HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
This video is in 7 parts(this is part 1/7), but it's definitely worth watching. While they do attempt a lot of humor in this video he is spot on with many points. Especially how the plot makes no sense.

In his review for Clone Wars he brings up a good point about the overuse of the lightSabre in the newer films. The lightSabre was badass in the old films because it was rarely used and you were excited once it was busted out.

The most important point brought up is how we are not at all emotionally connected to the characters in the new trilogy. That was the biggest problem with the films.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:23 PM
SPMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
You do realize he will be the Creative Consultant right?
let him consult and do the opposite of what he says

Old
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
This thread is hilarious. You realize a Disney bought and financed Marvel Studios just churned out the best selling and universally beloved comic book film in The Avengers, right? Marvel Studios was spinning its wheels until Disney stepped in and bought the thing. Disney was financially behind the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This is FANTASTIC news for Star Wars fans. Disney has a bank account that has an infinity symbol next to it. Everything they touch turns to gold. And without Lucas retaining totalitarian creative control, we actually may see some good Star Wars live action films again. Disney has the money and creative talent to do TONS with this franchise. Very exciting.
Nonsense.

The Marvel Cinematic universe was doing fine and well into production before Disney had anything to do with Marvel.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Osprey

Getting Star Wars out of Lucas' hands is what we all wanted, but giving it to Disney doesn't quite sit right. They're going to want to churn out Star Wars movies every few years like they've been churning out Pirates of the Caribbean, and the last few of those were pretty "meh." Do we really want Jerry Bruckheimer doing Star Wars? This could turn out well or it could turn out poorly. I think that there are enough pros and cons on each side so that being disgusted or being thrilled doesn't make much sense. Being somewhere between skeptical and cautiously optimistic makes more sense, IMO.

On the bright side, maybe Disney will be kinder to fans by maintaining and periodically releasing the theatrical versions of the original trilogy on home video. If they would just do that, it'd be a lot easier to tolerate more movies.

The thing that hardly anyone is talking about is that Disney also gets the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise. That, on its own, would've been a huge story, but since they announced new Star Wars movies at the same time, that's the story, instead. They'll no doubt tap that eventually, but maybe not until they and audiences adjust to new Star Wars movies.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-30-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
at one of the conventions over here there was a stand up who did about 20 minutes of bashing Lucas and did a funny skit on how Lucas spent years working on the special affects for the movies, but let his youngest child write the screen play when he was home sick with the flue and high on night nurse

if I find the youtube clip I will post it

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

the thing that people are underestimating is the use of Star Wars and IJ in the Disney Parks. They already have Star Tours, a 3D simulator, in a few parks and various IJ shows and rides across properties. The potential of a Star Wars land is very intriguing. The possibility of eating at the Mos Eisley cantina would make my head explode. The ride options would be endless. We have seen what a popular franchise in Harry Potter has done for Universal Orlando. Imagine what would happen with a experience from the premier theme park company and something from the biggest pop culture phenomenon of all time.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
Honestly, having him on as a creative consultant isn't a terrible idea. I think one of the things Plinkett mentioned in his reviews was that a reason the original trilogy was so good was that Lucas was tempered by the studios when his ideas got out of hand. It could work in a similar situation here. Have him has an idea man, make use of what is good and temper what isn't.

As much as everyone (including myself) immediately jumped on this deal, it's actually could be one of the better things that could happen to the franchise. Take full control out of Lucas' hands.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Getting Star Wars out of Lucas' hands is what we all wanted, but giving it to Disney doesn't quite sit right.
I realize this isn't an actual movie but Walt Disney World and Disneyland both have the Star Tours attraction ride and it was renovated last year into a 3D ride with a different adventure you can go on. Anyway personally speaking I think they did a great job with the characters used on there.

Plus they also have a Jedi Training Academy for kids up to 12 years old where they can take on Darth Vader.

Finally every weekend in May at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World is Star Wars weekends where they bring back actors who played various characters in the movie and do movies for the Clone Wars show.

So it's not like Disney is brand new to Star Wars because for years they have done other things with it and George Lucas was involved.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
You do realize he will be the Creative Consultant right?
That doesn't mean he has the last say in everything ****ING RIGHT? Or do you not undestand that?

