HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Datsyuk? Come on now
I said he plays like, not he will be like.

Sven plays a remarkable two way game, with dazzling handles and a great shot.

The guy is incredible, and I predict him to be a top 10 player in the NHL within the next 5 years.

I have him ahead of guys like eberle and hall, but behind guys like RNH and eventually yakupov which imo is gonna be a stud.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but Cody Hodgson is out wih a broken hand. Uncertain when he returns.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409097

Old
11-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but Cody Hodgson is out wih a broken hand. Uncertain when he returns.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409097
He's on pace to "break" Salos career. What number is that 10?

Old
11-10-2012, 06:16 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
What do you think about Rodin? There doesn't seem to be any conversion in his game. At least, not yet. He plays well, from time to time, but doesn't get on the board... I'm not sure why?

He's got the speed, the hands, the shot, the vision, the shifty moves and even the board work, but he's going nowhere... and I just don't understand it. Could the ice surface adjustment really be that daunting? Granted, he could use more time in the gym. It looks like he didn't even gain weight to me. The shoulder problems don't help either. Even so, I was expecting more from him.

Right now I'm just wondering what kind of niche he can carve in the NHL. Bottom 6 guys play with much more jam. Top 6 guys convert. He's got a long way to go and I'm not sure if he will ever get there.
It's a weird case. Generally I don't think he's the kind of guy to float around out there as he does battle along the boards, but perhaps he's just not doing enough of the 'right' things to have success? i.e playing a simple game when it's called for, like consistently going to the front of the net and just plain shooting the puck more often. Hell we saw him get 7 shots on net after being scratched previously so perhaps it's those little things that he's not doing with consistency.

I'm not even sure where his two-way game is at right now, but from what I've read in this thread so far it sounds like he needs quite some work in his own end if he's going to even become a role player at the next level.

And of course, him not being able to work out for 2 offseasons doesn't help matters either. I'd hoped he could bulk up a little more this summer but it is what it is...

Old
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
He's on pace to "break" Salos career. What number is that 10?
Here is what I remember:

Back Strain x2
Nerve Damage(Leg)
Broken Toe
Broken Orbital Bone
(May have been injured against Ottawa from that big hit.)
Broken Hand

Old
11-10-2012, 06:48 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Probably the reason I won't be going back to watch a game there ever again. Oh and don't make the mistake of not bringing a credit card or lots of cash, your night gets about 10x worse otherwise.
I agree on the parking but having funds available is kind of a no brainer for going anywhere isn't it?

Old
11-10-2012, 08:27 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I agree on the parking but having funds available is kind of a no brainer for going anywhere isn't it?
Did I say I didn't have funds? I just brought the wrong kind(debit card).

Old
11-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I said he plays like, not he will be like.

Sven plays a remarkable two way game, with dazzling handles and a great shot.

The guy is incredible, and I predict him to be a top 10 player in the NHL within the next 5 years.

I have him ahead of guys like eberle and hall, but behind guys like RNH and eventually yakupov which imo is gonna be a stud.
He does look like Datsyuk a bit

Nice pick by the flamers.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:49 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It's a weird case. Generally I don't think he's the kind of guy to float around out there as he does battle along the boards, but perhaps he's just not doing enough of the 'right' things to have success? i.e playing a simple game when it's called for, like consistently going to the front of the net and just plain shooting the puck more often. Hell we saw him get 7 shots on net after being scratched previously so perhaps it's those little things that he's not doing with consistency.

I'm not even sure where his two-way game is at right now, but from what I've read in this thread so far it sounds like he needs quite some work in his own end if he's going to even become a role player at the next level.

And of course, him not being able to work out for 2 offseasons doesn't help matters either. I'd hoped he could bulk up a little more this summer but it is what it is...

You definitely understand why he was labelled as a boom/bust pick. It's because he can't fall back on a defensive base, even with speed and board work at his disposal.

Long road ahead for this kid.

