HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FOX movie of the week - There and Back Again: The John Farrell Story*

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 12:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
FOX movie of the week - There and Back Again: The John Farrell Story*

*For the gullible: no, this is not real. I'm just making a joke at the old 90s habit of Fox making bad pseudo-autobiographical stories based on noteworthy events. It's also a Simpsons joke.

with that out of the way, carry on.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Bob Barker

Just wondering what everyone's dream (but hopefully realistic) offseason is. Realistic is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:23 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Sandy Alomar to Remain on Clevelandís Coaching Staff 2 hrs ago

what if we traded aviles for sandy alomar

Old
10-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Drew311
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Just wondering what everyone's dream (but hopefully realistic) offseason is. Realistic is in the eyes of the beholder.
Alomar Jr.
Upton
Johnson
Sanchez

Old
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:
One #1/2 pitcher
One #3/4 pitcher
One of DH/2B

In a perfect world LF would be improved aswell. It's the easiest position to fill for next season though. Would be a luxury.

FYI AA will be on PTS at 6pm. That's am590 for those who aren't aware.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Alomar Jr.
Upton
Johnson
Sanchez
Why? Just curious. How does anyone here know that Alomar Jr. is better than Sal Fasano, or Brad Ausmus for example?

Old
10-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Yeah he can't hit with the stick, but he manages to post career highs in every offensive category in his first (full) year with the DBacks.

And Aviles didn't post really ****** numbers, if anything they were exactly the same as John's career highs. So even in arguably his worst year offensively he's put up similar numbers to John's best and he was a better fielder too.
McDonald was much better defensively last year. .995 - .975 fld%. Yunel and Johnson's fld% was also higher than Aviles.

As far as hitting, a .282 OBP is crap. There's no way around it. Yes he had some pop, but that's about it. Kelly Johnson's OPS was 15 points higher and his OBP is 31 points higher and he didn't have the best of seasons (he started off incredible but was terrible down the stretch).

Aviles had a terrible year, I like the guy and hope he comes in and surprises. He's a great option off the bench, but as far as starting? Gross.

As far as Johnny Mac posting career highs, Gomes could come and hit the ball at a .220 OBP next season and it would be a career high. Career highs are nothing special if you're that far under a .300 OBP.

Johnny Mac is my favourite player, so I'm excited to have his replacement. But Aviles isn't much of an upgrade on him, to be honest.

Quote:
Lind is a useable platoon player at DH against LHP. That's it.

But of course nobody was expecting him to be a throw-in... His name came up from the media (it wasn't fan speculation) when it was rumoured there was a prospect coming back to Toronto as well. The better the prospect, the more you'd have to give up.

Having said that, Lind has already been more than replaced by Encarnacion at 1B, and can readily improved upon at DH this off-season, so if you don't intend to keep him (and I don't for the price), you certainly don't hesitate to move him when it makes sense to do so.
I agree. Move Lind - when it makes sense only aka when you have a replacement already inked to paper.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Why? Just curious. How does anyone here know that Alomar Jr. is better than Sal Fasano, or Brad Ausmus for example?
Obviously none of us have a clue.

But based on their major league experience, Sandy's got miles more than the other two... who have zero.

I'll fully admit that I have no idea what AA will look for this time around. Hiring a rookie manager backfired last time. Whether they go with one of the underwhelming guys with previous experience like Acta or Tracy, or a rookie one... its gotta be the best candidate.

Alomar Jr. from reports I've read has a personality that is far off from Farrell. He's a guy who demands respect, and isn't afraid to "rattle cages" of guys who step out of line.

He's also got the name on his back that may captivate fans, and at least the rapport that name and Robbie has with this team will give him a little bit of a leash to start off his career.

That makes him my choice. But I'll be the first one to admit I have no idea what AA is looking for.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Wait, did I just see Transplanted Caper? Must have been a mirage.

Anyway, sounds like Ausmus is going to have other options, so it comes down to how desirable the Toronto opportunity is seen to be. Alomar apparently taking himself out of the equation raises questions. If a promising managerial candidate comes here (again), will it just be as a stepping stone to another opportunity elsewhere? Does Toronto have enough potential to be able to attract - and keep - a top manager?

Don't mind me, my Toronto-based inferiority complex is showing.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

My off season
Dave Martinez/Sandy Alomar jr. As the head coach

Anibal Sanchez/ Edwin Jackson free agent signing
Trade for an inning eating starter ala Gavin Floyd type
Re-sign Lyon
Trade for a K lefty in the pen to bump Loup to AAA
Try to upgrade at LF/2B but if no real major upgrades prsent itself I stand pat.
Bring in a DH/1B player either through Free agency or trade (.800 OPS+)

Basically add pitching and offensive depth hile maintaining the farm, if the opportunity arises to go after an Upton type player then I go for it but its pure speculation based on what is specifically available.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Alomar Jr.
Upton
Johnson
Sanchez
Josh or Kelly?

Old
10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
McDonald was much better defensively last year. .995 - .975 fld%. Yunel and Johnson's fld% was also higher than Aviles.

As far as hitting, a .282 OBP is crap. There's no way around it. Yes he had some pop, but that's about it. Kelly Johnson's OPS was 15 points higher and his OBP is 31 points higher and he didn't have the best of seasons (he started off incredible but was terrible down the stretch).

Aviles had a terrible year, I like the guy and hope he comes in and surprises. He's a great option off the bench, but as far as starting? Gross.

As far as Johnny Mac posting career highs, Gomes could come and hit the ball at a .220 OBP next season and it would be a career high. Career highs are nothing special if you're that far under a .300 OBP.

Johnny Mac is my favourite player, so I'm excited to have his replacement. But Aviles isn't much of an upgrade on him, to be honest.

I agree. Move Lind - when it makes sense only aka when you have a replacement already inked to paper.

Fielding % is a junk stat that is basically made on the back of errors (an even worse stat)

not that I love any of the defensive metrics (they're all flawed to some degree), but comparatively:

Johnny Mac's UZR/150 as a SS last year was 8.5
Aviles as a SS last year was 9.3

for their careers at short, they're an equal 7.6

Johnny Mac has better #s on versatility (McDonald might be a better 2B defensively than SS, and is better across the infield than Aviles) but Aviles is a better offensive player than him.

So yes, on balance it's not that much of an improvement on Johnny Mac, but being a mediocre bat (especially a mediocre bat in the middle infield, which isn't exactly replete with great offensive players) with good D is going to keep you in a lineup more than being a poor bat with very good D.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:09 PM
topched

Quote:
Alomar Jr.

Free Agency:

Michael Bourn: Throw money at him. On base machine... not much of a power threat, but he's Rajai Davis on steroids. Let the guy hit leadoff and set the table for Jose and EE.

Kyle Lohse/Dan Haren: Both guys with experience who battle and could survive in the AL East.

Trades:

Obviously so many possibilities, but I'd like for them to explore moving escobar, perhaps for an arm or 1B/DH bat, give Hech the reigns.

That ^ only works if the jays can find a good replacement at 2b. Going out and getting a vet like Mark Ellis from the Dodgers would be okay just from a veteran leadership standpoint, preferably they'd go out and get someone like Gordon Beckham or Jason Kipnis who would be able to get the job done for years to come, but those guys likely arent candidates to get moves.

Scary to think that the guy who might fit into our lineup the best right now is Arizona's 2bagger.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Sign Angel Pagan or Shane Victorino
Acquire Jason Vargas or Jon Niese
Sign Anibal Sanchez or Edwin Jackson
Sign David Ortiz

Either Alomar, Fasano or Hale would work well as manager.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post

I never said he posted up good numbers, I said they weren't really ****** if you're comparing them to Johnny Mac's. I also never considered him to be a starting SS/2B, but a super utility. Gomes is also a rookie, not sure how he plays a role in any of this.

You also think fielding percentage is a good indicator of how good they are at fielding? Obviously Sabremetrics stats have flaws, but UZR and even range is a better indicator of defence then FLD%. Both of those measures of defence consider Aviles to be have been a better fielder last year compared to Johnny Mac. Over the course of their careers? Sure you can make the claim that McDonald is a better fielder, because he is, but I wasn't referring to their careers.

