HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 10:30 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
What, there is such a thing as all ages film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Not necessarily. Sure they come off as "kids films" but a lot of these movies when you watch them years later you see a lot of different small things (lines, jokes, etc) in there that only adults understand and kids think of in a different way. Also the plots in those movies can also be seen by adults in a different way as it relates to their life experiences differently. It's actually quite interesting. Disney and Pixar have been doing it for years.
It's a pointless semantics argument, and the only reason to make is to escape the notion that you like a kids flick.

It doesn't change the fact that Star Wars always was, from the very start, marketed and accessible to a child audience: Just like the Marvel films and Pirates of the Carribbean, both Disney properties, were targeted to kids.

There isn't a single good kids movie that adults can't watch and enjoy. It's the principle Disney built their brand on, and then rebuilt their brand on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post

A scene from a children's movie, apparently.
One five second grab from a film series that doesn't get that dark again until Anakin kills a room full of kids (which we don't see), doesn't really change who the target audience for that film is.

For reference, the last Harry Potter film (maybe the most famous "kids" series of all time) deals with much darker subject matter than any Star Wars film. Racial genocide, child internment, torture, death and war. At one point the female lead is tied to a chair, cut with a knife and is tortured while screaming. That's a four quadrant film that was designed to bring in a young audience.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Francesa

vCash: 500
Hopefully the films are better than "John Carter"

Old
11-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's a pointless semantics argument, and the only reason to make is to escape the notion that you like a kids flick.

It doesn't change the fact that Star Wars always was, from the very start, marketed and accessible to a child audience: Just like the Marvel films and Pirates of the Carribbean, both Disney properties, were targeted to kids.

There isn't a single good kids movie that adults can't watch and enjoy. It's the principle Disney built their brand on, and then rebuilt their brand on.

One five second grab from a film series that doesn't get that dark again until Anakin kills a room full of kids (which we don't see), doesn't really change who the target audience for that film is.

For reference, the last Harry Potter film (maybe the most famous "kids" series of all time) deals with much darker subject matter than any Star Wars film. Racial genocide, child internment, torture, death and war. At one point the female lead is tied to a chair, cut with a knife and is tortured while screaming. That's a four quadrant film that was designed to bring in a young audience.
They have all this and much more? There's also incest, terrorism, drug/human trafficking, torture unto to death/submission, genocide(don't know how you missed that).

Have you seen the Star Wars movies?

Old
11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Bloumeister
not blowneister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
The full video:

Old
11-01-2012, 10:51 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Here is video from Disney's Hollywood Studios from last year when they re-opened their Star Tours attraction and you can see they did a great job with it, so they know what they are doing when it comes to Star Wars.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:35 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
They have all this and much more? There's also incest, terrorism, drug/human trafficking, torture unto to death/submission, genocide(don't know how you missed that).

New game coming out, possibly the darkest one yet:

Star Wars can and should have a dark tone to it. Not depressingly so or overly violent, but Han just blasting a guy in a seedy bar kind of set the tone for me. That whole bar scene is like a microcosm of why Star Wars is so great. RotJ seemed out of place because it was so lighthearted. The universe is too rich for them to just skim the surface with feel-good stuff.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
New game coming out, possibly the darkest one yet:

Star Wars can and should have a dark tone to it. Not depressingly so or overly violent, but Han just blasting a guy in a seedy bar kind of set the tone for me. That whole bar scene is like a microcosm of why Star Wars is so great. RotJ seemed out of place because it was so lighthearted. The universe is too rich for them to just skim the surface with feel-good stuff.
Actually Return of the Jedi was in a way "an end to darkness(Empire) and beginning of light(new republic)", hence the happier tone. That's how I saw it ever since I was a kid.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:55 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Here is video from Disney's Hollywood Studios from last year when they re-opened their Star Tours attraction and you can see they did a great job with it, so they know what they are doing when it comes to Star Wars.

Disney has been doing a great job with Star Wars for years. They've had so many Star Wars events at WDW (and probably DL too) for years.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Here's an article relating to the topic at hand:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/ind...s-vii-viii-ix/

Quote:
The long conjectured third Star Wars trilogy has kept fans guessing for decades, and may even have a few numerologists working on their mysteries. George Lucas’ shifting feelings about future Star Wars trilogies have consistently clouded the picture. Given the difficulties associated with the birth of Star Wars in 1977, it’s no wonder that Lucas’s ideas kaleidoscoped. When trying to get such a big undertaking up and running and out the door, visions of the future are understandably hazy. But, as of October 30, 2012, Episodes VII, VIII and IX have been announced as real and soon to be tangible — but they’ve existed as gossamer spirits for nearly 40 years.

