Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 1st line

Old
03-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Tuomaz

vCash: 500
The 1st line

What should be done about it? It seems it just isn't working now. Parise is slumping. Coyle doesn't belong on the 1st line imo. Koivu has been producing lately okayish.
What would be your 1st line? I made seperate thread about this because this needs more attention.

Last edited by Tuomaz: 03-05-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Parise - Koivu - Clutterbuck

I mean, no use breaking the other lines. They work. Give Coyle a breather or two and try Clutter with the big boys. I know he can't really cycle but who knows, maybe his speed and hustle bring a couple of opportunities and gives other guys a bit more room. Plus he's a righty, which Yeo loves.

I would otherwise try Seto in there but as I said, no use breaking that 2nd line up. They're money right now.

If that fails, swap Clutter and Bouchard. Maybe a game in the 1st line would allow Butch to regain his lost form, and Clutter is a good fit on that 1st, providing some speed and grit on an otherwise soft line.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:42 PM
NHLPodium

I still don't understand why Coyle is out there. I have never been impressed with his play.

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Trade 'em all. After we fire GMCF and Yeo, of course.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Been saying for weeks now that I'd like to see Parise and Koivu separated.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I was resistant but i think it is the right time to try it, it's not like they appear to be on the cusp of something.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I would have to agree. I would like something of pmb-koivu-heatley and parise-granlund-coyle/clutterbuck

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:03 AM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Koivu is the problem. He's never gelled well with elite-ish talent. The naysayers can naysay all they want, but Gabby, Havlat, Heatley, and Parise prove a very clear point. Koivu's intangibles earn him a lot of credit but when it comes down to producing like a first line centre, he simply doesn't hit the mark. It's remarkable how much free reign he gets for being intense and curt, but at the end of the day, I personally think his tangibles speak way louder than his intangibles

Last edited by countrygentleman: 03-06-2013 at 12:16 AM.
countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:10 AM
OpRedDawn*

First line needs some creativity imo. Parise and koivu don't gel either

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:18 AM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
First line needs some creativity imo. Parise and koivu don't gel either
Non-creativity seems to be Koivu's MO unfortunately regardless of who he's with.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:12 AM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Try Parise with Granlund.

If that second line ever cools off, move Zucker to the first line.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:27 AM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

I like the lines. We have been winning with them, I wouldn't change it after one loss. 3 goals vs an elite team is pretty darn good, they could have had more too.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:40 AM
Gaps

Trade Koivu, it's the instant cure for any problem this team has. I've also heard it's actually the cure for AIDS.

Seriously speaking, Parise's going through a rough patch right now and Coyle's a rookie who isn't ready to play 1st line in the NHL yet. Parise was great at first and he does have chemistry with Koivu. Most players go through tougher phases and right now it's happening with Parise. Koivu had a slower phase too, but his production has picked up as of late. I think the same thing will happen with Parise, he's too good of a player to not pick up his game again, and blaming Koivu or anyone else for the slump is ridiculous. In the end every player is responsible for their own performance, their linemates can only do so much to help. Parise's also had quite a bit of bad luck lately, e.g. the almost-goal. When people here were all over Suter because of his early struggles, I said he'd pick up his game eventually, and he did. So will Parise.

As for Coyle, there will have to be a move of some kind when Clutter's healthy. Either someone (Coyle being the most likely candidate) going down or someone getting traded. If/when the 2nd line cools off, you could try Seto on the 1st line. Or even Zucker if he can play RW.

Last edited by Gaps: 03-06-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:26 AM
hirawl
Used Register

Parise -Koivu-Granlund
Zucker-Cullen- Seto
Heatley-Brodziak-Coyle
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

Let's go win hockey games.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:36 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Coyle's game isn't ready-enough to be a contributor on any sort of line the team has to depend on. He's just a guy out there along for the ride at this point in his development.

Much like most every other Yeo decision, don't understand it.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Koivu is the problem. He's never gelled well with elite-ish talent. The naysayers can naysay all they want, but Gabby, Havlat, Heatley, and Parise prove a very clear point. Koivu's intangibles earn him a lot of credit but when it comes down to producing like a first line centre, he simply doesn't hit the mark. It's remarkable how much free reign he gets for being intense and curt, but at the end of the day, I personally think his tangibles speak way louder than his intangibles
What's your problem? Every post you make out here is whining about how Koivu is the issue, which clearly isn't true.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

The important thing to focus on is Koivu. After all, his ppg this year are ahead of his career pace. Plus he leads the team in points by a margin of 3. PP & PK time, face-offs, on-ice time, etc. Yeah, he's really bringing the team down.

Here's a suggestion, focus on the local annointed one, Parise. Most games this year, he has done zip. Talk about under-achiever thus far. Suter was the key signing this summer, not Parise. The Wild have no elite NHL players, but in the group below, the stars, Parise is 3rd on the Wild in that ranking.

BTW, Mikko has as many even strength goals as Parise.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
Parise -Koivu-Granlund
Zucker-Cullen- Seto
Heatley-Brodziak-Coyle
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

I'd accept this.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Laredo

Nothing's wrong with the 2nd line but I'd like to see Zucker skate with koivu and parise sometime.

Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
What's your problem? Every post you make out here is whining about how Koivu is the issue, which clearly isn't true.
Under Koivu as captain (we'll even give you a full season more starting with 08-09 when he was captain on a rotating basis):

-ZERO playoff appearances
-Hasn't broken 25 goal mark
-Zero chemistry with stars such as Gabby, Havlat, Heatley, and now possibly Parise not gel with him. I mean, what's the point of acquiring these guys if they can't play with Koivu because Koivu can't play with them and the coach is too timid to remove the 'C' from Koivu and stick him on the second or third line?

At some point, you have to to look at his concrete numbers. Yes, he brings a lot of intangibles, but when do those intangibles outweigh the tangibles? I don't think they ever have. The captain is supposed to make his team better, push them to be the best players they can be. Koivu isn't even capable of that. Put Antti Miettinen and Brunette on his wings and he'll put up 60 points. Put Parise/Gabby/Havlat/Heater on his wings and he'll still only put up 60 points. At some point, that hurts the team. And it is hurting the team. Koivu is a great defensive player, but not one that should be anywhere near the first line or be team captain. His intangibles simply are not greater than his tangibles.

Last edited by countrygentleman: 03-06-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Was wrong about number of points Koivu.
Old
03-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Just leave it. Some people need a scapegoat and Mikko's perfect for that. No changing that. I just put these people on my 'ignored users' list.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:46 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Lol wut?
Koivu had 67 pts his first year as captain, 71 the year after, 62 the next, and 44 in 55 games last year.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

+1 to Coyle not being a factor on that line
+1 to potentially splitting them up

I'm just not seeing a hell of a lot out of Koivu for a lot of shifts. He looks tired and slow and refuses to shoot. Deferring too much to Parise maybe?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

i feel like that whole line has been invisible. Including Koivu, Parise, and especially Coyle. May putting another speedy winger who shoots on that line (Seto, Zucker)?

I wouldn't be opposed to splitting koivu and Parise up. At the same time that would require drastic line changes throughout the line up though.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
Parise -Koivu-Granlund
Zucker-Cullen- Seto
Heatley-Brodziak-Coyle
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

That would be long overdue.

Granlund should have been wing from the start, and Coyle still being on the firstline after the first 3 games there is quite enigmatic.
Granlund works better in an offensive role, now he is always hanging back in order to be defensively responsible. Koivu already being that kind of a player would free him up to use his talents more..... Maybe.

Henri M is offline   Reply With Quote