HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At What Point Would You Hope for the Season To Be Cancelled?

Old
11-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
A shortened season of any short is always a black mark on a NHL season with all totals and victories having an asterisks (*) attached, taking away from the value of the results. So to me they can cancel it at any time they like..

I felt that way back in the strike shortened season in 1994-95 (48 games), that just Leaf fans luck that after back to back final 4 Dougie Gilmour playoff runs in 1993 & 1994, my Leafs would win it all in 1995 and forever that would be considered a tainted win, because it wasn't earned on the merits of a complete season.

So while there is no concern of Leafs winning anything in a shortened season this year, the principle remains the same.

11-01-2012, 10:31 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
A shortened season of any short is always a black mark on a NHL season with all totals and victories having an asterisks (*) attached, taking away from the value of the results. So to me they can cancel it at any time they like..

I felt that way back in the strike shortened season in 1994-95 (48 games), that just Leaf fans luck that after back to back final 4 Dougie Gilmour playoff runs in 1993 & 1994, my Leafs would win it all in 1995 and forever that would be considered a tainted win, because it wasn't earned on the merits of a complete season.

So while there is no concern of Leafs winning anything in a shortened season this year, the principle remains the same.
Silly notion when all Teams play the same amount of games.
In fact it's probably harder to win in a shortened season as every game would carry extra weight.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Deebo

Never and I can't see how any fan of the game would ever hope for a cancelled season.

Last edited by Deebo: 11-01-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Silly notion when all Teams play the same amount of games.
In fact it's probably harder to win in a shortened season as every game would carry extra weight.
If someone runs a full Marathon 26 miles and records their time and wins, then that is not the same as someone that runs a 1/2 Marathon and compares their results on par, claiming its the same just double it.

There is no difference believing the results of 1/2 an NHL season = full NHL season.

We have seen all teams including our Leafs go in spurts where if last year was only 1/2 the season long and it was the first half, Leafs would have been a playoff team, and if it was only the last 1/2 the Leafs recorded among the worst record in the league. Over a full 82 games the most accurate measure the result was 5th from the bottom, where neither 1/2 was an accurate reflection of the overall picture.

Smaller the sample set, more unreliable the results. Therefore the more unreliable the results the more meaningless the overall value becomes.

Last edited by Mess: 11-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:29 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
If the whole season is canceled, I wouldn't think about where the Leafs will pick I will question why I should remain a fan of this league.
Yep....Two cancelled season within a decade would be enough for me to say F you NHL and all 30 teams and 30 owners and all 700+ members of the NHLPA. Its a joke of a league if they allow another cancelled season.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 620
Quote:
If someone runs a full Marathon 26 miles and records their time and wins, then that is not the same as someone that runs a 1/2 Marathon and compares their results on par, claiming its the same just double it.

There is no difference believing the results of 1/2 an NHL season = full NHL season.

We have seen all teams including our Leafs go in spurts where if last year was only 1/2 the season long and it was the first half, Leafs would have been a playoff team, and if it was only the last 1/2 the Leafs recorded among the worst record in the league. Over a full 82 games the most accurate measure the result was 5th from the bottom, where neither 1/2 was an accurate reflection of the overall picture.

Smaller the sample set, more unreliable the results. Therefore the more unreliable the results the more meaningless the overall value becomes.
Who cares! I'd rather be watching the Leafs play than not watching anything at all.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

You're way off the mark with this.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:28 PM
gordonshumway

I'd hope they play, even if it's shortened season, stink up the joint, get another high pick in this draft (shaping up to be a good one apparently), not to mention Connolly's and Lombardi's contracts will expire, and Komisarek's will have one year left... if the whole season gets cancelled, won't they just roll over to next season? Honestly, the team hasn't been improved a whole lot other than Schenn for JVR swap so we shouldn't expect miracles when play resumes. Short dose of pain followed by a top5 pick could be just what the doctor ordered

gordonshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
darrylsittler27

Shut her down for 2 years.

Then offer the players about 1 million per year or use AHL players.The common man can't afford to go to hockey anymore,one of the least popular sports in the world and yet the players get more than the superbowl qback.They have no tv deal,the owners invest $100 millions and get to lose money.The players are out of touch with a north american who aint working at all right now.In the U.S most Americans couldnt give a dmn about hockey.Greedy agents and greed in general has killed the working man's sport and to be honest these guys dont hustle like the guys who made 100k and gave everything i.e Tiger Williams.

Shut out the players and bring in the kids,let them go play in other countries or try and get a real job. I care less and less everyday....

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Phelan

I want it to be cancelled if it can't get started by the first weekend of December. They can play the WC next year, maybe even with one of Anahem's UFA's too.

Phelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 04:19 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Then offer the players about 1 million per year or use AHL players.The common man can't afford to go to hockey anymore,one of the least popular sports in the world and yet the players get more than the superbowl qback.They have no tv deal,the owners invest $100 millions and get to lose money.The players are out of touch with a north american who aint working at all right now.In the U.S most Americans couldnt give a dmn about hockey.Greedy agents and greed in general has killed the working man's sport and to be honest these guys dont hustle like the guys who made 100k and gave everything i.e Tiger Williams.

Shut out the players and bring in the kids,let them go play in other countries or try and get a real job. I care less and less everyday....
Not even close.

Quote:
6. Eli Manning 2012-2013 Salary $11,850,000 Base Salary $1,750,000 Signing Bonus $4,850,000 Other Bonuses $5,250,000 Contract 7 years / $106,900,000 Signing Bonus 7 years / $13,000,000 Guaranteed Money $35,000,000 Last Year of Contract 2015 Age 31 New York Giants
http://www.numeroten.com/top-10-list...12-in-the-nfl/

Old
11-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

I want the season to be cancelled about 2 to 3 months in the past now it is just irritating waking up to check if their is any progress. I wonder if we locked Don and Bettman in a room until they come to an understanding how long it would take for an NHL season to commence.

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote