Notices

The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Rambis was never a proven Head Coach to begin with. Adelman has been .595 in over 1600 games.

I do believe Frazier is a better coach than Childress. Brad just had stacked teams.

Yeo is obviously miles ahead of Richards.

I really don't think its a coaching problem with these guys (questionable for the defensive side). As much as you can hate on Musgrave, he has the hardest job of all. Trying to polish a turd. His plays worked, we just couldn't execute. Both Ponder and these wide receivers either need to put up or shut up. They are both terrible.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Source

Whether any individual in this thread wants to admit it or not, drafting wide receivers in the first round is a crap shoot. With a team with as many holes as the Vikings still have, they need to pick up a quality player in the first round of the 2013 draft. Yeah, Harvin and Moss were picked at 22 and 21, but so were Matt Jones and Mark Clayton.

The Vikings need to fill out some of their other needs, and make later picks to fill out the "role player" type receiver spots as well before they start making high risk picks. They might need to pick a wideout in the first round to get the type of guy they need, but 2013 isn't the year they should be making that move.
It's a crap shoot, but if you don't take the chance you don't get the guy.

What "role player" are we talking here? They have two slot receivers and no deep threats. The big guys who run fast and can catch tend to go early.

If they don't draft WR in 2013, they'll probably get a QB in 2014...so maybe 2015? That's a long time to hope you find a gem in the later rounds.

Here's the top 20 WR's so far this year (using our fantasy points):

1. AJ Green (1, 4)
2. Brandon Marshall (4, 22)
3. Calvin Johnson (1, 2)
4. Reggie Wayne (1, 30)
5. Vincent Jackson (2, 29)
6. Demaryius Thomas (1, 22)
7. Andre Johnson (1, 3)
8. Roddy White (1, 27)
9. Victor Cruz (Undrafted)
10. Dez Bryant (1, 24)
11. Julio Jones (1, 6)
12. Wes Welker (Undrafted)
13. Randall Cobb (2, 32)
14. Marques Colston (7, 44)
15. Eric Decker (3, 23)
16. Percy Harvin (1, 22)
17. Torrey Smith (2, 26)
18. Cecil Shorts (4, 17)
19. Jordy Nelson (2, 5)
20. Andre Roberts (3, 24)

Top 10 has a LOT of guys drafted in the first. Second 10 has a lot of guys not drafted in the first.

So while it's true that drafting a WR in the first doesn't necessarily mean success, successful WR's are usually drafted in the first or fairly early.

At the least they need to get a WR in the top two rounds and two in the top four. IMO.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:51 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I really don't think its a coaching problem with these guys (questionable for the defensive side). As much as you can hate on Musgrave, he has the hardest job of all. Trying to polish a turd. His plays worked, we just couldn't execute. Both Ponder and these wide receivers either need to put up or shut up. They are both terrible.
The issue with Musgrave is he doesn't seem to adjust his playcalling for his personnel. He has Ponder and a bunch of no-name receivers who were dropping balls left and right. It's 3rd and 2 in four down territory. Why does anyone other than Peterson get the ball? If your team has been strong on the ground (Peterson averaged 6.0 yards per carry despite the Bears not needing to worry about the passing game) and have a first ballot hall of fame RB ready to go in the backfield, why the hell don't you use him?

It's not just this game either. The playcalling across the board has been questionable at the best of times. It's week 12 and Musgrave still hasn't meaningfully adjusted his calls to reflect the actual talent (or lack thereof) on the field.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's a crap shoot, but if you don't take the chance you don't get the guy.

What "role player" are we talking here? They have two slot receivers and no deep threats. The big guys who run fast and can catch tend to go early.

If they don't draft WR in 2013, they'll probably get a QB in 2014...so maybe 2015? That's a long time to hope you find a gem in the later rounds.

Here's the top 20 WR's so far this year (using our fantasy points):

1. AJ Green (1, 4)
2. Brandon Marshall (4, 22)
3. Calvin Johnson (1, 2)
4. Reggie Wayne (1, 30)
5. Vincent Jackson (2, 29)
6. Demaryius Thomas (1, 22)
7. Andre Johnson (1, 3)
8. Roddy White (1, 27)
9. Victor Cruz (Undrafted)
10. Dez Bryant (1, 24)
11. Julio Jones (1, 6)
12. Wes Welker (Undrafted)
13. Randall Cobb (2, 32)
14. Marques Colston (7, 44)
15. Eric Decker (3, 23)
16. Percy Harvin (1, 22)
17. Torrey Smith (2, 26)
18. Cecil Shorts (4, 17)
19. Jordy Nelson (2, 5)
20. Andre Roberts (3, 24)

Top 10 has a LOT of guys drafted in the first. Second 10 has a lot of guys not drafted in the first.

So while it's true that drafting a WR in the first doesn't necessarily mean success, successful WR's are usually drafted in the first or fairly early.

At the least they need to get a WR in the top two rounds and two in the top four. IMO.
Two of the top five WR weren't drafted in the first. Eleven of the top twenty weren't drafted in the first. Twelve of the eighteen draftees were drafted with picks from winning record teams (without a real close inspection, I'm not sure whether those teams owning the picks were winning record ones or not) with five from teams with awful records and only one in the middle of the pack. In fact, almost all of those top end players were brought into a team that was doing well. The ones who weren't were all top 5 overall picks (Julio Jones was selected by a good team in Atlanta). If you're looking for correlation out of that list, it tells you to get a good team together before you pick up a WR. The Vikings need to fix the rest of their roster before bringing in a WR.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They have a lot of holes to fill but WR can't be ignored. It's an offensive league, you can't win with just a defense and an elite RB.

15/20 of those WR's were drafted in the top three rounds. A lot easier to get talented WR's early than late. That's the point.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They have a lot of holes to fill but WR can't be ignored. It's an offensive league, you can't win with just a defense and an elite RB.

15/20 of those WR's were drafted in the top three rounds. A lot easier to get talented WR's early than late. That's the point.
40% success rate. That's the point.

The WR who were picked early and turned out were generally brought into a good environment. Drafting a first round WR means we're not drafting anything else in the first, where the best talent is found. No one is suggesting "never drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds" like you're trying to imply. A high end WR is something you bring in to cap off a team, not something you try to build a team around. This team can feel free to use 2nd and 3rd round picks on wideouts if they want in the draft, but they need to use their first rounder to actually fix one of their many remaining holes.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

If Manti T'eo is there when we draft, I want him to be a Viking very badly. Won't happen though. His mid-to-late 1st projection has turned into a top 5. Want an elite linebacker.. still need a corner.. still need a receiver. Will eventually need another defensive tackle. Shouldn't be too hard to find those with this regime...

Old
11-26-2012, 11:29 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
If Manti T'eo is there when we draft, I want him to be a Viking very badly. Won't happen though. His mid-to-late 1st projection has turned into a top 5. Want an elite linebacker.. still need a corner.. still need a receiver. Will eventually need another defensive tackle. Shouldn't be too hard to find those with this regime...
That sounds like one of tyratoku's ridiculous Madden names and not a real person.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

What! He's one of those rare defensive Heisman candidates. LB for Notre Dame. He's a beast.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:37 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

After seeing he's Samoan and from Hawaii, I can give the name a pass, but "Barkevious Mingo" is just wrong.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:15 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
T'eo would be awesome. But I do think he will be gone when we pick.. I could see us going for a WR, maybe Hunter from Tennesee, or Keenan Allen from Cal would be awesome. The management needs Ponder to succeed in order to keep their jobs, getting offensive help will be important to them IMO.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

At the risk of being accused of setting an "arbitrary cutoff date", I would like to point out that no 1st round receiver has really "busted" since 2007. Not all of them have played to their draft positions (DHB or Crabtree or even Blackmon so far this year), but I feel that the 40% success rate is a bit misleading. Even the 3 that I listed above could be more a product of their environment, rather than their abilities.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Meh. Bet Michael Floyd (Arizona's 2012 1st) will bust. Unless the WR is built like Megatron, I would't draft one in the 1st.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Michael Floyd won't bust. Hes from Minnesota. Minnesotans can't bust.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
At the risk of being accused of setting an "arbitrary cutoff date", I would like to point out that no 1st round receiver has really "busted" since 2007. Not all of them have played to their draft positions (DHB or Crabtree or even Blackmon so far this year), but I feel that the 40% success rate is a bit misleading. Even the 3 that I listed above could be more a product of their environment, rather than their abilities.
It's not so much an "arbitrary cutoff date" as it is "really really tiny sample size."

2008 didn't have any WR selected in the first round, so you're really talking about 2009-2012.

In 2009 you had Crabtree and Heyward-Bey as top 10 picks who have been pretty good. Maclin and Harvin came out of the late middle and have been good (now that Harvin's migraine issue seems to be resolved). Nicks has outperformed his draft position, but Britt is borderline for being successful right now. All in all, 2009 was an unusually good year for WR.

The 2010 draft only had 2 WR selected, both late in the round. Thomas was very gradually let into the lineup, starting just 7 games in his first two seasons, but has had a breakout year this year. A team like the Vikings would force him into a bigger role sooner, and that could really make or break a player like that for his success or failure. Dez Bryant has worked out, but he's the kind of player you really don't want in your locker room.

The 2011 draft is getting into the "too recent to call" type territory. Green and Jones were top 6 picks, which aren't comparable to the rest of the round. The only other WR picked is Baldwin who has been unimpressive at best for a terrible KC team.

The 2012 draft is way too recent to call, but Michael Floyd could easily end up a bust, and A.J. Jenkins has yet to play an NFL game.

If you ignore 2009 for a moment, there's 9 WR who were selected, and we're potentially looking at 6 of them being successful picks. That's still only a 67% success rate, and two of the successful players are ones I wouldn't want anywhere near my team's locker room.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
That's the starter. He's under utilized in the offense.
Agreed. Needs a bigger role

Quote:
Both guards need replacing. In rotation, he's constantly being replaced by Schwartz. He's a backup.
Possibly. Fusco is still young and was a 6th round pick out of a no-name school. I'm happy with his development so far in his career. Obviously he needs to take his game to the next level. But it cannot be argued he outplayed the expectations anyone has of a 6th round pick.

Quote:
Ponder is only a starter because Webb is worse at QB (though I don't know by how much)
Not going to defend Ponder much. He's been awful, but still too early in his career to completely write him off.

Quote:
It was.
End debate?

Quote:
But he's a starter. Ballard is okay.
I was under the impression that sanford had won the job back... either way a 6th round pick capable of being a solid backup, another good pick.

Quote:
Actually it was.
I disagree, I believe it was a top heavy draft. Lots of talented QB's available, looks like the vikings chose wrong (should have picked dalton, a QB i'll admit to hating on draft day)

Vikings didn't have a 3rd round pick, Ballard & Brandon Burton were misses considering draft position but the Vikings nailed the end of the draft getting quality value out of the 6th and 7th round

IMO it's a C level draft.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:01 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If the goal is to get Ponder a legit receiver to help him in what will be a dire season for his future as NFL QB, I don't see how drafting a 1st Round receiver helps him in the least. They need to be looking to the market (trade or FA) to attempt to get that done and then throw a mid round pick (like one of their 4ths) and see where that gets them. Their first pick is going to be much better allocated to a player who's at least going to have some sort of impact.

Did this mock several weeks back but figured I'd post it because it's around what I would like to see done......

Cuts
TE | John Carlson
WR | Michael Jenkins
G | Charlie Johnson (camp)

Not Retained
DT | Kevin Williams
LB | Jasper Brinkley
LB | Erin Henderson
LB | Tyrone McKenzie
CB | Marcus Sherels
S | Jamarca Sanford
S | Andrew Sendejo
WR | Jerome Simpson
C | Joe Berger

Re-signed
RB | Matt Asiata
FB | Jerome Felton
WR | Devin Aromashodu
RG | Geoff Schwartz
RT | Phil Loadholt
LB | Marvin Mitchell
CB | A.J. Jefferson

Offseason
Minnesota Vikings trade Toby Gerhart to the Pittsburgh Steelers in exchange for:

With the Steelers having to make a decision with Mike Wallace (who they'll likely hang on to) and having just paid Brown at the position, this makes the RFA Emmanuel Sanders somewhat expendable. Sanders is a talented option that sort of gets lost in the shuffle in Pitt. With all the Pittsburgh backs up for free agency of some sort, they make a play for Gerhart who doesn't make much sense in the Vikings backfield at this juncture. Swapping out a back who's not going to get much run, injury not withstanding, for a vet receiver who you believe has some upside makes some sense from the Vikings perspective.

Free Agency

With Atlanta needing some wiggle room and important decisions to be made on Grimes, Baker, Moore, and Gonzalez; someone is going to get away. I like that to be Moore. From the Vikings perspective they bring on another legitimate safety to pair with Smith and give themselves some stability at the position moving forward. Also helps to have a pair of safeties who won't be afraid to put a body on a receiver that comes over the middle to expose a zone.

Dorsey is your definition of a prospect who was miscast in a system from the get go. While he really isn't the player many thought he would be at the stage when he left LSU, he's still a quality tackle who will fill the void left by Kevin Williams in the event that the team wishes to get younger at the position. Which they have shown across the board, really.

Draft

Put simply, the Vikings need to get markedly better up the middle of their offensive line. Going out and getting the best guard in the draft (although I believe DeCastro was the better prospect of the two) goes a long way in doing so.

I feel the same way about Brown as I did Daryl Washington when he was coming out of TCU; just an electric player in space. Like Washington, Brown is being projected as an outside linebacker at the next level but when you run the defense the Vikings do and have deficiencies in space that we continue to see, this is the type of player you plug in and let roam the middle of the defense.

When you watch Ohio State, Simon is the player that immediately jumps out at you. He can line up all over the field, while his unrelenting motor consistently pressures the offense. His less than ideal frame will drop him to about this range but he has the character and versatility that this front office tends to look for.

After moving Gerhart, the Vikings need to address some of their running back depth. Asiata can provide the handful of short yardage situations that Gerhart would spell Peterson for, but what the Vikings lack is a change of pace back who can be a threat with the ball in his hands. Enter Barner.

After seeing Duke a handful of times the past year+, Vernon is a player that will stick out. Runs routes very cleanly and is your ideal possession receiver. He reminds me some of Eric Decker in that while not an explosive player, if you absolutely need a distance to pick up, more often than not Vernon is going to get it.

Attaochu is essentially an athletic freak running around learning linebacker on the fly. Extremely unpolished but is asked to do a lot of things in the Georgia Tech defense. He plays out in space often and has the tools to do so at a high level, but he's at his best when flowing downhill.

Freeman is center that is actually pretty well regarded that's mostly getting lost in the depth of this class. He moves well and has the frame to bulk up at the next level. A nice project who can eventually find himself at guard and be a sound insurance option for Sullivan.

Cheatham brings dynamic speed in a compact package. At this stage, he's purely a developmental player with some projectable tools.