Also, watching a few games this year, I'm a little curious as to how others view Jordan Schroeder's speed. He seems fast. He's got a good stride and great agility. But is he a burner really? He doesn't seem to set defenders back using his wheels, not like Rodin can. It's hard to gauge. I would not have thought this, but could he be just an average skater in the pros? Poster Tortorella brought this up in a thread a while back and wonder if it has some merit?

Old
11-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Also, watching a few games this year, I'm a little curious as to how others view Jordan Schroeder's speed. He seems fast. He's got a good stride and great agility. But is he a burner really? He doesn't seem to set defenders back using his wheels, not like Rodin can. It's hard to gauge. I would not have thought this, but could he be just an average skater in the pros? Poster Tortorella brought this up in a thread a while back and wonder if it has some merit?
Nah, he's exceptionally fast, it's just not his game. He finished right behind Sweatt in the fastest skater competition and Sweatt finished faster than anyone on the Canucks. From time to time you can see him turn on the jets, when it's really required — most often on a backcheck or when there's an opportunity to counter.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Nuck This

I don't see how you can miss his speed.... It's pretty evident. He's just a cerebral player. You don't always wanna be a mason raymond skating around the rink and not accomplishing anything. He's poised.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:12 PM
B-rock

What's up with Haydar? 1 pt. in 9 games?
Supposed to be a leader with the C on his sweater...anyone have any insight as to what's going on with him?

Old
11-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
What's up with Haydar? 1 pt. in 9 games?
Supposed to be a leader with the C on his sweater...anyone have any insight as to what's going on with him?
He always sucked as a leader and defensively, now he just also sucks offensively. Most nights he doesn't look like he even cares.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:17 PM
jigsaw99

Is it me or Chicago has too many short journeyman offensive forwards?

Sterling 5"7
Andrew Ebbett 5"8
Darren Haydar 5"9

These guys all have so much in common. Never drafted or drafted very low, puts up AHL numbers but never became a full time NHLer and now will probably never get another chance.

you can also add Davis at 5"8 too except he is 25.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post

Sterling 5"7
Andrew Ebbett 5"8
Darren Haydar 5"9

These guys all have so much in common. Never drafted or drafted very low, puts up AHL numbers but never became a full time NHLer and now will probably never get another chance.

No sort of defensive game either...

Old
11-11-2012, 05:45 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Higher quality of competition probably has something to do with their bed crapping

Old
11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I went to the Heat game last night for the second time... fought traffic out there... fought parking... fought concession lines... fought bathroom lines... no wonder nobody goes to their games.
I haven't been and do not plan on going all the way out there, but can the spike in crowd last night over the average game be any excuse?

Old
11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

I just think that the Abbotsford entertainment centre isn't made to sell out as stupid as that sounds. The lines were pretty ridiculous, and the parking was bad. Still enjoyable though

Old
11-11-2012, 07:12 PM
pahlsson

Quote:

Sterling 5"7
Andrew Ebbett 5"8
Darren Haydar 5"9

yeah in the couple of games i've seen the wolves routinely got pushed off the puck in the offensive zone

Old
11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:

Sterling 5"7
Andrew Ebbett 5"8
Darren Haydar 5"9

I agree, but Sterling is good. While he is the smallest, he's also full of fight. Now Ebbett and Haydar are another matter. I wish we could have kept Mancari to bring some veteran skill and size into the lineup.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
I agree, but Sterling is good. While he is the smallest, he's also full of fight. Now Ebbett and Haydar are another matter. I wish we could have kept Mancari to bring some veteran skill and size into the lineup.

I'm glad we're rid of Mancari. He's bigger but equally inept defensively, equally soft and has the same careless attitude.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Good god, no. I'm glad we're rid of Mancari. He's bigger but equally inept defensively and has the same careless attitude.
He's better than Desbiens at least.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
He's better than Desbiens at least.
Not really. At least Desbiens cares, is physical and plays good defense for the most part. Mancari is a horrible hockey player. There's a reason he was -8 last season... while everyone around him was a +. (I think my strong opinion on him is mostly based on how frustrating he was as a player last year. Especially in the playoffs.)

