HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Was-Nas

Old
11-10-2012, 06:22 PM
1ntrovert*

vCash: 500
Was-Nas

Ovie and Mike Green for Shea Weber and Paul Gaustad.

thoughts?

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
It will be a huge no from Washington, and a polite no from Nashville.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Clyde Donovan

Weber can't be traded until next year

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post
thoughts?

Strictly from a Nashville perspective, Weber ain't going nowhere for nothing, period. Folks by and large don't buy the fantasy of "but he wants out right now!"

I'm not as informed on the Washington perspective, but I imagine they take one look at that overpay attempt and say "hell ****ing no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
Weber can't be traded until next year
...and won't be traded for many more years yet, if ever.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:51 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Think it's worse for Washington.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:06 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Strictly from a Nashville perspective, Weber ain't going nowhere for nothing, period. Folks by and large don't buy the fantasy of "but he wants out right now!"
Really? I think Weber is the best defensemen in the league who should have 2 Norrises by now, but I think Nashville would have to think long and hard before saying no to this.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Violent By Design

Aside from Washington hanging up on this, you really think putting Ovi and Green on one of the most defensive teams in the world is a good idea?

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Just assuming the value is there (and it is not), what's the point for the Caps?
We have Laich, why do we need Gaustad?
We have two good right D in Green and Carlson, that's an area you don't want to touch if you're the Caps. Ain't broke.
We, however, don't have enough good top-6 wingers. If there's a player I'd be interested in from NSH, it's Hornqvist.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:35 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Just assuming the value is there (and it is not), what's the point for the Caps?
We have Laich, why do we need Gaustad?
We have two good right D in Green and Carlson, that's an area you don't want to touch if you're the Caps. Ain't broke.
We, however, don't have enough good top-6 wingers. If there's a player I'd be interested in from NSH, it's Hornqvist.
Hornqvist for Ovechkin done.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:48 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
Hornqvist for Ovechkin done.
Not for a winger Want... Jeff Schultz? lol

Old
11-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Really? I think Weber is the best defensemen in the league who should have 2 Norrises by now, but I think Nashville would have to think long and hard before saying no to this.
Look at Detroit's blueline right now post-Lidstrom. Nashville would envy it if Weber vanished.

Right now Nashville's defensive depth has been pretty badly shaken. If for some reason Josi doesn't do well (either due to soph slump or injury or both), then the blueline's in pretty ugly shape. Losing Weber would turn it into a bona-fide catastrophe as there are no other legit top-pairing blueliners there at the moment. (Josi seems likely to become one, and looked a lot like one last year, but, again, we'll see.)

Mike Green's skillset has some compatibility issues with Preds hockey. He could work out there just fine... but not as the leader of that blueline. If Suter hadn't left, that's a pairing that could have worked, but Suter nowadays is busy complaining about taking the money and running not coming with a guarantee.

And the funny thing is that Nashville doesn't actually need a major offensive star. They were one of the top goal-scoring teams in the League last year without one. Some teams score by committee; Nashville scores by massive bureaucracy. Or something.

Bottom line, while adding a major elite All-Star forward would be nice, it's not worth effectively crippling the blueline for the foreseeable future.

...and then of course there's the whole "Washington wouldn't do it in a million billion years" factor.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Big no from both, but more so from Washington.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post
Ovie and Mike Green for Shea Weber and Paul Gaustad.

thoughts?
Thoughts? My thoughts are your treating Ovie like a spare part, he had a bad last season but he's still one of the best players in the game, can easily put up over 100 points a season and 50+ goals a season and watch out because he can hit you like a train... Likes he's Ovechkin for god sakes not Joe blow, and Green well he's one of the best offensive defenseman in this league, he's had concussion problems over the past year but he's still an elite D man and people always question his defensive play but it's solid...Not taking any thing away from weber He's one of the best all around defenseman in the game today, but worth Green AND Ovie that's just nuts...not remotely close, Washington wouldnt even listen unless Nashville added a couple first rounders and Ellis/Blum.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:44 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Can we talk about Hornqvist while both fanbases are here?

Old
11-11-2012, 06:18 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
I agree, Weber should have at least one Norris trophy and Ovechkin hasn't been the same player lately. If Ovie was scoring 60 goals a year then OK, Washington would say no, but this isn't the same player for the last couple of years so I would probably just want to keep Weber and build around him.

Even with Ovie having less spectacular years lately I would still have to think long and hard about what he would do on my team. It's not an easy no, but I would turn it down and stick with Weber at this point and I would probably always wonder "What if", but Weber is still the guy I would stick with at this point.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:23 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Can we talk about Hornqvist while both fanbases are here?
Now stop me if I'm wrong, I'm under the impression he is like David Clarkson in the sense he scores a ton of flukey goals, right?

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Now stop me if I'm wrong, I'm under the impression he is like David Clarkson in the sense he scores a ton of flukey goals, right?
Yeah just like Holmstrom in Detroit.

Hornqvist will park around the net using his quick wrists to feed rebounds into the back of the net. How is that Flukey? That sounds like hard work to me.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:39 AM
glenbuis

let meget this straight hellno from washington? Ovechkin was the guy who averaged 3minutes of playoff icetime under hunter and green who is one dimensional for a beast who is as mean as hell to play against ie: zetterberg headslam maybe ovie regains some touch but i know that in the playoffs when the whistle gets put away ill take the beast anyday

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
let meget this straight hellno from washington? Ovechkin was the guy who averaged 3minutes of playoff icetime under hunter and green who is one dimensional for a beast who is as mean as hell to play against ie: zetterberg headslam maybe ovie regains some touch but i know that in the playoffs when the whistle gets put away ill take the beast anyday
Have you ever seen Ovi's playoff stats? You will be surprised. Now you'll start talking about overall team playoff performance and what do we see... Nashville has never gone deeper in the playoffs than the Caps!

Old
11-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Thoughts? My thoughts are your treating Ovie like a spare part, he had a bad last season but he's still one of the best players in the game, can easily put up over 100 points a season and 50+ goals a season and watch out because he can hit you like a train... Likes he's Ovechkin for god sakes not Joe blow, and Green well he's one of the best offensive defenseman in this league, he's had concussion problems over the past year but he's still an elite D man and people always question his defensive play but it's solid...Not taking any thing away from weber He's one of the best all around defenseman in the game today, but worth Green AND Ovie that's just nuts...not remotely close, Washington wouldnt even listen unless Nashville added a couple first rounders and Ellis/Blum.
He has been off two years in a row. If his production remains the same as it has the last two years, Ovechkin is WAY overpaid.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:03 PM
avsfansince95

yeah nashville needs more russian stars who think they are larger then life and are always thinking about playing in the khl...

avsfansince95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

lol what the ****

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:54 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
Nashville already had problems trying to fit Weber into the cap. There's no way a team with an internal cap can fit OV.

Besides, if OV can't handle playing in a defensive system under Boudreau/Hunter, I doubt he'd fit in with Trotz's. Nashville requires their forwards to be sound defensively.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Nashville already had problems trying to fit Weber into the cap. There's no way a team with an internal cap can fit OV.

Besides, if OV can't handle playing in a defensive system under Boudreau/Hunter, I doubt he'd fit in with Trotz's. Nashville requires their forwards to be sound defensively.
Except we don't have an internal cap anymore, if he'd had listened we would have matched Minnesota's offer for Suter.

But your other point is what would worry me about this deal, if Ovie is stuck in the 30-35 goal range then you can just knock off another five goals because of Trotz.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:24 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Except we don't have an internal cap anymore, if he'd had listened we would have matched Minnesota's offer for Suter.

But your other point is what would worry me about this deal, if Ovie is stuck in the 30-35 goal range then you can just knock off another five goals because of Trotz.
Ovi had 38 last year, I'd expect 40-45 next year because I think Oates system will be better suited for the gifted players.