HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I might be in the minority, but I don't want the original Star Wars actors in the films. I am kind of hoping they don't just jump to like 30 years after Return of the Jedi, and have old versions passing stuff down. I kind of hope they spent their time writing a good script, re-cast, and follow some of the book narratives and continue on soon after Return of the Jedi. It sucks to do, and maybe the actors can have a cameo, but I don't want an Indiana Jones IV, I want a real flick and not one that is meant to pass the series along to a new generation.
I think Luke can make sense in an old mentor role like Obi-Wan from the OT. Ford is looking too old to play Solo anymore, best left as a passing mention. Fischer looks terrible, and I can't see Leia having an important role, nothing that would make sense for more than 10 minutes of screen time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Don't mind the writing choice, Toy Story had a good story and characters you cared about (like the original Star Wars trilogy)

Anyone else hope they don't bring any big named actors to play major roles? Some fresh faces would be nice.
I'd like to see new faces as well. Not entirely new, that would be almost impossible, but no more over used actors like Samuel L. Jackson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
2 requests for the new movie(s):

1. Please don't overload with CGI. It was overdone in episodes 1-3 to the point where it looked obviously fake. The backgrounds, the force powers/lightsabres , the battles, everything.

As sort of an extension of the first point....

2. Film on location!!! The forests of Endor, Hoth, these were great sequences because it looked REAL. That's because it *was* real. Instead of 'oohing' and 'awweing' about how fabulous that computer generated skyscraper looks, put it in a realistic/real environment and the attention will be drawn towards the characters themselves.
Biggest hope for me as well.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Don't want any of the old actors back, there is a reason they didn't have big careers after 4-6. Except maybe Ford, but he is a bit nutty now.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
If they did it in a buddy cop style where Anakin is Riggs to Obi-Wan's Murtagh, it could be good. Nix episode 1, and turn the prequel trilogy into the the pair kicking space ass with light Sabres. Then have Anakin show signs of being evil towards the end of the second (or at least give him some motivation). Part three, he get's full on evil at the climax and ends up in the suit. Basically, the first trilogy with Anakin and Obi-wan instead of Luke and Han, only Anakin falls to the Dark Side.
There is definitely room for an episode 1.5. In the Plinkette review one of his major issues with the second film was they started it at a point where it made the whole first film irrelevant. We are then supposed to feel a deep bond between Anakin and Obi-Wan but we have never been shown them having a meaningful interaction as they skipped over Anakin's entire training.

If they made a film in between The Phantom Menace and The Clone Wars then we may actually build a bond with the two main characters by seeing them train and grow together. Instead all their chemistry is supposed to be assumed and we have to rely on Lucas' poor dialogue to get any sense that these people even like each other.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:44 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
2 requests for the new movie(s):

1. Please don't overload with CGI. It was overdone in episodes 1-3 to the point where it looked obviously fake. The backgrounds, the force powers/lightsabres , the battles, everything.

As sort of an extension of the first point....

2. Film on location!!! The forests of Endor, Hoth, these were great sequences because it looked REAL. That's because it *was* real. Instead of 'oohing' and 'awweing' about how fabulous that computer generated skyscraper looks, put it in a realistic/real environment and the attention will be drawn towards the characters themselves.
I would suggest they do both. On location like the original trilogy should be the first choice but CGI shouldn't be ruled out if they need something bigger or more alien than Earth can provide. For example in the original trilogy they work around/avoid any of the high population/advanced planets and cities. Don't use CGI for the sake of using CGI but if there's a legit need or use for it I say go ahead.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:06 AM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
There is definitely room for an episode 1.5. In the Plinkette review one of his major issues with the second film was they started it at a point where it made the whole first film irrelevant. We are then supposed to feel a deep bond between Anakin and Obi-Wan but we have never been shown them having a meaningful interaction as they skipped over Anakin's entire training.

If they made a film in between The Phantom Menace and The Clone Wars then we may actually build a bond with the two main characters by seeing them train and grow together. Instead all their chemistry is supposed to be assumed and we have to rely on Lucas' poor dialogue to get any sense that these people even like each other.
It's the Jar Jar Binks, lightsabres™ everywhere, annoying dumb robots, stupid clone and dumb trade route embargo plot era. Do we want to see yet more **** in that setting ? I don't care if it's smarter with toned down CGI... it's the same thing.

If the prequels had been great, at least it could have set up more good movies in that era but... what's worse is that we know what happens. That's just boring. I'd like to see a story where we discover new heroes. A story with heroes whose fate is in question and who could create change positive or negative throughout the entire galaxy. I want to know what happens after Luke, Leia and Solo win. Surely there are other challenges for whoever is left after them. Infinite potential to tell great stories, better ones than the clone wars story. Not to mention that the cartoon tells the story you're talking about and having multiple episodes over many seasons to do it is a better medium to show us how they developed that link.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Rofl, haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine but you've seen Toy Story 3? Are you ****ing kidding me are you ****ing six?

Old
11-10-2012, 08:17 AM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
Rofl, haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine but you've seen Toy Story 3? Are you ****ing kidding me are you ****ing six?
I'm perplexed by this post.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
...wut? Toy Story 3 was made for the generation that is now 18-25. Everyone I know has seen it.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:49 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Abrams seems to like to keep his plate relatively uncluttered. I highly doubt he has the schedule to take on a franchise like Star Wars right now.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH˛ View Post
It's the Jar Jar Binks, lightsabres™ everywhere, annoying dumb robots, stupid clone and dumb trade route embargo plot era. Do we want to see yet more **** in that setting ? I don't care if it's smarter with toned down CGI... it's the same thing.

If the prequels had been great, at least it could have set up more good movies in that era but... what's worse is that we know what happens. That's just boring. I'd like to see a story where we discover new heroes. A story with heroes whose fate is in question and who could create change positive or negative throughout the entire galaxy. I want to know what happens after Luke, Leia and Solo win. Surely there are other challenges for whoever is left after them. Infinite potential to tell great stories, better ones than the clone wars story. Not to mention that the cartoon tells the story you're talking about and having multiple episodes over many seasons to do it is a better medium to show us how they developed that link.
I didn't say they should make a 1.5, I said they could if they wanted to.

Also the whole point of it would be to leave behind all the Jar Jar and political stuff. It would be all about Obi Wan training Anakin to actually add some emotional depth to their relationship to make what happens in III more meaningful. They would pretty much have free reign to do whatever we want as we know very little about how Jedi are trained other than Yoda's brief encounter with Luke.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I read that chances are next year in the United States the Star Wars: The Clone Wars series will be moving from The Cartoon Network to Disney XD.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Don't want any of the old actors back, there is a reason they didn't have big careers after 4-6. Except maybe Ford, but he is a bit nutty now.
Hamill and Fisher confirmed

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...michael-388424

Old
11-16-2012, 01:30 PM
sabresfan129103

Disney wants to make 2 or 3 Star Wars movies a year???? Not sure how I feel about that. http://blastr.com/2012/11/disney-planning-2-or-3-st.php

Old
11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Star Wars 7 & Beyond: Empire, Jedi Writer Lawrence Kasdan Onboard for Sequel in New Trilogy

Quote:
Disney doesn't appear too anxious to mess with a formula that works.

After securing Oscar winner Michael Arndt to pen Star Wars 7, the first addition to George Lucas' iconic franchise that will be released under new management, the Mouse House has reportedly hired Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg to pen the two sequels already planned for later in the decade.
Sources: Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg Lock Deals to Write and Produce 'Star Wars' Installments

Old
11-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Apparently Disney has been taking some flak? From what I was reading on twitter, Disney was taking down any Star Wars related fan stuff on the internet or something to that affect?

Old
11-21-2012, 05:00 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Apparently Disney has been taking some flak? From what I was reading on twitter, Disney was taking down any Star Wars related fan stuff on the internet or something to that affect?
I'm not aware of any big moves like this unless they're purging episodes of the cartoon from youtube or something.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Disney wants to make 2 or 3 Star Wars movies a year???? Not sure how I feel about that. http://blastr.com/2012/11/disney-planning-2-or-3-st.php
Actually, that was just bad journalism. The plan is for LucasFilm to make 2-3 movies per year, not to make 2-3 Star Wars movies per year.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
terrible.

Hopefully only in minor roles.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
terrible.

Hopefully only in minor roles.
I feel like it will be the role aunt may or what not.

11-21-2012, 11:29 AM
disgruntleddave

I'm actually optimistic.

I think it's very likely we'll end up with movies that are significantly better than the prequel trash we got.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Protest the Hero

My number 1 choice to direct has officially said he won't be doing it, Brad Bird.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Did X-Men: First Class Actor Confirm Matthew Vaughn is Directing Star Wars: Episode VII?

Old
11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Clock

Please god, don't bring back the old characters. Just take off right after Jedi. Write a good story that doesn't have to somehow shoehorn in the old cast and force the storyline to be pushed back by thirty years on that basis.

You know what's going to be awesome nostalgia? Star destroyers and the Millennium Falcons and AT ATs. Not Carrie Fisher's puffy face.

Do it only if the best story written included them naturally.

And J.J Abrams... please god, no. NO.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
I would link but I'm in my phone, the article is over at entertainment Weekly's website. It seems Ford has some interest in coming back as Solo as well. This has to be one of the biggest 180s in a long time. Ford begged Lucas to kill Solo in RotJ because he hated the character and the franchise, but they wouldn't because Solo was such a big toy earner. What has caused him to consider coming back as well would be something I liked to know about.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:20 PM
wedge

it'll be weird watching a Star Wars film without the 20th century fox intro.

Closed Thread