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-11-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 02:32 AM
orcatown

Quote:
What do you think about Rodin? There doesn't seem to be any conversion in his game. At least, not yet. He plays well, from time to time, but doesn't get on the board... I'm not sure why?

He's got the speed, the hands, the shot, the vision, the shifty moves and even the board work, but he's going nowhere... and I just don't understand it. Could the ice surface adjustment really be that daunting? Granted, he could use more time in the gym. It looks like he didn't even gain weight to me. The shoulder problems don't help either. Even so, I was expecting more from him.

Right now I'm just wondering what kind of niche he can carve in the NHL. Bottom 6 guys play with much more jam. Top 6 guys convert. He's got a long way to go and I'm not sure if he will ever get there.
There were times last year when Rodin very much illustrated some elite offensive skill. Had some excellent games. Seemed to get ground down as the year went on and looked discouraged at times. Seems very willing to get in on the boards and muck it up but then seems to get bogged down in heavy traffic.

This year has been a poor one so far for Rodin. Doesn't seem to be the jump in his play that can allow him to get some space and use the talent he does have. To me, he is just not making the play quick enough or well enough to service his line mates or put away his chances. Also he is not getting the puck out of his zone consistently enough. Nor is he getting up in the play quick enough to create 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 attacks. Basically any thing he is getting now is coming off the forecheck and the cycle and you wonder if this style ultimately suits Rodin.

Rodin obviously has to make it as an offensive player. At times he shows the kind of speed and skill that makes you think he could be a dangerous player but, at least this year, this type of skill and speed have been only sporadically evident. A lot of the time, Rodin seems to get bounced around and unable to create or find space. At this point, I believe that the chances of Rodin making an impact at the NHL level are not that good. Yet there is something here and lots of players find the going tough in their sophomore year. One thing for sure is Rodin has to get stronger.

In some ways Rodin shows the tendency of the team to put too much emphasis on a high skill level when the game is reverting to the kind of high pressure, grinding game where size and strength are trumping skill. The pick up of Kassian and the draft of Gaunce may indicate a recognition of this situation.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
There were times last year when Rodin very much illustrated some elite offensive skill. Had some excellent games. Seemed to get ground down as the year went on and looked discouraged at times. Seems very willing to get in on the boards and muck it up but then seems to get bogged down in heavy traffic.

This year has been a poor one so far for Rodin. Doesn't seem to be the jump in his play that can allow him to get some space and use the talent he does have. To me, he is just not making the play quick enough or well enough to service his line mates or put away his chances. Also he is not getting the puck out of his zone consistently enough. Nor is he getting up in the play quick enough to create 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 attacks. Basically any thing he is getting now is coming off the forecheck and the cycle and you wonder if this style ultimately suits Rodin.

Rodin obviously has to make it as an offensive player. At times he shows the kind of speed and skill that makes you think he could be a dangerous player but, at least this year, this type of skill and speed have been only sporadically evident. A lot of the time, Rodin seems to get bounced around and unable to create or find space. At this point, I believe that the chances of Rodin making an impact at the NHL level are not that good. Yet there is something here and lots of players find the going tough in their sophomore year. One thing for sure is Rodin has to get stronger.

In some ways Rodin shows the tendency of the team to put too much emphasis on a high skill level when the game is reverting to the kind of high pressure, grinding game where size and strength are trumping skill. The pick up of Kassian and the draft of Gaunce may indicate a recognition of this situation.

I think it's imperative that the Canucks help develop Rodin's defensive game. Without it, he's likely done IMO. They should really emphasis it. He has the speed and frame to be better in his own zone. Time to see if he can make the adjustments.

In your opinion, could he do it? The NHL seems like a pipe dream if he can't.

Closed Thread