HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 07:39 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Star Wars is a massive property with a still seemingly unending potential for TV, movies, books, etc.

I think the new owners at some point will produce some things that fans don't like. But I also think they'll wind up putting out some stuff better than Lucas himself did his last few times behind the camera.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
Who the hell do you think the original star wars was intended for? Do you forget that easily? Watch some documentaries on the release of the first movie and look at the crowds. Look at all the kids. The first Star Wars was a kid movie. Empire Strikes Back wasn't, as it was more mature and dark. Hence why it did worse than the others at the box office. Return of the Jedi also was a kid movie with the ewoks.

It angers me to see people being so blind as to what the OT actually was. The difference between the OT and the prequels is that the OT was so well made that it became interesting to adults too. While the prequels, ep 1 in particular, was only for kids and the story was boring and didn't appeal as much to adults.

Nostalgia is strong. And people forget a few things because of nostalgia.
I saw the original Star Wars in the theater on my 11th birthday. FWIW. I collected a lot of the stuff that came after - not a bunch of the toys and figures, but stuff like the board game, lunch box and the like. Although I don't have much of it anymore save for the trading cards.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:52 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I wonder if they are using Lucas' ideas for parts 7-9 (I heard he originally had 3 trilogies).

I love Disney, so I'll give them a chance.

It's not like Lucas didn't ruin Star Wars himself with Attack of the Clones

Disney made the Avengers and John Carter. Both very fun films, with plenty of action. I'm not sure where the hate is coming from. I'd rather Disney take a shot to capture the original feeling than Lucas doing another trilogy as bad as his most recent.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:55 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Who the hell do you think the original star wars was intended for? Do you forget that easily? Watch some documentaries on the release of the first movie and look at the crowds. Look at all the kids. The first Star Wars was a kid movie.
No! Lucas spun that "it was only a kids movie" schlock after the prequels got received so poorly (*) and it was obvious he couldn't make a good movie any more. Star Wars was an all ages movie. It didn't insult the intelligence of the adults in the audience the way the prequels did.

(*) - Yes the prequels still made a ton of money but nobody could deny they were badly written, badly acted, badly directed, and so chock-full of CGI it was like Lucas was getting off on how much he could stuff into every shot.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:57 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Nathan Fillion for Han Solo?

Old
10-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Protest the Hero

Have people not payed attention to Disney since the 1920s or something?

Hell, the old Disney movies have darker, and smarter storylines than a lot of 'mature' movies today.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:42 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
No! Lucas spun that "it was only a kids movie" schlock after the prequels got received so poorly (*) and it was obvious he couldn't make a good movie any more. Star Wars was an all ages movie. It didn't insult the intelligence of the adults in the audience the way the prequels did.

(*) - Yes the prequels still made a ton of money but nobody could deny they were badly written, badly acted, badly directed, and so chock-full of CGI it was like Lucas was getting off on how much he could stuff into every shot.
There's no such things as an all-ages movie. An "all-ages" film is just a good kids film.

And no, Star Wars was extensively marketed to kids with toys, tv specials and in their advertising. I am neither a huge fan nor was alive in the 70's, and I still know that.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I find it funny that people always think that Disney will ruin something. Yet they some how managed to make dozens of top notch movies over the years which many appeal to both kids and adults.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:52 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
So I told my younger step brother (he is 18) about this and he told me he has never seen any of the 6 films. This blew me away, haha. I only ever saw the original 3 and then Part 1.

Would it be best to tell him to watch them 1-6? Or watch them in release order? Or just watch the original 3 and pretend the others didn't happen?
4-5-1-2-3-6. Flashback style. You treat 4 and 5 as the first parts, then the giant flashback since you know Vader is Luke's father and get to see how he got to that point, then you finish with the end.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
There's no such things as an all-ages movie. An "all-ages" film is just a good kids film.

And no, Star Wars was extensively marketed to kids with toys, tv specials and in their advertising. I am neither a huge fan nor was alive in the 70's, and I still know that.
What, there is such a thing as all ages film.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:01 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

Not necessarily. Sure they come off as "kids films" but a lot of these movies when you watch them years later you see a lot of different small things (lines, jokes, etc) in there that only adults understand and kids think of in a different way. Also the plots in those movies can also be seen by adults in a different way as it relates to their life experiences differently. It's actually quite interesting. Disney and Pixar have been doing it for years.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 10-31-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old
10-31-2012, 09:27 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Have people not payed attention to Disney since the 1920s or something?

Hell, the old Disney movies have darker, and smarter storylines than a lot of 'mature' movies today.
To a certain extent sure, but the original versions of these classic fairy tales were downright morbid.

Last edited by SB164: 10-31-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
sully1410

This movie screams having Dash Rendar as a main character.

Also to whoever said Nathan Fillion as Han Solo...your my new hero.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Acadmus

My initial reaction is to be mortified at this development.

But I'm sure over time my reason will take over and argue "well, Disney can't do any worse than Lucas himself did with that last trilogy"

10-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Never been a fan of star wars.
Well thanks for reminding us that you exist!

Old
10-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Perfect.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Still don't know what to think regarding this. I know it'll make money which is the only thing Disney cares about but, it should have ended after Revenge of the Sith. They can use LucasArts all they want just stay away from the Star Wars films.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
nickp91

Disney also owns ESPN so Monday Night Football can now open with the Star Wars theme

Old
10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
please no. I love fillion but I love ford more.

10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
The entire movie I would just be thinking, why is Mal from Firefly being called Han?

Firefly has a huge cult following. To play another iconic character within the same genre just seems weird.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:20 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Well Harrison won't play Han Solo for 2 reasons

1. He is getting old

2. He hated playing Han Solo

Old
10-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford better be in it, have them fill the obi-wan role in episode 4 ( older, wise) and I'll have hope. Han and Leias have two kids both mentored by Luke and have one turn evil or something.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford better be in it, have them fill the obi-wan role in episode 4 ( older, wise) and I'll have hope. Han and Leias have two kids both mentored by Luke and have one turn evil or something.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I can understand some of the hate for Lucas... ruined the franchise, ect. He created it though. Fought tooth and nail with the studio to get it done. He was at one point a visionary genius. Set the tone for how special effects would be done in the future

The prequels were not received as well. Nothing could live up to the original but the story was not as good, hence the reason he started at IV. Everyone knew what was going to happen for the most part. My biggest complaint is the artistic license he took with the originals.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
People are affraid Disney will make Star Wars movies for kids and talk about the original trilogy.

Who the hell do you think the original star wars was intended for? Do you forget that easily? Watch some documentaries on the release of the first movie and look at the crowds. Look at all the kids. The first Star Wars was a kid movie. Empire Strikes Back wasn't, as it was more mature and dark. Hence why it did worse than the others at the box office. Return of the Jedi also was a kid movie with the ewoks.

It angers me to see people being so blind as to what the OT actually was. The difference between the OT and the prequels is that the OT was so well made that it became interesting to adults too. While the prequels, ep 1 in particular, was only for kids and the story was boring and didn't appeal as much to adults.

Nostalgia is strong. And people forget a few things because of nostalgia.
You're delusional just because there was toys doesn't mean it was intended just for kids. You do realize the fast majority of toy collectors are above the age of 25 with disposable income right? But yes Torture, drugs and slaves. Definitely a kids movie.

Also the latest Indiana Jones movie was easily the worst of them all and I pray to all that is holy that we don't see Shia Labeouf in another one.

Closed Thread