The Star Wars movies weren't for kids and I'm pretty sure this is going to end terribadly.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
That doesn't mean he has the last say in everything ****ING RIGHT? Or do you not undestand that?

The Star Wars movies weren't for kids and I'm pretty sure this is going to end terribadly.
There's nowhere to go but up at this point

And who's to say they'll aim for kids. They could just as easily pull an Avengers and toss it to someone like Whedon and aim for an older audience. It'd be a smart move to try to loop in the kids, who'll go for anything Star Wars related, and to attempt to loop in the audience that has been so vocal and so shunned in the past.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Getting Star Wars out of Lucas' hands is what we all wanted, but giving it to Disney doesn't quite sit right. They're going to want to churn out Star Wars movies every few years like they've been churning out Pirates of the Caribbean, and the last few of those were pretty "meh." Do we really want Jerry Bruckheimer doing Star Wars? This could turn out well or it could turn out poorly. I think that there are enough pros and cons on each side so that being disgusted or being thrilled doesn't make much sense. Being somewhere between skeptical and cautiously optimistic makes more sense, IMO.

On the bright side, maybe Disney will be kinder to fans by maintaining and periodically releasing the theatrical versions of the original trilogy on home video. If they would just do that, it'd be a lot easier to tolerate more movies.

The thing that hardly anyone is talking about is that Disney also gets the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise. That, on its own, would've been a huge story, but since they announced new Star Wars movies at the same time, that's the story, instead. They'll no doubt tap that eventually, but maybe not until they and audiences adjust to new Star Wars movies.
I don't necessarily think Disney will come out with new Star Wars movies every few years. It's probable that they finish the 9-part original story (ie they make Epsiodes VII through IX), but after I'm not sure where they'll go with it.

10-30-2012, 08:27 PM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

SW came out when I was four, and I've always loved it. Been part of my whole life. I could be pissed off and grouchy about this, but instead I'll join Camp Cautious Optimism.

Why? Because Lucas is old and busted, and wasn't going to give us more anyway. I selfishly *want* to see more, and my sons are growing up on the films too. (all six)

So I'll give Disney the benefit of the doubt until they **** up badly. Besides, like a few others in here I was a fan of the Battlefront games and would love to play a third release should they develop one.

Shocking news, but I'm excited to see where it goes!

Old
10-30-2012, 08:27 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I'll wait until the 1st movie is released or some better details. Otherwise, it's just the same with Hollywood riding old ideas with reboots/sequels.

Disney will take a ton heat if they release garbage under the Star Wars brand so let's see.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:31 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Honestly, having him on as a creative consultant isn't a terrible idea. I think one of the things Plinkett mentioned in his reviews was that a reason the original trilogy was so good was that Lucas was tempered by the studios when his ideas got out of hand. It could work in a similar situation here. Have him has an idea man, make use of what is good and temper what isn't.

As much as everyone (including myself) immediately jumped on this deal, it's actually could be one of the better things that could happen to the franchise. Take full control out of Lucas' hands.
This. Lucas has/had a lot of good ideas, but he is a terrible writer. The universe he created is great and some of the ideas he had for the prequel trilogy weren't as bad as some think, but the storytelling isn't well done. Let Lucas come with the framework of the stories, but don't leave him complete control. The problem with Lucas since 1990 is that he was surrounded by "yes men". Nobody wanted to challenge him like his ex-wife use to do. I heard somewhere (don't remember where) that his ex-wife is the one that controlled him while he was doing the original trilogy. So the solution seems obvious to me: Hire some people who know how to tell a story and let George have fun creating new aliens and stuff like that.

Having him as a consultant is great, especially if a REAL director directs and if a REAL storyteller writes the screenplay. Having the creator giving you some imput can't be a bad thing. Lucas has weaknesses and those can be "bypassed" now that he isn't in control. Like I said previously, I won't be sold to - or drawn away from - the project until I learn who writes and who directs. But having GL has a consultant is a good thing to me.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I don't necessarily think Disney will come out with new Star Wars movies every few years. It's probable that they finish the 9-part original story (ie they make Epsiodes VII through IX), but after I'm not sure where they'll go with it.
Disney, themselves, said that they would, that they want to release more Star Wars movies (after the initial 3) every couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
The seventh movie, with a working title of “Episode 7,” is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The trilogy will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond “Return of the Jedi,” the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new “Star Wars” movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...76a_story.html

Old
10-30-2012, 08:34 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Wonder how many more they will do as the hollywood reporter article states the first in 2015 and one every 2-3 years following that. On top of that something new on TV also....ugh.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:34 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
After episodes VII through IX, they will milk the franchise in the same way Lucas did. We will see new animated series, comic books, books and toys for sure. Might even see a live action TV series and more live action films.

I'd personally love some Old Republic-time movies. Doing films about the Mandolorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War and the Exile could be freakin' great.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Protest the Hero

Just because it's Disney they're going to turn them into kids movies? Who were annoying young Anakin, and Jar Jar Binks made for?

Lucas is a hack, he was already targeting a younger audience with them, even going back to change thing(Han doesn't shoot first, ta-da) because they were too dark.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Just because it's Disney they're going to turn them into kids movies? Who were annoying young Anakin, and Jar Jar Binks made for?

Lucas is a hack, he was already targeting a younger audience with them, even going back to change thing(Han doesn't shoot first, ta-da) because they were too dark.
People who think Disney is only involved in kid's movies may want to look up a list of Disney movies. Apocalypto wasn't exactly a G movie.

Edit: Not particularly targeted at you or anyone. I'm just saying that Disney does produce movies for people older than 10. The main objection I've been seeing all over the place is that it will be turned into the Adventures of Jar Jar or something. That's not impossible, of course, but it's not guaranteed.

10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Disney, themselves, said that they would, that they want to release more Star Wars movies (after the initial 3) every couple of years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...76a_story.html
Well... ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
After episodes VII through IX, they will milk the franchise in the same way Lucas did. We will see new animated series, comic books, books and toys for sure. Might even see a live action TV series and more live action films.

I'd personally love some Old Republic-time movies. Doing films about the Mandolorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War and the Exile could be freakin' great.
I don't necessarily put those things on the same level as the movies. The movies are, and always will be, the core of the franchise - when you think Star Wars you think the movies. As long as they nail the movies, I'm okay with Disney taking over.

I agree that there are some interesting eras Lucas created that you could craft a decent movie out of, I just don't think they'd necessarily fit into the Star Wars movie franchise (in the sense that the prequels were all directly tied into the O3 by creating background for the common characters).

Old
10-30-2012, 09:33 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
I wont start a new thread but who would you have play

Hans Solo
Luke Skywalker
Lei

obviously the other actors are too old and in the case of Ford he wanted to Kill solo off

Old
10-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
What could they possibly make a 7th movie about? How the rebels took over Coruscant and the formation of the New Republic? Honestly, I think a movie set in the Old Republic setting would be cool. Just get new writers and get a respectable director to make it. Make it more adult oriented and don't let George Lucas have any say.
Well it was always supposed to be 9 movies.

Movies 7 - 9 were supposed to be about Han & Leia's twin children who were mentored by Luke. It supposedly was also about the reconstruction of the Republic and wiping away the remnants of the Empire.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
People who think Disney is only involved in kid's movies may want to look up a list of Disney movies. Apocalypto wasn't exactly a G movie.

Edit: Not particularly targeted at you or anyone. I'm just saying that Disney does produce movies for people older than 10. The main objection I've been seeing all over the place is that it will be turned into the Adventures of Jar Jar or something. That's not impossible, of course, but it's not guaranteed.
Heh, I knew what you were getting at, totally agree. I wonder who they'd get to direct, Joss Whedon has expressed his love of Star Wars in the past, not to mention Firefly, but he'll be busy with Avengers. Brad Bird would be great, he's already one of my favourite directors, and he has Hollywood experience with Mission Impossible now.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I wont start a new thread but who would you have play

Hans Solo
Luke Skywalker
Lei

obviously the other actors are too old and in the case of Ford he wanted to Kill solo off
Ford wanted to do other stuff and didn't want to be typecast. I could see him coming back after all this time. They wouldn't be too old in a mentor capacity. Hamill doesn't have much going on. Fisher may not make the cut.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:07 PM
KISSland

Never been a fan of star wars.

Closed Thread