HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess what? You're not funny.

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Awesome Chain and Legomyleggio

You guys make me feel like ... well, a 5 year old, talking about your kids lol... Thats great though to have them involved in hockey young. It's in their blood now

Now if anyone knows of any good rec/beer/whatever leagues to play it that arent extremely expesnive, I'd be greatly appreciative...

My son's only 7 and this is just his second year. I don't know if he's going to stick with it (no pun intended), but he seems to be getting what I wanted to see him learn from this: how to compete in a team sport, evidence that his doing his best translates into him obtaining what he wants, and opportunity to have fun. He's also swimming (as is my 5 year-old) and wants to expand his martial arts lessons (he's had a few, not in any school at the moment). Where hockey fits long-term, I don't know, but he's had the experience of it and he's learning from it... that's really what it's about.

As for rec leagues, you might want to check Holiday Twin Rinks on Broadway since you're living in Lancaster. But going to UB, Northtown Center is right next to the North Campus. Poke around, there seems to always be people looking for players.

11-04-2012, 10:17 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Wow!! The shhhhhh really hit the fan in The Walking Dead.

No whining about spoiling it please

Old
11-04-2012, 10:24 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Nice! My son had his first game of the year (house league) and has discovered that if he busts his tail to get from place to place, he's in the play. Despite his line getting scored on twice in a 5-3 win, he was pretty good defensively and in the play more than just about any game since last season's tournament. He had the best two practices probably ever earlier in the weekend... and we're back on the ice again tomorrow evening.
Ah, I'll always remember my first goal. It was a 3 on 1 coming up the ice, I was the trailing forward. I thought the pass was going to go across, but instead it came to me. I got off a terrible shot, but the defenseman screened the goalie and he never saw the puck.

I was 22 years old, haha. Good that you started them young, I wish I had played hockey growing up instead of Little League.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Ah, I'll always remember my first goal. It was a 3 on 1 coming up the ice, I was the trailing forward. I thought the pass was going to go across, but instead it came to me. I got off a terrible shot, but the defenseman screened the goalie and he never saw the puck.

I was 22 years old, haha. Good that you started them young, I wish I had played hockey growing up instead of Little League.
He's yet to score but he's talking about it now as a possibility rather than him lamenting that it will never happen. Mindset and all that -- he even had a "we'll get that back for you" exchange with his goalie after both goals against his line. That's a big step from where he started.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Thanks Chain! And I agree that experience of a team and team effort is important and that your kids have the chance/experience is awesome. I will check out the place on broadway tomorrow.
Thanks again!

Old
11-04-2012, 11:31 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

Truth. Absolutely nuts, especially compared to the last episode. Not sure how the group is gonna keep it together.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:55 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
He's yet to score but he's talking about it now as a possibility rather than him lamenting that it will never happen. Mindset and all that -- he even had a "we'll get that back for you" exchange with his goalie after both goals against his line. That's a big step from where he started.
Nice, I don't think I touched the puck my first game.

Sounds like he plays forward?

Old
11-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Truth. Absolutely nuts, especially compared to the last episode. Not sure how the group is gonna keep it together.
Best episode to date. JUST WOW.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Nice, I don't think I touched the puck my first game.

Sounds like he plays forward?
Mostly, yes. Though where these guys line up and what they wind up doing are often very different things.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I don't watch Walking Dead, but I found this to be pretty accurate on a weekly basis:

Quote:
Adam Proteau
‏@Proteautype

Still can't believe (SPOILER REDACTED) on The Walking Dead. What will change now that (SPOILER REDACTED) is (SPOILER REDACTED)?

Old
11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I don't watch Walking Dead, but I found this to be pretty accurate on a weekly basis:
Pretty accurate except for Season Two. Almost the entirety of that season was awful.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Mostly, yes. Though where these guys line up and what they wind up doing are often very different things.
Yeah, I kind of figured as much. Does he take faceoffs at all? That was one thing I found fun to work on (mostly because no one else did) while I was still learning the game.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Looking for some opinions on something.

