HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Thinking of Running a "Best Songs of Generation Y" Poll Series

Old
03-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 400
Thinking of Running a "Best Songs of Generation Y" Poll Series

Would there be any interest here? I just kinda noticed now that there was a "page 2" here and several off-topic sections.

I was thinking of doing a list of the top songs from around 1990 and on (with possible exceptions) to cover the music that people from generation Y grew up listening to, which includes me and what seems to be a large majority of people around here.

I just wanted to gauge the interest here, and see if I would actually get a significant number of voters to be worth before before I put in all the work.

I would make it a combination of the popularity of the song, impact of the song, and the personal feelings of the voter towards the song. But we can get more into that later.

So, who's in?

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Xelebes

vCash: 692
That's a broad swath. Gen Y goes from 1980 to 2000. So if we are doing music from 1990, we have to do realistic tunes that would have been listened by a 10 year old. Grunge is very much Gen X music save for the late stuff. However, hiphouse in 1990 was heavily marketed to the younger kids which acted as a gateway for hiphop and house together.

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
That's a broad swath. Gen Y goes from 1980 to 2000. So if we are doing music from 1990, we have to do realistic tunes that would have been listened by a 10 year old. Grunge is very much Gen X music save for the late stuff. However, hiphouse in 1990 was heavily marketed to the younger kids which acted as a gateway for hiphop and house together.
When I was 10 (1998) I was listening to Radiohead, The Offspring, Goo Goo Dolls, The Wallflowers, and anything my older brother listened to.

Also I think 1990 was more or less the time that popular "rock" music shifted from Glam Rock to Grunge, Alternative, ect...

Even if someone born in 1980 wasn't listeing to all the top music from 1990 at that time, someone who discovered music from those bands later on would likely go back and listen to it anyways. I know I did.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:37 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 500
Make sure you have some Edguy/Gamma Ray/Stratovarious etc in there, otherwise your list would suck

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote