HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

vCash: 500
JJ Abrams is terrible. It's as if they made it their explicit objective to find the worst possible filmmaker. It's not just that his movies are flashy and lacking in substance, it's that they're utterly stupid and boring in their flashiness and lack of substance. The recent Star Trek movie is a case study in awful filmmaking. I feel sorry for Star Wars fans.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Eternal Sunshine

My gut feeling is that with Abrams at the helm, I won't care for it. I hope he proves me wrong, though.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

They should've had David Lynch direct it.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
They should've had David Lynch direct it.
Or David Fincher.

Since I always confuse the two

Old
01-26-2013, 06:06 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Yeah I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but I was really hoping they'd find someone very talented but still unknown that would have a stake in making this his breakout movie. Like Peter Jackson with the Lord of the Rings trilogy or Joss Whedon with The Avengers.

That seems to be the best way to get things done these days.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Wow, you know what this means.

Star Trek-Star Wars crossover.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
01-26-2013, 10:32 PM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Wow, you know what this means.
Lens flares. And lots of them.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Chris Pine as Anakin Solo is a given.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:34 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Or David Fincher.

Since I always confuse the two
David Fincher ruined the other great Sci-Fi Franchise (Alien series) with his "directing" of Alien 3.He should never be allowed to come near Star Wars.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Chris Pine as Anakin Solo is a given.
And some nerdy, angsty character played by some guy who no one knows.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
And some nerdy, angsty character played by some guy who no one knows.
Michael Cera

Old
01-27-2013, 08:04 AM
MadDevil

I'm still on the fence with Abrams. I liked the Trek reboot, but Super 8 was a bit of a dud to me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

At least Lucas isn't directing them (he's great with ideas but terrible at directing).

Old
01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I thought Super 8 was okay, I'd like to hear what kids thought of it. Maybe they loved it like I loved "The Goonies" when I was a kid.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Abrams did a good job with Star Trek, I think itll be fine.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

IMO, this is a solid choice and probably the right one, atleast for the first new star wars flick. this is about forgetting the tripe of the prequels and getting back to the spirit of the originals, I think Abrams will understand this. Then if they want, disney can go a little more "risque" for the later films.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I don't have a lot of hope for the new SW directed by Abrams.

He ruined Star Trek with his awful reboot. Star Trek was never about dramatic over the top action scenes. ST is more like chess is space, with intriguing characters and a ton of science revolving around it all.

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of action in ST. Take DS9 for example, it had tons of action. But the action had a purpose, that purpose being to further the plot and to expand and add detail to the characters. It was quite masterfully done.

Abrams action scenes served 0 purpose. They were input into the film to make the audience go 'ohhhh' 'ahhhhh' 'ooooooo'.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
I don't have a lot of hope for the new SW directed by Abrams.

He ruined Star Trek with his awful reboot. Star Trek was never about dramatic over the top action scenes. ST is more like chess is space, with intriguing characters and a ton of science revolving around it all.

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of action in ST. Take DS9 for example, it had tons of action. But the action had a purpose, that purpose being to further the plot and to expand and add detail to the characters. It was quite masterfully done.

Abrams action scenes served 0 purpose. They were input into the film to make the audience go 'ohhhh' 'ahhhhh' 'ooooooo'.
I wasn't a fan of Star Trek until this reboot, I found it boring (I didn't give it much of a chance however), but this reboot has made me a fan because of its higher pace and more action. Chess in space won't sell in today's world, people will just get bored and leave. So the no purpose action parts will make them stay and make the studio money.

This version is probably a lot different than the older ones, but Abarams brought a dead franchise back to life and made new a lot of people new fans of the franchise with his changes, so the franchise lasts another 40 years.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I wasn't a fan of Star Trek until this reboot, I found it boring (I didn't give it much of a chance however), but this reboot has made me a fan because of its higher pace and more action.
I get what you're saying, but I'd like to gently suggest that you're not really a fan of Star Trek, but more a fan of that film or, broadly, that style of film. The recent reboot is hardly Trek at all. I think that, and I hate to sound like a fan nerd, in order to really be a fan of Star Trek, you have to have an appreciation for the universe, themes and pacing that Gene Roddenberry created half a century ago. He didn't create it all merely to serve as entertainment, as a vehicle for lots of action. He created it all to explore themes relating to humanity and get people thinking. Yes, it was also meant to be entertaining, but not at the expense of nobler goals. When you take away the themes and the brain stimulation and you're left with pretty much only entertainment, as the reboot was, you don't really have Star Trek anymore, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello
Chess in space won't sell in today's world, people will just get bored and leave. So the no purpose action parts will make them stay and make the studio money.
I think that "chess in space" will sell if it's done well. The problem is that that's a lot harder to do well than wall-to-wall action. You can have 120 minutes of one space battle or car chase after another and you'll keep a lot of people interested, but taking away all of that and having a dialogue-driven 120-minute movie, for example, is significantly harder. Anybody can write one action scene after another, but a really good screenwriter is needed to pull off a movie which doesn't rely on that. Non-action parts that are boring are the fault of mediocre-to-average screenwriters (and, maybe, the directors).

"Chess in space" doesn't mean boring or no action. Cold War movies aren't boring. Suspense can be highly entertaining. I think that Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is a perfect example of "chess in space." Each "move" was an action piece, but each was short, sweet and had a purpose, and the time between each was filled with suspense. ST6 did very well in theaters and with non-Trek fans.

Yes, there will be some people who get bored if there isn't wall-to-wall action. On the other hand, though, there are people who will stay home if that's not their cup of tea. I had seen every Star Trek movie except the very first one (too young) in the theater until the reboot came out, so that's $10 that the studio lost. I also own every movie until the reboot on DVD, so that's another $10-20 lost. There are new "fans" to make up for me, yes, but the point is that going all-action isn't a win-win; there are lost customers, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello
This version is probably a lot different than the older ones, but Abarams brought a dead franchise back to life and made new a lot of people new fans of the franchise with his changes, so the franchise lasts another 40 years.
Abrams didn't really bring a dead franchise back to life, IMO. It's more like he ran electricity through the corpse to make it appear to be alive. There's animation, but no real substance. Maybe if it had been based around new characters and settings, there'd be something to build around, to sculpt a new generation of Trek, but we're just rehashing the old generation with a new style, so there's really nowhere to go but more rehashing. You might get away with that if you're adding substance where it was lacking before (ex. Battlestar Galactica), but we're talking about taking substance away and replacing it with style, which are empty calories.

At least with Star Wars, it'll have to be about new characters in new settings, so it won't be a rehash. I don't know how good it'll be, but it should be something different to build a new generation of Star Wars on.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:42 PM
awesomo
HARD!

how do the hardcore nerds react to having the same producer make both movies

Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I get what you're saying, but I'd like to gently suggest that you're not really a fan of Star Trek, but more a fan of that film or, broadly, that style of film. The recent reboot is hardly Trek at all. I think that, and I hate to sound like a fan nerd, in order to really be a fan of Star Trek, you have to have an appreciation for the universe, themes and pacing that Gene Roddenberry created half a century ago. He didn't create it all merely to serve as entertainment, as a vehicle for lots of action. He created it all to explore themes relating to humanity and get people thinking. Yes, it was also meant to be entertaining, but not at the expense of nobler goals. When you take away the themes and the brain stimulation and you're left with pretty much only entertainment, as the reboot was, you don't really have Star Trek anymore, IMO.

I think that "chess in space" will sell if it's done well. The problem is that that's a lot harder to do well than wall-to-wall action. You can have 120 minutes of one space battle or car chase after another and you'll keep a lot of people interested, but taking away all of that and having a dialogue-driven 120-minute movie, for example, is significantly harder. Anybody can write one action scene after another, but a really good screenwriter is needed to pull off a movie which doesn't rely on that. Non-action parts that are boring are the fault of mediocre-to-average screenwriters (and, maybe, the directors).

"Chess in space" doesn't mean boring or no action. Cold War movies aren't boring. Suspense can be highly entertaining. I think that Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is a perfect example of "chess in space." Each "move" was an action piece, but each was short, sweet and had a purpose, and the time between each was filled with suspense. ST6 did very well in theaters and with non-Trek fans.

Yes, there will be some people who get bored if there isn't wall-to-wall action. On the other hand, though, there are people who will stay home if that's not their cup of tea. I had seen every Star Trek movie except the very first one (too young) in the theater until the reboot came out, so that's $10 that the studio lost. I also own every movie until the reboot on DVD, so that's another $10-20 lost. There are new "fans" to make up for me, yes, but the point is that going all-action isn't a win-win; there are lost customers, too.

Abrams didn't really bring a dead franchise back to life, IMO. It's more like he ran electricity through the corpse to make it appear to be alive. There's animation, but no real substance. Maybe if it had been based around new characters and settings, there'd be something to build around, to sculpt a new generation of Trek, but we're just rehashing the old generation with a new style, so there's really nowhere to go but more rehashing. You might get away with that if you're adding substance where it was lacking before (ex. Battlestar Galactica), but we're talking about taking substance away and replacing it with style, which are empty calories.

At least with Star Wars, it'll have to be about new characters in new settings, so it won't be a rehash. I don't know how good it'll be, but it should be something different to build a new generation of Star Wars on.
That depends entirely on how far into the expanded universe JJ is going to go with Episode VII. If he picks it up relatively soon after Jedi, he can't avoid recasting Luke Skywalker, Leia, and Han Solo.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:51 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I wasn't a fan of Star Trek until this reboot, I found it boring (I didn't give it much of a chance however), but this reboot has made me a fan because of its higher pace and more action. Chess in space won't sell in today's world, people will just get bored and leave. So the no purpose action parts will make them stay and make the studio money.

In addition to what Osprey said you're really overstating things here. Gene Roddenberry launched a 40 year franchise that created it's own culture, 5 TV (I think?) series over 4 decades with hundreds of episodes, and numerous movies. You can toss in a number of books and movies as well.

Not to discredit Abrams but all he did was take an existing cherished IP with a lot of history behind it and created a big budget movie for the summer blockbuster crowd. This isn't the type of audience that will create a lasting culture around the series though, as the group attention span will last only as long as till the next flashy blockbuster hits the screens. The movie was good but easily forgettable.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:27 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
In addition to what Osprey said you're really overstating things here. Gene Roddenberry launched a 40 year franchise that created it's own culture, 5 TV (I think?) series over 4 decades with hundreds of episodes, and numerous movies. You can toss in a number of books and movies as well.

Not to discredit Abrams but all he did was take an existing cherished IP with a lot of history behind it and created a big budget movie for the summer blockbuster crowd. This isn't the type of audience that will create a lasting culture around the series though, as the group attention span will last only as long as till the next flashy blockbuster hits the screens. The movie was good but easily forgettable.
I find these points always so funny because the most popular of the Star Trek films were all the most action oriented.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:09 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I find these points always so funny because the most popular of the Star Trek films were all the most action oriented.
And that much of the best Star Trek happened without Gene's direct involvement, such as Star Trek II, the middle seasons of Star Trek: TNG, and all of DS9.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Habsfunk

I would have preferred Brad Bird to direct. He's proven able to direct family-friendly action movies enjoyable to everyone (The Incredibles) and he can do big action movies too (MI4). I think he would have done a good job creating a kid-friendly Star Wars without dumbing it down for the older crowds and uber-geeks.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
I would have preferred Brad Bird to direct. He's proven able to direct family-friendly action movies enjoyable to everyone (The Incredibles) and he can do big action movies too (MI4). I think he would have done a good job creating a kid-friendly Star Wars without dumbing it down for the older crowds and uber-geeks.
That's part of the problem. Kid friendly was the core of Episode I, and in a lot of ways some of the prequels.

If you want to keep it alive, it needs to get beyond campy, and get a bit more gritty and action packed.

Sure, there was a bit of camp in the originals, but there was also a bit of suspense (at least the first time or two) in whether or not they were going to make it. You knew they would, but it wasn't a forgone conclusion. The Vader Cloud City fight sequence is one that comes to mind. You can have a bit of grit and it doesn't have to be campy all the time.

Closed Thread