HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I can understand some of the hate for Lucas... ruined the franchise, ect. He created it though. Fought tooth and nail with the studio to get it done. He was at one point a visionary genius. Set the tone for how special effects would be done in the future

The prequels were not received as well. Nothing could live up to the original but the story was not as good, hence the reason he started at IV. Everyone knew what was going to happen for the most part. My biggest complaint is the artistic license he took with the originals.
The guy was too enamored with special effects, I think this is one of those instances where technical limitations led to creativity. Once he was able to basically 'make' anything with CGI, there was nothing to keep him in check. Also, he's a terrible writer, I don't think Hayden is a great actor, but nobody could have made those lines sound good. He turned his own badass character Darth Vader, into a whiny, angsty teenager crying over girl problems.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Ceremony
There is Only You

vCash: 19397
The special effects in the prequel trilogy looked less convincing than the effects in the original.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
10-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

New Star Wars movie Every 2 years (Like the Bond movies)

Quote:
There was more to yesterday’s announcement that Disney purchased Lucasfilm than the hefty price tag ($4 billion). The simultaneous announcement that a new Star Wars film is in the works for 2015 was a huge surprise for many fans, as was the revelation that George Lucas has prepared treatments for this film and two more (Episodes 7, 8, and 9). Disney also suggested that it’s their intention to continue releasing new Star Wars films every two years, well into the future. This is a fairly radical development for the big screen life of the franchise, which has been dormant since 2005’s Revenge of the Sith—with no apparent plans for the future.

This new approach suggests that Star Wars may continue in the spirit of the Bond films, with a revolving door of directors, writers, and actors. Of course, given the fantastical nature of the Star Wars world—almost everything onscreen is part of an elaborate mythology of Lucas’ making—the specificity of the characters, and the serialized nature of the storytelling, Star Wars seems to require a unified vision that the Bond films don’t.

For now, it appears that this vision will come from Kathleen Kennedy. One of the most powerful producers in Hollywood, Kennedy is best known for her longstanding partnership with Steven Spielberg. This has included her extensive involvement in Lucasfilm’s second most prominent franchise, the Indiana Jones films. Whether or not this is what inspired Lucas to hire Kennedy, her new role in Lucasfilm suggests one irresistible possibility: a Star Wars film directed by Steven Spielberg.
http://www.thescreeningroom.ca/2012/...star-wars.html

Old
10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Besides the writing, the key is obviously the casting. Get people who can actually act, not some talentless pretty boy like Hayden Christenson.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:55 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
No! Lucas spun that "it was only a kids movie" schlock after the prequels got received so poorly (*) and it was obvious he couldn't make a good movie any more. Star Wars was an all ages movie. It didn't insult the intelligence of the adults in the audience the way the prequels did.

(*) - Yes the prequels still made a ton of money but nobody could deny they were badly written, badly acted, badly directed, and so chock-full of CGI it was like Lucas was getting off on how much he could stuff into every shot.
You can argue semantics calling Star Wars movies for kids or all-ages or whatever, but the underlying point is that certain people seem to be flipping out because it's Disney that's taken it over and that will somehow lower the maturity bar.

I'll tell you one thing Star Wars isn't - an R rated series. That would be the only thing you have to worry about with Disney taking something over. Regardless of where you place Star Wars here it's no more mature than other movies Disney released such as Pirates of the Caribbean, John Carter, or The Avengers.

Now if there's one thing you actually want to worry about in regards to Disney, it's that in all their statements in regards to the goal to purchasing Lucasfilm they make it clear that their underlying goal is to maximize profits for shareholders. So they aren't going to take any artistic risks on the movie, and in Return of the Jedi they certainly would've sided with Lucas on creating the Ewoks specifically for kids toy sales.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:05 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Now if there's one thing you actually want to worry about in regards to Disney, it's that in all their statements in regards to the goal to purchasing Lucasfilm they make it clear that their underlying goal is to maximize profits for shareholders. So they aren't going to take any artistic risks on the movie, and in Return of the Jedi they certainly would've sided with Lucas on creating the Ewoks specifically for kids toy sales.
You end up making more money if the movie you create withstands the test of time. There's also very real 'prequel' fatigue among Star Wars fans. I know I won't go see the movie if it's received poorly. My goodwill ran out sometime during Attack of the Clones. Disney is a lot of things but they aren't stupid. If they can make something on par with what Marvel has done, they will be riding the gravy train. They know that. So there's no point fretting over more poorly made crap that is just a vehicle to sell toys. They need parents to WANT to go to these movies as much as they do kids.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I remember how pissed off I was after the Phantom Menace, and I was 10 at the time

You really have to screw up to not even entertain a child.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Star Wars 7 Plot Will Be "an Original Story," Says Lucasfilm Source

Old
10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Old
10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

So apparently the story will be an original one, meaning no Thrawn Trilogy. Kind of glad, it just would have felt wrong to see the original actors replaced.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Old
10-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Krishna

Old
10-31-2012, 04:32 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
You end up making more money if the movie you create withstands the test of time. There's also very real 'prequel' fatigue among Star Wars fans. I know I won't go see the movie if it's received poorly. My goodwill ran out sometime during Attack of the Clones. Disney is a lot of things but they aren't stupid. If they can make something on par with what Marvel has done, they will be riding the gravy train. They know that. So there's no point fretting over more poorly made crap that is just a vehicle to sell toys. They need parents to WANT to go to these movies as much as they do kids.
It's kind of a tricky balancing act really. Personally I don't think they'll screw it up for $$$, but they also aren't going to take a Christopher Nolan to Batman type approach because while it's good for movie revenue it doesn't maximize profits outside (ie. The Dark Knight's vehicle's are designed with realism in mind but would make horrible children's toys).

So for example I would predict that you may see the iconic X-Wings and maybe TIE Fighters phased out for a new generation of fighters in the movies simply specifically because it will let them create a new line of toys. They're obviously not going to do well if no one likes the movies, but at the same time they'll also be thinking 'how can we best milk this' the whole time.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I want to see Chewbacca with the Avengers

Old
10-31-2012, 04:43 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

It's official, Lucas and Disney have officially butt plugged the books.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:06 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
It's kind of a tricky balancing act really. Personally I don't think they'll screw it up for $$$, but they also aren't going to take a Christopher Nolan to Batman type approach because while it's good for movie revenue it doesn't maximize profits outside (ie. The Dark Knight's vehicle's are designed with realism in mind but would make horrible children's toys).

So for example I would predict that you may see the iconic X-Wings and maybe TIE Fighters phased out for a new generation of fighters in the movies simply specifically because it will let them create a new line of toys. They're obviously not going to do well if no one likes the movies, but at the same time they'll also be thinking 'how can we best milk this' the whole time.
"Realism" didn't stop Dark Knight Rises toys:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...knight%20rises

That's an aside though. Star Wars doesn't really NEED a Nolan approach. While the movie fan in me thinks that could be cool in the right hands, that's jumping to an extreme that doesn't have to be done in this case.

Just surpass the bar that Lucas set with the prequels, which by most accounts was pretty low.

Iron Man, the Avengers, Star Trek, Pirates of the Caribbean (certainly the first), the Harry Potter movies -- all recent examples of genre movies that strike a nice balance between broad appeal, mass marketability (toys, etc.) all while being solid, entertaining films to boot.

Star Wars doesn't need someone to make it serious or turn it into the GREATEST. MOVIE. EVER.
It just needs people that will make it fun and not stupid.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

That's an aside though. Star Wars doesn't really NEED a Nolan approach. While the movie fan in me thinks that could be cool in the right hands, that's jumping to an extreme that doesn't have to be done in this case.

Just surpass the bar that Lucas set with the prequels, which by most accounts was pretty low.

Iron Man, the Avengers, Star Trek, Pirates of the Caribbean (certainly the first), the Harry Potter movies -- all recent examples of genre movies that strike a nice balance between broad appeal, mass marketability (toys, etc.) all while being solid, entertaining films to boot.

Star Wars doesn't need someone to make it serious or turn it into the GREATEST. MOVIE. EVER.
Oh don't get me wrong I'm pretty much completely on board here, I was only playing devils advocate and saying for the people who think Disney will turn it into pure kids movies that the above is the only legitimate concern with Disney taking over. They're definitely going to go for that broad appeal, which may not be entirely popular with some of the more die hard purists. Example if someone thinks the whole original trilogy experience is ruined because Han didn't shoot first, Disney would probably make the same decision as Lucas here.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

May be off topic, but I object to Kallio's characterization of the recent Star Trek movie as a "solid" film. It wasn't. It was obviously terrible in every respect. The acting, script, story, special effects, cinematography, direction, and everything else were so bad.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:40 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
I remember how pissed off I was after the Phantom Menace, and I was 10 at the time

You really have to screw up to not even entertain a child.
By the 2015, the kids watching Episode VII may not remember The Phantom Menace, cause they weren't even born yet.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Indeed. Trying the former would just make it suck -- differently.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:08 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
This is the single greatest thing ever posted on the internet.

My initial reaction to this was "Great, the franchise gets dragged through the mug even further".

Phantom Menace was garbage, Attack of the Clones was "meh". RotS I thought was the best of the three, but not as good as NH, ESB or RotJ.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:16 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
May be off topic, but I object to Kallio's characterization of the recent Star Trek movie as a "solid" film. It wasn't. It was obviously terrible in every respect. The acting, script, story, special effects, cinematography, direction, and everything else were so bad.
Is that why it grossed 250 mil, won an Oscar, is at 95% on RT and 8.0 on imdb (good enough to place into the top 250)??? Oh, it's getting a sequel too.

What a terrible movie.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post

Well done.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:23 PM
KingLB

Quote:

"Nolan style" wouldn't be good in a post-ROTJ world imo. If they had gone Old Republic and do the KOTOR series or one around Bane (yes Bane is in SW to...) with a more Sith storyline he woulda been great.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:39 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong I'm pretty much completely on board here, I was only playing devils advocate and saying for the people who think Disney will turn it into pure kids movies that the above is the only legitimate concern with Disney taking over. They're definitely going to go for that broad appeal, which may not be entirely popular with some of the more die hard purists. Example if someone thinks the whole original trilogy experience is ruined because Han didn't shoot first, Disney would probably make the same decision as Lucas here.
I dig.

Closed Thread