Old
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
6'9? That's a big boy
There's a Timberwolves joke in here that is too obvious to make.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Seems a bit light for a guy who has a great contract and is a very strong leader off hitter. Maybe the kid works out, but trading Span for just one player, a pitcher who's seen nothing but A ball likely won't turn out well. Maybe he lives up to his potential, but that's a long road to the MLB and for one of the team's better assets, it seems they came up a bit short, IMO.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-29-2012, 04:54 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Seems a bit light for a guy who has a great contract and is a very strong leader off hitter. Maybe the kid works out, but trading Span for just one player, a pitcher who's seen nothing but A ball likely won't turn out well. Maybe he lives up to his potential, but that's a long road to the MLB and for one of the team's better assets, it seems they came up a bit short, IMO.
I completely agree with this. Nice to see the front office try to address the problem and get better. No use in waiting. But trading for one guy who hasn't pitched past single A? Seems ballsy.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Pros: High-end prospect who fills a need for the Twins, better deal than the rumored Drew Sorren one, Minnesota has a ton of outfielders (both presently and prospects)

Cons: Doesn't help in 2013, Span is under team-control and affordable, another cut in the payroll despite a new stadium

Old
11-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Don't think Span would have brought back a quality starter on his own, maybe a nice reliever or back of the rotation guy. I'm okay with the move if they think Meyer could develop into a #1 guy.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
I liked Span a lot (I have his jersey in fact) but I think they had to do something like this. It was a bit detrimental to have both Span and Revere in the lineup with the lack of power the team has. I'm also a big Arcia fan and it's looking like they'll have to make room for him and Hicks sooner than later.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
I completely agree with this. Nice to see the front office try to address the problem and get better. No use in waiting. But trading for one guy who hasn't pitched past single A? Seems ballsy.
He was in high A ball last year and will likely start in AA this year.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think they should have traded an outfielder, but it should have been the guy who just had a career year and at his prime age. That's how you handle things when you're one of the worst teams in the league. Span still held value for this team and would still retain that type of value for the foreseeable future. No reason to move him in particular for a completely inferior player like Revere who I think is not not a capable everyday guy. He doesn't get on base near enough to be a top of the order guy, and he may as well just be kicking the ball towards infield instead of using his "arm." While his range is great, he's not a player they should be clearing space for, IMO.

The rest of the OF prospects have certainly shown their worth and are very much on their way, but I don't see the need to clear a path at this point in time. Just my take, though.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:08 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Can't wait to see our newest inconsistent power arm be ruined by "pitch to contact."

Obvious payroll move is obvious.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:11 PM
651*

Span was a genuinely decent guy. Hate to see him go but that's politics+pro sports for you. I do like Revere though as well.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
I think they should have traded an outfielder, but it should have been the guy who just had a career year and at his prime age. That's how you handle things when you're one of the worst teams in the league. Span still held value for this team and would still retain that type of value for the foreseeable future. No reason to move him in particular for a completely inferior player like Revere who I think is not not a capable everyday guy. He doesn't get on base near enough to be a top of the order guy, and he may as well just be kicking the ball towards infield instead of using his "arm." While his range is great, he's not a player they should be clearing space for, IMO.

The rest of the OF prospects have certainly shown their worth and are very much on their way, but I don't see the need to clear a path at this point in time. Just my take, though.
Completely agree with this, I would have rather seen Revere moved but it's been apparent for a while that the Twins were intending to move Span.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:29 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
I was hoping for immediate help. Our lineup(1-9) is as good as it will get for a while. And we get a pitcher who is a maybe two years away. I've heard good things about Meyer, I was just hoping we would have had a more "win now" attitude. Mauer, Morneau, and Willingham aren't getting any younger.

I'll trust Ryan on this one. Hope he turns out to be a 1-2 starter in a few years.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

I would guess Hammer is on the block next...although then you'd have a mediocre batting order with mediocre pitchers rather than a good batting order with terrible pitchers.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Can't wait to see our newest inconsistent power arm be ruined by "pitch to contact."

Payroll? Span had one of the most team-friendly contracts in all of baseball... Span was under team control for several more teams well under his market value.

This was a good baseball move. Move an organizational strength (centerfield depth) for an organizational weakness (power pitching).

There's question marks on all prospects, so Meyer is far from a sure thing, but he fits the profile of the type of player the Twins should have gone after in a Span trade.

And FWIW I absolutely have no faith in Ben Revere to be an every day centerfielder... and am one of Span's biggest fans... but this was the right move.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
I thought similar, but reading Gleeman's take on the deal walked me back a bit. The scouting services he's talked to (Baseball America, Keith Law, MLB.com) say Meyer will be in the 50-75 range of their top 100 lists (MLB.com's list is out and has him at #50). Getting a guy who would be the best pitching prospect in roughly 2/3rds of the systems in baseball and has top of the rotation upside. Span's a good player on a nice contract, but teams aren't exactly desperate to give up top of the rotation potential for someone who's more solid than star.

There's certainly risk involved, but Meyer's 22 years old and MLB.com pegs his ETA as 2014, so he's a bit closer than his never pitched above A ball status may suggest. Somebody more proven would have been nice, but I'm not sure that would have been a realistic expectation. It's at least a better deal than the Span for a middle reliever rumor from a year or so ago would have been, although that may be a textbook example of damning with faint praise.

Gleeman's take: http://aarongleeman.com/2012/11/30/t...ct-alex-meyer/

MLB.com's list: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/
Quote:

It isn't moving Span to clear way for Revere (who isn't that far off from the player Span's been the last 3 years, pretty much dead even when it comes to getting on base--his OBP last year was a smidgeon better than Span's in 2 of the last 3), it's moving him in order to address a major organizational weakness.

Willingham should certainly be on the block, but Span being as solid as he is isn't really enough to keep him off it in my eyes, so I can't quite get on board with that particular gripe.

I like Span, sucks to see him go, but at least the Twins are being proactive about addressing their dearth of non high 80's with good control types in their pitching pool.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post

Seems more like a 2013's not a priority move than a payroll move.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would have rather seen them move Morneau and Willingham. Morneau will be 32 next year, last year of his contract, had a relatively healthy and decent year. Hammer had a career year, will be 34, on a good contract, and would have some demand.

At least with Span and Mauer they are young enough that they could still be solid players for the Twins in a few years if/when the rotation gets squared away.

But getting a potential ace pitcher could be worth the risk. Looking at the numbers, Revere was pretty dang close to Span. Not quite as much power but a better base runner. Not as good defensively, but he's still pretty young.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Revere has more range but his arm wasn't as good. It's not that much of a stretch calling Revere better defensively.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
I'm ok with trading Span, I just wish we would have gotten more than a single pitcher who hasn't even seen AA ball yet, even if he is a high prospect. I'm sick of always trading for the "future" as it never seems to get here.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
My reaction: "Meh".

I'm in "wake me when we have a Major League pitching rotation" mode. So I probably won't give a damn about the Twins for a few more years.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vs packers today..the game where we finally reach .500 on the season

Old
12-02-2012, 01:45 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Rudolph making Ponder look almost decent.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:14 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Peterson.

That is all.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

That roughing the passer call was just awful, and it couldn't have been more important.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:51 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Crosby is done in GB.

Closed Thread