HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackburn's joining the Victoria Salmon Kings

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2005, 12:14 PM
g0canucksg0

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g0canucksg0 Send a message via MSN to g0canucksg0
Blackburn's joining the Victoria Salmon Kings

Just saw on TV that Blackburn's joining the ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings. Good for him, I thought he might retire.

Found a source.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=113412

Last edited by g0canucksg0: 02-01-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old
02-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0canucksg0
Just saw on TV that Blackburn's joining the ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings. Good for him, I thought he might retire.
He is wearing two blockers instead of a blocker and a catcher, with a small catching glove on the inside. He will need to get approval from leagues on the way up for the modified equipment.

I hope he does well.

Old
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

As I posted on the AHL board...i dont understand. How can he just go to another ECHL team. I assume Charlotte cant just trade him obviously.

Old
02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
As I posted on the AHL board...i dont understand. How can he just go to another ECHL team. I assume Charlotte cant just trade him obviously.
In many cases teams in other leagues have different owners and can sign some of their own veteran players. Such is the case with Scott Gomez and in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves possibly signing Robert Esche.

Old
02-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Teams can loan players to other teams in the minor leagues. That's why Kelly Guard, an Ottawa prospect, has been on the Checkers from the beginning of the season.

Old
02-01-2005, 01:04 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

ah ok..i understand now.

Old
02-01-2005, 01:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
"I haven't actually had any practices yet but I think starting (Tuesday), for sure I will be," he said Monday from Victoria. "Then Wednesday in the pre-game skate if I'm playing, I definitely will be excited."
He hasnt practiced yet? Does he really think he will get thrown into a game on wednesday without a practice in over a year??

Old
02-01-2005, 01:08 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
He is wearing two blockers instead of a blocker and a catcher, with a small catching glove on the inside. He will need to get approval from leagues on the way up for the modified equipment.

I hope he does well.

Looks like it already has been approved by the NHL

Quote:
The blocker-glove received approval by the National Hockey League a couple of weeks ago and is styled like a regular blocker with a glove underneath.

Old
02-01-2005, 01:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dan Blackburn is playing for Victoria because are no player visas left for him to play for an American ECHL team

The second blocker was approved by the NHL and the Rangers cleared him to play

"My shoulder is basically a permanent disability," he said. "It's not going to get better, so I'm basically working around it with this glove. The injury caused me to lose a muscle in my shoulder and the muscle that I lost is the one that would be the outward rotation for my glove-hand, but sometimes holding a blocker, the way you hold your arm is different, so it's a different muscle and it's like I'm not injured."

And while the opposing players will know about the shoulder problem, Blackburn isn't worried that they'll try to go upstairs on him a lot.

"It's OK. I've got the blocker. It's better than my glove," he said.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=113412

Old
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
He hasnt practiced yet? Does he really think he will get thrown into a game on wednesday without a practice in over a year??
He spent three weeks practicing with Charlotte

Old
02-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Jackson Ranger

How is another blocker better than a glove hand? What happens when Scott Gomez comes down on a breakaway and shoots towards his "extra" blocker. Instead of hopefully making a glove save and holding on to stop play, the puck will be bouncing around in the Ranger zone. Something that doesn't always play out well as we all know.

I love the fact Blackburn is trying get back to where he was but I just can't see it happening. Anyway, good luck Danny and all the best!

Old
02-01-2005, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger

How is another blocker better than a glove hand? What happens when Scott Gomez comes down on a breakaway and shoots towards his "extra" blocker. Instead of hopefully making a glove save and holding on to stop play, the puck will be bouncing around in the Ranger zone. Something that doesn't always play out well as we all know.

I love the fact Blackburn is trying get back to where he was but I just can't see it happening. Anyway, good luck Danny and all the best!
It's better in the same way that "New" Coke was better.

Old
02-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Levitate

funny thing is that new coke actually taste tested better than regular coke in blind taste tests. it wasn't until people found out that coke was replacing regular coke with new coke that they freaked out...had more to do with the idea of losing the "icon" that coke always had been rather than being based purely on taste

as for blackburn...how cool would it be if he played awesome even with the blocker contraption and actually made it back to the NHL and did well? that'd be a hell of a comeback story

if nothing else i hope he can make a living out of hockey with what he's got...

Old
02-01-2005, 01:35 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Thats what I thought...i dont know why he said he hasnt practiced yet though...i guess TSN mis quoted him.

Old
02-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Levitate

maybe he meant he hasn't practiced with that team yet

Old
02-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Slats432

The first thing that comes to mind is a decent save percentage and high goals against because he is always giving up rebounds.

Can't really stop the play when his team is tired.

Guys that get to know him will always take the long hard shoot in on the high glove side.

It will be interesting, hopefully he is successful. Sad that a young guy is having so many challenges.

Old
02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
funny thing is that new coke actually taste tested better than regular coke in blind taste tests. it wasn't until people found out that coke was replacing regular coke with new coke that they freaked out...had more to do with the idea of losing the "icon" that coke always had been rather than being based purely on taste

as for blackburn...how cool would it be if he played awesome even with the blocker contraption and actually made it back to the NHL and did well? that'd be a hell of a comeback story

if nothing else i hope he can make a living out of hockey with what he's got...
If Blackburn ever does come back and play well in the NHL, you know the Islander fans will say hes cheating because of his equipment. Everyone is gonna have something to say about it.

Old
02-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger

I think he means the blocker is better because he has to use a different motion to make a save with that hand, and that motion is quicker than the motion that a goalie normally uses to make a glove save (which is usually a bigger motion than it needs to be).

Yes, rebounds would be a problem, but the defense has to be aware of that. I'm sure teams would crash the net more because of it. But Blackburn can still cover a puck on the ice. Hasek used to stop play by picking up the puck with his blocker hand all the time.

Old
02-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I think he means the blocker is better because he has to use a different motion to make a save with that hand, and that motion is quicker than the motion that a goalie normally uses to make a glove save (which is usually a bigger motion than it needs to be).

Yes, rebounds would be a problem, but the defense has to be aware of that. I'm sure teams would crash the net more because of it. But Blackburn can still cover a puck on the ice. Hasek used to stop play by picking up the puck with his blocker hand all the time.
But every single little flip shot to the net is gonna be a rebound. this is gonna be very strange.

Old
02-01-2005, 02:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

Then why is he not playing for Charlotte??? Why cant he play a game or 2 for them???

Old
02-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Levitate

not necessarily, he can still trap the puck with his body...

only hard shots to where his glove would be are not going to be as easily covered.

Old
02-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Then why is he not playing for Charlotte??? Why cant he play a game or 2 for them???
read the article (RTFA)

Old
02-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Kodiak

A couple of more points that I thought of:

1) Not every stoppage of play is the result of a glove save. Blackburn's new equipment will make little difference in covering a puck on the ice or surrounding the puck on a shot into his upper body.

2) This point has to do with how a goalie is taught to make a blocker save. He's not supposed to get the blocker in front of the puck and just let it hit. He's supposed to make something like a "flipping" motion and send the puck into the corner. It's possible (I'm just speculating since no one has seen the blocker) that the netting on the blocker is designed to catch the puck coming off that flipping motion. If that's true, then there shouldn't be that much of a difference in rebound control after Blackburn is fully adjusted to it.

Last edited by Kodiak: 02-01-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old
02-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Levitate

Quote:
1) Not every stoppage of play is the result of a glove save. Blackburn's new equipment will make little different in covering a puck on the ice or surrounding the puck on a shot into his upper body.
do you mean will make little difference in how he plays those situations?

Old
02-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
A couple of more points that I thought of:

1) Not every stoppage of play is the result of a glove save. Blackburn's new equipment will make little different in covering a puck on the ice or surrounding the puck on a shot into his upper body.

2) This point has to do with how a goalie is taught to make a blocker save. He's not supposed to get the blocker in front of the puck and just let it hit. He's supposed to make something like a "flipping" motion and send the puck into the corner. It's possible (I'm just speculating since no one has seen the blocker) that the netting on the blocker is designed to catch the puck coming off that flipping motion. If that's true, then there shouldn't be that much of a difference in rebound control after Blackburn is fully adjusted to it.
then how the hell do you get the puck out of that net, is it like a fishing net, he can never drop the puck off then..ahh, its just so weird.

Closed Thread