Depth Chart

QB - Christian Ponder | Joe Webb | McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB - Adrian Peterson | Matt Asiata | Kenjon Barner
FB - Jerome Felton
WR - Percy Harvin | Emmanuel Sanders | Conner Vernon | Devin Aromashodu | Stephen Burton | Jarius Wright
TE - Kyle Rudolph | Rhett Ellison | Allen Reisner
LT - Matt Kalil
LG - Chance Warmack | Mark Asper
C - John Sullivan | Dalton Freeman
RG - Brandon Fusco | Geoff Schwartz
RT - Phil Loadholt | DeMarcus Love

LDE - Brian Robison | John Simon | D'Aundre Reed
DT - Glenn Dorsey | Christian Ballard
DT - Letroy Guion | Fred Evans
RDE - Jared Allen | Everson Griffen
SLB - Chad Greenway | Larry Dean
MLB - Arthur Brown | Audie Cole
WLB - Marvin Mitchell | Jeremiah Attaochu
LCB - Antoine Winfield | Josh Robison | Brandon Burton
RCB - Chris Cook | A.J. Jefferson | Camerron Cheatham
SS - William Moore | Mistral Raymond
FS - Harrison Smith | Robert Blanton

LOS - Cullen Loeffler
K - Blair Walsh

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-26-2012, 07:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

As much as I agree that the defense needs a lot of work, isn't that a bit much on the turnover front at the linebacker position? Greenway and Mitchell would be the only true vets with the third most experienced guy being a current second year player with 11 tackles to his name at the moment.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
As much as I agree that the defense needs a lot of work, isn't that a bit much on the turnover front at the linebacker position? Greenway and Mitchell would be the only true vets with the third most experienced guy being a current second year player with 11 tackles to his name at the moment.
Yes and no. Brinkley currently rates as one of the very worst linebackers starting, league-wide. Meanwhile Henderson is on the field for 1/2-1/3 of the defensive snaps depending on the game.

Turnover there would be very much needed at this stage given the play of this grouping. Mitchell certainly wouldn't be a stand out but given the amount of time he'd be ask to be on the field and the level of play we currently see from Henderson, it's not going to be a meaningful difference. Besides, at this stage Brown likely has moved into first round draft pick territory anyway and will only go higher once he shows up to the combine and runs...

Old
11-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Good read tp. But I don't think you noticed, but you have us drafting a white guy from Duke. This ain't basketball. Just sayin'.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:38 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
I do like Sanders and he would be a great addition to this team. It still wouldn't solve our WR issues though. IMO we still need a big physical guy who can stretch the field. Harvin is great, but he would dominate if we had another legit target. Especially since Harvin is used in the slot or even in the backfield occasionally. Another Redzone target opposite Rudolph would take this offense to a new level.

The Bear's got Marshall for two 3rd round picks. I can't believe we didn't take a chance on him. So much talent there and he has been lighting it up for Chicago.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

I don't like the idea of letting sanford go. I don't believe he'll be expensive and has been solid this year. I like the idea of getting him some competition... but not let go.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:20 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Do we really need a corner? They haven't been that bad. Cook is banged up as always but he's a talented corner. So is Robinson. Need a receiver and a defensive tackle. We have nada for defensive tackles.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:53 AM
forthewild

Vikes passed on getting Vincent Jackson from the chargers which was a huge mistake, with him and harvin on the field along with AP, that would be nightmare situation.

No matter what we need to get a 2nd quality WR, i like what i'm seeing from Jarius Wright, he's young but he's got some skill, he would be a good number 3, get a number two opposite harvin and shore up the offensive line a bit.

Our defense does need a lot of work, like the front 4, and Harris Smith but beyond that we need to get better.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php has us taking ustin Hunter WR from Tennessee

Old
11-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As usual TP knows way more about this kind of thing than I do. So essentially you want to shore up the offensive and defensive line and improve the LB position and potentially add one target for Ponder? Is that enough? And would that address the problems on the defensive line enough?

I like the concept of improving the OL and DL and LB and adding another potential starter at CB or S...but I'd have to think waiting two years to address the WR position would make it incredibly difficult to evaluate Ponder.

Closed Thread