Aviles isn't much of a starter, but if I were to choose between who starts, either JM or MA, I'd pick the latter.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post

Anyway, sounds like Ausmus is going to have other options, so it comes down to how desirable the Toronto opportunity is seen to be. Alomar apparently taking himself out of the equation raises questions. If a promising managerial candidate comes here (again), will it just be as a stepping stone to another opportunity elsewhere? Does Toronto have enough potential to be able to attract - and keep - a top manager?

Don't mind me, my Toronto-based inferiority complex is showing.
Well, let me chime in since I don't have a Toronto-based inferiority complex. Instead I have the Vancouver-based paranoia complex where I look to envision all the myriad of ways things can fall apart.

I think that like so many things, comfort and desire to be in a situation can be bred by winning. If the new guy comes in and the team can pick it up and grow like we all think they can/should and takes those next steps to respectability and success then that can be a piece that helps convince the manager to stick around.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Well, let me chime in since I don't have a Toronto-based inferiority complex. Instead I have the Vancouver-based paranoia complex where I look to envision all the myriad of ways things can fall apart.

I think that like so many things, comfort and desire to be in a situation can be bred by winning. If the new guy comes in and the team can pick it up and grow like we all think they can/should and takes those next steps to respectability and success then that can be a piece that helps convince the manager to stick around.
I secretly hope (but highly doubt) that this whole situation lights a fire under AA and Beeston and the powers that be at Rogers.

I wakeup call that the Jays are still far from relevance and need to take this offseason VERY seriously and make a splash in order to let everyone know they mean business... and that something like this won't ever happen again.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:24 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Sandy Alomar to Remain on Clevelandís Coaching Staff 2 hrs ago

what if we traded aviles for sandy alomar
Alomar passed over twice by Indians for Manager, just sayin!

Old
10-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Oh Woodman, you read my mind with Dave Martinez. Former Jay, who's been a bench coach for the best manager in baseball for the past 5 years. I think he's a good choice.

As for my realistic off-season:

- A. Sanchez (5 years @ 13.5M)
- S. Feldman (3 years @ 7.5M)
- T. Hafner (1 year @ 2.75M)
- Trade for R. Porcello
- Trade for D. Ackley\J. Kipnis

Old
10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Pitchers very seldom make good Managers

Catcher's have the most success as they are the most involved in every day management of the game.

All you have to do is look at the playoff teams.

Frisco- manager ex Catcher

Yankees manager ex Catcher

Tigers manager ex Catcher

Cardinals manager ex Catcher

Rookie GM's and Managers just don't mix.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Alomar passed over twice by Indians for Manager, just sayin!
I think the Alomar thing is purely optics at this point.

He'll interview for the Jays job again if offered.

Cleveland is trying to round out Franconas staff right now, and Alomar can't afford to be left without a dance partner.

Cards are on the table, he wont be the Indians manager anytime soon after being passed over in favour of Francona... which is understandable.

He's the bench coach of the indians until he's hired as a manager.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Never heard of him.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Jays claim Bobby Wilson off waivers from the Angels. Crappy back-up catcher that can't hit, get on base, or hit for power. This claim puts them at 41 on the 40 man roster spot. I'd think someone like McCoy gets taken off the 40 man to make room for him.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Oh Woodman, you read my mind with Dave Martinez. Former Jay, who's been a bench coach for the best manager in baseball for the past 5 years. I think he's a good choice.

As for my realistic off-season:

- A. Sanchez (5 years @ 13.5M)
- S. Feldman (3 years @ 7.5M)
- T. Hafner (1 year @ 2.75M)
- Trade for R. Porcello
- Trade for D. Ackley\J. Kipnis
Scott Feldman sucks. Won't get that money or years.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

my off-season dream is that the jays "make it rain" both in the trade market and free agency. Essentially outspend their problems and when the dust settles have 2 more pitchers (preferably top 3's) and a solid manager.

Closed Thread