HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Whenever the season starts I truely hope guys like Schroeder get at least a chance on the 4th line, instead of av's usual 4th line suspects (Weise, Manny, possibly raymond sometimes, ect..)
Why?

As much as I like Schroeder, I can guarantee that Malhotra would be a more effective player in that role.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Why?

As much as I like Schroeder, I can guarantee that Malhotra would be a more effective player in that role.
Agreed. If Schroeder isn't in the top 6, or on an offensive 3rd line, then might as well leave him in the AHL.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:01 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Agreed. If Schroeder isn't in the top 6, or on an offensive 3rd line, then might as well leave him in the AHL.
I would love it if we did that

Old
11-26-2012, 02:45 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I would love it if we did that
My bet is he will be like Hodgson last year, only better defensively. He may be small but he is strong. Playing with a guy like Hansen and his speed, with his playmaking it could be a good match.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Sorry but I'm not confident Schroeder will be a successful NHLer. He's very good offensively with open ice, and he's become very responsible defensively. unfortunately, he loses a lot of face-offs and puck battles - gets rubbed out more often than not - just not very good stick work in close quarters it seems. It'll become readily apparent at the next level. Wellwood got rubbed out too (more like toppled) but he was also very clever.

Might not seem like a big deal but if you watch the Sedins, Burr, Higgins, Hansen, Kes, Lapierre, they all excel at that facet of the game.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Sorry but I'm not confident Schroeder will be a successful NHLer. He's very good offensively with open ice, and he's become very responsible defensively. unfortunately, he loses a lot of face-offs and puck battles - gets rubbed out more often than not - just not very good stick work in close quarters it seems.
Don't agree with that. For a smaller guy, he does well in the corners. He's one of the better Wolves on face-offs — maybe you just caught a bad game?

Old
11-26-2012, 09:54 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Don't agree with that. For a smaller guy, he does well in the corners. He's one of the better Wolves on face-offs maybe you just caught a bad game?
I'm with you.

Even from the game this weekend, Schroeder came out of puck battles with the puck.

He's prett clever too.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Don't agree with that. For a smaller guy, he does well in the corners. He's one of the better Wolves on face-offs maybe you just caught a bad game?
Could be. Just saw a couple of games so not exactly representative I admit. Guy sure works hard that's for sure.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:42 PM
windflare

Quote:
BREAKING: Darren Archibald (Kalamazoo) and Jeremie Blain (Idaho) are heading back to Chicago, while Stefan Schneider has been sent to K-Zoo
Thank goodness.

EDIT:

Quote:
Stefan Schneider was assigned 2 Kalamazoo 2 get game action after suffering a lower body injury early in training camp. He is healthy now.
Dammit.

Last edited by windflare: 11-26-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 03:06 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Ah well, at least we get to see how Archibald's come along. Hopefully he makes the most of his chance. Wolves could use more size, especially at LW.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:18 PM
B-rock

I'd be shocked if Schneider managed to put up any points in K-zoo, nevermind the amount of points Archibald has put up.

Always puzzled as to how Stefan Schneider was 1. given any consideration for a contract.....2. signed.....3. chosen to play for Chicago over any other 1/2 decent forward prospects..(although that's more a case of no other prospects stepping up enough, but I thought Archibald would show better than Schneider)

Old
11-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
chosen to play for Chicago over any other 1/2 decent forward prospects..(although that's more a case of no other prospects stepping up enough, but I thought Archibald would show better than Schneider)
The case is that he was injured and they couldn't re-assign him until he recovered.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
The funniest thing is that Schneider got a $900,000 contract.

The guy must be blackmailing someone in the Canucks management.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Ah well, at least we get to see how Archibald's come along. Hopefully he makes the most of his chance. Wolves could use more size, especially at LW.
Regarding Archibald, the thing that stands out statistically for me is the number of shots on goal he gets. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps this up at all while, presumably, playing a more defensive role with the Wolves (it seemed he was getting lots of power play time for the K-Wings, and I'm guessing that doesn't continue).

