HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frank Corrado named OHL Player of the Week

Old
10-30-2012, 01:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
As much as people here like to fantasize about it, this almost never happens, for a player to come straight out of junior and make an impact. Think about how many players get drafted every year and how many actually do much of anything right out of juniors.

We've predicted the same thing for all of our past prospects and it's never materialized. (Hodgson? Schroeder?)
Usually because despite our prospects showing they could be ready we still send them down anyways. How about we take a different approach and if a prospect looks like he could play at this level we give him a chance?

10-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Well our Ontario scouts can't keep on firing blanks can they? I mean, their not like our Western Canada scouts.....

I feel comfortable with the scouts going to the OHL. Jensen, Hodgson, Gaunce and now maybe Corrado. They seem to know what they're doing over there.

That said, I don't understand excluding the WHL altogether. Or some european leagues. They are either going OHL or the Q, with some college guys to see their progression before they are signed.

To contrast, a team like COL tends to go F from the OHL, and D from the WHL. Just from a cursory look... Every team has its pattern it seems.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I feel comfortable with the scouts going to the OHL. Jensen, Hodgson, Gaunce and now maybe Corrado. They seem to know what they're doing over there.

That said, I don't understand excluding the WHL altogether. Or some european leagues. They are either going OHL or the Q, with some college guys to see their progression before they are signed.

To contrast, a team like COL tends to go F from the OHL, and D from the WHL. Just from a cursory look... Every team has its pattern it seems.
I now it's an often used excuse, but it does seem to be the answer in this case:

A shame really as I was a fairly big fan of him - as a player - during those sad sack Canuck teams of the early 80s....

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Kesler is Bestler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendini View Post
Well, he is in his 4th season of juniors. Let's see how he does in the AHL before we crown him. I'm still thinking Connaughton will be awsome.
Yeah really. Connauton was lighting up the WHL, even more so than Corrado.

Kesler is Bestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
cooker24

Quote:
Well, he is in his 4th season of juniors. Let's see how he does in the AHL before we crown him. I'm still thinking Connaughton will be awsome.
If people want to crown him, then crown him, but he is the prospect who people think he is!

cooker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
Yeah really. Connauton was lighting up the WHL, even more so than Corrado.
Shall we try & compare their defensive play though?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
blendini

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker24 View Post
If people want to crown him, then crown him, but he is the prospect who people think he is!
Fine by me. I still think he has a lot more to prove before he is 'anointed' as the best d prospect.

blendini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Usually because despite our prospects showing they could be ready we still send them down anyways.
Who did that happen with?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Fine by me. I still think he has a lot more to prove before he is 'anointed' as the best d prospect.
With our lack of D prospects there really isn't much to prove. Corrado is the only one of our prospects that doesn't have an obvious weakness (other than adding muscle to his frame as he gets older but that goes for most kids).

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:15 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Usually because despite our prospects showing they could be ready we still send them down anyways. How about we take a different approach and if a prospect looks like he could play at this level we give him a chance?
How many of our prospects have ever made the jump straight from juniors to the NHL or have showed that they could? I'm just saying we shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves with counting on our prospects to have an impact when they have a very small sample size of professional games. I'm not saying guys like Jensen and Corrado definitely arent ready to make the jump to the NHL, I'm just not so sure how some of you can be confident about it when the CHL and even the AHL game is so different from the NHL game.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
How many of our prospects have ever made the jump straight from juniors to the NHL or have showed that they could? I'm just saying we shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves with counting on our prospects to have an impact when they have a very small sample size of professional games. I'm not saying guys like Jensen and Corrado definitely arent ready to make the jump to the NHL, I'm just not so sure how some of you can be confident about it when the CHL and even the AHL game is so different from the NHL game.
I'd be confident about it if the cap drops next year. We might not have much of a choice but to fill the empty roster spots with wolf pups.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:22 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
Quote:
if a prospect looks like he could play at this level we give him a chance?
Cause then he will end up on the fourth line and you will call him nothing more than a 4th liner all summer long (and I'm not referring to Corrado)

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:23 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
I'd be confident about it if the cap drops next year. We might not have much of a choice but to fill the empty roster spots with wolf pups.
Having no choice but to put them in the lineup is different than putting them in the lineup believing that they can make an impact.

The argument is that they're ready based on their play. And I'm not so sure they'd be a better option than veteran NHL journeymen anyways

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
Having no choice but to put them in the lineup is different than putting them in the lineup believing that they can make an impact.

The argument is that they're ready based on their play. And I'm not so sure they'd be a better option than veteran NHL journeymen anyways
my point is that the canucks tend to favour a veteran player over a rookie(which is understandable given our desire to win now). For a rookie to make this team they have to significantly outplay the competition. Not neccessarily a bad way to do things, but even if a rookie plays as good, or slightly better than a veteran in camp they get sent down anyways. If the cap drops by a significant amount the table shifts to be more favorable to ELC rookies who have good camps to win jobs. If the team wants to sign Er.. Edler, but needs to move Ballard, wouldn't you move Ballard...oh wait this feels like deja vu.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
my point is that the canucks tend to favour a veteran player over a rookie(which is understandable given our desire to win now). For a rookie to make this team they have to significantly outplay the competition. Not neccessarily a bad way to do things, but even if a rookie plays as good, or slightly better than a veteran in camp they get sent down anyways. If the cap drops by a significant amount the table shifts to be more favorable to ELC rookies who have good camps to win jobs. If the team wants to sign Er.. Edler, but needs to move Ballard, wouldn't you move Ballard...oh wait this feels like deja vu.
I'm not so sure about sending guys down that clearly showed they were "ready from prime time". IMHO, forgetting about 4th liner spots...Bieksa was really maybe the only guy that was sent back to Manitoba in favour of using "veterans" in a spot that I can think of.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker24 View Post
..and we let him off the hook!

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
There is? He's currently a Top 3-5 D in the OHL. His play is what should be used to judge him, not his draft position. He has outplayed guys like Murphy and Harrington this year.
Draft position means nothing after about 1 year you might as well forget about it. Corrado taking top spot just reminded me how little there is below him, I guess that happens when you don't draft a lot of D men and you are picking late 20s a lot.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think you're underrating his offensive play this year. His team has scored 43 goals and Leivo is the only other forward at PPG (tied with Corrado for points). The second highest scoring D-man is at 3 points. Corrado is not just sustaining the attack, he's a key part of it.
If you say, you've likely watched him more than I. Just trying to avoid getting overly optimistic. I'd really love to see him keep this pace up.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote