HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess what? You're not funny.

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 12:31 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Hey, Iiiiii got to see The Wall tour recently when it was around. So good.

Speaking of, I missed Rush in October. I was so heartbroken. Now my friend is seeing them right now in Vegas.

Any cool concert stories anyone?
It's generally better if I keep my musical opinions to myself (Pink Floyd is an awful band).

Old
11-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
It's generally better if I keep my musical opinions to myself (Pink Floyd is an awful band).
Join usssss.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I wouldn't say they're awful, just not one that I listen to outside of a couple of songs. However, I will say that I used to go listen to a kickass Filipino Pink Floyd cover band playing in a bar / brothel in Bahrain, whenever I wanted to hear live music outside of pop bands or wanted to practice speaking Thai to the girls.

By the way, Social Distortion worked out fine with the girls. They finished decorating the house, then we did some quality hot tub time and now they're watching some sappy movie in the media room while draining my liquor cabinet.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination

Old
11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
blasphemy. an awful band???

Old
11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
blasphemy. an awful band???
As a hobby guitarist, I appreciate bands with a degree of technical skill. I can play anything in the pink Floyd catalog drunk off my ass and with one hand. Most of the songs I write have more notes in them than an entire Floyd album.

That's not so much a knock on them as it was a knock on the era. Actual skill with an instrument was awfully rare back in those days, with bands essentially being the background to catchy vocal melodies. When Jimi Hendrix is regarded as the greatest guitarist of that era, you know the bar is set pretty low.

Then again, I've never smoked weed, which apparently is a key ingredient when attempting to enjoy their music.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
As a hobby guitarist, I appreciate bands with a degree of technical skill. I can play anything in the pink Floyd catalog drunk off my ass and with one hand. Most of the songs I write have more notes in them than an entire Floyd album.

That's not so much a knock on them as it was a knock on the era. Actual skill with an instrument was awfully rare back in those days, with bands essentially being the background to catchy vocal melodies. When Jimi Hendrix is regarded as the greatest guitarist of that era, you know the bar is set pretty low.

Then again, I've never smoked weed, which apparently is a key ingredient when attempting to enjoy their music.
I agree somewhat but their lyrics are nice, to me. I never touched weed either and I love them

Old
11-24-2012, 12:57 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

...now we got ears, its time for cheers?

Old
11-24-2012, 01:15 PM
slip

Quote:
I agree somewhat but their lyrics are nice, to me. I never touched weed either and I love them
Acid and 'shrooms on the other hand...

Old
11-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Acid and 'shrooms on the other hand...
Nah. I'm a goalie. That's enough on its own

Old
11-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Clock

Quote:

Gilmour's real skills were always more awesome sounding vibrato and bends, but more importantly, the guy wrote awesome solos. He's never been the guy you listen to for playing a ******** of notes in x amount of time. Floyd's music definitely doesn't require weed to enjoy. Their really early stuff was obviously much more influenced by psychedelics and the like, but I'd say anything after "Obscured" was way less influenced.

And dammit, Hendrix was revolutionary. Not only technically, but it was HOW he played guitar that makes him an eternal great. Those were the pioneers, the guys who used the instrument in the forefront and to make emotive music, not these guys that can pick 200 notes a second.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Gilmour's real skills were always more awesome sounding vibrato and bends, but more importantly, the guy wrote awesome solos. He's never been the guy you listen to for playing a ******** of notes in x amount of time. Floyd's music definitely doesn't require weed to enjoy. Their really early stuff was obviously much more influenced by psychedelics and the like, but I'd say anything after "Obscured" was way less influenced.

And dammit, Hendrix was revolutionary. Not only technically, but it was HOW he played guitar that makes him an eternal great. Those were the pioneers, the guys who used the instrument in the forefront and to make emotive music, not these guys that can pick 200 notes a second.
I've had this discussion like a hundred times. I think it comes down to the fact that I'm what you call a "left" brain person. While I can't deny Jimi set the stage for modern guitarists, I view it like I do 1950's football players. For their time they were the best, but nowadays you know it's just on a whole different level.

People do tend to overrate Jimi's technical skill, even at that time he wasn't a very clean/technical/fast player. He was just really creative, connected with his audience, and his persona sold Hendrix as much as his music did.

As for the Floyd stuff, none of it just ever has done anything for me. I went to a "laser light show" of Floyd with my late father a few years ago and I was incredibly disappointed. I think anybody can get into "The Wall" but other than that I just got nothing out of it.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:16 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:

Give me some Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, David Gilmour, Brian May or Eric Clapton any day of the week.

... and smoking weed has never been a requirement to enjoy Steve Hackett's solo in "Firth of Fifth", or Eric Clapton's work in any Cream song; take a listen to his version of Hendrix' "Little Wing" on the Rainbow Concert album.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:40 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
Give me some Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, David Gilmour, Brian May or Eric Clapton any day of the week.

... and smoking weed has never been a requirement to enjoy Steve Hackett's solo in "Firth of Fifth", or Eric Clapton's work in any Cream song; take a listen to his version of Hendrix' "Little Wing" on the Rainbow Concert album.
I specifically referenced pot with Pink Floyd. You've gone and named a bunch of people I wasn't talking about.

I love Clapton. With regards to others, you can't really say "go listen to X" and expect people to like the stuff. That music is still really popular and I've heard it all multiple times.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:17 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
What is Mickey's Playhouse !?!

Old
11-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Im stumped.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
ONG's whereabouts on a Saturday night?

Old
11-24-2012, 05:51 PM
slip

Quote:
Think "Playboy Mansion" minus the hot women, good drugs, and raunchy sex.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Think "Playboy Mansion" minus the hot women, good drugs, and raunchy sex.
Which leaves Hef.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination

OU-OSU has been entertaining so far I must say

Old
11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post

OU-OSU has been entertaining so far I must say
well played

Old
11-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
I like bands that do drugs to write the music so that I don't need to do drugs to enjoy the music.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Im stumped.
the thread Title

Old
11-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
I like bands that do drugs to write the music so that I don't need to do drugs to enjoy the music.
All music is written on drugs, you didn't know that?

Old
11-24-2012, 07:57 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Which leaves Hef.
And his dog. And his humble man-servant Winston Toodles.

Closed Thread