On December 29, 1975, in conversation with Alan Dean Foster per the novelization of Star Wars, Lucas mentioned the prequel trilogy along with what would become Episodes V and VI: “I want to have Luke kiss the Princess in the second book. In the third book, I want the story just about the soap opera of the Skywalker family, which ends with the destruction of the Empire. Then someday I want to do the back story of Kenobi as a young man – a story of the Jedi and how the Emperor eventually takes over and turns the whole thing from a Republic into an Empire, and tricks all the Jedi and kills them. The whole battle where Luke’s father gets killed. That would be impossible to do, but it’s great to dream about.”

As Lucas came to terms with Twentieth Century-Fox during the making of Star Wars, he secured the legal rights to his sequels, though they remained undefined at the time. On location for the first phase of principal photography in Tunisia in March 1976, Lucas began a long tradition of talking with close collaborators, voicing his ideas for these other episodes and trilogies, much as Walt Disney would do of his projects.

“You know, when I first did this, it was four trilogies,” Mark Hamill recalled in 2004, speaking of their conversation in 1976. “Twelve movies! Out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing… ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ […] I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi-Wan handing the lightSabre down to the next new hope.’”

In 1978, a Time magazine article reported that the Star Wars Corporation (a subsidiary Lucas had formed for Star Wars) would be producing “Star Wars II [Empire], and then, count them, 10 other planned sequels.” At that time Lucas consistently mentioned 12 films and even created a barebones outline to that effect.

In it, the original trilogy occupied Episodes VI, VII, and VIII; a Clone Wars trilogy took up Episodes II, III, and IV, while Episode I was a “prelude,” Episodes IX through XI were simply left blank – and Episode XII was the “conclusion.”

In 1979, however, Lucas said in an interview on the set of Empire, “The first script was one of six original stories I had written in the form of two trilogies. After the success of Star Wars, I added another trilogy. So now there are nine stories. The original two trilogies were conceived of as six films of which the first film was number four.”

While in postproduction in early 1980, Lucas used to kick back from time to time with ILM manager Jim Bloom and muse about the bigger story. “The first trilogy is about the young Ben Kenobi and the early life of Luke’s father when Luke is a little boy,” Lucas said. “This trilogy takes place some 20 years before the second trilogy, which includes Star Wars and Empire. About a year or two passes between each story of the trilogy and about 20 years between the trilogies. The entire saga spans about 55 years. I’m still left with three trilogies of nine films. At two hours each, that’s about eighteen hours of film!”

While Empire was originally part of a 12-film plan, by the time it was released, the number had clearly been reduced to nine. “The prequel stories exist — where Darth Vader came from, the whole story about Darth and Ben Kenobi — and it all takes place before Luke was born,” Lucas explained at the time. “The other one — what happens to Luke afterward — is much more ethereal. I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that. If I’m really ambitious, I could proceed to figure out what would have happened to Luke.”

Lucas mentioned these notebooks — or one big book — to me, a few years ago. I asked if I could see it, but he declined. My feeling is that this big book or these notebooks are private, though Lucas has occasionally sent me via an assistant miscellaneous handwritten notes from the period 1976-1983 to help in the writing of the making-of books.

But two years later while filming Jedi, for many reasons, Lucas was burning out, tired of the whole enterprise: “I’m only doing this because I started it and now I have to finish it,” he adds. “The next trilogy will be all someone else’s vision.”

As of today, Lucas has given his new co-chairman Kathleen Kennedy several ideas and is really going into semi-retirement. Now, in a relatively short time, compared to the decades of speculation, fans will learn the secrets of Episodes VII, VIII and IX. Star Wars has risen again!

Old
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
This is my year!

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post

Did you pick up on any of that as a kid? To kids it's as clear cut as good guys and bad guys, robots, strange monsters and space ships.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:28 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I started watching Season 5 of the Star Wars The Clone Wars, and it's as good as ever IMO.

Animation and Voice acting is top notch. The series continues to get progressiveness darker as the Clone wars gets closer to ending.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Old
11-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Well that was just stupid. I couldn't get past the 1:45 mark, due to fear of the retardness being contagious.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

If Lucas really made the prequels for kids, why they hell would he pick such a complex story about trade embargoes and boring political speeches on the senate floor? I still don't know if I understood the plot in Phantom Menace

This part of the clones review says everything

Last edited by Fire Lindy: 11-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old
11-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
If Lucas really made the prequels for kids, why they hell would he pick such a complex story about trade embargoes and boring political speeches on the senate floor? I still don't know if I understood the plot in Phantom Menace

Part five of this review where he gives dating advice is absolutely hilarious.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:17 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post

I would love to see Lucas respond to Plinkettes reviews of the prequels. I wonder If he could even challenge anything Plinkette said.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Revenge of the Sith was also PG-13 and was very dark, but George made it for kids!

Old
11-03-2012, 02:31 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Part five of this review where he gives dating advice is absolutely hilarious.

I literally was in tears and couldn't breathe.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Found this. It's apparently from someone who sat in on a Disney Investors Call

Quote:
I sat in on the investor call this morning and took some notes on the Q&A session:

No George Lucas on call. ILM, Skywalker sound and LucasArts all included in deal. Brand compatibility and mutual understanding of iconic characters and protecting/leveraging brand to create value. 2015 Star Wars Episode 7, first feature under Lucas/Disney. Episode 8 and 9 also planned. New Star Wars film should be expected every two to three years. Talking about Pixar and Marvel acquisitions, integrated business structure. CFO says only Disney can create value from Lucas IP (including Indiana Jones and Star Wars) but only care about SW. More breadth and depth of Star Wars content domestically, and using Disney’s distribution to take it global. Parks and resorts, games and TV big focus for Disney expansion of LucasArts. Interestingly enough, they valued LucasArts at the same as Marvel, but based the LucasArts valuation on just Star Wars alone, any extra content is a bonus. LucasArts has 17,000 characters to utilize.

Questions from audience:

1.How does Marvel acquisition compare to LucasArts? Marvel was way better at global distribution and had better licensing and shelfspace.

2.How much did Marvel acquisition make you? No details announced. Value-creating for shareholders. Share price compared to pro-forma has been positive. Feel equally strong about LucasArts.

3.Recurring library revenue from LucasArts? Can’t reveal breakdown. A quarter of Lucas Films revenue is from their film library, the rest is other licensing deals.

4.Any other movies from Lucas? Nope, concentration on just Star Wars. Extensive and detailed treatment for the next trilogy. 2015 for Episode 7, 8 and 9 in 2017 and 2019 respectively.

5.Doubling down on film while home entertainment is going down. What opportunities for parks? Box office own has grown exponentially. All good. Being conservative in this purchase. 4 parks, 2 recently redone, incorporate more Star Wars into parks, build on Asian parks. Star Wars #2 franchise in the world by Forbes. “Sci Fi Fantasy” and “Super Hero” franchises under disney control.

6.What Star Wars films come in lieu of at Disney? What happens to Marvel? Pixar? Concerns about saturation? Strategy has been 1-2 Marvel films a year, 1 Pixar film a year, 1 Disney animated per year, a couple live action tent poles with 2017 Star Wars being one of those. No huge extra investment in film. Better to invest in sequel to Star Wars than a brand new IP, known quantity, easier ROI.

7.Annual Consumer Product Licensing – $215M per year, confirm? Confirmed for 2012

8.Projections for future film $? Erred on conservative side. Considering no SW film since 2005, most revenue calculated from future exploitation of SW film franchise.

9.Dilutives, single digit EPS and accretives, share buyback in 2 years. Does that include buyback? Single digit drop in EPS caused by dilutives. Accretives are caused by buyback.

10.All those revenue projections, were they for 2005 when the last movie was made? No, for calendar year 2012.

11.$2 Billion of stock being issued, $100 Billion outstanding. Why is that only single digit change to EPS? Amortization of intangibles and deferred revenue around licensing. Net income impacts different. Transaction and restructure costs also offset OI.

12.Do you get ALL characters, unlike Marvel where some characters were precluded? There are very little incumberances. Some distribution incumberances with Fox and previous movies, and Paramount incumberances with Indiana Jones. Fewer incumberances than we had with Marvel.

13.Congrats! You’re risking the wrath of the entire Internet! What are you doing with ILM? Let it remain as is. They do work for multiple studios, no change. Does decent business, every intention of staying in.

14.How much did 3D revenue differential affect 3D strategy? Can’t compare recent movies to old ones. Adjusted actual BO to inflation with international BO today, relative to old ones. Adjusted prominence of 3D to tent pole films and revenue stream. Total value of past three films = $1.5B. 40% of BO comes from 3D releases for tent pole films.

15.Interactive, social gaming? Lucas seems good, what is strategy around that? Social vs console gaming. Focus more on social and mobile instead of console. Licensing property vs developing. Based on story telling and characters.

16.Anything personally going on GL and why he’s selling out now? (lol) No words in George’s mouth. About 4-5 years ago, he started contemplating a form of retiring, he put that in process. Identified Kathleen kennedy to run company. Started discussing with Disney 1.5 years ago. He will serve as consultant, doing consulting now on the basic development for next SW film trilogy starting 2015. He intends to retire.