The girl I've been dating has been pretty seriously ill for the past couple months. Her immune system is really bad right now, so it's been tough fighting things off. Her latest ailment has been anemia, and it's been causing bleeding that can't be completely stopped without surgery. Her doctors have been delaying the surgery because her vitals aren't good enough to go through a surgery, so it's been just patching her up as needed until her vitals improve. She's also in isolation because she's contagious. Basically, she's been through quite a bit over the past couple months.

The main issue I'm facing is she's way more invested in our relationship that I am. Probably 2-3 weeks after we even met she was talking about buying a house, getting married and having kids. She's told me a number of times I'm the reason she has to keep going. Over the past couple weeks, she's noticed I've been a little less talkative on the phone. She asked if she was losing me, and I basically just told her I think we needed to slow down. I said we basically skipped the entire dating phase and jumped right into being married and having kids, and I think we need to go back and take things slower. She didn't agree. At all. It pretty much broke her and she's been devastated since.

The real problem is that now she's not really willing to keep fighting. She was in the hospital last night because she was having trouble breathing. Her doctors wanted her to stay, but she wouldn't and went home. She needs to have the surgery, but she doesn't know if she wants to now because she has no reason.

I know I can only control my own actions and my own life and that she ultimately needs to take control of her life, but I just feel incredibly guilty now. What if something serious happens because she doesn't want to try anymore? I'm going to have that on my conscience like it's my fault. It's been messing with my head since yesterday morning and it's driving me nuts. She's already made her illness worse by going out and driving around for most of yesterday (she's not supposed to be out of bed), and I don't know how far she'll push it now.

Sorry for the semi wall of text, it's just all I can think about right now.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Afino
The Juice

You don't even know what you don't know.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Looking for some opinions on something.

The girl I've been dating has been pretty seriously ill for the past couple months. Her immune system is really bad right now, so it's been tough fighting things off. Her latest ailment has been anemia, and it's been causing bleeding that can't be completely stopped without surgery. Her doctors have been delaying the surgery because her vitals aren't good enough to go through a surgery, so it's been just patching her up as needed until her vitals improve. She's also in isolation because she's contagious. Basically, she's been through quite a bit over the past couple months.

The main issue I'm facing is she's way more invested in our relationship that I am. Probably 2-3 weeks after we even met she was talking about buying a house, getting married and having kids. She's told me a number of times I'm the reason she has to keep going. Over the past couple weeks, she's noticed I've been a little less talkative on the phone. She asked if she was losing me, and I basically just told her I think we needed to slow down. I said we basically skipped the entire dating phase and jumped right into being married and having kids, and I think we need to go back and take things slower. She didn't agree. At all. It pretty much broke her and she's been devastated since.

The real problem is that now she's not really willing to keep fighting. She was in the hospital last night because she was having trouble breathing. Her doctors wanted her to stay, but she wouldn't and went home. She needs to have the surgery, but she doesn't know if she wants to now because she has no reason.

I know I can only control my own actions and my own life and that she ultimately needs to take control of her life, but I just feel incredibly guilty now. What if something serious happens because she doesn't want to try anymore? I'm going to have that on my conscience like it's my fault. It's been messing with my head since yesterday morning and it's driving me nuts. She's already made her illness worse by going out and driving around for most of yesterday (she's not supposed to be out of bed), and I don't know how far she'll push it now.

Sorry for the semi wall of text, it's just all I can think about right now.
Wow. That's some seriously major ****. We'll take it one point at a time.

First, if this Sabres board and OT thread has taught us anything, it's that almost all women immediately want to skip the dating phase, (especially if they feel it will involve chronic consumption of both hockey and beer) and quickly move to marriage and kids. So don't feel that is too wack. Plus, you, being an east-coast transplant, may be different to her from other guys she's encountered so far.

Second, you need to find a family member of hers, or BFF, or whatever, and talk openly, without violating her confidence, about your concerns. Given her health hisotry, which you've written of previously, you need to understand if either of these issues have come up before. i.e., (A) losing will / fight to live or care for herself, (B) making that will contingent on the love / affection of another.

You have legit concerns about her physical and emotional health, which are intertwined, and it's unfair for her to (so fully) burden you with that inter-connection at that phase of your relationship. You've only been out west a couple months, right?

Third, if you want to play the card, you could say that you can't love someone who won't love / take care of herself. But usually that challenge is reserved for people with addiction issues. (Don't know if it's legit to say that or not - ask someone on this board who watches intervention to know if that's "fair" or "unfair" to pull.)

Old
11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

Second, you need to find a family member of hers, or BFF, or whatever, and talk openly, without violating her confidence, about your concerns. Given her health hisotry, which you've written of previously, you need to understand if either of these issues have come up before. i.e., (A) losing will / fight to live or care for herself, (B) making that will contingent on the love / affection of another.

You have legit concerns about her physical and emotional health, which are intertwined, and it's unfair for her to (so fully) burden you with that inter-connection at that phase of your relationship. You've only been out west a couple months, right?
I agree with finding a family member and have you and the family member speak to her about her issues. These are her issues, not yours.

I find it upsetting and selfish that she's using her illness as a way to stay attached to someone.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

On another note: Popcorners chips have some sort of addictive chemistry in them.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Her best friend knows. She doesn't know the reason why she's acting like this now (girlfriend doesn't want to tell her), but she knows she's basically gone off the deep end. She's done something similar before, though under different circumstances.

Quote:
I've only known her since the end of July. The majority of that time she's been out of state. She left the area probably a week after I met her and she's been gone since. Our relationship has almost entirely been over the phone.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:20 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Nice! My son had his first game of the year (house league) and has discovered that if he busts his tail to get from place to place, he's in the play. Despite his line getting scored on twice in a 5-3 win, he was pretty good defensively and in the play more than just about any game since last season's tournament. He had the best two practices probably ever earlier in the weekend... and we're back on the ice again tomorrow evening.
My lead assistant coach has instituted the "Chaser of the Game Award" for the kid that hustles their hardest each game. The winner gets a Slushie after the next practice.

I think it's helped up the hustle factor. It's worked so well that he couldn't decide after yesterday's game so he's buying the whole team Slushies.

We may get banned from Geneseo after winning 9-2 and 8-1 in our two games there so far this season.

Given that our other two games have been a 3-2 loss and a 4-4 tie, it's not like we are killing everyone, though. They may be in for a looooong season.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Clock

Myllz: Better off, for her own mental sake, to stop it now rather than drag it onward. Tell her friends you're worried about it and that they might want to seek help for her, but you don't want to perpetuate something that isn't real, especially since it could make things worse in the end.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Myllz: Better off, for her own mental sake, to stop it now rather than drag it onward. Tell her friends you're worried about it and that they might want to seek help for her, but you don't want to perpetuate something that isn't real, especially since it could make things worse in the end.
That was my struggle, when to tell her. Do I wait until she's better? It's been x number of months already, what if it just continues on? I wasn't even actually planning on saying anything yesterday, but she asked about it.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 233
I was going to make a crack about the Crazy/Hot scale, but err... Myllz, no family to reach out to or known mental health issues in her history? From what you've shared, it certainly sounds like attention seeking behavior to me, but in an overtly negative manner (sympathy, pity, reassurance, etc.) as opposed to positive (narcissists, braggarts, exhibitionists, etc.). I'd cut the cord. Her dependence could go on and on if you don't act.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Clock

Quote:
That was my struggle, when to tell her. Do I wait until she's better? It's been x number of months already, what if it just continues on? I wasn't even actually planning on saying anything yesterday, but she asked about it.
I'd say ask her friends and get their opinion. Get their informed feedback, let them know where you're at, and go from there.

Heck, even if you go to them and say "I'm going to end this because she thinks it's more than it is and I don't want to hurt her, can you help me minimize the damage?" that's still good.

You might look at it as a tough love sort of thing. You shouldn't go on pretending that you're on the same page with her just because you're afraid she won't be able to handle it, ya know? I'm not saying "SCREW HER, WHO CARES," but it seems like you'd just help to perpetuate an unhealthy relationship that could do more damage downstream than up.

I'm not privy to all of the details, though. Just my 20,000 ft level advice.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
slip

Quote:
I've only known her since the end of July. The majority of that time she's been out of state. She left the area probably a week after I met her and she's been gone since. Our relationship has almost entirely been over the phone.
There's another guy in the picture, and you're just a pawn in her game.

Get. Out. Now.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Clock

Closed Thread