one of the 2-3 level pick up games, I suddenly realized that I wasn't actually having to tell my feet what to do.

(side note; i have a degenerative muscle disease where I have to consciously tell my muscles what to do...)

Then, the next league night, I started being able to skate backwards with confidence, but not true speed, shifted and turned directions pretty cleanly. Sure, I am still not the fastest skater nor the most skilled, but I'm more *confident*.

The hockey finder lower level community game at the X? I felt like I could keep up with most everyone out there. I made a damned nice pass from the boards, through the legs and skates of three opponents, right onto the tape of one of my teammates. Shocked the hell out of him and he whiffed on the shot. Then, very next shift, I did the same thing to the same guy and he buried it.

So then, i thought... may as well go to the level 1 JMS skate and ask to be eval'd up. I did. I went. The captain was a normal Level 3 guy. He rushed the puck up himself 6 times. I was on the ice against him 4 of those times. I kept up with him and paced him and pushed him to the outside every single time. Out of those 4, I took the puck from him twice, even.

So after the game, i asked if he could move me up to Level 2.

His response; "I'm sorry, I wasn't watching you..."

W. T. F.

A friend of mine, also wanting to move up to level 2, said; "Dude, he was the only one that kept up with you all night!" The captain was like... "Oh. Still, I can't move you up yet, I have to watch you again."

I can either go to a Hockey Finder levels 2-3 game, feel like I'm one of the slower skaters, but be challenged the entire game... Or I can go back to the JMS Level 1 game and be bored stiff and feel bad when *I* can dangle around the noobs?

Tough call.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Also, if you want shoot me a PM with the details or send a Tweet and I'll retweet it to my advertising drones that follow me
The links are up in the original post that Barb deleted.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:26 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Lost 5-1... One more guy quit... Wouldn't shake hands with anyone.. Unbelievable how immature some guys are.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Well, what's the average age?

Old
11-02-2012, 12:10 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well, what's the average age?
It's boosted by a guy who's 45 I think...

Ugh maybe 22, probably 21. The guy who quit is 20.

We're a young team playing against older teams...

It's pay to play and we have 3 games left, but still see it through.

The guy has been kicked off teams before, I didn't know it at the time, and he wasn't being invited back for the winter season anyway.. He's a really bad teammate..

Old
11-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Wild Onion is a pretty good deal if it's your birthday....free drinks all night. But poor service and rude waitresses make it tough.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:04 AM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Hey all!

Moving to Minneapolis in one week, from Maine. Just got a new job, and I'm looking forward to the move!

My sister's been in Minneapolis since May, and I've been out to visit a few times, but only for a day or two at a time. I'm excited to get settled and get to know the Twin Cities!

I've got a place on the Hiawatha Line, about 10 minutes from downtown. Hopefully we have hockey soon because I'd love to see a game at the X!

Old
11-02-2012, 03:19 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBruins231 View Post
Hey all!

Moving to Minneapolis in one week, from Maine. Just got a new job, and I'm looking forward to the move!

My sister's been in Minneapolis since May, and I've been out to visit a few times, but only for a day or two at a time. I'm excited to get settled and get to know the Twin Cities!

I've got a place on the Hiawatha Line, about 10 minutes from downtown. Hopefully we have hockey soon because I'd love to see a game at the X!
Welcome to the Land of 10 billion mosquitoes!

Old
11-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Hey all!

Nice, welcome! You're just in time for winter, but then again I suppose Maine isn't much better.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:17 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Hey all!

when you land and drop off your luggage at home, walk your ass to ceder and e35th st and get your self the best burger you will ever eat.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 0
So I need to get a new keyboard sometime in the near future.

The left shift key on my keyboard started being really stiff, so I pulled it off to try to adjust some things and ended up doing more harm than good, so now that key is pretty much unuseable.

In the mean time I have switched to my spare keyboard, which is missing one of the supports that allows it to tilt up a little bit. I have jammed an empty dental floss container under that side of the keyboard and it works...as long as I dont move the thing.

Does anyone know if anyone still makes PS/2 only keyboards anymore? Or is it all USB or USB with a PS/2 Adapter? I absolutely require the N-Key rollover that only a PS/2 KB can provide.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Hey all!

Bring lobster!!!

Old
11-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did my part Boz. Start a thread over at The Rink. I know one guy was looking for a team through AHA, about a JMS L3 skater.

I enjoyed my JMS skates back when I knew all the captains. There was no BS, just a good friendly skate. Did some double headers, played L4...now I can barely keep up with L3 as the talent has trickled down.

And I've skipped a handshake line a few times. Usually when teams were gooning it up and running me all night and/or trying to start fights with me. Might have left once due to injury as well.

Quote:
Hey all!

Pull up a chair and stick around! We've got a pretty good group.

I don't know how much you know about the metro, but check this thread for stuff to do around here. Do you play hockey at all?

Old
11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Chrome/Canary still just a memory dump, back to Firefox for now. Feels strange. Colors on the site are darker and I'm missing my awesome row of e-mail/social network app buttons. Feels like Firefox is in the dark ages as they offer "toolbars" for everything...

Old
11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1124
Quote:
Hey all!

Welcome to the State of Hockey!

Old
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
ewoksonhoth
Most People are DJ's

Quote:
Hey all!

Welcome to the state of hockey bud, it's a pretty sweet place to be. I mean if this guy thinks it's cool, it must be

Old
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Need to invest in a second pair of jeans...which means going to the mall and spending money. Ugh.

Does anyone know a good place to buy used clothes? Looking for some halfway decent sweaters or sweatshirts.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

^consignment shops usually have some nice gently worn mens stuff. otherwise goodwill it up.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 394
I noticed.. the GDT: 3/3/10 is so holy to me, that I dare not to touch it. It's something that I only admire from distance, or sometimes take a closer look. But can't write anything. So I wrote here. That I can't write anything there...

Old
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Pull up a chair and stick around! We've got a pretty good group.
Do you play hockey at all?
Thanks for the welcomes everyone! And yes, I won't have too much trouble adjusting to weather/mosquitoes since I've lived in Maine all my life. It's a bit different, but not substantially so.

I am 25...and I haven't played hockey since 8th grade. I miss it, a lot, and will hopefully be getting back into it. I've been skating a bit more the past few years, but still probably need a year of consistent skating before even considering playing again.

Closed Thread