Old
11-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post

They forgot to specify Schneider's first name and gave them a copy of Cory's rookie contract by mistake.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
The case is that he was injured and they couldn't re-assign him until he recovered.
Ok, that makes some sense.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Tiranis

FWIW, the one reason Schneider might be back over Archibald later on (depending on how Archibald does, of course) is that he's a center and the Wolves are not exactly stacked at center. Friesen, unfortunately, has not been any better than Schneider was last year so that doesn't help one bit.

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-26-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 07:37 PM
timw33

Quote:

Only if he plays at the NHL level. He'll be making like $60K/yr for his contract in reality.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:01 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
Regarding Archibald, the thing that stands out statistically for me is the number of shots on goal he gets. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps this up at all while, presumably, playing a more defensive role with the Wolves (it seemed he was getting lots of power play time for the K-Wings, and I'm guessing that doesn't continue).
Yeah, I'll be interested to see how his skating has improved, as well as his two-way game which is what he'll have to rely on if he wants to stay up with an Arniel-coached team. Perhaps he does get some PP time though; the Wolves need more of a net presence when attacking.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:

Eh, chalk another one up for the WHL scouting.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:11 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Anyone have highlites?

Old
11-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Anyone have highlites?
Saturday game? It's on the Wolves site.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
To start out i would try him on the 4th, like hodgson was (some did not agree with that). If you want him on the 3rd that would be fine with me, but I dont think av wants an offensive 3rd line. I think av has started to become pretty clear what he wants on the 3rd line, and that is a checking shutdown line. A huge responsibility av wont give someone who is getting a trial run, I think its more likely lapierre or manny himself will get that position, thats why I would try schroeder on the 4th to see how he does, I dont see how a kassian-schroeder 4th line to start out with is unthinkable. Hodgsons only upside was offense and he also started on the 4th. I dont think starting him their giving him limited minutes just to see how he handles it is a bad idea. Then consider moving him up. I would be all for giving him a chance on the 3rd or 2nd line even, i just dont see it happening with av behind the bench until he proves hes reliable. And if somehow av does slot him as 3rd line center or even our top 6 right off the bat I think it will be short lived unless he makes no mistakes and knocks av's socks off. Av demands alot of younger players who do not have his trust especially if they are in a top role.

Often i feel av's expectations of younger players in any role other then the 4th line when their starting out can do more harm then good. When they finally get a chance in the 2nd or 3rd line and get more minutes he is not afraid to bench them or send them back down quickly if they screw up. And this is not a knock on av, its just his coaching style. New players have very little room for error. For those of you who want schroeder starting off in the top 6 or centering our 3rd, I hope it works quickly, because expectations will be sky high.... if he screws up or does not produce in a small time frame, AV wont hesitate to remove him, and have him sent back down which might hurt his confidence. Its risky.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 11-27-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Schroeder's shot is much better than it was last year.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Why?

Ok well what do you see av doing with him, or would you rather him just stay in the ahl?

Malhotra might be our 3rd line center I dont know (and hope not). And while manny might be more effective right now as a 4th line grinder, the purpose of trying schroeder their is letting a younger guy with potential get some ice time and experience compared to malhotra who imo is nearing the end of his career (unless he does actually bounce back, but last year he was not good at all), and then evaluating him and consider giving him more responsibility if he plays well. So while manny is a better 4th line grinder today, I think its more important we give younger players an opportunity while not starting them in a large role with huge responsibility and tons of pressure on our 2nd and 3rd line. Especially with av behind the bench who has little patience if your in an important role not producing and you dont have his trust. AV did not throw hodgson into a top 6 role either and started him with limited minutes on the 4th, and I believe most feel hodgson was being developed properly. Although some claimed he was miscast their, i guess it depends on how you feel.

Obviously this would be much easier if we were having a full season to play around with.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 11-27-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Closed Thread