17.Indiana Jones – Does Paramount require exit fees? Disney didn’t ascribe any values to IJ because of encumberances. Not factored into acquisition.

18.Acquiring Marvel filled void for boys IP. Disney had princesses and fairies. Does SW further fill that boys IP licensing void. Gives good footprint, never looked at boys vs girls for shelfspace. Just look for great IP. Just happy to build on SW. Want to increase Boys IP for TV more than anything as seen with Disney XD and Marvel shows.

19.Distribution deal. If Fox has distro rights, how will that change with new deal? No distribution rights for future films. When bought Marvel, Fox still had rights to some future film distribution.

20.What kind of production costs assumed for new SW films? Too premature.
So I bolded the answers that Disney gave during the call. Judging from question 4 it looks like they don't plan on anything to do with Indiana Jones. If you look at question 17, doesn't even sound like they acquired the rights or anything substantial to make an Indiana Jones movie. Question 15 has me slightly depressed as someone hoping for Star Wars Battlefront III. I'm not a fan of mobile gaming so I couldn't careless what they bring out for mobile gaming. Is it just me or does it seem like no one actually wants to try and finish a Battlefront III game? It just seems like there's no one who actually wants to make it. Which is weird because if a game like The Force Unleashed can sell a lot, imagine just how much Battlefront III would sell.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:41 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_novels

they have a lot of story lines to choose from

Old
11-03-2012, 03:10 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post

So I bolded the answers that Disney gave during the call. Judging from question 4 it looks like they don't plan on anything to do with Indiana Jones. If you look at question 17, doesn't even sound like they acquired the rights or anything substantial to make an Indiana Jones movie. Question 15 has me slightly depressed as someone hoping for Star Wars Battlefront III. I'm not a fan of mobile gaming so I couldn't careless what they bring out for mobile gaming. Is it just me or does it seem like no one actually wants to try and finish a Battlefront III game? It just seems like there's no one who actually wants to make it. Which is weird because if a game like The Force Unleashed can sell a lot, imagine just how much Battlefront III would sell.
I think there's a demand in the fan universe for new console games. Disney will realize somewhere along the lines that they can make serious bank by making a Battlefront 3 incorporating elements of the new trilogy as well as the old. They could even make a Battlefront 4. And they've got plenty of time to make the core of a game that can rival today's modern shooter games.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:17 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

I think Paramount still has rights to Indy, and I don't think Disney would want to spend a lot of money buying those rights with Harrison Ford aging (let's face it, it just isn't Indiana Jones without Ford)

11-03-2012, 03:40 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
I read somewhere that the whole idea behind Shia The Beef's character was supposed to replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones as a reboot. Can you imagine?

Old
11-03-2012, 04:11 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I read somewhere that the whole idea behind Shia The Beef's character was supposed to replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones as a reboot. Can you imagine?
See, the upside to having Disney more or less in control is that **** like this isn't likely to happen. You don't get to where they are by consistently making horrible decisions.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Better to invest in sequel to Star Wars than a brand new IP, known quantity, easier ROI.
This answer from Disney stood out to me. It screamed John Carter. It puts a new angle on things. Disney is probably licking their wounds from that disaster and thinking, "OK, no more huge investments in establishing new IPs, like John Carter; from now on, we'll invest hugely only in already-established IPs, like Star Wars." Yes, Lucas and Disney started talking 1.5 years ago, before John Carter flopped, but it sure looks like that flop may've contributed to Disney's reasoning for going ahead with the deal.

Quote:
Judging from question 4 it looks like they don't plan on anything to do with Indiana Jones. If you look at question 17, doesn't even sound like they acquired the rights or anything substantial to make an Indiana Jones movie.
They'll use it eventually; we can be sure of that. I think that it's just that they don't want to juggle too many things and want to devote the rest of this decade to Star Wars. Maybe in 2020, once the next trilogy is complete, they'll sit down and think about more Indiana Jones films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
See, the upside to having Disney more or less in control is that **** like this isn't likely to happen. You don't get to where they are by consistently making horrible decisions.
Their good decisions outnumber their bad decisions, but that doesn't mean that they don't make a lot of really bad decisions. Disney has had the biggest flops of the year two years in a row now: John Carter this year and Mars Needs Moms last year. In fact, since Walt Disney died, Disney has made a lot of mistakes and had lots of flops. It's just that their hits are so lucrative that they can afford the flops. Anyways, my only point is that Disney is quite capable of messing things up, so we shouldn't put it past them.

Last edited by Osprey: 11-03-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Closed Thread