HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Oxide

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomov76 View Post
I'm guessing Hamill, Fisher, Ford would be more background - yet important - roles allowing for the proverbial passing of the torch. Hamill for instance taking more of an Ep.IV Obi-Wan type role.
I wouldn't mind that at all.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would, since the timeline between Return of the Jedi to the the main characters' deaths are one of the more interesting ones in the canon.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Freedomov76

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I would, since the timeline between Return of the Jedi to the the main characters' deaths are one of the more interesting ones in the canon.
And that's one of the things I'm most curious about - how all the existing material is treated. I've only read the Zahn trilogy and I think two other novels taking place post-Jedi so I don't know a ton of the EU but it will be interesting to see how much 'canon' is respected, rewritten or flat out ignored to fit the new movies. I don't know about their deaths in the EU but I'd like to see the main characters returning, even if it is only to see them killed off. I think it would be remiss to have them completely ignored or only mentioned in dialogue.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
George Lucas doesn't do canon.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomov76 View Post
I'm guessing Hamill, Fisher, Ford would be more background - yet important - roles allowing for the proverbial passing of the torch. Hamill for instance taking more of an Ep.IV Obi-Wan type role.
I can easily see them playing older versions of themselves, it wouldn't be hard to create a look or role for them. "Admiral Solo"... They wouldn't have to be the main focus in the story, but integral supporting characters.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Oxide

I remember reading somewhere that Disney said they are going with original material and won't be using the books at all.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:27 AM
MadDevil

I think they would have been better off just saying they were going to be releasing new Star Wars movies instead of announcing that Episode VII will be the next movie. They could have gone any number of ways with the films without having to worry about continuity with the first six films. They could have jumped back a thousand years into the Old Republic era, or could have even gone between the trilogies. They can still do it with the stand alone films, but I think they kind of painted themselves into a corner with Episode VII.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:06 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
That's because every writer that gets to pick up the story and create 'canon' will want to start where the movies immediately left off. It would be very easy to create a new timeline where with the Rebellion victorious and the New Republic created the Empire has limped off to their own corner of the galaxy to lick it's wounds. Where you had a relatively uneventful cold war that's been brewing for the last 20 years and is now ready to erupt just in time for the new movies. After all at the battle of Endor the rebellion killed the heart of the Empire but their remaining fleet was still formidable, if they retreated and fortified it's not like the New Republic would have had the firepower to go in and mop up any remnants.

And on the Jedi front there also doesn't need to be any drama as Luke starts resurrecting the order. And if you wanted to fill in the gap they could probably make a decent Harry Potter-ish spinoff animated series about the young Jedi Academy.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:39 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

That's the only thing I fear about the new movies..completely throwing out the entire expanded universe in the books.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:44 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
That's the only thing I fear about the new movies..completely throwing out the entire expanded universe in the books.
I'm a huge EU fan (I've ready pretty much every Star Wars book out there) but I could really care less about continuity between the new movies and the EU. I want the best story the writers can come up with. If that means killing off characters, or timelines not matching up, or a story that doesn't have anything to do with the EU, so be it. I just want Star Wars movies that are fun and entertaining again.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:56 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Well it already happened once when the prequel trilogy came out. Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy was based on a lot of elements from the Clone Wars that Luke mentions off hand in the first movie, and the way he portrayed it was completely contradicted when George Lucas got around to making the movies.

Or in the next book Trilogy the Jedi Academy I believe they have a world where forced conscripts are brainwashed and trained to become storm troopers, yet post-prequel trilogy EU now has the storm troopers being faster grown & less trained bargain bin clones?

At some point you just have to accept that while enjoyable the EU is a mess of contradictions.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:46 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Well it already happened once when the prequel trilogy came out. Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy was based on a lot of elements from the Clone Wars that Luke mentions off hand in the first movie, and the way he portrayed it was completely contradicted when George Lucas got around to making the movies.

Or in the next book Trilogy the Jedi Academy I believe they have a world where forced conscripts are brainwashed and trained to become storm troopers, yet post-prequel trilogy EU now has the storm troopers being faster grown & less trained bargain bin clones?

At some point you just have to accept that while enjoyable the EU is a mess of contradictions.
This. Star Wars EU isn't that much different from great comic book franchises. Superman or Batman aren't really "canon", there are a lot of versions that contradict themselves. Same for Star Wars. As long as the episode 1 through 9 "fit", I don't care about contradictions.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
I remember in the X-Wing series the antagonist Imperial officer (can't remember his name,) mentioned how stormtroopers were disposable, something to the effect that there must be a factory that churns them out. Then in the Thrawn trilogy Palleon said that they were becoming a rare commodity.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:40 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
I remember in the X-Wing series the antagonist Imperial officer (can't remember his name,) mentioned how stormtroopers were disposable, something to the effect that there must be a factory that churns them out. Then in the Thrawn trilogy Palleon said that they were becoming a rare commodity.
But in the next trilogy a young man with great potential powers in the force who becomes Luke's protege, I think Han picked him up in the Kessel spice mines or something, who struggles with the dark side over his brother who got conscripted into the storm troopers. Eventually he steals a more personalized sized Imperial super weapon ship (somewhere between an X-wing and Millennium Falcon in size, completely invulnerable, equipped with torpedo's capable of causing super nova's) and goes on a rampage en route to the planet where the/a Storm Trooper training facility is located. Considering the difficulty of finding a name among a number they just tell him he's dead and hopes he'll go away, he goes on a darkside rage and fires the super weapon, then they say no wait we found your brother he's right here, he flies back to the planet to rescue him but just as he finally see's him again the Super Nova blast comes in and wipes everything out. Except for him of course since he's in an everything proof doomsday ship.

Well that's the abridged version at least going by what I can remember reading it 15-20 years ago . Point is there was a factory for creating storm troopers, and there was no mention of cloning. With the Empire on the run and resources cut short it would make sense from Zahn's perspective at the time that Storm Troopers were running low in supply.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
But in the next trilogy a young man with great potential powers in the force who becomes Luke's protege, I think Han picked him up in the Kessel spice mines or something, who struggles with the dark side over his brother who got conscripted into the storm troopers. Eventually he steals a more personalized sized Imperial super weapon ship (somewhere between an X-wing and Millennium Falcon in size, completely invulnerable, equipped with torpedo's capable of causing super nova's) and goes on a rampage en route to the planet where the/a Storm Trooper training facility is located. Considering the difficulty of finding a name among a number they just tell him he's dead and hopes he'll go away, he goes on a darkside rage and fires the super weapon, then they say no wait we found your brother he's right here, he flies back to the planet to rescue him but just as he finally see's him again the Super Nova blast comes in and wipes everything out. Except for him of course since he's in an everything proof doomsday ship.

Well that's the abridged version at least going by what I can remember reading it 15-20 years ago . Point is there was a factory for creating storm troopers, and there was no mention of cloning. With the Empire on the run and resources cut short it would make sense from Zahn's perspective at the time that Storm Troopers were running low in supply.
Kip Durron, who actually became a good character in NJO, but man, Kevin J. Anderson...ugh.

But yeah, I don't get the obsession with canon. I think Couresant had mountains, etc...before the prequals came out.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I'm a huge EU fan (I've ready pretty much every Star Wars book out there) but I could really care less about continuity between the new movies and the EU. I want the best story the writers can come up with. If that means killing off characters, or timelines not matching up, or a story that doesn't have anything to do with the EU, so be it. I just want Star Wars movies that are fun and entertaining again.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
This. Star Wars EU isn't that much different from great comic book franchises. Superman or Batman aren't really "canon", there are a lot of versions that contradict themselves. Same for Star Wars. As long as the episode 1 through 9 "fit", I don't care about contradictions.
That's all true of course. I do want enjoyable Star Wars movies again.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

The whole series is about Skywalkers. The redemption and fall of them. There's no way they do a new trilogy without them being the central plot point.

It wouldn't be Star Wars.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...d-episode-vii/

Lame.

Quote:
George Lucas Reveals He Signed Hamill, Ford, Fisher for Star Wars: Episode VII

Old
03-08-2013, 02:10 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I simply cannot see this

and this

and this

as the stars of a 100 million+ dollar movie franchise. I don't see it. While I have no doubt they will have some role, not starring roles, IMO.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-08-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old
03-08-2013, 07:19 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Ford at least doesn't look that bad. Either way, I'm sure they'll kill him off quickly.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:27 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Come on, you don't kill Han Solo off!

Old
03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

No way they'll be the main characters.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Hit the gym with a top rate personal trainer and eat right and you can look good in 6 months.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Peter Griffin

My guess is that there will be CGI work done to make Hamill, Fisher and Ford look younger, much like they did with Jeff Bridges in the Tron remake.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...ba1f1966000014
New Star Wars Movies Will Hit Every Summer Beginning in 2015
New trilogy will alternate with standalone films.

Quote:

At the CinemaCon event in Las Vegas today, Disney and Lucasfilm revealed that beginning in 2015 with Star Wars: Episode VII, a new film set in the galaxy created by George Lucas will be released each summer

J.J. Abrams' Episode VII will come first in the summer of 2015 and will be followed every summer after with another new Star Wars movie, alternating between the standalone films we've heard about and the new trilogy that begins with Episode VII.

Wow.

As for what those standalone films will be -- among the rumored projects have been a Yoda flick, young Han Solo adventures, and my favorite, a Seven Samurai-type Jedi film -- we still don't know. But, of course, more on this when we have it…

Closed Thread