HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Media players & their relative advantages

Old
11-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Kaizen

vCash: 500
OT: Media players & their relative advantages

I'm exploring moving away from cable/satellite & going to a media player exclusively. I live in Canada so I understand content might be a challenge. Some have Internet browsing capabilities - would this enable me to search for TV show episodes online (from the broadcaster's site)? The device would be used almost exclusively for TV so other media capabilities/considerations are not particularly important.
I've done some preliminary research & the Boxee along Sony's Google TV seem to fit my needs best.

Any thoughts/reviews/experience with these media players or the alternatives on the market?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Kaizen

Or maybe the Western Digital® WD TV Live Hub Media Centre is the way to go?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:42 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

I have the sony google tv in the form of the NSZ GT1. It does pretty well at just about everything but there are some wrinkles as with any device.

It's biggest advantage though is that it can use any web flash video site. So things like HBO go which don't have official apps can still be used.

My biggest complaint is the unorthodox remote. I'm sure other google tv situations are different, but this particular device is limited only to its included remote. The mouse functionality on the remote is not very good and its not shaped well to use in one hand.

But as a browsing device its pretty fantastic as far as set top boxes go.

EDIT: I should add though, I still use this device along with regular cable tv. Personally if I were going to cut the proverbial cord I would not go with a restricted set top box. Instead I would build a multi media PC.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote