HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 01:30 AM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Schroeder looked NHL calibre tonight tonight. Arguably our best player.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Schroeder looked NHL calibre tonight tonight. Arguably our best player.
Thought so, too. Lots of chances. I still have some reservations until I see him play an NHL regular season game, though.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:28 AM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
Sometimes when I don't watch Kassian for a while and only read reports from posters here I start to get discouraged. Then I watch him play and I realize there's just no way he won't be a top 6 forward in the NHL. Total package, he looked solid tonight.

I love Mallet. Schroeder still strikes me as a career AHLer. Needs some kind of breakthrough, dunno where it will come from.

Overall I'm disappointed with the Wolves. Not an energetic team to watch. Not sure what it is, coaching or personnel, but something's missing.
yeah, i know it's the ahl and good puck movement and high offensive skill is at a premium but the least they can do is be an aggressive forechecking/hitting team. they sometimes look like the baby nucks out there, not really giving a ****.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Thought so, too. Lots of chances. I still have some reservations until I see him play an NHL regular season game, though.
He passes, shoots, skates and thinks like an NHLer. Whenever he's on the ice he looks like he's on a different level than everyone else both in terms of hockey sense and skill. I have no doubt in my mind he'll have a long career in the NHL. I have a lot of faith in him. Surround him with NHL players and he'll produce.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Its refreshing that Kassian and Schroeder are keeping pace with each other, though not a fan of the system they're playing in.

If anything, this does draw attention to the way systems can impact a player's totals. In Rochester, Kassian was near PPG. They play an offensive style and they tend to have more prospects on their team instead of AHL vets. Something the Wolves don't do. CHI is more a veteran club IMO. So if Kassian's totals can be this negatively impacted by the transition, why can Schroeder's totals not also be?

Now this doesn't absolve Schroeder, it just puts a spotlight on where he is developing. If it was on the Amerks, does he have more assists than goals? Something that he has been known to do in the past? Further, look at what we saw with Hodgson, where his totals impressed (seemingly) after putting up mediocre production in the AHL... There's just a lot there to question what exactly is going on in CHI.

I'm hoping it is the environment, and that as soon as Schroeder gets to the NHL, he will show us what he can really do. After all, how can a player of his hockey IQ stay down? The closest comparison I can think of is Wellwood, and Schroeder is the same size and faster in relation. And he's still improving. So how does he not make it?

Old
11-25-2012, 01:21 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
If anything, this does draw attention to the way systems can impact a player's totals. In Rochester, Kassian was near PPG. They play an offensive style and they tend to have more prospects on their team instead of AHL vets. Something the Wolves don't do. CHI is more a veteran club IMO. So if Kassian's totals can be this negatively impacted by the transition, why can Schroeder's totals not also be?

Now this doesn't absolve Schroeder, it just puts a spotlight on where he is developing. If it was on the Amerks, does he have more assists than goals? Something that he has been known to do in the past? Further, look at what we saw with Hodgson, where his totals impressed (seemingly) after putting up mediocre production in the AHL... There's just a lot there to question what exactly is going on in CHI.

I'm hoping it is the environment, and that as soon as Schroeder gets to the NHL, he will show us what he can really do. After all, how can a player of his hockey IQ stay down? The closest comparison I can think of is Wellwood, and Schroeder is the same size and faster in relation. And he's still improving. So how does he not make it?
He is outproducing Hodgson, at the same level... just saying. He is also much better defensively than both Hodgson and Wellwood.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
He is outproducing Hodgson, at the same level... just saying. He is also much better defensively than both Hodgson and Wellwood.

All the more reason to be hopeful that he makes a good transition.

BTW, Wellwood is highly underrated defensively IMO.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

I'm not quite clear on the statement that Schroeder is outproducing Hodgson, but Hodgson does make an interesting comparison. He has 10 points in 9 games this season (injured right now) but only 1 goal. Is Schroeder's 10 points but with 6 goals more impressive? Hard to say, but it does highlight the difference between the two teams.

Last night's game was just another example of the type of plays that Schroder can make and would probably be more likely to get converted by the Canucks. The pass to trailing Tanev (on a 3-on-2) who doesn't have any sort of shot what-so-ever or the breakaway pass for Pinner who just shot it into the goalie. If that's Edler or Bieksa or Hamhuis, or if the forward is Higgins or Booth — are those passes more likely to end up as goals? I would say so.

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-25-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm not quite clear on the statement that Schroeder is outproducing Hodgson, but Hodgson does make an interesting comparison. He has 10 points in 9 games this season (injured right now) but only 1 goal. Is Schroeder's 10 points but with 6 goals more impressive? Hard to say, but does it highlight the difference between the two teams.

It does indeed.

I didn't get the outproducing bit either, but I realize they were comparable. At the same development point, they each turned in a 45~ point campaign.

Quote:
Last night's game was just another example of the type of plays that Schroder can make and would probably be more likely to get converted by the Canucks. The pass to trailing Tanev (on a 3-on-2) who doesn't have any sort of shot what-so-ever or the breakaway pass for Pinner who just shot it into the goalie. If that's Edler or Bieksa or Hamhuis, or if the forward is Higgins or Booth are those passes more likely to end up as goals? I would say so.

Me too, which is why I want him off the Wolves asap.

If this guy makes it and produces relatively well, is he more valuable to this team than a Bozak would be?

Old
11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
thefeebster

T'was definitely one of the top 5 games i've seen Schroeder play. He was everywhere on the ice.

Quote:
Last night's game was just another example of the type of plays that Schroeder can make and would probably be more likely to get converted by the Canucks. The pass to trailing Tanev (on a 3-on-2) who doesn't have any sort of shot what-so-ever or the breakaway pass for Pinner who just shot it into the goalie. If that's Edler or Bieksa or Hamhuis, or if the forward is Higgins or Booth — are those passes more likely to end up as goals? I would say so.
When I saw that the trailer was Tanev, I was sad. Kudos to him for reading the play well and jumping up in the rush though. Might be just me, but i still think he needs to work on his shot, in terms of selection and release. I remember 3 of his shots blocked off the top of my head and there's probably some missed shots as well. He would generate a lot more offense by just getting it on net.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Wisp

Quote:

Wellwood's problem is his conditioning. Schroeder is a fitness freak in comparison. If Wellwood could be effective for 5 extra minutes a night, he'd probably be an all-star.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Wellwood's problem is his conditioning. Schroeder is a fitness freak in comparison. If Wellwood could be effective for 5 extra minutes a night, he'd probably be an all-star.
Wellwood doesn't have the speed or shot. His vison and and hands are probably superior though.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
I'm not quite clear on the statement that Schroeder is outproducing Hodgson, but Hodgson does make an interesting comparison. He has 10 points in 9 games this season (injured right now) but only 1 goal. Is Schroeder's 10 points but with 6 goals more impressive? Hard to say, but it does highlight the difference between the two teams.

Last night's game was just another example of the type of plays that Schroder can make and would probably be more likely to get converted by the Canucks. The pass to trailing Tanev (on a 3-on-2) who doesn't have any sort of shot what-so-ever or the breakaway pass for Pinner who just shot it into the goalie. If that's Edler or Bieksa or Hamhuis, or if the forward is Higgins or Booth are those passes more likely to end up as goals? I would say so.
One thing to keep in mind is Rochester has 4x PPG forwards on their team where as Chicago doesn't have 1. Rochester also has a handful of guys on pace for 40 points. They obviously play an offensive system that can inflate point totals, where as the Wolves have trouble creating offense. We saw what happened when Hodgson was surrounded by NHL talent after producing at a ~45 point AHL pace, maybe Schroeder can be the same.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:30 PM
roach9

I am truly terrified of the Oilers prospect pool.

Schultz is simply a beast.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post

Keep in mind that their "pool" is their NHL roster as well.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:03 PM
jigsaw99

^ imagine if they also got the 1st overall pick for 2013. VERY good chance. They would def take Seth Jones. Even at 2nd overall they can get Nathan MacKinnon. Heck the top 10 this draft year is stacked!! Doruin, Barkov... Even if season saved, I think they will let Yakupov stay at KHL and tank it again.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:32 PM
racerjoe

Quote:

Sorry, I totally forgot hodgson was in the AHL this year. I didn't factor this years stats at all into my equation. So let me try this again.

Hodgsons stats playing for Vancouvers farm teams, was less than what Schreoders stats are playing with Vancouvers farm team. There, not factoring in what Hodgson did with Buffalo's AHL team at all.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Bieksa#3

I like the work ethic and maturity I see from Schroeder every game I get to see.

Wasn't work ethic a huge concern of his in his 1st year of AHL?

Old
11-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
I like the work ethic and maturity I see from Schroeder every game I get to see.

Wasn't work ethic a huge concern of his in his 1st year of AHL?

Yes it was. Not anymore. It's all coming down to production for him.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
^ imagine if they also got the 1st overall pick for 2013. VERY good chance. They would def take Seth Jones. Even at 2nd overall they can get Nathan MacKinnon. Heck the top 10 this draft year is stacked!! Doruin, Barkov... Even if season saved, I think they will let Yakupov stay at KHL and tank it again.
If there is no season there is no way for them to get 1st overall since they have already done that 3 times. I believe they would only get 1 ball.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:29 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
This. Wellwood's production seems to drop off after a threshold of 14 minutes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
If there is no season there is no way for them to get 1st overall since they have already done that 3 times. I believe they would only get 1 ball.
Based on the luck they had in the offseason (winning 1st overall, getting Schultz), would anyone be surprised if they got it again?

Old
11-25-2012, 07:59 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post

Not really fair, they have two #1 overall picks + Eberle in their lineup.

But yes, I get more and more steamed about Schultz watching him get 10G 18A in 18 ****ing games, even when some of those guys weren't on the team yet.

Exactly the player we needed, RS RH shooting PPQB.

Urg.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post

But yes, I get more and more steamed about Schultz watching him get 10G 18A in 18 ****ing games, even when some of those guys weren't on the team yet.

Urg.
Why don't we ever get any Eberles or Girouxs?

The closest we've had is probably Edler, but still, the Canucks need to start drafting based on skill if we ever want to get some legit young talent. And taking guys like Mallet in the later rounds isn't helping. Mallet will at best be a third liner. But it's a lot easier to acquire quality third liners than first line talent. My own opinion is that we should draft purely on ceiling(especially in the later rounds) if we want even a hope of contending when the Sedins wear out without having to tank.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post

Urg.
John shannon mentioned the other night everyone knows why he picked the oilers, guaranteed ice time, top line minutes, and an immediate roster spot.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Orca Smash

Whenever the season starts I truely hope guys like Schroeder get at least a chance on the 4th line, instead of av's usual 4th line suspects (Weise, Manny, possibly raymond sometimes, ect..)

Closed Thread